Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What if there had been social media in 1958

Started by Hogs7672, December 12, 2017, 03:39:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs7672

We hired a head coach with one year experience that had went 5-4-1.

Lost his first 6 games, including to Rice and TCU.....

Can you imagine today.....and that coach turned out OK.... :)

JONAS

People would have been bitching about Broyles.  Maybe they were.  I wasn't around back then.

HiggiePiggy

We did that in 98 when we hired Nutt.  1 year at Boise State where he had a losing season.

What is funny is since Houston Nutt, Boise State has not had a losing season since his only year coaching.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 12, 2017, 04:19:21 pm
We did that in 98 when we hired Nutt.  1 year at Boise State where he had a losing season.

What is funny is since Houston Nutt, Boise State has not had a losing season since his only year coaching.

Wasn't Nutt HC at Murray State for 3-4 years before going to Boise?

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

WilsonHog

I suspect you would see something very similar to what we experience daily now.

I am a partaker of social media. Message boards, Twitter, and Facebook. Nevertheless, if we all woke up tomorrow morning to a world with no social media whatsoever, I would count that as a wonderful and fortuitous advancement for our society.

JONAS

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 12, 2017, 04:28:25 pm

I am a partaker of social media. Message boards, Twitter, and Facebook. Nevertheless, if we all woke up tomorrow morning to a world with no social media whatsoever, I would count that as a wonderful and fortuitous advancement for our society.

Me too especially Facebook. 

JONAS

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 12, 2017, 04:19:21 pm

Nutt credits himself for getting that program rolling.

redeye

We probably would have run off Broyles and Arkansas would be like Kansas today.

hogsanity

If social media had existed in 1958, the world would have imploded by now.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JONAS

Quote from: hogsanity on December 12, 2017, 04:35:36 pm

You are probably right.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 12, 2017, 04:27:48 pm
Yeah. He was.

He was 31 - 16 at Murray State over four years. The first two years he had a losing record. The next two he had a great record thanks to a transfer QB from Arkansas named Mike Cherry.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

JONAS

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2017, 05:29:44 pm
He was 31 - 16 at Murray State over four years. The first two years he had a losing record. The next two he had a great record thanks to a transfer QB from Arkansas named Mike Cherry.......................

Didn't Cherry go on to play for the New York Giants?

ur

Twitter Dec 7, 1941 "Sorry, Arkansas, but Uncle Sam called".

JONAS

Quote from: ur on December 12, 2017, 05:48:38 pm
Twitter Dec 7, 1941 "Sorry, Arkansas, but Uncle Sam called".

My response would be, "Dammit, Japan!"

secfan30

Quote from: JONAS on December 12, 2017, 05:54:32 pm
My response would be, "Dammit, Japan!"

Japan's response:

"Speaker louder, we can't hear you over the noise between us".

Obviously I'm just playing a part here and mean no disrespect.

JONAS

Quote from: secfan30 on December 12, 2017, 05:57:26 pm
Japan's response:

"Speaker louder, we can't hear you over the noise between us".

Obviously I'm just playing a part here and mean no disrespect.

Haha

Anyone know how many people the Razorback Stadium held in 1958.  Also how many real coaches were available to hire in 1958 that was actively looking for another job.  What the pay was  in 1958.  I believe Frank Broyles spent just one year at MO before taking the offered job at Arkansas.

JONAS

Quote from: 12247 on December 12, 2017, 06:10:02 pm
Anyone know how many people the Razorback Stadium held in 1958.  Also how many real coaches were available to hire in 1958 that was actively looking for another job.  What the pay was  in 1958.  I believe Frank Broyles spent just one year at MO before taking the offered job at Arkansas.

Not very much.  I think I read where we tried to hire Bear Bryant from Kentucky right before he went to Texas A&M.  I think we were going to pay him $14,000.  Not sure though.

redeye

Quote from: JONAS on December 12, 2017, 06:21:40 pm
Not very much.  I think I read where we tried to hire Bear Bryant from Kentucky right before he went to Texas A&M.  I think we were going to pay him $14,000.  Not sure though.

My recollection is that Bryant was on his way to accept the Arkansas job, when news of the war broke out.  So he turned the car around and enlisted in the military.

ur

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: 12247 on December 12, 2017, 06:10:02 pm

The wooden bleachers  (no lights) held about 43K.  Tulsa & Okie lite were on our schedule every year.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

The NewEra

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 12, 2017, 07:08:25 pm
The wooden bleachers  (no lights) held about 43K.  Tulsa & Okie lite were on our schedule every year.

Does this bring back memories?  They look to be enjoying themselves and I don't see one person checking their cell phones?   :D

Tusker4life

You are probably right, Hogville would have been churning over Broyles. My dad til this day hates Broyles, Switzer, Hatfield, Ford,Nutt, BB and especially Jack Crowe. He liked Holtz but that was it as far as coaches at UA. He isn't much on JJ or BP either. So yea I think it woulda been crazy. I think he has a chip on his shoulder cause we didn't hire The Bear in 58.

Quote from: JONAS on December 12, 2017, 03:58:32 pm
People would have been bitching about Broyles.  Maybe they were.  I wasn't around back then.
Cheering for Alabama because they are in the SEC is like cheering for the Devil because he is in the Bible...

JONAS

Quote from: redeye on December 12, 2017, 06:37:32 pm
My recollection is that Bryant was on his way to accept the Arkansas job, when news of the war broke out.  So he turned the car around and enlisted in the military.

That is true.  This was afterwards when he was the coach of Kentucky.

S&W

Quote from: Tusker4life on December 12, 2017, 07:47:44 pm
You are probably right, Hogville would have been churning over Broyles. My dad til this day hates Broyles, Switzer, Hatfield, Ford,Nutt, BB and especially Jack Crowe. He liked Holtz but that was it as far as coaches at UA. He isn't much on JJ or BP either. So yea I think it woulda been crazy. I think he has a chip on his shoulder cause we didn't hire The Bear in 58.

My grandpa absolutely couldn't stand Frank. I'm not sure the entire reason but it was something to do with Frank, Sam Walton and the Delta Lodge in Dumas.  My grandpa died about 5 years ago, when Frank died I joked with my uncle that Papaw is finally happy now.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: The NewEra on December 12, 2017, 07:40:55 pm
Does this bring back memories?  They look to be enjoying themselves and I don't see one person checking their cell phones?   :D
A different time for sure.  Check out their clothes, not sure the last time I wore a tie to the game.  Great pic!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Hogs7672 on December 12, 2017, 03:39:21 pm
What if there had been social media in 1958?

Delta's post count would have exceeded the global population by 1971 and the term "carpet bagger" would have been trending worldwide since the Reagan administration onward.

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

The NewEra

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 12, 2017, 08:10:32 pm
A different time for sure.  Check out their clothes, not sure the last time I wore a tie to the game.  Great pic!

If you can zoom in you can see RC Cola too.  People on Hogville would burn the town down on that alone :D

JONAS

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 12, 2017, 08:10:32 pm

I've never worn a tie to a game.

Boardon Hamsay

I always liked the public service "cautionary reminder" on the scoreboard.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

rowdyhog

I guess this is how they tailgated in 1955

TheHAWGfather

(notOM)Rebel123

How far away is the press box from the field?

By the way, do I see Gary Crain from DPS on patrol? ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Bigfoot

LOL.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 12, 2017, 04:28:25 pm

Social media is da debil. I guess it's also the closest thing we've seen to democracy in modern history.

I said the same thing about fax machines and cell phones. I miss dictation, secretaries and outboxes. And telephone conversations.

This Board would have melted had Arkansas hired a guy with Broyles' record and experience last week.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Locutus_of_Boar

Actually what people saw and more importantly what John Barnhill saw was that Frank had 3 years SWC experience as assistant to Bob Woodruff at Baylor and later followed Woodruff to Florida before returning to Ga Tech as Bobby Dodd's OC from 1951-1956 including a national championship in 1952.  Broyles year at Mizzou included a famous game where is overmatched Tigers nearly pulled off the upset of the decade against OU in the 47th game of their famous winning streak.  The effort left OU spent and the next week the Sooners lost to Notre Dame.

So unlike Chad Morris JFB had plenty of experience at the highest levels of college football in that era.  Broyles first year at Arkansas was hurt mostly by the fact his offense was far to advanced for what Arkansas had been running.  When Frank simplified the offense his teams immediately began to win and kept doing do for most of the next decade including getting him a 2nd championship ring.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 13, 2017, 12:19:50 pm
Actually what people saw and more importantly what John Barnhill saw was that Frank had 3 years SWC experience as assistant to Bob Woodruff at Baylor and later followed Woodruff to Florida before returning to Ga Tech as Bobby Dodd's OC from 1951-1956 including a national championship in 1952.  Broyles year at Mizzou included a famous game where is overmatched Tigers nearly pulled off the upset of the decade against OU in the 47th game of their famous winning streak.  The effort left OU spent and the next week the Sooners lost to Notre Dame.

So unlike Chad Morris JFB had plenty of experience at the highest levels of college football in that era.  Broyles first year at Arkansas was hurt mostly by the fact his offense was far to advanced for what Arkansas had been running.  When Frank simplified the offense his teams immediately began to win and kept doing do for most of the next decade including getting him a 2nd championship ring.

The only thing wrong with this is that you are overlooking Morris's four years of experience and success as OC at Clemson. The ACC in the 2010's is at least equal to the SWC of the 1950's. 

Broyles had other things on his resume that made him attractive to Barnhill other than his natural charisma. He had been an All-American QB at Georgia Tech and came from the Robert Neyland/Bobby Dodd coaching tree. 

The OP's point was that Broyles was not a household name in 1958 and that his hire would have generated something similar to what we saw here when Morris was announced. Fortunately the BOT didn't make a decision based upon the Hogville consensus.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 13, 2017, 12:19:50 pm

Thank you.  I didnt know that about Frank's game with OU. 

Bash

Oh, but there was social media and message boards, it's just that most people didn't know about it.  Here are some early Hogvillians reading a thread about the Broyles hire.

The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Fan1958

So we have about 60 years left.  And I am serious.  Social media is by far the biggest blight on society in the history of the world.  The human animal has always been a vain creature but the advent of social media has allowed that vanity to be exploited to a dangerous level.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

dfwalumdad

well we had social media in 2013 and fat bert went 3-9 his first year and was the first coach since entering the SEC to fail to win a conference game then in year 2 lost his next 5 conference games and we didn't fire him now did we?

what's your point are you trying to say we didn't give bert enough time?

TexasTransplant

Quote from: redeye on December 12, 2017, 04:35:26 pm
We probably would have run off Broyles and Arkansas would be like Kansas today.

Interesting comment because Broyles predecessor, Jack Mitchell, had left for Kansas.

Birminghog

I was, but I was probably trying to figure out how to run around without falling down. Wasn't Razorback aware at that point.

Arkamedes

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that was the 1955 version of a Loge Box. It only took 63 years for us to come full circle...   GoHogs!
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

jvanhorn

well the good news is that we would probably still have a better football program than Kansas, but I seriously doubt we would be in the SEC.

The NewEra

Quote from: Arkamedes on December 16, 2017, 02:36:30 am
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that was the 1955 version of a Loge Box. It only took 63 years for us to come full circle...   GoHogs!

Great analogy. 

East Clintwood

I don't believe they're enjoying themselves.  Dude's got a coat and tie on.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma