Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State of our Schedule

Started by bennyl08, September 30, 2017, 08:48:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

SC: This was a team that last year had the equivalent of Florida's offense in 2016 plus arkansas' defense in 2015. Of course, there is often improvement from one season to the next, particularly when you bring back most of your key players. Which brings us to 2017. SC beat NC state to open the season which was a solid win. NC state has gone on to beat a now unranked FSU and struggled against Marshall. SC has not beat anybody else of note yet and at of 6pm PST, is about on par with arkansas against aTm. This is far from a game we should lose. However, given our struggles so far this season on offense, this is a game that should be neck and neck.

Bama: We will very likely lose this game. Which has been the prediction since last season, last season pre-spring and post spring, and hasn't changed since the season started. However, this is not one of Bama's best teams. There are weaknesses, but given our lack of pass rush and struggles with the WR's, their weaknesses aren't things we seem poised to exploit.

Auburn: Auburn's offense is not very good this year. They need the run game to succeed and we've been better against the run. 11 of their 14 touchdowns have come on the ground. Their qb struggles to push the ball down the field as well. So, we should load the box. I mean, they scored 1 possesion more than Missouri State did against Mizzou. They only managed 24 points vs FCS team Mercer and none through the air with less than 4 ypc for their most productive back that game. Clemson only allowed 2 fg's from them. Even against a second FCS team in Georgia Southern, they were very dependent on the run. This is a team that should be favored against us IMO, but should not be a particularly surprising upset, particularly with the game at home. Against OM and LSU next, they might not lose another game and come in at 6-1, but if we can limit their run game at all, this is absolutely a game we should should stand a reasonable chance to win.

OM: Struggled on defense vs S. Alabama and UT Martin allowing 20+ points both games. Then, lost pretty convincingly to Cal. OM, in contrast to Auburn, can't run the ball to save their lives and is entirely dependent on the passing game. We've shown an ability to limit the passing game on defense as well unless the qb has all day to throw. OM is in a relative dumpster fire with their coaching situation right now and doesn't look to improve. We should be able to win this game. It won't be a blow out and not a game that we should absolutely win, but if we continue to improve on offense and don't regress on defense, we should win this.

Coastal Carolina: Beat Umass by 10, lost to UAB by 7 and W. Illinois by 42 and is keeping pace with but losing to ULM by 8. This isn't a terrible, terrible team like Tx St, but is a much worse team than NM St. Victory margin should be even better than this week, but perhaps not as good at the Tx St game depending on how our passing game improves.

LSU: Ignoring their FCS victory vs Chattanooga,  LSU has two victories, BYU and Syracuse and are currently losing 17-0 to Troy at the bottom of the third quarter. BYU has only beaten Portland State and struggled in that game. Syracuse has only beaten central connecticut and central michigan while losing to midd tenn state. LSU hasn't particularly struggled or excelled at any area this year and have been quite inconsistent. This is a game that based on talent, we should lose, but based on history as well as this season results, we absolutely can win.

MSU: Convincing wins over FCS and Central USA conference opponents combined with a blowout victory over LSU propelled MSU into the spotlight. However, blowout losses to UGA and now Auburn in process have shattered that illusion. Shows that LSU was overrated more than MSU is better than though. Fitzgerald makes this offense dangerous, but other than that, this is not a team that should beat us. Could beat us for sure, but not should.

Mizz: Their defense is absolutely atrocious. Allowed 43 points in a hotly contested match vs an FCS team after some embarrassing losses to lowly teams last year. SC scored almost twice as may points against Mizzou as SC scored against LaTech. I projected that Mizz would have one of the best offenses in the SEC this year. They looked very formidable against the FCS and still pretty solid against SC's weak defense, but were absolutely stifled by Purdue and also Auburn. Given our history, I don't expect us to absolutely stifle them, but perhaps they won't be as good as many projected and their defense is absolutely garbage. They would probably sacrifice a virgin to improve to our level of defense from last season.

All in all, there is only 1 game on this schedule that we absolutely should not lose to and only game that would take a miracle to win. Assuming the likely outcomes there, that puts us at 3-3 with games against  Auburn, MSU, LSU, SC, Mizz, and OM to go at least 3-3 against. I would not be shocked at all if we win all 6 and go 9-3 on the season. We have the talent to do that. However, we had the talent to beat TCU and aTm and coaching is what let us down. (Recalling the interviews and Fanonthehill's post on the subject matter, I'm not surprised that we didn't play up to our potential in those games. That coaching during practice and such has been just fine. However, if the players choke during a game on what they do well in practice, I put that on the coaching staff in not getting the players do their best during the game.). So, I'm not expecting us to go 6-0 against the 6 teams mentioned. However, the last 2 games, our team has performed much better than the first two, despite the same 1-1 record. The aggies were a much more talented team than TCU as well, and while we lost, we played well enough to keep our heads held high with that game while the TCU game was simply an embarrassment to the program. I'd be floored if this team doesn't at least go bowling, but they have underachieved so far.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tusks

Is it harvest time in arkansas right now?

Bunches of you guys are smoking the good stuff tonight.

Have any of you actually seen the hogs play this year?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jst01

Do what??

SC: how many points has their D given up to the team that scored 42 on us?

Bama: They May hold us to 7.

Auburn: offense not good?? They have scored like almost 50 against two sec teams.

Miss: they might be on Hogs level. 50/50

Miss st: who knows, very up and down. 50/50

LSU: at their place, after they are pissed they lost this week. Loss

Mizzu: we win.

I'd say we need to win all 50/50 games just to get to 3 conf wins

HognotinMemphis

The OP is one big time homer. SC and Auburn will embarrass Arkansas. I did not read the rest.

Cannot believe the SC game is at 3. I will wager that the Alabama game will be at 11:00.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Tusks

Bama MAY hold the hogs to 7.   I think it's more like Bama MAY pitch a shutout.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

code red

Quote from: tusked on September 30, 2017, 09:06:50 pm
Is it harvest time in arkansas right now?

Bunches of you guys are smoking the good stuff tonight.

Have any of you actually seen the hogs play this year?
Agreed.  6 wins?  With this oline and defense?  Plleeassse.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Al Boarland

Auburn can't push the ball down the field? I watched their QB drop two 50 yard dimes tonight on TV.

Go to bed Benny.

Poker_hog

We'll be favored in 2 more games this year(cc and mizzou).  Bama and auburn are much better teams than us and will be double digit favorites.  That puts us at 4-4.  That means we have to upset 2 out of msu, ole miss, lsu, usce to go bowling.  Possible but not likely.  7-5 is the ceiling and 4-8 is the floor. Pretty disappointing for year 5.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

From Tusk Till Dawn

Just curious, cause from what i read we are terrible.  A&M is up on SC with A min left.  SC has 17 points on A&m and we put up 40+ and arguably should have won.  Either way, IF A&m win this game they will be 4-1 (s/b 5-0).  They will likely be ranked, but do they still suck?  Cause as i understand it, we suck because we have 2 losses to teams who are likely going to be ranked in the top 10 and top 25.  And we have no chance against a team who looks like they are about to lose to a team we took to the wire. 

DeltaBoy

It would be great if we did!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on September 30, 2017, 10:13:12 pm
Just curious, cause from what i read we are terrible.  A&M is up on SC with A min left.  SC has 17 points on A&m and we put up 40+ and arguably should have won.  Either way, IF A&m win this game they will be 4-1 (s/b 5-0).  They will likely be ranked, but do they still suck?  Cause as i understand it, we suck because we have 2 losses to teams who are likely going to be ranked in the top 10 and top 25.  And we have no chance against a team who looks like they are about to lose to a team we took to the wire.
This is how many on here do it. Sit back and take this in:

ULCA beat Texas A&M
Memphis beat UCLA
Texas A&M beat Arkansas, for the 6th year in a row
Central Florida embarrassed Memphis

Central Fla and Memphis are not SEC caliber, thus Arkansas is horrible.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jgphillips3

Unless they finally fix the steaming pile of horse manure that is our offensive line, we'll be very, very lucky to finish 5-7, much less with a winning record.  If they can fix the O-line and get some protection, I believe the D will improve in the last half of the season somewhat.  A scheme change usually takes at least half a season to gel if not longer.  If the O-line doesn't get fixed, well...at least we won't have to worry about Arkansas choking away a bowl game again.

From Tusk Till Dawn

That makes sense, it seems like sound logic. 

hawgdavis

But LSU some of you people are worried about LSU and the one guy even said they would be mad after loosing this week so they will beat us. Wow they just lost to Troy and got beat by MSU badly and look what has happened to MSU since then, MSU is not a good team and LSU is far worse , Ole Miss is a joke Mizzu is Horrible, SC has no Offense decent D .

Now Awbarn is somewhat legit but I bet we play them pretty good

Bama pops us barring some sort of miracle but the others are very beatable.

I get down as much as anybody  when things go badly but after the game after a little time passes I cool off and look around and see there are a bunch of not so good teams on our schedule and if this team gets a little confidence we can win several games and have a decent season.

A lot of football to be played yet.

hhicNaychaBoi

Last week in another thread I stated that we could go 7-5 or 8-4. After watching some more football this week I definately think 8-4 is a real possibility. Alabama and Auburn are the only teams that I see us losing to for sure because their defenses are great. I thought Lsu would be a toss up but I watched them struggle against Syracuse last week and get knocked off by Troy today. They are garbage. This is our most favorable schedule in a few years. Mizzou, lsu, ole miss,  msu, and coastal carolina are all garbage. South carolina isnt very good either. The offense is clicking now so this year should be fun.

clew

Teams that can blow up our O line to get to Allen and shut down our run game will beat us. So Bama and Auburn are almost certain losses. I'd set the over/under on 3 SEC wins (most likely OM, MU, and SC or MSU). Still think LSU is a toss up. We have some emerging talent at receiver and I believe the defense will improve over the course of the season (have to get waaay better on 3rd and long — UA May be the worst 3rd down defense in the country over the last 20 years).
Pure as the dawn

31to6

Quote from: jst01 on September 30, 2017, 09:15:23 pm
Do what??

Miss st: who knows, very up and down. 50/50

Mizzu: we win.
So I think we should beat Mizzou.

But, if we can't pressure Fitzgerald and Lock and play soft coverage while giving them all the time in the world to throw, those two teams might each put up 50 on us.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on September 30, 2017, 10:13:12 pm

get back with us after next week...

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 30, 2017, 10:02:45 pm
We'll be favored in 2 more games this year(cc and mizzou).  Bama and auburn are much better teams than us and will be double digit favorites.  That puts us at 4-4.  That means we have to upset 2 out of msu, ole miss, lsu, usce to go bowling.  Possible but not likely.  7-5 is the ceiling and 4-8 is the floor. Pretty disappointing for year 5.

After watching BAMA tonight, we will be lucky to get out of Tuscaloosa with a 42-3 loss.  Auburn has a balanced attack with a couple of very good running backs and a QB that can throw it down the field.  Maybe not as bad as last year, but probably something like 35-7.  South Carolina will be tough at Columbia.  Toss up.  I still say 7-5 or 6-6.  VERY DISAPPOINTING for year FIVE of Bielema.
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 30, 2017, 09:20:01 pm
The OP is one big time homer. SC and Auburn will embarrass Arkansas. I did not read the rest.

Cannot believe the SC game is at 3. I will wager that the Alabama game will be at 11:00.
Another correct prediction. SC did embarrass the Hogs. And they say I am always wrong. But I am wrong occasionally about inconsequential things like game times: Alabama game will not be at 11 as I previously predicted.