Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parkview signee

Started by HognotinMemphis, November 10, 2017, 10:35:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

I am totally ignorant re college basketball. Have not watched it for years. However, I read in yesterday's paper the article about the hs players who just signed scholarships. One of them from LR Parkview is a kid who averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds a game last season as a junior. Says he is 6'9". He had offers from other good programs.

My question is what does this player bring to the table that does not show up in the stats? For a Div 1 player at his height to average only 6 points and 4 rebounds does not, on its face, seem exceptional. Was/is Parkview a top team with several other top Div 1 recruits on it that limited his playing time? Thanks.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Pinto

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 10, 2017, 10:35:08 am
I am totally ignorant re college basketball. Have not watched it for years. However, I read in yesterday's paper the article about the hs players who just signed scholarships. One of them from LR Parkview is a kid who averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds a game last season as a junior. Says he is 6'9". He had offers from other good programs.

My question is what does this player bring to the table that does not show up in the stats? For a Div 1 player at his height to average only 6 points and 4 rebounds does not, on its face, seem exceptional. Was/is Parkview a top team with several other top Div 1 recruits on it that limited his playing time? Thanks.

Elite athleticism and crazy untapped potential.

JayHog

It was a head scratcher. But last year he didn't get much playing time for Parkview, although he was regarded around the AAU summer leagues as the best player in Arkansas (by the ranking services).

I watched the High School State Championship game on tv and hardly saw him in the game.
But Franklin for Parkview (who had to go to a Juco) was all over the floor... offensively and defensively... his name kept getting called left and right throughout that game! So maybe that had a lot to do with it because Franklin was a senior. But still, I would've found a way to get a baller like Henderson on the floor with Franklin at the same time!

They also had Garland on that team, and I'm sure he also put up his fair share of shots. There's only so many shots that can go around.

I've watched him play high school ball, and at times you forget he's on the court. He just disappears, or gets into very quick foul group. Franklin was much better.

With that said, he's very athletic and maybe we can tap into that potential.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: JayHog on November 10, 2017, 10:44:29 am
It was a head scratcher. But last year he didn't get much playing time for Parkview, although he was regarded around the AAU summer leagues as the best player in Arkansas (by the ranking services).

I watched the High School State Championship game on tv and hardly saw him in the game.
But Franklin for Parkview (who had to go to a Juco) was all over the floor... offensively and defensively... his name kept getting called left and right throughout that game! So maybe that had a lot to do with it because Franklin was a senior. But still, I would've found a way to get a baller like Henderson on the floor with Franklin at the same time!

They also had Garland on that team, and I'm sure he also put up his fair share of shots. There's only so many shots that can go around.

Moses Moody was on that team too.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Definitely a head-scratching situation, but I put more stock into how he plays against highly-rated talent on the summer AAU circuit and he did very well there. Hopefully the staff can find a way to squeeze Franklin for the 2019 class, but the numbers are super tight. So much Arkansas talent these days!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 10, 2017, 11:16:11 am
Definitely a head-scratching situation, but I put more stock into how he plays against highly-rated talent on the summer AAU circuit and he did very well there. Hopefully the staff can find a way to squeeze Franklin for the 2019 class, but the numbers are super tight. So much Arkansas talent these days!

Is it possible for Franklin to transfer in after 1 year of JUCO ball?
Hogs up! Covid down!

navyhog24

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 10, 2017, 12:08:06 pm
Is it possible for Franklin to transfer in after 1 year of JUCO ball?

No, the only way a player could have done it is if he would have been eligible in the first place and just wanted better offers.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 10, 2017, 12:14:18 pm
No, the only way a player could have done it is if he would have been eligible in the first place and just wanted better offers.

Ok, thanks.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 10, 2017, 12:14:18 pm

Once you go Juco you have to get your associates to be eligible for the NCAA regardless of your eligibility status out of high school.

If the same kid goes the prep route they only have to wait a year.

I have always wondered why basketball players don't redshirt at the juco level and then come to a Div 1 school with 3 years eligibility instead of two. You see this with football jucos though.

drester77

It's also the system they run at Parkview.... I've watched this kid play over the years and he played with my son at Dunbar middle. Pair him with a point who can get into the lanes and pass, he will be unstoppable... Think willie caluey stain but a lilttle shorter...

Letsroll1200

It's his elite athleticism. Hasn't proven that he can play basketball consistently at a high level. I doubt he plays much as a freshman. However, the kid can jump out the gym.

bigred223

Quote from: drester77 on November 10, 2017, 01:22:45 pm
It's also the system they run at Parkview.... I've watched this kid play over the years and he played with my son at Dunbar middle. Pair him with a point who can get into the lanes and pass, he will be unstoppable... Think willie caluey stain but a lilttle shorter...

WCS is a great comparison.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 10, 2017, 12:37:40 pm
Once you go Juco you have to get your associates to be eligible for the NCAA regardless of your eligibility status out of high school.

If the same kid goes the prep route they only have to wait a year.

I have always wondered why basketball players don't redshirt at the juco level and then come to a Div 1 school with 3 years eligibility instead of two. You see this with football jucos though.

Don't think that's true. Jimmy Butler transferred to Marquette after just one season in JUCO. No redshirt.

daprospecta

Quote from: bigred223 on November 10, 2017, 02:03:32 pm
WCS is a great comparison.
I want to say he's more athletic than WCS at this point in their career but the style of play is similar.  The dunk he did in practice the other day had me drooling over his potential.

Pinto

WCS is like 4 inches taller than him. He's more like a Jarvis Varnado