Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Comments from Ragnow

Started by WilsonHog, October 15, 2017, 11:17:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

From Clay Henry's article on Whole Hog Sports:

On the offensive line:

"I probably made some errors, but I tried to play my butt off. Zach deserved a chance to start at center. I think Brian Wallace deserved a shot to play right tackle."

"I believe in these guys. The vibe was way better tonight than at South Carolina. Of course, I want to see the tape, but I don't think anyone folded or backed down."

"I don't think we played physical against South Carolina. Our attitude wasn't right, especially in the second half. I didn't see heads down tonight."

On Cole Kelley:

"Cole believes he can beat the New England Patriots. That's what Coach B says and I believe that."

"It's rare to see that in a redshirt freshman. He's the type of guy that you feed off of his energy. He believes. He is going to have some growing pains, but he's got the right attitude, the right mindset."

jgphillips3

I think they were better.  Admittedly, that isn't saying a whole lot, but that 5 has potential.

HogFoo

It may not have looked like it, but the OL played much better.  They held their blocks.  Gave Kelley some time to pass.  Had this been the starting lineup from the start of the season, i think we probably only have 1 loss right now and that would have been to bama.  I mean, there's just so much you can do when they are all out blitzing every single play, but ya know what, with the #1 team with big disparity in talent level is blitzing every single play, we still managed to keep them out of the backfield more often than not.  Now, i hope that we can build off this and grow.  It sucks that the team looked scared early on in the game.  They kept dropping passes and making little mistakes.  Finally the defense and the offense both kind of settled in.  like i said i may not have looked as good as we all want it to be, but it was much better.  i am still pissed at KA for being a bad OL coach.  i really hope that if Bielema is kept that he gets rid of Anderson!   Who knows, with the new OL, perhaps we can start a new season from here out.  from the sounds of it, i dont think Allen is coming back for a while.  they tried to say he might be back this weekend or the next but i am afraid he is out longer than that.  and  to be honest, i kind of like the change of QB play.  it gave everyone a breath of fresh air.  hopefully Kelley gets more time to step into his passes against auburn instead of just throwing balls with pure arm alone.  we'll see!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 15, 2017, 11:17:10 pm

On the offensive line:

"I probably made some errors, but I tried to play my butt off. Zach deserved a chance to start at center. I think Brian Wallace deserved a shot to play right tackle."

"I believe in these guys. The vibe was way better tonight than at South Carolina. Of course, I want to see the tape, but I don't think anyone folded or backed down."

"I don't think we played physical against South Carolina. Our attitude wasn't right, especially in the second half. I didn't see heads down tonight."

On Cole Kelley:

"Cole believes he can beat the New England Patriots. That's what Coach B says and I believe that."

"It's rare to see that in a redshirt freshman. He's the type of guy that you feed off of his energy. He believes. He is going to have some growing pains, but he's got the right attitude, the right mindset."
Confirms what I have seen on the field for all games previous to Alabama game. Attitude has been terrible. They look like they don't fully care. Pitiful.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

chiti66

I thought the line played much better as well.  But I really think that this is our best line-up:

LT   Ragnow
LG  Froholdt
C   Rogers
RG Gibson
RT  Wallace

smb

On the offensive line:

On Cole Kelley:

It is the coaches job to get the team ready every game so is he saying mid way thru the season they are still trying to find themselves.
GeorgiaHOG

Cambridge Hog

Just from those comments I get the idea they didn't like playing for/with Austin. They rallied around Steamboat.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

There was a camera shot of the  team coming out on the field to start the USCe game and I told myself then they've already lost. Their heads were down and they were mooping around.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Al Boarland

October 16, 2017, 05:39:40 am #8 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:36:26 am by Al Boarland
We're about to find out how much better they play. They will be going against a D-line very bit as if or better than Bama.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: chiti66 on October 16, 2017, 03:07:48 am
I thought the line played much better as well.  But I really think that this is our best line-up:

LT   Ragnow
LG  Froholdt
C   Rogers
RG Gibson
RT  Wallace
THIS. Ive been advocating for this lineup for weeks now. We finally got Wallace on the field (still need answers on what took so long) now if we can get Ragnow moved to LT things will be looking up
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawgdavis

That was a shot at AA " the right attitude ,the right mind set" wow.
Tell me who you think the players believe in and want to play for AA or CK

Hog N Bama

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 16, 2017, 12:19:18 am
Confirms what I have seen on the field for all games previous to Alabama game. Attitude has been terrible. They look like they don't fully care. Pitiful.
I think Kurt Anderson ruined this team

Hog N Bama

Quote from: hawgdavis on October 16, 2017, 06:30:58 am
Well the truth is the truth. CK is a LEADER

Inhogswetrust

It wasn't a shot against any other player. My question is why has it taken this long into the season to start tinkering with something obviously not working from the outset.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgon

So you have the leader of the offensive line saying what we've all known for a long time, that they were not playing the right players.   Now, imagine your "attitude, if you also knew that as QB and you had to go out game after game and get pummeled because coach was insistent on playing "his guys" instead of the best players.

Boarsnest

Would be interesting to have been in the huddle with Allen. His demeanor on the field shows him to be a QB that comes into the huddle blaming others rather than being a leader and taking charge. I could be way off base here but it sure appears that way. This once again falls back on the coaches, if the QB has an attitude and the line and backs don't want to block for him, you have to bench him or whatever it takes to get his attention. This is a pretty telling statement by Frank.

It also seems to be a shot at coaches playing the wrong guys and playing them in the wrong positions. This is also not acceptable this far into the season in your 5th year. The head coach is supposed to be the general, if a position coach is making poor decisions, the head coach needs to step in and over ride the position coach and replace him if he can't do his job.

I'm not sure if Bret can't make decisions as a head coach or if he don't want to upset his buddies, whatever the problem is, things are not working out! The responsibility falls squarely on his shoulders!!!

twistitup

Ragnow sounds more like a coach than CBB- good w media, sincere and intelligent

I like straight shooters- not bullshitters
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

AirWarren

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 15, 2017, 11:19:10 pm
I think they were better.  Admittedly, that isn't saying a whole lot, but that 5 has potential.

Cole is respected. Way more than Austin.

You could see the distaste on Austin's face on the sideline. He just acts like a baby. Quarterbacks. Even second and third string or injured starters have their headsets on. Are engaged. Helping with play calls.

I think it's should be Cole's team Now. Time to move forward.

AirWarren

Quote from: twistitup on October 16, 2017, 07:12:40 am
Ragnow sounds more like a coach than CBB- good w media, sincere and intelligent

I like straight shooters- not bullshitters

Loved seeing saban continue coaching and yelling at his back up players. That man coaches until the last second is off.

twistitup

Quote from: AP85 on October 16, 2017, 07:14:57 am
Loved seeing saban continue coaching and yelling at his back up players. That man coaches until the last second is off.

I agree- you don't see blank stares from Saban - always fully involved - plugged in

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: AP85 on October 16, 2017, 07:13:57 am
Cole is respected. Way more than Austin.

You could see the distaste on Austin's face on the sideline. He just acts like a baby. Quarterbacks. Even second and third string or injured starters have their headsets on. Are engaged. Helping with play calls.

I think it's should be Cole's team Now. Time to move forward.
I hadn't even thought about that. I saw him on the sideline looking pissed though. Seems like he was more worried about himself than the team
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

SemperFi

The OL did play better, but they were still overmatched by Bama's superior talent and speed. Pass protection is still a major issue and if they cannot hold their blocks then BB and DE need to rethink the passing game to cover up this deficiency. I'm coming off my, "run blocking was atrocious" remark as they did manage to open up some holes and held their own against Bama's DL, but it was Bama's 2nd level that was totally disrupting the running game. They have the speed and size to plug a hole and to stop even our two biggest backs in their tracks. Our LB's are nowhere equal to anything that Bama has and we need those type of players if we're going to have an SEC defense. Still, Ragnow deserves better than BB and KA finally putting an OL out there that can give us a chance to win. That is piss poor coaching!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

FATHAWG08

Starting O-line Looked better. When the Offense started playing at a quicker pace I thought we played better. Also when we brought  pressure on defense we made plays in the Bama backfield. It's to bad it took this long to get the best O-line on the field & for our coaches to quit playing scared on Defense. They looked like they finally let the players play on Defense by blitzing and putting pressure on Alabama in stead of the passive slow Death Defense we been using for the last 3 years.
I love off season Football!!

hawgon

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 16, 2017, 07:19:31 am
I hadn't even thought about that. I saw him on the sideline looking pissed though. Seems like he was more worried about himself than the team

No, just no.  They showed Allen on the sidelines a bunch and he always had the head phones on.  They showed him talking to CK and offering encouragement numerous times. 

This whole thing is a crap show.  AA's play in the first half of the year last year is the ONLY reason Fat Bert is not looking down the barrel of two losing seasons in a row. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

younghog

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on October 16, 2017, 04:33:22 am
Just from those comments I get the idea they didn’t like playing for/with Austin. They rallied around Steamboat.

I can see that a bit.. Not that they didn't like Playing Behind Austin.. But could have been they knew who was HOT and who could do better things.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Bebop

Quote from: hawgon on October 16, 2017, 06:43:19 am
So you have the leader of the offensive line saying what we've all known for a long time, that they were not playing the right players.   Now, imagine your "attitude, if you also knew that as QB and you had to go out game after game and get pummeled because coach was insistent on playing "his guys" rinstead of the best players.

I know this sounds like I am going to be mean to Bielema, but is he dumber than what we realize?

I say that because fans seem to know something is up when a last year starter is being benched over a walk-on and, also, when the leader of the Oline makes comments like that concerning the Oline. Why is it that?

Something isn't right, and it is either due to negligence, ignorance, and/or arrogance.

hoglady

So you have the leader of the offensive line saying what we've all known for a long time, that they were not playing the right players.   Now, imagine your "attitude, if you also knew that as QB and you had to go out game after game and get pummeled because coach was insistent on playing "his guys" instead of the best players.

No kidding.
Everyone wants to pile on AA - but he's the one who's taken the physical punishment over the past 2 years due to poor coaching decisions.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

SDZ_Hog

"Zach deserved a chance to start at center. I think Brian Wallace deserved a shot to play right tackle."

August 31st just called and is looking for Enos, Anderson and 4.4 million dollar man.   

hawgdavis

Yea
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 16, 2017, 06:42:11 am
It wasn't a shot against any other player. My question is why has it taken this long into the season to start tinkering with something obviously not working from the outset.

I'm pretty sure it was. He was asked about CK and didn't just want to come right out and point a finger. I have thought this was a problem from very early on in the season that the offense wasn't really behind AA anymore because of the attitude. In AA's defense anyone who takes that kind of beating from a season ago and to start the season that way again would probably be the same way but you must let it go and move on to the next play. I think BA was able to do it and push through and that's why the team had his back.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bebop on October 16, 2017, 08:20:08 am
I know this sounds like I am going to be mean to Bielema, but is he dumber than what we realize?

I say that because fans seem to know something is up when a last year starter is being benched over a walk-on and, also, when the leader of the Oline makes comments like that concerning the Oline. Why is it that?

Something isn't right, and it is either due to negligence, ignorance, and/or arrogance.

All of the above maybe?

NaturalStateReb

On the offensive line:

On Cole Kelley:

Sounds like a tender way of saying, "we have the wrong personnel at the wrong positions, coach."
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hogeration

If there is a delayed blitz/pressure through the left guard's gap, it is a sack every time.

hoglady

Ya'll shouldn't let BB off the hook on this by blaming everything on Allen.

The Ragnow statement was an indictment of Bielema and his poor coaching decisions.
Whatever bad attitude Allen has displayed - it's cause rests squarely at the feet of the head coach.
He has allowed Allen to get beat to a pulp week after week for the last 2 years while he tries his "Oline projects". Obviously better players being wasted on the bench. Frustration sets in after a while when you're the one taking the physical hits.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogeration on October 16, 2017, 08:27:02 am
If there is a delayed blitz/pressure through the left guard's gap, it is a sack every time.

I've watched the lg go to the second level to pick up a LB, the LT take the DE leaving a DT to rush through untouched NUMEROUS times. 

Polecat

Quote from: chiti66 on October 16, 2017, 03:07:48 am

LT   Ragnow
LG  Froholdt
C   Rogers
RG Gibson
RT  Wallace

I'd like to see someone get a chance over Froholt.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

forrest city joe

I have been saying this all year. and if i can see it sitting here in my house. you know these coaches can see it. coach B and his coaches have been stubborn and playing favorites with these players.and it has cost the Hogs this season.they have not put their best players on the field.this has been pure Maifeasance. it makes me sick!

The NewEra

How much better would this team have performed offensively if the same lineup that played on the O-Line Saturday night had practiced and played together through fall camp and up to the Bama game?  It's my belief we would have been seeing a much more competitive group with the continuity these guys would have developed.

The constant tinkering around with this O-Line has prevented them from improving.  It's hard to understand how any coach would have allowed this in his fifth season.

forrest city joe

He got AA hurt with this BS. now he changes up the OL. he and Anderson and Enos all need to go.

Razorback2010

Quote from: Boarsnest on October 16, 2017, 07:05:08 am
Would be interesting to have been in the huddle with Allen. His demeanor on the field shows him to be a QB that comes into the huddle blaming others rather than being a leader and taking charge. I could be way off base here but it sure appears that way. This once again falls back on the coaches, if the QB has an attitude and the line and backs don't want to block for him, you have to bench him or whatever it takes to get his attention. This is a pretty telling statement by Frank.

If I had been hit more than any other quarter back in college football for 19 games, I might blame some people too.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Razorback2010 on October 16, 2017, 08:58:52 am
If I had been hit more than any other quarter back in college football for 19 games, I might blame some people too.
Me and you both.this crap is on the coach.

Redhogs

Quote from: hoglady on October 16, 2017, 08:29:18 am

The Ragnow statement was an indictment of Bielema and his poor coaching decisions.
Whatever bad attitude Allen has displayed - it's cause rests squarely at the feet of the head coach.
He has allowed Allen to get beat to a pulp week after week for the last 2 years while he tries his "Oline projects". Obviously better players being wasted on the bench. Frustration sets in after a while when you're the one taking the physical hits.
Arkansas..the only program in college football where a coach loses 41-9 and some idiot fans talk like it saved his job...just mind boggling.  We are the worst team in the SEC...let that sink in....year 5 of his great coaching accomplishments here.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

island hog

Quote from: Polecat on October 16, 2017, 08:36:06 am
I'd like to see someone get a chance over Froholt.
Why do you say that?

The NewEra

What I have found stunning is how cavalier this coaching staff has been about the weekly beatings Allen was taking.  It went against everything Bielema had been preaching about player safety and the dangers of a player taking big hits over a sustained period of time.  They purchased covers for the linemen's helmets to protect them for just that sort of punishment.  Yes, those are to prevent concussions, but the same principal still applies.

Hoggish1

On the offensive line:

On Cole Kelley:

Well, well, that about says it all.  Who is to blame for these O-lineman not playing till now?

Rayzback

West, yes. The Battle Line 'Rivalry' may be for the worst of the worst.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Danny J

Quote from: hoglady on October 16, 2017, 08:29:18 am

Exactly...projects with arguably a lot less talent than the guys behind them. It's sad it has taken his seat being on fire for him to finally stop focusing on anything but what happens on Saturday. We can only speculate why he has been playing favorites whether they are great practice players, they use better technique, they listen to coaches more intently, have higher GPA's and show up on time early to meetings. Have heard mentioned that Rogers was not starting because of his size which is absolutely ridiculous to think our best lineup is not on the field because they are not gonna make us the "biggest o line in all of football".

Wish someone would ask for specifics in press conferences. Then press for clarification if talking points are being spewed.

Oklahawg

I will boldly suggest that this explains more than it appears. If your SR QB has better technical skills (and he does) then you still trot him out there. But, you begin to realize that you don't play Wallace because AA has the yips with Bwall at RT. And, you play Clary and Ramirez because you have to run because AA is antsy in the pocket. Then, AA overcompensates for being told he is antsy and holds the ball too long.

Switch the QB and you limit what you can do, somewhat, but you also allow a full compliment of players on the field.

I once had an old computer that I refused to retire with an upgrade to a newer model. It had every document I needed, all the tools I used, etc., but I finally realized that it kept me from doing my work efficiently, and that there were certain utilities it was incapable of performing. So, I did the extra work - new computer, added on features as I found that I needed them still, copied all the old docs to storage drives (pre-cloud days, lol) so I'd have them, etc. I was able to do things I didn't dream of before. It was a breath of fresh air once executed, but it was hard to make the move.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hoggish1

Quote from: HogFoo on October 15, 2017, 11:49:38 pm

i am still pissed at KA for being a bad OL coach.  i really hope that if Bielema is kept that he gets rid of Anderson!   Who knows, with the new OL, perhaps we can start a new season from here out.  from the sounds of it, i dont think Allen is coming back for a while.  they tried to say he might be back this weekend or the next but i am afraid he is out longer than that.  and  to be honest, i kind of like the change of QB play.  it gave everyone a breath of fresh air.  hopefully Kelley gets more time to step into his passes against auburn instead of just throwing balls with pure arm alone.  we'll see!

If the O-line can gell this very well may be a new season.  First half weird for no reasonm, 2nd have yet to be determined but could be a different story and a turn around is possible.

All the jackwagons that said it was a loss, get used to it—it's what we do, etc. are not able to see what this team could become in the 2nd half. 

I don't fear Auburn because I hate them too much for that petty emotion.

twistitup

Ragnow.....speaking his mind - I LOVE IT.

It sounds almost like he's tired of being quiet and it's now time to be a VOCAL leader - even if that means throwing a coach or two under 'the bus'.

Players have been throw under that same bus by the coaching staff....and now Ragnow feels it's time to say what is in his heart. We are not getting political, coach speak from Ragnow. It's real - he doesn't agree with who has been playing on the Oline previous to 'bama.

CBB, Enos, Anderson, etc....should all go - what a bunch of jackwagons