Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Say it ain't so Mr. Long (Nebraska Rumors)

Started by harrisburghog, October 13, 2017, 03:03:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razor1997

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 13, 2017, 05:49:57 pm
This is a fair question that I will try to answer:

1. An AD in the SEC needs football to be his primary concern.  I would think there is are assistants and/or associates that assist him.  These are ones he needs to turn to for strong expertise about the other sports under his authority that he may not have expert knowledge about.  He needs to rely on these assistant for strong advice.  But, football should be HIS major concern.

2.  The AD needs to understand football such that he can see what's going on from the inside out.  I want an AD that knows the game and is good at evaluating the coach and his staff.

3.  The AD must be a strong communicator with the people who have the money but above that, when he talks the people should understand that football is important to him and that he understand it must be as good as it can be.  He needs to make the folks in the seats feel important and he needs to be able to speak to these people who shell out hard earned money to attend games.  The fans need to be able to trust the AD.

I know that the AD runs a huge operation with millions of dollars to account for, raise and invest.  But the AD can rely on a team of legal/financial assistants with the expertise he might lack.

The AD must be a clear and believable communicator.  Long does not strike me a clear communicator.  There is certain smarminess about him that does not seem to endear him to the rank and file fan.

The BP fiasco is one case where I believe he failed to instill trust in his judgement.  I'm not arguing his final decision to cut BP loose, just the way he allowed it to became a spectacle to the nation.

Addendum:

Please note that point #1 does not apply to the University of Kentucky.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on October 13, 2017, 09:58:56 pm
So, Jake , please give us vision?!!
Anyone arnd here knows JL's accomplishments.  You don't have to like the man to understand that he is respected nationally.

Ā 

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 13, 2017, 10:54:26 pm
Anyone arnd here knows JL's accomplishments.  You don't have to like the man to understand that he is respected nationally.

Well, is sounded like you were pretty well versed in them, so why not ask the expert? Please paint the picture.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on October 13, 2017, 10:57:16 pm
Well, is sounded like you were pretty well versed in them, so why not ask the expert? Please paint the picture.
English not your strong point?  Tell me why JL isn't respected nationally?  Not on hogville... why is Jeff Long the laughing stock of college athletics that you want him to be?

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: aloha_kid on October 13, 2017, 03:25:27 pm
So, one of the most respected ADs in college sports is on the Hill, and has been, but hog fans fail to realize it or appreciate it.

No they realize it, but they have the "Reason We Suck" detector so high that it clicked on the 3rd string center's girlfriend because it was her time of the month, and she got 35 blame points.; So, no they are not in the mood to appreciate much yet. Just wait for the shouts of anguish if we happen to win, or better yet, look competitive enough in a losing effort that Long get's blamed for the incredulous loss to Alabama..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Drop the Mike

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on October 13, 2017, 10:28:56 pm
For some strange reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that hiring a replacement AD , be it internally or externally, is not going to be a massive hurdle for the UA.

Candidates will make themselves known fairly quickly.
Also, regarding a coaching search; I also suspect Long being gone may actually open some doors in the coaching fraternity, that may have been " turned off" by his leadership. I know this; when your AD essentially states that winning isn't everything; there's  a lot of highly competitive, motivated coaches that hear that , and are turned off. If I'm a coach that has high standards and expectations, I want to coach at a school where a premium is placed on winning. I want the fans to have high expectations! Why would you want to show up somewhere , and everyone's content with losing and just "breaking even "?

Ummmm.... because you can still have a job 5 years after you were hired and have a 10-25 conference record

Ironhawg

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on October 13, 2017, 10:22:58 pm
Bret is the AD and hires Chip Kelly, Gruden or Petrino!!!

Tell the bartender you are cut off for the night.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Three and Snout on October 13, 2017, 10:22:40 pm
I heard today that Long will likely be the first to go and the Nebraska interest is real.  Apparently, the new chancellor isn't a fan, and neither are some on the BOT.  A new AD could do the "firing" of Bret, or the chancellor could do it.

There are a couple of BOT members that don't like how the athletic finances are handled, specifically how funds are kept separate from the rest of the university (not foundation money).  I imagine one of these is Pryor.  Once the AD and coach replacement dust settles, there may be more drama and/or infighting regarding the future of the athletic department as a whole.

I'm not sure if this infighting about athletic money is a good thing for Razorback sports.

Tusks

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 13, 2017, 10:59:03 pm
English not your strong point?  Tell me why JL isn't respected nationally?  Not on hogville... why is Jeff Long the laughing stock of college athletics that you want him to be?

Well the bar is pretty low.  When I hear todays AD's and read their backgrounds, they're academics playing General Managers and in a LOT of cases, they suck at it.  They have that NCAA political mentality.

I'd like to see a GM type out of one of the professional leagues be AD.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hogs-n-Roses

I heard today that Long will likely be the first to go and the Nebraska interest is real.  Apparently, the new chancellor isn't a fan, and neither are some on the BOT.  A new AD could do the "firing" of Bret, or the chancellor could do it.

There are a couple of BOT members that don't like how the athletic finances are handled, specifically how funds are kept separate from the rest of the university (not foundation money).  I imagine one of these is Pryor.  Once the AD and coach replacement dust settles, there may be more drama and/or infighting regarding the future of the athletic department as a whole.
If you go onto or read several different Nebraska boards , they make it sound like he put his own hat in the ring.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 13, 2017, 11:28:28 pm
If you go onto or read several different Nebraska boards , they make it sound like he put his own hat in the ring.
This is sounding better all the time.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Tusks

I don't know much about the new chancellor.  I mean I can read the internet but that doesn't tell me how much he's interested in a winning football program.  He's from Ohio I think, does he think football is a PITA or does he want his AD to be savvy and want to grade his AD on the success of the program?

Ā 

Hogs-n-Roses

Tusks

Go baby go !!!!

Tusks

Good info to the NE fans by dmacforheisman on that board.

dfh, sell them on taking JL man. 

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 13, 2017, 11:01:58 pm
Made himself famous for firing Bobby Petrino and made a spectacle of it. Cool. Football program has been AWESOME ever since then.

Of course, his handling of Petrino is the only reason he is respected and I am sure that is why he was chosen to oversee the Playoff Commission.
Īæ Ī»ĪæĪ³ĪæĻ‚ Ļ…Ī¼Ļ‰Ī½ Ļ€Ī±Ī½Ļ„ĪæĻ„Īµ ĪµĪ½ Ļ‡Ī±ĻĪ¹Ļ„Ī¹ Ī±Ī»Ī±Ļ„Ī¹ Ī·ĻĻ„Ļ…Ī¼ĪµĪ½ĪæĻ‚ ĪµĪ¹Ī“ĪµĪ½Ī±Ī¹ Ļ€Ļ‰Ļ‚ Ī“ĪµĪ¹ Ļ…Ī¼Ī±Ļ‚ ĪµĪ½Ī¹ ĪµĪŗĪ±ĻƒĻ„Ļ‰ Ī±Ļ€ĪæĪŗĻĪ¹Ī½ĪµĻƒĪøĪ±Ī¹

LZH

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 13, 2017, 03:39:41 pm
Not saying Tim Horton is a viable candidate, but I can assure you that there are people out there who want to re-establish an Arkansas presence in our athletic department.

I'm going to skip ahead a few pages and wonder if Sean Rochelle would be a candidate.

jkstock04

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on October 14, 2017, 12:40:38 am
Of course, his handling of Petrino is the only reason he is respected and I am sure that is why he was chosen to oversee the Playoff Commission.
Did you read your own link?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 14, 2017, 12:43:47 am
Did you read your own link?

That was one example or quote from ONE person. I am sure SI based the entirety of their list on the opinion of one person about each AD.

It doesn't matter.

Personally, I could care less, but it's the barrage of asinine arguments against Long or BB that drive me crazy. I can't wait until Horton is hired and he brings in Gus and all of you guy's are in a freak out about breaking up the good ole boy network again. Carry on with the cretinous rumination... 
Īæ Ī»ĪæĪ³ĪæĻ‚ Ļ…Ī¼Ļ‰Ī½ Ļ€Ī±Ī½Ļ„ĪæĻ„Īµ ĪµĪ½ Ļ‡Ī±ĻĪ¹Ļ„Ī¹ Ī±Ī»Ī±Ļ„Ī¹ Ī·ĻĻ„Ļ…Ī¼ĪµĪ½ĪæĻ‚ ĪµĪ¹Ī“ĪµĪ½Ī±Ī¹ Ļ€Ļ‰Ļ‚ Ī“ĪµĪ¹ Ļ…Ī¼Ī±Ļ‚ ĪµĪ½Ī¹ ĪµĪŗĪ±ĻƒĻ„Ļ‰ Ī±Ļ€ĪæĪŗĻĪ¹Ī½ĪµĻƒĪøĪ±Ī¹

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: LZH on October 14, 2017, 12:40:56 am
I'm going to skip ahead a few pages and wonder if Sean Rochelle would be a candidate.

Tim Horton...and I am just queasy about that.

PRJ

ZERO

Tim Horton can just stick to Canadian coffee and donuts and stay the hell away from the UofA.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on October 14, 2017, 12:58:19 am
That was one example or quote from ONE person. I am sure SI based the entirety of their list on the opinion of one person about each AD.

It doesn't matter.

Personally, I could care less, but it's the barrage of asinine arguments against Long or BB that drive me crazy. I can't wait until Horton is hired and he brings in Gus and all of you guy's are in a freak out about breaking up the good ole boy network again. Carry on with the cretinous rumination... 
Petrino lovers want Long fired because he fired their hero. I really think they either believe if JL is gone Petrino could come back or they're just petty and want revenge. Either way it's just sad. JL doesn't meddle in his programs but if he leaves we'll end up with someone who does.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Ā 

jgphillips3

Long is not the worst possible AD.  He has good qualities.  However, I want CBB gone first and foremost.  If telling Long to take a hike stops that, keep Long but only extend him one year.  If we can be rid of CBB even if Long goes, send them both packing.  Any semi-competent AD can do as well with facilities and such.  Also, we aren't looking to poach a top ten coach.  Guys like Brohm should be our targets.  The guys who are still climbing will be far less concerned about who their AD is than the amount of support the university pledges to give them every opportunity to succeed.

hogcard1964

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 13, 2017, 10:54:26 pm

What are his accomplishments in the football program?

Ironhawg

If Long bolts to another school before the end of the year I would bet a lot of money we will be stuck with Bielema for another year.  If keeping Long means Bielema is gone at the end of this season, I'll take that.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 14, 2017, 01:21:54 am
Tim Horton...and I am just queasy about that.

PRJ

Exactly. Why anyone thinks Tim Horton would make a good AD is beyond me. A good recruiting coordinator or asst. coach, sure. But AD?... that's laughable.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pork Twain

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 13, 2017, 03:45:19 pm
A lot of folks here should pay attention to this but alas, won't. Blinded by an agenda.
I see a lot of people wanting a new AD, without knowing who they want and the worst thing they say he did was give CBB a huge buyout that does not really seem to be so big.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

buldozer

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 13, 2017, 03:39:41 pm
I can assure you that there are people out there who want to re-establish an Arkansas presence in our athletic department.
^^^This!^^^ The northern duo has proven how much more effective coaches and ADs with Arkansas ties are. Its time to get back to Arkansas football.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 14, 2017, 02:53:03 am
What are his accomplishments in the football program?
Have you seen our stadium. How about what the completed project will look like. JL has done a lot. He just doesn't have a football program winning hand over fist or "at all costs". Saying otherwise makes you the fool.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡ā‚¬% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Ironhawg

Quote from: buldozer on October 14, 2017, 06:06:09 am
^^^This!^^^ The northern duo has proven how much more effective coaches and ADs with Arkansas ties are. Its time to get back to Arkansas football.

Would you say this if it means the return of Houston Dale as head coach?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: PORKULATOR on October 14, 2017, 06:12:57 am
Have you seen our stadium. How about what the completed project will look like. JL has done a lot. He just doesn't have a football program winning hand over fist or "at all costs". Saying otherwise makes you the fool.
He does have a BCS bowl game and a 12 win season...  he also has more academic All-SEC than any other Razorback team. They want to take that away from him arnd here, but can't. Que Iwasthere and guv to come tell us why he gets no credit for that.

jkstock04

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 14, 2017, 06:25:05 am
Would you say this if it means the return of Houston Dale as head coach?
If given the choice I would take Houston Nutt over Bielema...yes I said it. At the time I couldn't stand the Nutt years, but I now realize the past 5 years plus this year are what Chuck Barrett was talking about setting the program back.

It's literally been torpedoed into oblivion. Death sentence....whatever you want to call it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HardCore

Being a BIG 10 AD puts him one step closer to Jim Delany's job when he retires.  If he is so respected, that should be a walk-in for Ole Jeffy.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

RexMentor

If Long is looking around, it's not because of CBB's situation or the fact he's not from Arkansas and that rubs some the wrong way. If Long is shopping, it's because those new north end zone seats and packages aren't selling. People are being approach three and four times about buying a package in the NEZ and they're saying no. Also, those seats are being offered WITHOUT the need to donate to the Razorback Foundation That's never been done before. Remember, UA on the hook having pledged revenue and not donations to fund this project. That's why Long could be looking around.

Steef

Quote from: RexMentor on October 14, 2017, 07:21:29 am
If Long is looking around, it's not because of CBB's situation or the fact he's not from Arkansas and that rubs some the wrong way. If Long is shopping, it's because those new north end zone seats and packages aren't selling. People are being approach three and four times about buying a package in the NEZ and they're saying no. Also, those seats are being offered WITHOUT the need to donate to the Razorback Foundation That's never been done before. Remember, UA on the hook having pledged revenue and not donations to fund this project. That's why Long could be looking around.

Again, I have no inside info.

But this really sounds like hammer meets nail.

In fairness, if we were winning right now, those seats would be selling better.

ricepig

Could be true, but I read three different Arkansas ones, and the truth and message boards have a pretty low accuracy level.

RexMentor

Very true -- if we were winning those seat would be selling. BTW, Long is well respected by some of the big money supporters. Those who want him gone are the minority. Long didn't make a spectacle of the Petrino situation. Bobby did that all by himself. Long will be a finalist for whatever job he wants and if Arkansas wants to keep him, they'll have to offer some assurances and more cash. I call it 50-50 that he leaves or stays.

hawgon

And all that goes to hiring and firing the right people.  Had he not fired Petrino or hired a winner, those seats would be selling.

Every team in the SEC has money.  But the winners will have more.  Despite claims to the contrary on this board, hiring winners is still the most important part of an AD's job.

RexMentor

Based on CBB's resume at the time, it was a very good hire. The fact it didn't work out isn't on Long. The only thing worse than making a mistake is failing to correct it.

ricepig

If you've looked at the price of the suites, boxes, and seats, you'd see that they are priced about double of existing suites and club seats. Are you saying Scott Varady lied in his interview that all 38 suites had sold, and over 75% of the loge  boxes were pledged? The original plans were for donations to cover $40m of the  $160m cost. They got their $40m, but it came from Founder Suites donations, RF money, and I believe $10m from the athletic department. Also, they only issued bonds for $114.8m, so not the full $120m.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: RexMentor on October 14, 2017, 07:43:10 am
Based on CBB's resume at the time, it was a very good hire. The fact it didn't work out isn't on Long. The only thing worse than making a mistake is failing to correct it.
When you hire a square peg to fit a round hole, it IS on you.....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hawgon

Based on CBB's resume at the time, it was a very good hire. The fact it didn't work out isn't on Long. The only thing worse than a mistakes is failing to correct it.

No it wasn't and I and others set forth the reasons at the time and we have all been proven right.  I also panned the JLS hire and gave the exact reasons why it would be a huge failure WHEN IT WAS MADE.

I'm not saying this to toot my own horn.  I'm saying it to tell you that despite popular misconception, Long ain't that smart.

RexMentor

Rice, with all due respect, I'm being told the seats aren't selling. That comes from several who have been approached repeatedly. I have no reason to question that. And, if I'm wrong, consider this an apology.

PorkRinds

Hard to argue with this, but plenty of people will. The CBB hire made sense. Unfortunately it has failed.

hawgon

Quote from: RexMentor on October 14, 2017, 07:46:14 am
Rice, with all due respect, I'm being told the seats aren't selling. That comes from several who have been approached repeatedly. I have no reason to question that. And, if I'm wrong, consider this an apology.

That's hearsay. 

Steef

I i ALMOST said this in my first reply to you.

RexMentor

In light of fact presented, let me amend my original post to state that revenue in the form sales is funding the bulk of the NEZ expansion.

ricepig

Quote from: RexMentor on October 14, 2017, 07:46:14 am

All I can go by on is the quotes by Scott Varady in the article by Matt Jones in WholeHogSports, and I assume it ran in the ADG, that wouldn't be hearsay, that's readsay.....