Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Left guard cover ups???

Started by snoop hawgy hawg, October 18, 2017, 11:02:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

snoop hawgy hawg

Everyone who watches #51 closely says he gets beat alot, but the coaches say he grades out as our second best o-linemen. We all know there is no universal grade system for o-linemen, every coach has their own...is it possible CBB is fudging the "grades" to cover up the fact that he may have made a huge mistake in moving #51???

Thoughts???

theFlyingHog

All I know for sure is that this staff needs to go. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new coach come in and win ten games with this team.

PorkRinds

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on October 18, 2017, 11:02:47 am
Everyone who watches #51 closely says he gets beat alot, but the coaches say he grades out as our second best o-linemen. We all know there is no universal grade system for o-linemen, every coach has their own...is it possible CBB is fudging the "grades" to cover up the fact that he may have made a huge mistake in moving #51???

Thoughts???

College football websites are also grading him as one of the top guards in the sec. Are they part of the cover up?

The_Iceman

I've seen #74 get beat a ton, but not #51 THIS YEAR.

JaketheSnake

I think, as fans, we watch him closely since he was such a liability last year.  IMO When he messes up, he messes up bad.  He probably does a good job, except when he doesn't?

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 18, 2017, 11:18:20 am

Weakest link, IMO.

forrest city joe

Thoughts???
I will post this,then i will leave it alone.your eyes have not been lying to you the last two years no matter what these coaches say. i will leave it at that.

onebadrubi

He either got beat or missed multiple assignments in both USC and Bama games. 

Vantage 8 dude

As if we don't have enough problems, issues, concerns and now we have a new conspiracy issue to deal with ??? ::) Well if you haven't already had a bellyful then by all means have at it.

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 18, 2017, 11:17:53 am
College football websites are also grading him as one of the top guards in the sec. Are they part of the cover up?

And NFL guys are giving him good grades too. I am sure they are part of it too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 18, 2017, 12:30:52 pm
As if we don't have enough problems, issues, concerns and now we have a new conspiracy issue to deal with ??? ::) Well if you haven't already had a bellyful then by all means have at it.

Making stuff up is a lot easier than and more fun than talking about real stuff. Plus the player in question is not good old southern boy.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PygmalionEffect2

#51 has not been the biggest problem with the o-line leading up to the bama game.  He had been much improved vs last season through five games.

He may have had a bad game against bama, there was noticeably more penetration towards the center of the line in the bama game in real time, whereas most of the breakdowns in the first five games came from the tackles and TEs on the edges, except when Clary was in there, as he was getting dominated in the a&m game.

I haven't had the time or inclination to watch the bama game line play in slow-mo replay, but I've watched replays of a&m and most of tcu, and #51 wasn't the problem in those games, despite what FCJ says.

I think the entire line had problems with bama.  If I could talk myself into watching the replay, it would be mainly to see if Ragnow had a good game against that talent playing out of position.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Everyone who watches #51 ...
What's with using the jersey number?  Are people having a problem spelling Hjalte, or is the problem with the spelling of Froholdt?

-phil

hogsanity

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on October 18, 2017, 12:40:26 pm

, there was noticeably more penetration towards the center of the line in the bama game in real time,

The problems in the middle could have been caused by moving Ragnow to RG, or it could be that they had problems with the Bama DL like everyone has problems with it.

despite what FCJ says.

If FCJ says something you can safely assume the exact opposite is true.

hogsanity

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on October 18, 2017, 12:46:01 pm
What's with using the jersey number?  Are people having a problem spelling Hjalte, or is the problem with the spelling of Froholdt?

-phil

most of them can not spell cat if you spot them the C and the A so..........................

NavarreHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 12:33:38 pm
And NFL guys are giving him good grades too. I am sure they are part of it too.

Maybe the NFL guys see with the proper coaching he could be very good.

hogsanity

Quote from: NavarreHog on October 18, 2017, 12:53:40 pm
Maybe the NFL guys see with the proper coaching he could be very good.

2 weeks ago he was graded out not far behind ragnow and was one of the top 8 guards in the sec according to the nfl, so they are grading him on his on field performance.

NavarreHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 12:54:53 pm
2 weeks ago he was graded out not far behind ragnow and was one of the top 8 guards in the sec according to the nfl, so they are grading him on his on field performance.

Then KA should be the OL coach of the year.

Ex-Trumpet

Usually it Right Guard that's used for cover-up.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

IronHog

You mean the same NFL that drafted stiff shoulder Gabbert #10?  I called that bust early.

NFL is willing to draft on potential.....Froholt has an NFL body but far less experience or skill than a starter on a SEC line should have at this point.

Fact is he was gifted a starting spot.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Thoughts???

Thoughts?

They have one OL that can really maul people and he's a walk on from Dumas.....

So much for OL U.

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on October 18, 2017, 12:58:13 pm

You mean the same NFL that drafted stiff shoulder Gabbert #10?  I called that bust early.

NFL is willing to draft on potential.....Froholt has an NFL body but far less experience or skill than a starter on a SEC line should have at this point.

Don't know if the same guys were rating Gafford as are watching Froholdt or not. Teams make mistakes all the time, I am just telling you what they have said about him.

Cracks me up though that he is now the problem everyone has latched on to.

zane

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 18, 2017, 11:17:53 am

Yes

Because ESPN hates us

or some other darn
RIP LSUfan

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 01:00:17 pm
Don't know if the same guys were rating Gafford as are watching Froholdt or not. Teams make mistakes all the time, I am just telling you what they have said about him.

Cracks me up though that he is now the problem everyone has latched on to.

Clear example of BB playing "his guy"

If he'd been on scout team last year and was working in now it would be a non topic

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 12:35:29 pm
Making stuff up is a lot easier than and more fun than talking about real stuff. Plus the player in question is not good old southern boy.

Southern Denmark.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on October 18, 2017, 01:01:47 pm

Clear example of BB playing "his guy"

If he'd been on scout team last year and was working in now it would be a non topic

So he should not be playing a guy that hfl scouts are rating one of the top guards in the sec?

Lets see, the tackles get beaten often, the te's are not great at blocking either. The other team puts 8 in the box and the wrs's still cant get open, we get almost nothing out of the run game, the defense is often out of position and is a step slow at key positions, but none of that matters today. Today everyone has figured out that it is all Froholdts fault.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 01:05:24 pm
So he should not be playing a guy that hfl scouts are rating one of the top guards in the sec?

Lets see, the tackles get beaten often, the te's are not great at blocking either. The other team puts 8 in the box and the wrs's still cant get open, we get almost nothing out of the run game, the defense is often out of position and is a step slow at key positions, but none of that matters today. Today everyone has figured out that it is all Froholdts fault.

NFL "rating" is irrelevant

Still struggles with stunts and such.  Started over Gibson last year who is a far superior linemen.

People are on to BB

Vantage 8 dude

Yeah, amazing how that works. In reviewing the various games it seems that almost all the OL has had its share of problems. However, we're to latch on to ONE position, one player to blame. And here I was expecting that the other positions on the line were actually supposed to do their jobs effectively as well.....silly me. What the heck was I thinking ??? ::) :puke:

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on October 18, 2017, 01:08:09 pm

Still struggles with stunts and such.  Started over Gibson last year who is a far superior linemen.

People are on to BB

And  people are onto all the conspiracy theorists too. Everything with you guys has to be a coach with some ulterior motive. When, the reality is the team as a whole just is not very good and does not have near the overall talent that Bama, Aub, and others have. I am not saying BB is or is not good, could not care less if he is fired 2 seconds from now or stays 10 more years. But if anyone truly thinks Froholdt is the problem with the OL they are either stupid, brain damaged or a troll. 

Pork Ranger

Quote from: IronHog on October 18, 2017, 01:08:09 pm

People are on to BB

IMO, he's the king of doing less with more. I really don't believe we are as bad as he says we are. Just a product of a mismanaged roster, staff and playbook.

We don't play to the strengths of our players at all

PorkRinds

Quote from: IronHog on October 18, 2017, 12:58:13 pm

That's an opinion not a fact.

Pork Ranger

And I'll add I understand we don't recruit at the same level. But guess what? We never have and have had a lot more to show for it

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 12:47:21 pm
most of them can not spell cat if you spot them the C and the A so..........................

So Terry Bradshaw posts on HV?  Nice.

hogsanity

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on October 18, 2017, 01:18:20 pm
So Terry Bradshaw posts on HV?  Nice.

when he is not showing up on people's doorsteps talking about shingles.

RazorPiggie

#51 has not been the biggest problem with the o-line leading up to the bama game.  He had been much improved vs last season through five games.

He may have had a bad game against bama, there was noticeably more penetration towards the center of the line in the bama game in real time, whereas most of the breakdowns in the first five games came from the tackles and TEs on the edges, except when Clary was in there, as he was getting dominated in the a&m game.

I haven't had the time or inclination to watch the bama game line play in slow-mo replay, but I've watched replays of a&m and most of tcu, and #51 wasn't the problem in those games, despite what FCJ says.

I think the entire line had problems with bama.  If I could talk myself into watching the replay, it would be mainly to see if Ragnow had a good game against that talent playing out of position.

Bama was sending about 5 to 6 guys that entire first half.

cram224

You know it might not be all #51's fault. Against Bama's 3-4, we would check left to double team the right DT. The DT would fake an inside stunt then go outside which would cause our LT to look left and allow the LB to shoot the gap between the guard and center. It's hard to block with your head and body turned the wrong way. That's an adjustment that seems like is never made. The back is lined up to help the RT, who has single blocking on the left DT. He is slow or can't get over in time to block the LB blitz. My 2 cents.

azhog10

Not having Ragnow next to Froholdt clearly impacted him quite a bit. Not sure where the "grades" are coming from that other people cite. I would venture to bet they are getting the grades that our staff sends out. Don't feel confident that someone is watching every line all the time and grading them out. I would imagine they get the grades sent in from the coaches to the SEC or to someone.

So yes, I think there is a little fudging going on. We will see what NFL scouts think when it comes time to draft him.

factchecker

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on October 18, 2017, 12:46:01 pm

-phil

Our genius fans can't spell a four letter name - you can't expect them to spell Hjalte or Froholdt:

There is a reason that a portion of our fans hate hearing about GPA's and academic achievements...... it makes them feel inferior.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

snoop hawgy hawg

no....the majority of them look pretty bad, but at least everyone else had to earn playing time...if CBB brings in a 4* O-linemen and he plays bad...it makes CBB look bad, but if he takes a 4*  D-tackle and moves him to o-line, refuses to take him out no matter how many sacks he gives up and assignments he misses...it makes him look incompetent...and that's way worst then bad.

ShadowHawg

Hogsanity needs to take up Stoenor in a debate given he is who brought attention to this.

gchamblee

Quote from: factchecker on October 18, 2017, 02:12:27 pm
Our genius fans can't spell a four letter name - you can't expect them to spell Hjalte or Froholdt:

There is a reason that a portion of our fans hate hearing about GPA's and academic achievements...... it makes them feel inferior.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 01:12:58 pm
And  people are onto all the conspiracy theorists too. Everything with you guys has to be a coach with some ulterior motive. When, the reality is the team as a whole just is not very good and does not have near the overall talent that Bama, Aub, and others have. I am not saying BB is or is not good, could not care less if he is fired 2 seconds from now or stays 10 more years. But if anyone truly thinks Froholdt is the problem with the OL they are either stupid, brain damaged or a troll. 

Arkansas has played one game this year where "talent" was the issue.

The other games were lost because this staff does stuff like gifting spots to kids that have 1 year experience as an offensive lineman.....

ErieHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 18, 2017, 11:25:38 am
He either got beat or missed multiple assignments in both USC and Bama games. 

There is a terrible tendency in fans to assign blame.

You see a guy come through a gap that is normally occupied by player X.  Player X must be garbage.     On that play, though, X is instructed to vacate the hole and kick out and double on a guy,  or everyone's supposed to down-block on the play.    X is not at fault.  X does their job, but X gets blamed because the other guy doesn't do his.

That's a ton of the problem with how much we end up blaming player X for their performance shortcomings, which aren't going to register as a shortcoming with graders.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

JaketheSnake

Quote from: ErieHog on October 18, 2017, 06:56:12 pm

You see a guy come through a gap that is normally occupied by player X.  Player X must be garbage.     On that play, though, X is instructed to vacate the hole and kick out and double on a guy,  or everyone's supposed to down-block on the play.    X is not at fault.  X does their job, but X gets blamed because the other guy doesn't do his.

That's a ton of the problem with how much we end up blaming player X for their performance shortcomings, which aren't going to register as a shortcoming with graders.
If it appears he should not be blocking him, then it's easier to skip blame.  When he steps down toward the center then chases the 3 technique into the backfield, that seems like That was probably his responsibility from the start.

HogsonHicks

How would anyone really know what the "NFL" thinks?  These sites are all for-profit reviews and don't represent NFL teams or scouts, any more than some ESPN talking heads.

Regardless of the argument over Froholdt, the line play has been atrocious this year, and you can't blame fans for pointing fingers.

LAGNAF

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ErieHog on October 18, 2017, 06:56:12 pm

^^^^^

Yep. If you don't know the assignments on any given play by player it is impossible for anyone to evaluate the performance of an individual or group of players. Lord knows that doesn't seem to keep anyone on Hogville from pronouncing judgement on a players execution of their responsibilities and labeling it as, "fact".
Go Hogs Go!

bville_hog

How do they grade you when you double-team with your neighbor because since no one is lined up directly in front of you, you can't figure out who else to block?

ChicoHog

Quote from: IronHog on October 18, 2017, 06:21:20 pm

Arkansas has played one game this year where "talent" was the issue.

The other games were lost because this staff does stuff like gifting spots to kids that have 1 year experience as an offensive lineman.....
So TCU, a team that is undefeated and beat a good Ok st team and pretty good WVU team is less talented than Arkansas?  Find that hard to believe.  A&M who is 5-2 and has recruited very well the last few years and beat UF (admittedly not real good) beat us and played Bama pretty tough is less talented?  I guarantee you if every coach in the SEC rated the talents on the teams that A&M would be ahead of us. We would be above only Mizzou, Vandy and maybe Miss st and UK.  Now I am still on the "Fire Bielema" bus.  But there is no way we have more talent than even half of the teams in the SEC.  Hire Brent Venables and he will improve the talent quickly. 

aloha_kid

Same here.  51 is much improved from last year.