Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pick your DC

Started by Pork Twain, December 08, 2017, 10:20:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

He said it was going to be a top DC, so...

Gene Chizik
10 (10.4%)
John Chavis
6 (6.3%)
Brent Venables
55 (57.3%)
Vance Bedford
0 (0%)
Bo Pelini
3 (3.1%)
Todd Graham
1 (1%)
Alex Grinch
5 (5.2%)
Pete Golden
2 (2.1%)
Marion Hobby
3 (3.1%)
Jim Leavitt
4 (4.2%)
Frito Pie
7 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Pork Twain

I think Cheesedick would be a great fit here and he knows Gus
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JIHawg

Pete Golden, his defense at San Antonio Texas in 2017 finished 2nd in total defense, second only to Bama, holding opponents to less than 300 yards per game.  He has Louisiana and Texas roots.

Porknoxville

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

HOGINTENNESSEE

Well, I don't think it's Venables. But yeah that's who I would pick.

I went with Chavis because we know he is available. Yeah his defenses at A&M weren't what he had at LSU. But they were good enough that if we had him at Arkansas we would have won a lot more games.

Plus a lot of the staff he could bring has Texas ties now

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Porknoxville on December 08, 2017, 10:25:20 pm
Bud baby!

Bud Foster will retire at Virginia Tech.  He's not going anywhere.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 08, 2017, 10:20:45 pm
you really should have Bud Foster on that list. he's the best besides Venables. Also, why no Coach Hobby?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

BILLYBOB

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

duckman

Chizik, purely on the Gus hate factor....

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

HogPharmer

Quote from: duckman on December 08, 2017, 11:50:08 pm
Chizik, purely on the Gus hate factor....

I agree with you. 1) because of the Gus hate factor, 2) (and most importantly) because every time I see your avatar, it makes my day better. You bring happiness to this board every time you post duckman.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

duckman

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 09, 2017, 12:00:29 am
I agree with you. 1) because of the Gus hate factor, 2) (and most importantly) because every time I see your avatar, it makes my day better. You bring happiness to this board every time you post duckman.

You're welcome...

James Tiberius Pork

Alex Grinch or Tony Gibson

HogPharmer

Quote from: duckman on December 09, 2017, 12:04:06 am
You're welcome...

Half the members of this board just saved this post. You're doing wonders for your karma duckman!
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HogFoo

ya know, i didnt even think about Chavis until you mentioned his name just now.  And being that Jimbo took over for aTm, Chavis is probably out of a job.   Man, he would be a great hire!  He was DC at Tenn when they won the title in 98'  he was DC at Lsu for how many years before moving to aTm.  He was an excellent recruiter at every job he has had.  He has ties to texas, louisianna, tenn, all over..   And he's a great coach.   Man, that would definitely be a HR hire if we could get him, and unless Jimbo keeps him on staff, he should be available. 

I remember when he and that DE coach of theirs at tenn, who came to coach at arkansas for like 1 year under petrino, and really was responsible for getting Philon to sign, can't think of his name.  i think his nickname was chief.  haha..  they were the ones who would poach us for the arkansas kids thatd go to Tenn back in the late 90s. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Pork Twain

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 08, 2017, 10:54:25 pm
you really should have Bud Foster on that list. he's the best besides Venables. Also, why no Coach Hobby?
Bud Foster has been at VT since 1999 and he is going to leave there for here why?

HogPharmer

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 09, 2017, 12:56:58 am
Bud Foster has been at VT since 1999 and he is going to leave there for here why?

Maybe he and Venables will both come here as co-DCs

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 09, 2017, 12:45:16 am
Half the members of this board just saved this post. You're doing wonders for your karma duckman!

Only half? I didn't know we had that many Aggies lurking this board.

Großer Kriegschwein

You're welcome...

Those of us that married well like showing them off ;)

Pork Twain

You're welcome...
Bought my ex a set of those.  Here's to hoping yours are worth it

Großer Kriegschwein

Not a DC but on the defensive side of the ball, thus far, John Scott Jr.(Defensive Line Coach) has yet to be released.

May very well be retained.

The entire S&C staff is gone, along with Brey Cook (he had 1 more year left as a GA had he been retained). That means Kiero will have to find a new job. I hate it fer him. Good dude, but may get picked up by CBP up at Louisville. Kiero was one of his favorite players.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 09, 2017, 01:09:15 am

Pics or it didn't happen!

#HogvilleAfterDark

duckman

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 09, 2017, 01:09:15 am

Who says I bought them?  LOL

HogPharmer

Quote from: duckman on December 09, 2017, 01:40:29 am
Who says I bought them?  LOL

If you didn't, someone did!

With all due respect...

duckman

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 09, 2017, 12:45:16 am

And the other half will smite and cuss me, works both ways...

HogPharmer

Quote from: duckman on December 09, 2017, 01:41:17 am
And the other half will smite and cuss me, works both ways...

Then they should be bant!

duckman

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 09, 2017, 01:41:08 am
If you didn't, someone did!

With all due respect...

True.... But I didn't.

(that's the way to do it...)

HogPharmer

Quote from: duckman on December 09, 2017, 01:42:23 am
True.... But I didn't.

(that's the way to do it...)

Good ROI on your part

#HVAFTERDARK

Pork Twain

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 09, 2017, 01:40:12 am
Pics or it didn’t happen!

#HogvilleAfterDark
Ex...Long gone and good riddance.

Großer Kriegschwein

night shift sucks

#hogvilleafterdark

HogPharmer

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 09, 2017, 02:04:28 am
Ex...Long gone and good riddance.

Gotta hate the women that are more fake than the chest you paid for!

HogPharmer

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 09, 2017, 02:09:06 am
night shift sucks

#hogvilleafterdark

That's when I do my best work!

#HVAFTERDARK

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 09, 2017, 02:12:36 am
That's when I do my best work!

#HVAFTERDARK

All the Yankees I work with just put in O' Brother Where Art Thou on the TV.

I wanna go stand outside in the 25 degree weather.

#HVAFTERDARK

FullTiltBoogie

Dave Aranda.  I'm surprised no one has said him already. Is he untouchable or is there something about him most don't like that I'm missing? His defenses have been pretty good or great everywhere he's been.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: FullTiltBoogie on December 09, 2017, 02:21:38 am
Dave Aranda.  I'm surprised no one has said him already. Is he untouchable or is there something about him most don't like that I'm missing? His defenses have been pretty good or great everywhere he's been.

He has an independent contract with the athletic department that is not tied to the contract of Orgeron or Miles.

They locked him down. He will only leave for a HC position.

I'd stay put too.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: FullTiltBoogie on December 09, 2017, 02:21:38 am

Why would he leave a defensive minded coach to join an offensive minded coach at a program with inferior recruiting and currently greater instability? Not like he won't land on his feet when Eaux gets canned in a couple of years.

FullTiltBoogie

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 09, 2017, 02:23:27 am
He has an independent contract with the athletic department that is not tied to the contract of Orgeron or Miles.

They locked him down. He will only leave for a HC position.

I'd stay put too.

Ok thanks. I didn't realize that. Guess I'd stay put too

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: FullTiltBoogie on December 09, 2017, 02:25:07 am
Ok thanks. I didn't realize that. Guess I'd stay put too

Neither did I. Interesting.

Großer Kriegschwein

That's why he survived the staff shake up after Miles was fired. They hired Orgeron, in part, to keep Aranda in place.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 09, 2017, 02:19:41 am

#HVAFTERDARK

What kind of work you do?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 09, 2017, 02:37:23 am
What kind of work you do?

Data Analyst for Department of the Army

Pork Twain

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 09, 2017, 02:19:41 am

#HVAFTERDARK
I am in Kabul, so it is usually dead on here when I am here, except at the beginning and end of my shift

Rzback

Venables and Chizik are the best match with Morris
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 09, 2017, 05:04:13 am
I am in Kabul, so it is usually dead on here when I am here, except at the beginning and end of my shift

Ugh.

Kabul is better than where I was, but still super dangerous if you don't have eyes in the back of your head.

#HVAFTERDARKINKABUL

Pork Twain

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 09, 2017, 06:01:37 am
Ugh.

Kabul is better than where I was, but still super dangerous if you don’t have eyes in the back of your head.

#HVAFTERDARKINKABUL
I'm at RSHQ, so it is pretty calm here.  Where are you conducting data analysis at?  Got a clearance, NGIC has a job for you...

The_Bionic_Pig

Cheeze will assemble the best recruiters to load that side of the ball.... besides having a stout Defense.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawginj

Jim Leavitt was up for the Oregon job with Cristobal may stay with him may go with Taggart.

GoHogzzGo

Marion Hobby, if you haven't google'd him you should. Co DC for Clemson National Chamionship. Part of Duke resurgence. Currently with Jacksonville during their best season in years. From Alabama, lots of southern ties. Coached at Ole Miss and Tennessee too.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawginj on December 09, 2017, 07:21:12 am
Jim Leavitt was up for the Oregon job with Cristobal may stay with him may go with Taggart.

Went with Taggert

MuskogeeHogFan

December 09, 2017, 09:07:03 am #49 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:22:33 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Pork Twain on December 08, 2017, 10:20:45 pm

Venables would obviously be a really good hire but I'd be shocked if he winds up here. Jim Leavitt would be a fiery and aggressive DC if we could talk him out of going to Florida State with Willie Taggart.

This is an important hire for Morris. If you look at what Morris did from the standpoint of offense in his 3rd year at Clemson compared to his 3rd year at SMU, there is the same dynamic, aggressive and productive offense in place at both schools. What was missing at SMU that he had to back him up at Clemson was a great defense. Even at SMU in the AAC, a great offense is certainly a big help, but if you don't have at least a good to great defense, you are going to have a hard time getting beyond 7 or 8 wins each year.

Now Morris said he was bringing in the "best DC in college football" and then said he had a list he was working from. The "best" is indicative of one guy, not a list of guys. I'll be happy if he just brings in "one of the best". Of course that term of "best" may be defined differently in his mind than it is in our minds, but whomever he gets is going to have to build a pretty doggone good defense if he intends to compete for the SEC West let alone winning the SECCG.
Go Hogs Go!