Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB places blame on Petrino, JLS

Started by twistitup, October 19, 2017, 08:26:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

October 19, 2017, 12:52:34 pm #150 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:07:37 pm by twistitup
Is cbb actually atl?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 19, 2017, 08:31:14 am
If anything, Petrino's defensive recruits actually performed better than any of Bert's.
This.  Also, CBB recruited better in his first two cycles than since.  Truth is he lost his best assistants and has failed to replace them.   He thinks he's a CEO type coach but doesn't have the assistants to win.  Boils down to overall sub-par job performance.  He's in over his head.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteIt's Jimmies and Joes.

An inability to link our lack of success on the field with the major deficiencies of this head coach can only be due to a lack of trying.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 12:43:25 pm
Why?
They contributed to the early situation.

+1000

The contribution turned out to be positive.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 12:25:29 pm
The problem is NOT Arkansas, it's player recruiting, retention, and development

Same w CBB coaching staff - it's coach recruiting, retention, and them being able to development athletes.

CBB came in here with a good staff and couldn't retain that staff.....both Pittman and Ch have moved on to a more successful program (Georgia) and left us here to wallow in our own mistakes.

CBB has not been able to have consistency on the coaching staff and this has led to a lack of identity and eventually his dismissal. When you can't recruit and retain quality coaches or players- the end is near.

If he stays and we fire coaches - IT WON'T HELP because CBB will not be able to find quality replacements.

-Partridge left for a HC gig
-Ash left for a nat champ contender and eventual winner
-Pittman left cause he knew GA was a better gig
-Enos would have done the same thing had -CBB not had that SEC clause
-Chaney was probably run off, he didnt go to GA from AR but from Pitt so prob not a fair comparison
-Robb Smith was probably a good hire and had a good defense initally but the mob required a fall guy when they fell off
-Ive never heard someone speak a negative word about PR, player or coach

I think other than HV, the opinion on Ark being a top gig is a false narrative.  So if we have any success, expect those higher in the food chain to come after our coaches (just like we will do if CBB is not retained).

jkstock04

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2017, 12:43:02 pm
I think at this point the only thing that could save him is winning out. It's possible, but I doubt it.
You have more faith in our administration than I do. I'm convinced most of them don't really care.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 12:39:47 pm
The question wasn't specifically about our current situation in season 5.

I re-read just to make certain. . . .no where did I mention season 5.  I did reference the "5 year mess" BB is responsible for.  For me, at least, that would encompass a 5 year period, which covers BB's tenure at Arkansas.

hogcard1964

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2017, 12:56:37 pm
You have more faith in our administration than I do. I'm convinced most of them don't really care.

Money matters. You'll see a difference in the attendance this week.

However, there'll be a faction that will claim the attendance will be impressive regardless.   TCU gate numbers revisited.

smb

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 19, 2017, 11:22:36 am
Not so fast my friend!  I'm pretty sure Miss St got up to #2 with 3* recruits in Dak's final season there.  Not a single 5* on the team and very few 4* recruits.
But Miss St. had Dak.
GeorgiaHOG

jkstock04

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2017, 01:02:18 pm
Money matters. You'll see a difference in the attendance this week.

However, there'll be a faction that will claim the attendance will be impressive regardless.   TCU gate numbers revisited.
Seriously 60k showed up to watch New Mexico State at 11am. Unbelievable but I can attest to it.

I think we see 70k plus for a night game against Auburn.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogcard1964

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2017, 01:08:21 pm
Seriously 60k showed up to watch New Mexico State at 11am. Unbelievable but I can attest to it.

I think we see 70k plus for a night game against Auburn.

I doubt it, but ok. 

Hey if not, "deer season".

Albert Swinestein

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 19, 2017, 11:22:36 am
Not so fast my friend!  I'm pretty sure Miss St got up to #2 with 3* recruits in Dak's final season there.  Not a single 5* on the team and very few 4* recruits.

Actually...

* it was Dak's next to last season, not his final season as you stated
* they got up to #1 and were also ranked #3, #4, #7, #8, #10, #11, #12, #14, #16 and unranked during the year on the three major polls, but never #2 as you stated
* they had 1 5* vs the 0 as you stated
* they had 14 4* (although many were beat out for starting positions by 3*)

Other than that, you're periods were properly placed in your sentences though.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: LRHawg on October 19, 2017, 09:19:36 am
This. The cupboard was not bare when he got here. He's just a mediocre coach out of his league.

This.

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 12:44:15 pm
Wrong.  The offense works anywhere with the right players.  At the moment Arkansas lacks the players, starting with the o-line, but none of the pieces are there this year.  No one anticipated the problems with the o-line.  In the recruiting service era, can you remember more four-star players in the o-line depth chart?  If so, I'd like to know when. 

How do you plan for losing a player like Rawleigh Williams?  Hogville never appreciated him - probably because he was a 3-star early commit to Mississippi who switched early to Arkansas.  With the numbers he posted in high school he would have been a 5-star had he chosen Alabama or A&M. 

What do you do when your only experienced receiver rips his Achilles?  KJ Hill is the leading receiver now for Ohio State.  Arkansas offered him.  He'd make a huge difference right now.

What do you do when your 5th year senior QB can't throw because of an injury?  The offense worked last year when he was surrounded by the right personnel.  It worked in 2015.  Same reason. 

Having said this, I posted above that the game has changed.  Championship offensive football is now an RPO spread.  It is still run and play action based.  It is not Mike Leach's offense.  Hogville thinks "spread" = pass.  Simply not true. 

It's Jimmies and Joes.  Right now if you have the best players the favored offense at the top is the RPO spread, but that's still power football.

No I'm correct. Arkansas will never out Power teams like Bama, they have to out finesse Bama to have a shot at beating them. That's why Bret's Big 10 offense won't work in the SEC and it's why Nick Saban changed his offense shortly after he arrived at LSU from Michigan State.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on October 19, 2017, 01:17:35 pm
No I'm correct. Arkansas will never out Power teams like Bama, they have to out finesse Bama to have a shot at beating them. That's why Bret's Big 10 offense won't work in the SEC and it's why Nick Saban changed his offense shortly after he arrived at LSU from Michigan State.

Not true on Saban offense.  He changed after MCElwain. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

tbhogfan

I think it's rich to blame John L, who despite pretty well having the interim label all year, went 4-8 2-6, and was a few points away from going 6-6. 

Unless there is a MAJOR turnaround, this coach will be lucky to beat that in year 5 having recruited his entire team.

If an interim coach can go 4-8, I would fully expect a $4M/year coach in his fifth year to beat that pretty soundly.
Go Hogs!

GuvHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 01:20:47 pm
Not true on Saban offense.  He changed after MCElwain. 

He made some changes to his offensive philosophy at LSU but didn't go completely no huddle until recently. The point is he realized the Big 10 offense wouldn't work in the SEC and changed it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hoglady

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 19, 2017, 11:14:47 am
How did those situations make it harder to recruit? Bielema arrived as a big name in coaching and a successful record with 3 Rose Bowls. That should have turned recruits eyes toward Arkansas, not away. In fact, his first class recruited with less than two months to pull it together was the best class he's signed. How did BP or Smith affected any succeeding class? It didn't. Bielema and his staff and losing games he should have won are what affected successive classes, then losing the staff's best recruiters.

Lots of good points in this.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PonderinHog

Hey, we had plenty of quarterbacks!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2017, 09:08:39 am
Absolutely it was an excuse. Because of Bobby Petrino is why we suck this year. That's pretty much what he is saying.

What's interesting is one could make the argument that the more the Petrino recruits got recycled with his recruits the program continued its downward slide.

Razorback football is pretty neat these days. Gonna be a fun Saturday to watch Auburn smoke us into oblivion. Too bad Bielema doesn't have a 2007 version of Indiana to coach against and run the ball 100 times and pretend he's a football mastermind.

You're just reading what you WANT to read. The DRAMA of the Petrino/jls situation absolutely made this a tougher rebuild. Its not an excuse. He flat out says it made it tougher than he thought. Hell half the fans were/are still mad about the Petrino firing and were NEVER going to give bielema a chance anyway. That makes it harder. The guy is being honest and admitting its a harder job than he thought. He's not getting it done so he needs to leave, but that article isn't what ya'll want it to be.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

AlmaHog2011

What a bunch of BS. Bielema is responsible for this mess we are in! This is his team and his recruits and what Petrino did has zero to do with this mess BB has us in!

twistitup

twistitup

He should have thrown Nutt's name out there too

I mean, while you are playing the blame game- why not?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 19, 2017, 11:14:47 am
How did those situations make it harder to recruit? Bielema arrived as a big name in coaching and a successful record with 3 Rose Bowls. That should have turned recruits eyes toward Arkansas, not away. In fact, his first class recruited with less than two months to pull it together was the best class he's signed. How did BP or Smith affected any succeeding class? It didn't. Bielema and his staff and losing games he should have won are what affected successive classes, then losing the staff's best recruiters.
Bingo! Of course you've hit it right on the head. Sorry, but after (almost)five years and things haven't really improved, in fact are slipping, I believe any honest person would have to give a very serious and unfiltered self-examination. We can ALL blame everything that happens to us of someone/something else. While that may the case in some instances, I've never found it to be out of our control over and over, every single time.

Bret, it's long past time for you to "call a spade a spade" even if you don't want to do so publicly. Unfortunately based on what you DO state I seriously doubt you've reached that point as yet.

hoglady

Man, I wish Beliema would just own up to the current state of Arkansas football.
He is responsible for the current product on the field.
Bringing up Petrino and JLS serves no useful purpose / especially since he put a better product on the field with Petrino's recruits, than he has with his own.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on October 19, 2017, 02:59:12 pm
Man, I wish Beliema would just own up to the current state of Arkansas football.
He is responsible for the current product on the field.
Bringing up Petrino and JLS serves no useful purpose / especially since he put a better product on the field with Petrino's recruits, than he has with his own.

He wasn't asked specifically about the current state or product. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Saying the same thing our ad said earlier in the year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogcard1964

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 03:04:13 pm

Yes he was.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2017, 03:07:54 pm
Yes he was.

Not in that question. It was a reflection of the last almost 5 years going back to Dec 2012.

hogcard1964

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2017, 03:14:45 pm
Re read it.

Has the rebuild been tougher than you thought?

He didn't start the rebuild this season so he wouldn't be answering for just this season evidenced by what he said.  He isn't answering the question many of you hoped had been asked instead. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 12:33:52 pm

Yeah garbage.....look at Georgia - you think the reason he was considered garbage here was because of CBB? I don't know the reason why it didn't work - but to call him garbage is laughable - Georgia is kicking arse and taking names.

We only wish we had what Georgia has - don't give me this recruiting b.s -----the common denominator is CBB - it hilarious when we trash ex coaches, especially when they go on to be successful.

Sending them packing has worked out wonderfully - can't you tell?

Enos and Anderson - now that's an improvement. Speaking of hot trash...

Enos is indeed an improvement over Chaney. That's why Smart wanted Enos before he hired Chaney.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 03:17:17 pm
Has the rebuild been tougher than you thought?

He didn't start the rebuild this season so he wouldn't be answering for just this season evidenced by what he said.  He isn't answering the question many of you hoped had been asked instead.

So this mess has been "rebuilt"?

...and the tense matters.

"has" as opposed to "was".

Athog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 19, 2017, 08:32:37 am
I gotta believe Penn State might have been a tougher turn around than Arkansas.

I see you are not familiar with Penn State support.

Atlhogfan1

hogcard1964

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 03:23:08 pm
NO. Who said it was?

Has is the present.

Was is the past.

"Has the rebuild..."

jkstock04

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 19, 2017, 01:52:44 pm
You're just reading what you WANT to read. The DRAMA of the Petrino/jls situation absolutely made this a tougher rebuild. Its not an excuse. He flat out says it made it tougher than he thought. Hell half the fans were/are still mad about the Petrino firing and were NEVER going to give bielema a chance anyway. That makes it harder. The guy is being honest and admitting its a harder job than he thought. He's not getting it done so he needs to leave, but that article isn't what ya'll want it to be.
A different coach could've came in here and done a hell of a lot better than Bielema. Then we wouldn't hear these lame excuses.

I 100% believe that. Bielemas not just an unlucky guy because of "Petrinos drama" and because Nutt and Petrino had (supposedly) better in state recruiting.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2017, 03:24:44 pm
Has is the present.

Was is the past.

"Has the rebuild..."

Yes. It is very much ongoing at best.  Maybe regressing.  But it has been for almost 5 years. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2017, 03:25:04 pm
A different coach could've came in here and done a hell of a lot better than Bielema. Then we wouldn't hear these lame excuses.

I 100% believe that. Bielemas not just an unlucky guy because of "Petrinos drama" and because Nutt and Petrino had (supposedly) better in state recruiting.

Sure. Many would have done worse.  He isn't doing good enough.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 03:27:46 pm
Yes. It is very much ongoing at best.  Maybe regressing.  But it has been for almost 5 years.

Then it is about the current state of the program, correct?

Danny J

Quote from: GuvHog on October 19, 2017, 11:15:51 am
That's exactly what he said. They even talked on DTS about him making that statement.
Yep and the fact some believe, they actually believe this lol, that it was BIELEMA that finally stepped in & decided to rearrange the line, go to a more uptempo offense and all the sudden blitzed what seemed like half the time with tight coverage? Yeah...that was CBB that decided to step in.../s

I would give 10 to 1 odds that we revert back to a base D rushing only 3 most of the time and sometimes 4, playing 8 yards off receivers and back to our huddle up under center play action game. I think if AA was practicing all week and 100% he would start also. We have seen this same pattern consistently over the course of 5 years with with 2 different OC's and 3 different DC's. It's NOT the coordinators. It's the guy standing on the sidelines with a bewildered look on his face wearing a headset.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 12:35:50 pm
Chaney was trashed while here by all but a few.

Keep working. 

But was Bert's interference in Chaney's job the cause of him being trashed.

For whatever reason, Bert has a real problem retaining assistants, dating back to his Wisconsin days, and the problem has become so well known in the coaching community that he now has major problems hiring quality assistants.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2017, 03:29:52 pm
Then it is about the current state of the program, correct?

No.  It is about the rebuild which started almost 5 years ago.

He wasn't asked specifically "why are you struggling so much in season 5?" to which his response included Petrino and Smith. 

Tusks

BB is turning out to take the hootie 2.0 label all the way to the end, minus any sort of winning.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogcard1964

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 03:33:10 pm
No.  It is about the rebuild which started almost 5 years ago.

He wasn't asked specifically "why are you struggling so much in season 5?" to which his response included Petrino and Smith.

You just said it was ongoing.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 19, 2017, 03:31:52 pm
But was Bert's interference in Chaney's job the cause of him being trashed.

For whatever reason, Bert has a real problem retaining assistants, dating back to his Wisconsin days, and the problem has become so well known in the coaching community that he now has major problems hiring quality assistants.

Ask those who trashed Chaney.  Posters like Bebop and Red.  I didn't.  I believed he took a bad job at a bad time as OC and had little to work with early on.  Certainly not the loaded offense he has at UGa. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Danny J on October 19, 2017, 03:30:46 pm
Yep and the fact some believe, they actually believe this lol, that it was BIELEMA that finally stepped in & decided to rearrange the line, go to a more uptempo offense and all the sudden blitzed what seemed like half the time with tight coverage? Yeah...that was CBB that decided to step in.../s

I would give 10 to 1 odds that we revert back to a base D rushing only 3 most of the time and sometimes 4, playing 8 yards off receivers and back to our huddle up under center play action game. I think if AA was practicing all week and 100% he would start also. We have seen this same pattern consistently over the course of 5 years with with 2 different OC's and 3 different DC's. It's NOT the coordinators. It's the guy standing on the sidelines with a bewildered look on his face wearing a headset.

No one has made the claims you're arguing against.

The Hawg Marshal

Petrino, Smiley and Nutt haven't been here in years. Any good coach with 5 years to work should have had this program in better shape than it is. That excuse may have held some weight after year two or maybe even three , but it should be much better at year  five.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2017, 03:36:17 pm
You just said it was ongoing.

It is.  Started 5 years ago.  Never said anything about finished. 

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 03:04:13 pm

Well - he was asked about a rebuild.
How in the heck are we rebuilding?
Rebuilding insinuates you are getting better - this is the worst team of the Bielema era.
We aren't rebuilding - we are going backwards.