Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Raising Arkansas

Started by Cinco de Hogo, February 24, 2018, 08:37:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

I have long said that Arkansas was under-recruited and under appreciated by the previous staff.  Very little effort was shown by that staff to improve relationships with coaches or players that might help us two-three years down the road.  Very little effort was made to identify the great physical talent that exist in the state and furthermore NO effort was made towards intentionally effecting the development of that great physical talent.

I truly believe that for the first time in my life we have a coach that can see the possibilities of greatly improving that talent level and is willing to get down in the dirt so to speak with coaches around the state.  This is something this state has needed for a very long time and I believe it will produce dividends in the very near future.  And look, i'm close to NWA but the culture in NWA is NOT such that you can be sure who is a Hog fan and who isn't. 

The Razorbacks need the whole state!  It s just as important that we find the great undeveloped talent from the smaller schools in the eastern part of the state as it is we get the more polished player from some of the bigger school districts.  They can all be coached up in HS and in college.

Forget "Being Brett" and get ready for "Raising Arkansas"!

bphi11ips

Can I get an Amen!?!?!

Preach it Amigo!
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rtr

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 24, 2018, 08:37:03 pm
I have long said that Arkansas was under-recruited and under appreciated by the previous staff.  Very little effort was shown by that staff to improve relationships with coaches or players that might help us two-three years down the road.  Very little effort was made to identify the great physical talent that exist in the state and furthermore NO effort was made towards intentionally effecting the development of that great physical talent.

I truly believe that for the first time in my life we have a coach that can see the possibilities of greatly improving that talent level and is willing to get down in the dirt so to speak with coaches around the state.  This is something this state has needed for a very long time and I believe it will produce dividends in the very near future.  And look, i'm close to NWA but the culture in NWA is NOT such that you can be sure who is a Hog fan and who isn't. 

The Razorbacks need the whole state!  It s just as important that we find the great undeveloped talent from the smaller schools in the eastern part of the state as it is we get the more polished player from some of the bigger school districts.  They can all be coached up in HS and in college.

This has had needed to said for a long time, kudos to you.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

247Hog

Good post. Would really love to see the pissing matches of this part of the state vs. that part come to an end. I love Arkansas and i will root and follow Arkansas kids no matter what town they live in.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

liljo

Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

jgphillips3

If he can get the Little Rock schools reinvigorated, that alone would produce another 2-5 high level D1 talents per year which presumably we could be a first choice for in recruiting.

rtr

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 24, 2018, 09:28:28 pm
If he can get the Little Rock schools reinvigorated, that alone would produce another 2-5 high level D1 talents per year which presumably we could be a first choice for in recruiting.
Huge beyond words.

rtr

Quote from: liljo on February 24, 2018, 09:51:00 pm
There are a few of these Former Hoggettes on every thread, it seems.  :-\
He/She is rather emotional.

Melancholy_Pigg

IDK what the deal was with Bielema.  Some people are able to rise to great heights in their profession without really knowing anything about the nuts-n-bolts of what makes stuff work.  (a lot of these types are great manipulators of others)

I think in a way Bielema proved what I once heard about fishing lures.  (just humor me)

Are fishing lures made to catch fish?   Or are they made to catch Fisherman?

That little diddy helps explain how we wound up with a coach that most of our fan lauded as an OL guru and heaped praise on for "doing it the right way"

But you looked on the field and our OL looked soft and stood up after the snap.

Bielema is better at cultivating the image of being a great coach NOT actually being a great coach.

They are 2 different things - Appearance vs. Reality. 

The appearance can sell an AD like Jeff Long and a good manipulator can set the hook deep and early (like with a love letter...err...fax).

And Bielema sold that image to a lot of our fans - don't think there is not some folks who deep down know they have egg on their face.

They are going to be free & easy with the negativity and criticism of the Morris regime - basically they will be Debbie Downers.   Oh - and of course remind us all of what a "great" guy Bielema is (bunch of BS if you ask me)

As far as I'm concerned, to be fair, Morris has all the passes Bielema got.

But you know what?  I don't think he'll need them.

rtr

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on February 24, 2018, 09:56:05 pm
IDK what the deal was with Bielema.  Some people are able to rise to great heights in their profession without really knowing anything about the nuts-n-bolts of what makes stuff work.  (a lot of these types are great manipulators of others)

I think in a way Bielema proved what I once heard about fishing lures.  (just humor me)

That little diddy helps explain how we wound up with a coach that most of our fan lauded as an OL guru and heaped praise on for "doing it the right way"

Bielema is better at cultivating the image of being a great coach NOT actually being a great coach.

The appearance can sell an AD like Jeff Long and a good manipulator can set the hook deep and early (like with a love letter...err...fax).

And Bielema sold that image to a lot of our fans - don't think there is not some folks who deep down know they have egg on their face.

They are going to be free & easy with the negativity and criticism of the Morris regime - basically they will be Debbie Downers.   Oh - and of course remind us all of what a "great" guy Bielema is (bunch of BS if you ask me)

Well said, without Barry Alvarez standing over him the wheels came off.

Cinco de Hogo

I didn't start this thread as another bash the previous staff thread but I guess I did open the door.  What I wanted to convey was the excitement that should be building in the HS ranks, coaches and players alike, based on what CCM has said and in fact is DOING.  I wanted to express my excitement for what it means for any HS player working towards a D-1 offer.   I believe they and their coaches can expect a new level of accessibility from the staff.

However most of all I want them to know i'm pulling for each and every one of them to not only get a D-1 offer but to get one from Arkansas and that I pray they will give Arkansas first chance.  That's what it means to be born and bred an Arkansan and to love the Razorbacks.

Furthermore we all need to be together on this because as it happens more and more of the Bama's will come calling with their song and dance story.

Hawgphat

I refuse to disparage Bret Bielema.  He needed to go, and he's gone.  The 5-year Bret Bielema Era is behind us.  The Chad Morris Era has begun.  I have high hopes for a substantial upswing in Razorback football fortunes under the leadership of Coach Morris, and my focus is on the here and now.  I truly believe that our overall football fortunes will substantially improve under Coach Morris; - - not instantaneously, in all likelihood, - - - -  but hopefully in a steadily-progressing success ratio.

I believe wholeheartedly that Coach Morris & Staff are deserving of my full, unconditional support in the kickoff of this new era; - - -and they have it without reservation.

Woo

Pig

SOOIE!!!!!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I need me  Quarterback Hi...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 24, 2018, 11:38:17 pm
I need me  Quarterback Hi...

Well,

Being truthful that went over my head and I don't know that I should feel bad that it did. LOL!

rtr

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 25, 2018, 12:03:43 am
Well,

Being truthful that went over my head and I don't know that I should feel bad that it did. LOL!
Just a joke, a play on the movie Raising Arizona.  Take it as a compliment.  Your opening post is still spot on.

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: rtr on February 24, 2018, 10:00:42 pm
Well said, without Barry Alvarez standing over him the wheels came off.

You know - I've wondered that - maybe had he been under a more involved authoritarian type AD he would have done better.  Knowing he had Long virtually brainwashed Manson Family style (I'm sorry - but if it is true Long was willing to risk his job by refusing to fire Bielema at the end of year five I don't know what else to call it) and all that sweet easy $$$ - well that might have hurt Bielema.

And with that - no more Bielema bashing for me in this thread - I like Morris and Go Hogs!!

Al Boarland

February 25, 2018, 04:21:00 am #16 Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:30:58 am by Al Boarland
Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on February 24, 2018, 09:56:05 pm

Good post. I just think right now everyone is looking for way to believe CCM is the polar opposite of CBB. This is common when a coaching change occurs. Old coach never did anything right. New coach is pulling all the right levers to MArkGA.

This cycle will repeat itself again one day. The criteria will be different, but the pattern the same.

I think I'll just call it fanatical psychosis going forward.

The NewEra

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 25, 2018, 04:21:00 am
Good post. I just think right now everyone is looking for way to believe CCM is the polar opposite of CBB. This is common when a coaching change occurs. Old coach never did anything right. New coach is pulling all the right levers to MArkGA.

This cycle will repeat itself again one day. The criteria will be different, but the pattern the same.

I think I'll just call it fanatical psychosis going forward.

CCM is the polar opposite of CBB.  At least in the first 60+ days he has been.  One man is a doer and the other is a talker.

To the OP's topic, Bielema didn't even offer Billy Ferrell or several other SEC level recruits from the state.  I think Lunney did a good job and recommended several players to CBB that he for some reason never offered.  This staff is absolutely outworking the previous one and their approach to all High School coaches is much more engaging and inclusive. 

You are so desperate for things to go wrong with CMM and his staff you're unwilling to see what's right in front of your eyes.  You need to give your Psychology for Beginners book back to the Librarian and check one out on "Reality for Beginners".

MuskogeeHogFan

Since 2005, how many under-developed/under-evaluated 2 and 3 star players have we missed out on signing that were from the state of Arkansas?
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: The NewEra on February 25, 2018, 08:06:59 am
CCM is the polar opposite of CBB.  At least in the first 60+ days he has been.  One man is a doer and the other is a talker.

To the OP's topic, Bielema didn't even offer Billy Ferrell or several other SEC level recruits from the state.  I think Lunney did a good job and recommended several players to CBB that he for some reason never offered.  This staff is absolutely outworking the previous one and their approach to all High School coaches is much more engaging and inclusive. 

You are so desperate for things to go wrong with CMM and his staff you're unwilling to see what's right in front of your eyes.  You need to give your Psychology for Beginners book back to the Librarian and check one out on "Reality for Beginners".

Do you believe this is the recipe for success?

The NewEra

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 25, 2018, 08:43:38 am

What I believe after evaluating everything I've researched and seen since CMM being hired is that "He Has The Recipe For Success".  Every recipe has multiple ingredients.  Maximizing the talent opportunity in Arkansas is only one of the ingredients, but a necessary one.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 25, 2018, 08:43:38 am

Increased emphasis on Arkansas players is part of the recipe, if that's what you're asking.

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 25, 2018, 08:32:12 am
Since 2005, how many under-developed/under-evaluated 2 and 3 star players have we missed out on signing that were from the state of Arkansas?

I would love to know this number, but I would bet it's at least close to a minimum of 20.

Porkys Revenge

Stars don't matter, a miss is a miss. Here's a few we should have landed:

Akial Byers
Damarea Crockett
Kenneth Dixon
KJ Hill
Kiehl Frazier
Josh Frazier
Zac Brooks
Altee Tenpenny

And Billy Ferrell would not be coming if Bert were still coach.

Al Boarland

Quote from: The NewEra on February 25, 2018, 09:34:02 am
What I believe after evaluating everything I've researched and seen since CMM being hired is that "He Has The Recipe For Success".  Every recipe has multiple ingredients.  Maximizing the talent opportunity in Arkansas is only one of the ingredients, but a necessary one.

If his recipe doesn't lead to success, but you believe his recipe is what it takes to be successful how will you feel about the next coach's recipe? It will be different.

ricepig

Quote from: The NewEra on February 25, 2018, 08:06:59 am

As to Farrell, I believe RD said the previous staff would have offered him too, after the necessary work was done. His offers came when they did for a reason. There's no doubt Morris and Bielema have different approaches to recruiting, style of offense, and personalities. I'll hope Morris succeeds just as I hoped Bielema would have, because I'm a Razorback first and foremost.

Cinco de Hogo

That's the point isn't it?  Why do they alway need to be underdeveloped why can't a coach have an effect on what has alway been a problem.  Do you think his talk about access for coaches is empty talk?  What would be his goal if not to try and improve the value of the players.  Face it he's not looking to recruit HS coaches into his staff(at least not very often).  So wouldn't it be easy to assume he's looking for better players?

When this subject comes up someone alway ask the question you ask and the reason they do is they don't believe Arkansas can produce more than it has in the past.  I'm the opposite, I believe Arkansas can produce 3-5 more athletes to the Razorback program each year IF an effort is made to reach out to the states programs and build relationships with the players and coaches on a level never before tried in Arkansas.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 25, 2018, 09:55:09 am
If his recipe doesn't lead to success, but you believe his recipe is what it takes to be successful how will you feel about the next coach's recipe? It will be different.

How do you define success?  Many here define it in terms of "relevancy", which seems to me to be defined by the same folks as national championships and weekly discussion by ESPN commentators as a playoff contender.

Until very recently, I think Arkansas has been a very successful, and relevant, football program for the 50 years I can remember as a fan. I began questioning Bobby Petrino's nationwide recruiting and player emphasis when he was winning double digit games, and got flamed for it. I questioned Bret Bielema's lack of focus on Texas from the beginning, and got flamed for it.

Frank Broyles established the recipe for success at Arkansas. It started with great assistant coaches and players within Arkansas's recruiting footprint, with emphasis on Arkansas players. Lou Holtz and Ken Hatfield continued the recipe, as did Danny Ford and Houston Nutt.  Arkansas was not a bad team under Ford and Nutt. They had down years, but they faced stiffer competition than their predecessors. Chad Morris will face the same challenge.

Morris is old enough to remember when the Arkansas recipe produced some of its best teams from the mid-70's to early 80's.  The rest of the recipe is the "want to, how to" process.

Everything is good.

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 25, 2018, 10:12:20 am
That's the point isn't it?  Why do they alway need to be underdeveloped why can't a coach have an effect on what has alway been a problem.  Do you think his talk about access for coaches is empty talk?  What would be his goal if not to try and improve the value of the players.  Face it he's not looking to recruit HS coaches into his staff(at least not very often).  So wouldn't it be easy to assume he's looking for better players?

When this subject comes up someone alway ask the question you ask and the reason they do is they don't believe Arkansas can produce more than it has in the past.  I'm the opposite, I believe Arkansas can produce 3-5 more athletes to the Razorback program each year IF an effort is made to reach out to the states programs and build relationships with the players and coaches on a level never before tried in Arkansas.

The previous staff had high school coaches up for practice and to meet with them. I don't think they shouted it at the top of their lungs, but staffs were welcome. I agree the practice of visiting every school is good for relationship building, I suspect the previous staff just hit up the schools with a previous relationship or a recruit. The other 3-5 players are either a 6' PG or forward on their basketball team, or walking the halls. If something they do helps the local high school coach get them on the football team, then that's a plus.

Cinco de Hogo

Some of you are intentionally missing the point.  It is waaay past time that an Arkansas coach made an effort to raise the quality of player available IN Arkansas.  My post was about what CCM has said about access to his program(do you think he is talking about out of state coaches)and building better relationships with them.  What his purpose in talking extensively about his past as a HS coach and what that has meant to him.  I think his purpose is to mine that past and those experiences in any way he can.

Now of course all of us will have to wait to see if his Philosophy works and if it leads to more wins but since it has been my philosophy for years of course i'm Excited to at least see it in action.

The NewEra

I'm living in the here and now.  I don't know what the future holds.  If we have a new coach in the future I don't have a clue as to how I will feel about that hire.  You're so intent on finding something negative you have to resort to hypotheticals.  How about you just take a seat and watch this play out instead of constantly trying to find something negative to lob out there?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2018, 10:20:21 am
The previous staff had high school coaches up for practice and to meet with them. I don't think they shouted it at the top of their lungs, but staffs were welcome. I agree the practice of visiting every school is good for relationship building, I suspect the previous staff just hit up the schools with a previous relationship or a recruit. The other 3-5 players are either a 6' PG or forward on their basketball team, or walking the halls. If something they do helps the local high school coach get them on the football team, then that's a plus.

Someone above said and I agree, Little Rock alone "could" produce 3-5 more athletes if a coach were to be successful in affecting the culture that exist there.  Enlist the help of Keith Jackson, Fritz Hill and others but for heavens sake someone needs to do something.

Little Rock, Fort Smith, Pune Bluff and an endless list of cities and towns have athletes, who have the same physical tools that are available in most southern states.  It would be possible for Arkansas to become elite and remain elite if somehow a coach could develop the "Friday Night Football" in this state to a much hgher level. 

I assume you know HS football fairly well,  what would you do if you were want to build a sustainable program at Arkansas?  Would you forever be satisfied with competing for out of state players with all the other big time programs or would you work you asz of trying to build up the instate talent?   I know I would do both but I also believe that the instate talent is the only way we will rise above the level we have been....well that and CCM's connections to Texas High Schools that already exist.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 25, 2018, 09:47:24 am
Stars don't matter, a miss is a miss. Here's a few we should have landed:

Akial Byers
Damarea Crockett
Kenneth Dixon
KJ Hill
Kiehl Frazier
Josh Frazier
Zac Brooks
Altee Tenpenny

And Billy Ferrell would not be coming if Bert were still coach.

That really wasn't the point of the question. Arkansas has done a pretty good job of retaining highly rated talent from within the state over the years.

From 2002-2017 there have been 5-5 star players from the state, Arkansas has signed 4 of them. Over that same period of time there have been 37-4 stars from Arkansas and the Hogs have signed 23.

Breaking it down by Coach, from 2002-2007 there were 12 available, Nutt signed 5. 2008-2011 there were 8 and Petrino signed 7. In 2012 Arkansas produced 3-4 stars, JLS signed 1. From 2013-2017 Arkansas produced 14-4 stars and Bielema signed 10 of them.

Three star players are a different scenario. Under Nutt: 41 available, signed 35. Petrino: 46 and 18. JLS: 14 and 4. Bielema: 84 and 19.

Two star players-Nutt: 78 and 5, Petrino: 38 and 4, JLS: 17 and 0, Bielema: 61 and 1.

I'm sure we probably missed out on some kids. Nutt probably did the best job of networking the state and he had a nice built-in advantage with high schools because of his family name in Arkansas. No doubt that helped. Petrino didn't exactly set the world on fire in signing 3 stars from Arkansas. He averaged slightly over 4 each year. Bielema didn't improve on that in signing 19 in 5 years at Arkansas.

It is however, pretty interesting that Arkansas players seem to be garnering more attention if you notice the upward trend in the number of players being evaluated as 3 star quality in Arkansas over the past 5 years. The question is, has the quality of HS football improved in the state, are coaches doing a better job of developing the available talent or has the talent always been there and has just been overlooked by the recruiting services?
Go Hogs Go!

kaiserhog

I tend to think that Arkansas gets overlooked by recruiting services, especially the smaller schools.  The smaller the school the more likely the player is going to need development due to coaching, facilities, and the lack of spring ball.  I prefer a coach to make his own evaluation and rely less on the internet.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 25, 2018, 10:37:07 am
Someone above said and I agree, Little Rock alone "could" produce 3-5 more athletes if a coach were to be successful in affecting the culture that exist there.  Enlist the help of Keith Jackson, Fritz Hill and others but for heavens sake someone needs to do something.

Little Rock, Fort Smith, Pune Bluff and an endless list of cities and towns have athletes, who have the same physical tools that are available in most southern states.  It would be possible for Arkansas to become elite and remain elite if somehow a coach could develop the "Friday Night Football" in this state to a much hgher level. 

I assume you know HS football fairly well,  what would you do if you were want to build a sustainable program at Arkansas?  Would you forever be satisfied with competing for out of state players with all the other big time programs or would you work you asz of trying to build up the instate talent?   I know I would do both but I also believe that the instate talent is the only way we will rise above the level we have been....well that and CCM's connections to Texas High Schools that already exist.

I'm not sure that there is anything that the HC at the University of Arkansas can do to improve the quality of the high school football programs in Arkansas. He can share his philosophy, his schemes, his training programs, the access to the program. But other than those things within his control, what else can he do?
Go Hogs Go!

oldhawg

Yikes.  Looking too far ahead.  Baffles my brain.  :0

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 25, 2018, 11:38:38 am
I'm not sure that there is anything that the HC at the University of Arkansas can do to improve the quality of the high school football programs in Arkansas. He can share his philosophy, his schemes, his training programs, the access to the program. But other than those things within his control, what else can he do?

I don't know what all can be done within the rules but I do know The U of A is the flagship U in the state and would be a good suspect for leadership in this area.   From what I see and hear CCM does intend to provide a higher level of leadership and that's a good thing.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 25, 2018, 10:12:20 am

I have always felt that High School coaching and talent eval have both been lacking in Arkansas. Well, more of the ability of Arkansas high school coaches to get the word out about their players, and or develop the players skills in the "measurables" used to rate recruits. I have a feeling that with CCM at the helm in Fayetteville that coaches will be able to receive the skills they need to help their players reach the NCAA.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 25, 2018, 11:49:35 am
I don't know what all can be done within the rules but I do know The U of A is the flagship U in the state and would be a good suspect for leadership in this area.   From what I see and hear CCM does intend to provide a higher level of leadership and that's a good thing.

Outside of having the coaches at spring practices, and encouraging them, I can't think of anything legally they can do. They'll probably be a few more coaches at spring practice because the majority run some type of spread attack, hopefully winning brings back some interest in the schools. In LR, it's a money thing, and sports are the least of their problems. Pulaski Robinson and a few others in the PCCSD have put some money into facilities and this has helped with numbers which generally improves your chance of having prospects. However, there was an article the other day talking about them having to make large cuts in spending due to no longer getting desegregation payments. It all boils down to money at most of these places, and there isn't anyone wanting to pay more taxes.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 25, 2018, 12:19:30 pm
I have always felt that High School coaching and talent eval have both been lacking in Arkansas. Well, more of the ability of Arkansas high school coaches to get the word out about their players, and or develop the players skills in the "measurables" used to rate recruits. I have a feeling that with CCM at the helm in Fayetteville that coaches will be able to receive the skills they need to help their players reach the NCAA.

This is what I'm saying, and I think it's worth a lot of effort.  There are no coaches out there that don't want to win.  If you increase the skill level of a few a few more will want the same thing and before you know it you have an epidemic.  Iron sharpens iron and that's what the doubters alway bring up, Arkansas football players aren't as good as out of state players because they don't play the same level competition.  Well maybe CCM will have a positive effect on that, and that's what i'm hoping will happen.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2018, 12:46:03 pm
Outside of having the coaches at spring practices, and encouraging them, I can't think of anything legally they can do. They'll probably be a few more coaches at spring practice because the majority run some type of spread attack, hopefully winning brings back some interest in the schools. In LR, it's a money thing, and sports are the least of their problems. Pulaski Robinson and a few others in the PCCSD have put some money into facilities and this has helped with numbers which generally improves your chance of having prospects. However, there was an article the other day talking about them having to make large cuts in spending due to no longer getting desegregation payments. It all boils down to money at most of these places, and there isn't anyone wanting to pay more taxes.

I personally will probably never know what can be down or the full extent of what is being down but one thing I have wondered about is if the RF could have a fund to pay for different thing connected to the states high schools.  What i'm Talking about mostly is informational and organizational efforts, clinics, very specific information about training equipment and training regimens all tailored towards producing athletes for CCM's schemes.  I push this because as you know I have been very steadfast in my belief that Arkansas Best chances are with the high powered offense and lighter fast attacking defenses.  Arkansas can produce those players and we need to stick to what we do best.  If CCM ever moves on I hope we keep our identity to the next coach.  That means all efforts done now will pay dividends always. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2018, 12:46:03 pm

If I had to guess, Pulaski Robinson has an active booster club comprised primarily of parents of players who raise money for the football team.  They probably contribute something out of their own pocket, but a lot of the cost of supporting high school football comes from local sponsorships and events, like golf tournaments. Players raise money as well from sales of coupon books, etc.

High school football is expensive. One major expense is the "cloth", as coaches often call everything from game unifirms to team issued sweat clothes, shorts and t-shirts. Other expenses include weight room, field maintenance, travel, food, and cleaning uniforms. Every year scoreboards, goal posts, sound systems, etc., must be maintained and new equipment acquired periodically.

Here's how it works in public schools in Williamson County, Tennessee, an area that annually produces multiple P5 recruits from a population of just over 200,000.  Brentwood High School's budget for football operations is about $150,000 annually. That doesn't include coaches' salaries, stadium maintenance, concessions operations or anything related to the basic infrastructure. The school keeps ticket sales and concessions profits and those go into the school's general athletic fund.  The county does not fund athletics directly, but it does build athletic facilities with contributions from other federal, state and local government sources. So - government provides coaches and a place to play and practice, but everything else has to be raised from private sources.

I don't know how local governments in Arkansas fund high school athletics, but I suspect it works much the same way it does here.  That means, at least in public schools, where the majority of athletes are likely to be found with the physical attributes that make potential college football players, parents are going to have to step up to build first class programs. My guess is that is what happens in places like Bryant, Cabot, Conway, Pulaski Robinson, Greenwood, Fayetteville, Springdale and Bentonville. If it happened at Hall, Central, Parkview, Fort Smith Northside, and West Memphis, those teams would dominate Arkansas football the way they once did.

Rice is correct - it's about money, but even more than that, it's about people who care enough to raise the money.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 25, 2018, 11:38:38 am
I agree to an extent. While it's true that the entire staff on the Hill can make themselves available to high schools AND proactively engage with them, much of the ability to raise the overall quality of football within the state has to begin with the local school district(s) and communities. Why do you think that's one of the reason most Texas high schools have such strong gridiron pedigrees-it's the incredible grass-roots support that so many of the towns and cities give their programs. Heck, many of their stadiums, many filled to the brim, approach (or exceed) the size of some colleges. And in many cases the stands are crammed full many Friday nights. Yes, some of that undoubtedly has to do with monies available to support and grow the programs; however, some of it also has to do with families, schools, teachers and administrators  and entire communities lending their backing as well.

The sad thing is that when you look at the facilities-weight training, practice, availability (or lack) of off season practices and coaching opportunities-this state in many districts is sadly lacking. Can't expect kids in many cases to have no/little access to weight rooms, film facilities, spring practices, coaching interaction and still expect them to develop to the same degree that many others in states and school districts that do.

SooieGeneris

One of the problems with the UA football program in the SEC Era is: whatever happened to the LR school district and LR HS football.

There used to be a minimum of 5-6 D1 prospects in the LR area every year. Now there are maybe 2-3 most years. The population has not decreased in that time.

For whatever reason, I believe there are a lot of potential D1 football players walking the halls, playing in the band or doing something besides playing HS football..

Having a former HS coach with a modern spread offense and a cutting edge approach to recruiting, fancy graphics and a constant presence on twitter might get more people engaged enough to get some of those kids to play football. A residual effect.

Other than that, I'm not sure CM can do much about these issues. Winning games sure wouldn't hurt. None of these new, more modern approaches can hurt and might actually help. Time will tell.

This move to possibly start a football program at UALR, at least study the feasibility of it might get more kids involved in Central AR.

And jumping ahead to the next coach by one poster and how his hypothetical approach might differ is just silly. With no games on the resume, no one knows how long Morris might or might not stay.

If he wins a lot, he will have suitors, but with Swinney not going anywhere any time soon at Clemson, Fisher having the mega-contract at A&M and Herman seeming to have Texas on the way back, those places likely won't be hiring another coach any time soon. Anywhere else: CM probably wouldn't want to uproot his family again and move. Especially if it involved another rebuild.

Winning would bring about suitors for those young offensive assistants like Craddock and Steppe in time to be a HC at smaller schools, but again, that's jumping ahead too far.

If Morris does not win, he'll be gone in 5 years like anyone. I see no reason he won't win. The same people who say we should stop talking about or "bashing" Bert and predicting doom and gloom for the new Era will be giving Bert credit if we win the next two seasons.. some people don't get irony..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 25, 2018, 01:28:03 pm
If I had to guess, Pulaski Robinson has an active booster club comprised primarily of parents of players who raise money for the football team.  They probably contribute something out of their own pocket, but a lot of the cost of supporting high school football comes from local sponsorships and events, like golf tournaments. Players raise money as well from sales of coupon books, etc.

High school football is expensive. One major expense is the "cloth", as coaches often call everything from game unifirms to team issued sweat clothes, shorts and t-shirts. Other expenses include weight room, field maintenance, travel, food, and cleaning uniforms. Every year scoreboards, goal posts, sound systems, etc., must be maintained and new equipment acquired periodically.

Here's how it works in public schools in Williamson County, Tennessee, an area that annually produces multiple P5 recruits from a population of just over 200,000.  Brentwood High School's budget for football operations is about $150,000 annually. That doesn't include coaches' salaries, stadium maintenance, concessions operations or anything related to the basic infrastructure. The school keeps ticket sales and concessions profits and those go into the school's general athletic fund.  The county does not fund athletics directly, but it does build athletic facilities with contributions from other federal, state and local government sources. So - government provides coaches and a place to play and practice, but everything else has to be raised from private sources.

I don't know how local governments in Arkansas fund high school athletics, but I suspect it works much the same way it does here.  That means, at least in public schools, where the majority of athletes are likely to be found with the physical attributes that make potential college football players, parents are going to have to step up to build first class programs. My guess is that is what happens in places like Bryant, Cabot, Conway, Pulaski Robinson, Greenwood, Fayetteville, Springdale and Bentonville. If it happened at Hall, Central, Parkview, Fort Smith Northside, and West Memphis, those teams would dominate Arkansas football the way they once did.

Rice is correct - it's about money, but even more than that, it's about people who care enough to raise the money.

I don't know every district does it, but in Jonesboro the district provides everything esential. Sure, they sell those cards for some type of "swag", usually some type of sweats/travel gear, but has been jerseys they got to keep. They have 3 jersey , 3 pants, and two different helmets, so plenty provided by the district. The school has various sport specific booster clubs and a school athletic booster club. They'll provide pre/post game meals as about 50% of the athletes in football and 75% in basketball are free lunch kids. However, everybody eats for free at our school, so no one really knows.

As to the raising money, it usually falls on those who are able to, to do the most, it can be quite frustrating, but it is what it is. We are fortunate to have a good community willing to help out, most of the LR schools aren't as fortunate.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 25, 2018, 01:31:36 pm
I agree to an extent. While it's true that the entire staff on the Hill can make themselves available to high schools AND proactively engage with them, much of the ability to raise the overall quality of football within the state has to begin with the local school district(s) and communities. Why do you think that's one of the reason most Texas high schools have such strong gridiron pedigrees-it's the incredible grass-roots support that so many of the towns and cities give their programs. Heck, many of their stadiums, many filled to the brim, approach (or exceed) the size of some colleges. And in many cases the stands are crammed full many Friday nights. Yes, some of that undoubtedly has to do with monies available to support and grow the programs; however, some of it also has to do with families, schools, teachers and administrators  and entire communities lending their backing as well.

The sad thing is that when you look at the facilities-weight training, practice, availability (or lack) of off season practices and coaching opportunities-this state in many districts is sadly lacking. Can't expect kids in many cases to have no/little access to weight rooms, film facilities, spring practices, coaching interaction and still expect them to develop to the same degree that many others in states and school districts that do.

Sounds like you agree with what I posted. There isn't anything this staff can do to improve HS football in Arkansas short of making themselves as available as possible, sharing their knowledge and perhaps (didn't mention this earlier) having a greater and more frequent presence in as many HS's as possible in the state. Of course, this staff has their time limitations as well. They may actually get more traffic through the football offices simply because Morris' offense is more like the one that many HS coaching staffs run and Morris has a reputation as a really good offensive coach. We'll see.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2018, 01:49:53 pm
I don't know every district does it, but in Jonesboro the district provides everything esential. Sure, they sell those cards for some type of "swag", usually some type of sweats/travel gear, but has been jerseys they got to keep. They have 3 jersey , 3 pants, and two different helmets, so plenty provided by the district. The school has various sport specific booster clubs and a school athletic booster club. They'll provide pre/post game meals as about 50% of the athletes in football and 75% in basketball are free lunch kids. However, everybody eats for free at our school, so no one really knows.

As to the raising money, it usually falls on those who are able to, to do the most, it can be quite frustrating, but it is what it is. We are fortunate to have a good community willing to help out, most of the LR schools aren't as fortunate.

BHS's budget isn't for swag. County doesn't pay for uniforms, helmets, weights, squat racks, etc. Booster club even built fieldhouse.

jkstock04

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 25, 2018, 10:37:07 am

I've long said sort of what you are saying...if the university were serious about improving recruiting, someone needs to put of an effort into building Arkansas high school football to a better level.

This is not something that would happen overnight and I don't know what the exact answer is (I've got some ideas). But in general, especially these places you are talking about...we need to improve numbers and quality in my opinion. People have no idea how many of these potential legit division 1 athletes just fall through the cracks in our state.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 25, 2018, 02:40:39 pm
I’ve long said sort of what you are saying...if the university were serious about improving recruiting, someone needs to put of an effort into building Arkansas high school football to a better level.

This is not something that would happen overnight and I don’t know what the exact answer is (I’ve got some ideas). But in general, especially these places you are talking about...we need to improve numbers and quality in my opinion. People have no idea how many of these potential legit division 1 athletes just fall through the cracks in our state.

It would take the right person with the passion, funding and support to get it done.  A key component would be igniting and channeling community support all over Arkansas.  Quality community based youth football programs and broadly accessible development programs for "elite" high school athletes are also important.  The Razorbacks must be an ancillary beneficiary of the push.  The interest of the players themselves all over the state would need to be the primary focus.  If politics and under the table money pollute the system, it won't work. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 25, 2018, 03:00:46 pm
It would take the right person with the passion, funding and support to get it done.  A key component would be igniting and channeling community support all over Arkansas.  Quality community based youth football programs and broadly accessible development programs for "elite" high school athletes are also important.  The Razorbacks must be an ancillary beneficiary of the push.  The interest of the players themselves all over the state would need to be the primary focus.  If politics and under the table money pollute the system, it won't work. 

I'm not as familiar with Arkansas HS Football as I am Oklahoma, but I have heard mentioned on here many times that part of the problem is not consolidating school districts. I don't know if that has a negative effect or not, but it seems like I have read that many times on here. Of course consolidation means some kids having to travel further to school than before (if some schools are closed) and a town losing their established identity as a school district, mascot identity, etc, but that might help channel funds to athletic programs and put more kids into a program where a greater competitive edge might be found.

Naturally, this is a political issue and some may be in favor while others certainly will not be in favor of the notion. But what else can be done? Maybe Arkansas based corporations can get together and split up communities that could be aided by their financial sponsorship? Maybe it already occurs? I'm not sure.
Go Hogs Go!