Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema:We didn't have the horses

Started by HoggyCat, October 15, 2017, 09:04:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackdog Hog

I seem to recall Frank Broyles saying that very thing after the 1980 Sugar Bowl.

LZH

Quote from: King Kong on October 15, 2017, 11:27:34 am
I guess I missed where Bama has stopped winning since then. Oh wait they have been even better since then

Just reminding you that we should have won that game. Yeah, Petrino gets the blame but we were competitive.

cj_sez

Even a great team of horses need a great coachman. If Bielema was a horse trainer, he couldn't win with Secretariat.

wachhog

Quote from: #1Fan on October 15, 2017, 11:13:55 am
Saying we don't have the horses is his way of saying the players aren't good enough and there's nothing the coaches can do about it.  Kind of like last week when he said "a coach is only going to be allowed to coach at a level of what his personnel is."  When is doubt, throw the players under the bus to save the coach's rep.
Do you seriously think there's another AD anywhere who would buy what he's selling? It's plain to see that Barry Alvarez IS and WAS Wisconsin. Even Houston Nutt could succeed there with Alverez calling the shots. Smiley might be able to.

Dionysos25

We don't have the horses, Bret is a fired coach walking... but.. To be fair... this is quite possibly the best Saban team I've ever seen. They looked unreal.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

rupert

Famous line from Frank Broyles first season on his coach's show with Bud Campbell

"Bud, we just don't have the horses"----after which Frank promptly turned his season around

Inhogswetrust

October 15, 2017, 12:36:34 pm #56 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:48:46 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Blackdog Hog on October 15, 2017, 11:29:16 am
I seem to recall Frank Broyles saying that very thing after the 1980 Sugar Bowl.

He was correct. I was at that game. He didn't have a losing record when he went to play that Sugar Bowl....................................therefore he still had some credibility. CBB is losing his if it isn't already lost.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Letsroll1200

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 15, 2017, 11:20:46 am
We as a team are Slow .Slow motion slow . On the first play , Their Rb ran away from our Db's and we had the angles on him. Whaley is slow starting . the Bama line was getting to him before he got started good . he needs to lose a bit of weight like the bama back did for more speed . We look like we are running in mud .

I said the same thing about Whaley after seeing him play in the LR game last season. I got banned for about month.

Redhogs

Quote from: King Kong on October 15, 2017, 11:27:34 am
I guess I missed where Bama has stopped winning since then. Oh wait they have been even better since then
Oh wait..and we've been worse...allot worse.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawgdavis

Quote from: ThisGuy on October 15, 2017, 10:13:51 am
I don't care what he says there are some talented players on  this football team he just doesn't put them in a good position to succeed

Or even on the field in several cases

rhames

While Saban is at bama I don't expect us to have the horses to beat them, maybe compete, but not beat them

We have had the horses in a whole lot of other loses by Bret. That's the problem.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

WaltonCollege

LT-Ragnow
LG-Froholdt
C-Rogers
RG- Gibson
RT- Wallace

Run 90% of the time, need to save Kelly for next year and not get him hurt.  A couple slants to Nance, a couple flys for Jones, find a way to get Gragg in one on one situations.  All that goes right maybe we can beat Coastal Carolina haha. But no give Kurt Anderson his walking papers, don't get QB hurt, finish the year and Jessica Dorrel can go clean out Brets office for him.  Horses smh

twistitup

But Coach....you chased after ALL of those "uncommon" horses, didn't you?

What the hell happened?

There IS a reason they weren't being recruited by other SEC schools....no, that's not a diamond in the rough, it's just a regular ol rock Brett
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

buldozer

Let's face it. CBB is a total and complete failure in the SEC. After 5 years he is not even .500 in SEC games and if he had another 20 years here he would still not be .500. He is a joke and the kids don't respect him

TheRazorback500

Well, I think they just need to put the old paint out to pasture and get someone in here to bring the program up to modern college football standards. The plodding hog farm philosophy doesn't work any more.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on October 15, 2017, 01:51:28 pm
Well, I think they just need to put the old paint out to pasture and get someone in here to bring the program up to modern college football standards. The plodding hog farm philosophy doesn't work any more.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "the plodding hog farm philosophy". However, if you're referring to what some claim to be "outdated" schemes in offensive football-primarily run first-then I offer two very easy examples of how such approaches are successful. Those schools being (ironically) Wisconsin and Stanford. One might also venture to add at least a third-Georgia-that has two tremendous backs. However, whatever the system you put on the field you still have to have the OL and other talent to be successful. And of course this isn't even addressing other areas such as defense and special teams. So in the end sometimes it's not so much a matter of the scheme or philosophy; sometimes it just comes down to having the talent and as coaches getting the most out of it.

atekido

Petrino couldn't get it done vs bama either

rtr

Quote from: atekido on October 15, 2017, 02:16:52 pm
But he did against the Aggies, that should be priority #1 next season.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rhames

Quote from: atekido on October 15, 2017, 02:16:52 pm

Shouldn't be the measure of success at arkansas IMO.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

aloha_kid

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 15, 2017, 09:04:01 am
No excuse. You've had FIVE recruiting cycles.  This is 100% YOUR team. 

People bash Petrino's recruiting, but the further away from his tenure & signees, the worse we look.

Lets get Bobby Petrino back and finish in the middle of the pack all over again.  Yeah Middle of the pack!

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 15, 2017, 12:48:57 pm
I said the same thing about Whaley after seeing him play in the LR game last season. I got banned for about month.

Whaley looked faster last year as a Freshman. At least until Body by Herb got involved.

rhames

Quote from: aloha_kid on October 15, 2017, 02:26:52 pm
Lets get Bobby Petrino back and finish in the middle of the pack all over again.  Yeah Middle of the pack!

I'm not a bring Petrino back guy but we finished 2nd in the SEC in 2010 and 3rd in 2011

Hardly middle of the pack.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 15, 2017, 02:13:23 pm
Not sure exactly what you mean by "the plodding hog farm philosophy". However, if you're referring to what some claim to be "outdated" schemes in offensive football-primarily run first-then I offer two very easy examples of how such approaches are successful. Those schools being (ironically) Wisconsin and Stanford. One might also venture to add at least a third-Georgia-that has two tremendous backs. However, whatever the system you put on the field you still have to have the OL and other talent to be successful. And of course this isn't even addressing other areas such as defense and special teams. So in the end sometimes it's not so much a matter of the scheme or philosophy; sometimes it just comes down to having the talent and as coaches getting the most out of it.
I was jokingly referring to Bielema's upbringing on the farm. I need to think more before I post. Your points are valid; I realize that any system can be made to work if the talent is there, the coaching is up to standard, and you just have a little football luck!

Do you wanna get Rocked?

hogcard1964

Quote from: aloha_kid on October 15, 2017, 02:26:52 pm

I don't want Petrino back, but your post is very inaccurate.

jchill

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 15, 2017, 11:12:16 am
Interestingly enough, three years ago he had the horses to compete with Bama. Lost by an extra point.

This guy has just checked out. He's done and he knows he's done. Wouldn't surprise me if he breaks a huddle with "1, 2, 3, CANCUN!"

I agree. I think he has gotten too comfortable and lost his fire. He probably thinks he doing the right things, but he doesn't have the hunger anymore. At least when it comes to coaching at a high level.

jchill

Quote from: rhames on October 15, 2017, 02:30:03 pm

I'm not a bring Petrino back guy but we finished 2nd in the SEC in 2010 and 3rd in 2011

Hardly middle of the pack.

Would he come back?

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: King Kong on October 15, 2017, 11:04:22 am
Against Bama in year 5 I'm ok with this. They are on the greatest run in College Football history 

Against A&M, SC and TCU I'm not
I'm never "okay" with losing to anyone by 32 points to anyone in college football...no one.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 15, 2017, 02:41:59 pm
I don't want Petrino back, but your post is very inaccurate.
I'd give your left nut to get Bobby Petrino back. The reason ? You said it yourself about not finishing in the middle of the pack in the SEC....hell we are absolutely, positively the worst team in the SEC right now and will be as long as the boozers and slobs coach our football team.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: LZH on October 15, 2017, 11:24:19 am

I believe we lost that game...bama also lost 3 games that year

texas tush hog

Quote from: Blackdog Hog on October 15, 2017, 11:29:16 am

Frank Broyles was not our coach in 1980, Lou Holtz was. Let's get it straight.

GoldCoastHog

Thanks for throwing the players YOU recruited under the bus coach; real classy. It wasn't too long ago you said you didn't come to Arkansas to play Alabama, you came to Arkansas to beat Alabama. So, why would you say that, along with numerous other arrogant comments, if you knew you didn't have the horses?

twistitup

By horses he means coaches, right? Yeah coach, they left you and are now kicking arse in Georgia
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

rzrbackramsfan

Call a masterful game with players executing the scheme and then I'll care when you say we don't have the horses. 

moses_007

I predicted before this season started that we would be a lousy team.  I told you all that green new receivers and green running backs isn't a recipe for success.  AA can't do it all by himself, and he's been beaten to a pulp trying to do so..........

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 15, 2017, 10:50:05 am
Our average recruiting class ranking is 25. Bama's is 1.
Bamas national ranking reflects their recruiting, ours doesnt
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on October 15, 2017, 02:27:44 pm
Whaley looked faster last year as a Freshman. At least until Body by Herb got involved.

Whaley is a slower Cedric Cobb. Same kind of running style but not as fast.

COACHINTEXAS

It's really very simple!! 3 stars are not going to beat 5 stars! It's just a fact. Upsets occur, but it will not sustain over a season.
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

Hawgzinbowlz

People bash Petrino's recruiting, but the further away from his tenure & signees, the worse we look.

100% his program...Fire CBB.

" GO HOGS "

Letsroll1200

Johnny Gibson has now played three positions on the offensive line. What did this coaching staff do in the off-season?

RazorbacksFTW

The offensive line is probably the single biggest reason he has had almost no success here.

He came in claiming his line coaching was his biggest strength and our line would be our biggest asset.

His offensive and defensive line is much much worse then Nut or Petrino's and Petrino's offensive line was shall we say not the greatest.

His offensive line has ruined 2 good quarterbacks I hope they don't ruin a 3rd.
If Brett has been playing a big role in training the offensive and defensive lines like I suspect he has then he needs to tell them to forget all the techniques he taught them and let the line coach retrain them.

I guess it really doesn't matter at this point anyway but maybe he could see if the line gets better and if it does he will know for the future to let the line coach do his job and don't interfere.

Quickdraw

He don't have the horses because he isn't a very good coach who understands what type of horses he is supposed to be recruiting to compete in this conference. And his philosophy will not produce the results it takes to be successful in this conference.

Nothing against the kids he recruited most are very talented individuals some fit this conference and some don't. But that is not on the kid, it's on the COACH!!!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 15, 2017, 07:40:23 pm
Johnny Gibson has now played three positions on the offensive line. What did this coaching staff do in the off-season?

CBB continued cashing his checks for approximately $11,000.00 per day...Including weekends and holidays, 7 days a week and 52 weeks annually.

We're not getting our money's worth.

Fire CBB...

" GO HOGS "

DeltaBoy

Quote from: MushroomCloudHog on October 15, 2017, 11:01:45 am
a more accurate comment would be "Me and My assistants got out recruited and coached the last 5 seasons by just about every staff in our conference, Alabama being at the top of that list."

Amen
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BartIV

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 15, 2017, 10:05:59 am
You guys still don't get it. it's not just the sec that's kicking our butts.we since coach B has been here,we have lost games to school like Rutgers,Texas Tech,TCU and Toledo.these are not sec teams.the program is not this bad because it's in the sec.so just stop it. the sec is not that good this year.Troy beat LSU.
This

Blackdog Hog

Frank Broyles was not our coach in 1980, Lou Holtz was. Let's get it straight.
[/quote]

He was speaking as Athletic Director. 

From Tusk Till Dawn

I listened to the presser, and he could have just as easily said, "we fell short tonight" or "we didnt play to our ability" or any number of terms to suggest it wasnt our night.  Any phrase he used will be used against him (win or lose).  Nothing to see here.

jimhog

Hogs don't have the horses for sure. They were getting shoved around like jr high against varsity. Inferior size and speed.

Redhogs

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 16, 2017, 08:41:52 am
I listened to the presser, and he could have just as easily said, "we fell short tonight" or "we didnt play to our ability" or any number of terms to suggest it wasnt our night.  Any phrase he used will be used against him (win or lose).  Nothing to see here.
Because he is incompetent " I came here to win the SEC"   incompetent... Here's what he should say if he wants people to take him seriously " I have failed here at Arkansas, Iv'e taken millions of dollars from you, and we are now the worst team in the SEC. I don't know what the hell I am doing running this program."
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawgtime

I agree.  CBB's recruiting should have built strength already.  it should be paying off, but we appear to be increasing the gap.  we need speed, size and talent!

hawgtime

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 15, 2017, 11:20:46 am
We as a team are Slow .Slow motion slow . On the first play , Their Rb ran away from our Db's and we had the angles on him. Whaley is slow starting . the Bama line was getting to him before he got started good . he needs to lose a bit of weight like the bama back did for more speed . We look like we are running in mud .

true!  our lack of speed has been very apparent all year.  JEESH!