Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our "New" 3-4 Defense

Started by Teddyhawgeddy, October 15, 2017, 08:21:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddyhawgeddy

Is holding Conference opponents to a 46 ppg average (it would be higher but Saban felt sorry for us and refused to pass in the 2nd half) With all this talk about Bert I'm thinking that is where the first change will occur.

HoggyCat

That's not entirely accurate. Take out defensive touchdowns (3 vs USCe). I hate where we're at as much as anyone, and do not like the D.C., but at least use facts.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

DeltaBoy

October 15, 2017, 09:37:41 pm #2 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:58:30 pm by DeltaBoy
IT's The 34 Hole Swiss cheese Defense
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Sed76

Sucks just as bad as last year. Just out of curiosity anyone know how Minnesota is doing defensively this year since our previous DC was supposedly our problem last year?

gchamblee

why did you put new in quotes? we ran a 4-3 last year and are running a 3-4 this year so it is new. its not sneaky new and there is no asterisk.

jgphillips3

It was always going to take at least a half a season to get in rythym defensively.  Right now, teams know that our players don't always know their assignments and are still having to think rather than just react.  That's where most of the busts are coming from.  We'll see what happens the rest of the way.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 15, 2017, 09:37:41 pm
IT's The 34 Hole Swiss cheese Defense

I'm sure that makes sense to you, somehow.
This is my non-signature signature.

Pig in the Pokey

switching to an entirely new defense in year 5. Starting a true freshman 2* walk-on at guard in year 5. Playing obviously injured players. Being a sloppy, unhealthy, undisciplined mess while preaching hard-nosed character. Dude is obviously not the answer.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Kevin

I like the defense, when we blitz and play with our hair on fire. we finally blitzed the A gap Saturday night.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on October 16, 2017, 08:18:45 am
I like the defense, when we blitz and play with our hair on fire. we finally blitzed the A gap Saturday night.

And it worked!!!! 

Also, I'm not sure the defense is completely resposnsible for all these points.  Averaging 35 yard punts doesn't help either

Hogwild

Quote from: Sed76 on October 15, 2017, 09:40:18 pm
Sucks just as bad as last year. Just out of curiosity anyone know how Minnesota is doing defensively this year since our previous DC was supposedly our problem last year?

25th defense in the nation, had them at #1 defense through their first 3 games, but have given up 31,31,30, in their 3 Big 10 losses.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

We aren't able to get pressure on the qb with a 3 man rush, but not many teams not named bama are successful with it. When we blitz it nullifies that weakness. My biggest problem is linebackers being out of place OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Bama scored on the 1st play of the game because a linebacker was out of place and left a huge gap. Discipline and awareness are huge in the 3-4. One person out of position can allow the opponent to take one to the house
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

NaturalStateReb

I think, on a play-to-play basis, this defense is clearly improved over last year.  Bama was going to dominate, regardless--it's a talent mismatch.  The problem is they still have some personnel issues, so even though the defense is better, it's still prone to giving up the occasional big play.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Danny J

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 16, 2017, 08:21:54 am
And it worked!!!! 

Also, I'm not sure the defense is completely resposnsible for all these points.  Averaging 35 yard punts doesn't help either
Forced 3 straight punts and two 3 and outs along with a few sacks and their 1st interception.  They seemed to struggle at times when we were more aggressive. We need to stay aggressive and quit dropping back into coverage as much as we have been.

b_stackhouse

The biggest problem I have with the 3-4 is it takes our best defensive player (Agim) and puts him in a position where he can't be most effective. Asking him to be a 2 gap guy in the run game is tough. I feel like his strength is rushing the passer. Your outside linebackers are your edge rushers in a 3-4, so Agim is stuck inside rushing the passer.

I did like seeing the blitz used more against Bama. We seemed to get home with the pass rush more often. I can't stand to watch a defense drop 8 in coverage time and time again and give the QB all day to sit back and throw the ball. If you are gonna go down, at least go down being aggressive.

onebadrubi

Quote from: b_stackhouse on October 16, 2017, 11:15:31 am
The biggest problem I have with the 3-4 is it takes our best defensive player (Agim) and puts him in a position where he can't be most effective. Asking him to be a 2 gap guy in the run game is tough. I feel like his strength is rushing the passer. Your outside linebackers are your edge rushers in a 3-4, so Agim is stuck inside rushing the passer.

I did like seeing the blitz used more against Bama. We seemed to get home with the pass rush more often. I can't stand to watch a defense drop 8 in coverage time and time again and give the QB all day to sit back and throw the ball. If you are gonna go down, at least go down being aggressive.

Amen.

longpig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 15, 2017, 09:56:21 pm
It was always going to take at least a half a season to get in rythym defensively.  Right now, teams know that our players don't always know their assignments and are still having to think rather than just react.  That's where most of the busts are coming from.  We'll see what happens the rest of the way.

That's what I'm seeing, not slow they're slow to react and often misread.
Don't be scared, be smart.