Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buffalo River Question

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, June 06, 2017, 12:06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

When I was young I used to go on float trips all the time.  I've probably floated parts of the Buffalo ten or more times, the last being about sixteen years ago.  But I've never really studied the river as a whole to determine all of its characteristics, such as most scenic section, easiest, hardest, etc. 

I've gotten my wife and two adult step-daughters interested in floating the Buffalo one day this summer, probably a Saturday and probably for about a half-day.  My question is, they will all be novices and I think what they would enjoy the most would be a relaxing, leisurely float on a scenic part of the river that would last maybe 4-5 hours.  I'd like some suggestions from folks who are much more familiar with the entire river than I am for good starting and ending points, and maybe an outfitter in that area.

Thanks in advance.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HawgWild

Mike Mills owner and founder of Buffalo Outdoor Center is a life long resident of Ponca. I'd go to him or his staff with your question. The upper Buffalo drains so quickly that you can go from white water to no water in a couple of days. http://www.buffaloriver.com/

DLUXHOG

consider Ponca to Pruitt...........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

TX HOG

BillyHog53

If you go Ponca to Pruitt with novice canoeists someone will get hurt or worse, besides that is about a 15-16 mile float , BOC is in the business for money only, they will put rookies on the river in bad conditions, take their money and say see you later, maybe. I would suggest somewhere further down river in the Tyler bend or Gilbert area, good luck and be careful

ricepig

Quote from: BillyHog53 on June 07, 2017, 02:24:39 pm
If you go Ponca to Pruitt with novice canoeists someone will get hurt or worse, besides that is about a 15-16 mile float , BOC is in the business for money only, they will put rookies on the river in bad conditions, take their money and say see you later, maybe. I would suggest somewhere further down river in the Tyler bend or Gilbert area, good luck and be careful

I don't know about the outfitter, but Ponca to Pruitt isn't for complete novices, there's pretty decent rapids in spots. You may want to start them out on Spring River, pretty easy float from Mammoth Springs to Many Islands.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 06, 2017, 12:06:38 pm
When I was young I used to go on float trips all the time.  I've probably floated parts of the Buffalo ten or more times, the last being about sixteen years ago.  But I've never really studied the river as a whole to determine all of its characteristics, such as most scenic section, easiest, hardest, etc. 

I've gotten my wife and two adult step-daughters interested in floating the Buffalo one day this summer, probably a Saturday and probably for about a half-day.  My question is, they will all be novices and I think what they would enjoy the most would be a relaxing, leisurely float on a scenic part of the river that would last maybe 4-5 hours.  I'd like some suggestions from folks who are much more familiar with the entire river than I am for good starting and ending points, and maybe an outfitter in that area.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe a raft instead of canoes? Not sure how many people you need for a raft if it's 4 or 6 but I think that might be a better option.

BOC basically refused to put my wife and I in a canoe a couple of years ago, because of our lack of skill and the high water, several people were going in rafts that day, some kayaks, and a canoe or two, but I wasn't going to lie about my ability just to get on the river. I respected them for it, even though I really wanted float it.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 06, 2017, 12:06:38 pm

Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend you start at the CAFO containment pond on Big Creek.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

porque

For novices, I would go to the lower Buffalo, south of Yellville is good.  There is Wild Bill Outfitters and others.  That's where I started my kids.  Stay away from Ponca for beginners. For one, it gets low once June arrives and, two, if the water is flowing, there are some tricky spots.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 07, 2017, 04:35:26 pm
I'd recommend you start at the CAFO containment pond on Big Creek.

I'd prefer not to canoe where you bathe, old timer.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hog.goblin

Solid advice on where to put in and safety.  Plus you'll have the benefit of not having to carry your canoe by putting in further downstream (though this has been one of the better years for floating upstream this late into the year).

Inhogswetrust

ALL outfitters are in it for the money. But I know Mike and they do a good job. He hasn't become as successful and he has and as big an operation as it is without having concern for his customers. You sound as if you are a disgruntled ex employee or competitor. Yes Ponca to Pruitt can be difficult for a novice if not scary sometimes and novices should most of the time stay off that section. Especially when it is rolling like it had been a lot of this spring just ended. I'ver been on the Pruitt to point's below though with novice paddlers and had no problem.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: porque on June 08, 2017, 02:41:10 pm
For novices, I would go to the lower Buffalo, south of Yellville is good.  There is Wild Bill Outfitters and others.  That's where I started my kids.  Stay away from Ponca for beginners. For one, it gets low once June arrives and, two, if the water is flowing, there are some tricky spots.
this.

BillyHog53

I am not an ex employee or a competitor, disgruntled about some things maybe, but not this. I just posted what I have seen out of BOC for many years. Lost valley canoe rental in Ponca is the best place for upper floating and the newer place at Mt. Sherman is good too. I just got off the 26 mile stretch from Carver to Baker Ford, camped 4 nights, wonderful float but it is going to be too low there too if they do not get some rainfall soon.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BillyHog53 on June 19, 2017, 03:51:29 pm
I am not an ex employee or a competitor, disgruntled about some things maybe, but not this. I just posted what I have seen out of BOC for many years. Lost valley canoe rental in Ponca is the best place for upper floating and the newer place at Mt. Sherman is good too. I just got off the 26 mile stretch from Carver to Baker Ford, camped 4 nights, wonderful float but it is going to be too low there too if they do not get some rainfall soon.

There are quite a few good outfitters on the Buffalo.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

woodrow hog call

Quote from: porque on June 08, 2017, 02:41:10 pm

We did the float from the HWY 14 bridge to Rush, about a week ago, used Buffalo River Floats, and had good time. Caught several small mouth and there weren't many people on the river, pretty nice day. It's getting low though, if they don't get some decent rains it will be a lot still water before long.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"