Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DWR Stadium Expansion

Started by longpig, February 02, 2017, 02:12:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 07:14:52 pm
Looks like some of these people just need the Rose Bowl......

I think it is in most Arkansans DNA to bitch about everything. And they are real good about spending other people's money. We're going to have a damn fine stadium this Fall. The only people who will see the ugliness of the West side will be those of us who prefer sitting on that side. On TV our stadium will look fabulous.

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 22, 2018, 07:25:31 pm
I think it is in most Arkansans DNA to bitch about everything. And they are real good about spending other people's money. We're going to have a damn fine stadium this Fall. The only people who will see the ugliness of the West side will be those of us who prefer sitting on that side. On TV our stadium will look fabulous.

I don't remember too many, if any, TV shots of the East side facade. I agree, the TV shots should look great.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 07:31:01 pm
I don't remember too many, if any, TV shots of the East side facade. I agree, the TV shots streaming video should look great.

C'mon man.  That's so ten years ago.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 07:31:01 pm
I don't remember too many, if any, TV shots of the East side facade.

Do you see many of the west side perma scaffolding ?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 08:36:58 pm
Do you see many of the west side perma scaffolding ?

Nope, they show the field, and inside of the stadium.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 08:50:37 pm
Nope, they show the field, and inside of the stadium.

and the gap, don't forget the gap

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 22, 2018, 07:25:31 pm

I think it's in Arkansans DNA to belittle Arkansans!

bythelake

Very proud of the gap.  Leadership understood the history.  Kudos.

opineonswine

Quote from: pignparadise on March 22, 2018, 05:49:37 pm
Florida State is the opposite. It is Beautiful outside but a metal box inside.

They have two nice buildings on that campus.  The stadium and the police station.  Rest is a dump.

Cotton

Quote from: opineonswine on March 23, 2018, 08:30:51 am
They have two nice buildings on that campus.  The stadium and the police station.  Rest is a dump.
But the co-eds  ;D ;D ;D
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 22, 2018, 05:32:15 pm
You're an architect. I'm sure you are well versed in stadium design. I'm just a guy who looks at DWRRS and scratches my head. There is zero symmetry to it.

The east-west lower sections are cracking concrete. The upper sections are painted metal which has been patched in several places because of rust. The east lower section is several rows taller than the west side. The west lower section near the middle has steel beams extending down to support a section of the press box that extends over that part of the lower west stands. Those beams block the view of fans sitting under the press box.

The west upper deck contains more seats but the east upper deck is taller. Plus the east upper deck is broken up by a walkway near the bottom. There is no walkway on the west upper deck.

The skyboxes/indoor club facade on the east and south sides is prefab concrete or drivet. The west skyboxes/press box is covered with metal siding.

The south endzone squares off with the field creating a more enclosed look. The north endzone project is curved with the seats farther back from the field. There is also a big gap on the northeast side of that project.

The east and west exterior is brick and prefab concrete. The west exterior is steel beams and metal siding. I'm not sure about the north exterior since it's not finished but it much of it will be a functioning building which looks different in the drawings.

Even the video boards are different. The north board is curved. The south board is flat.

To each his own and I'm sure some think it's great but to me the stadium looks like it was designed about a bunch of guys who couldn't agree on anything so they each did a part of it their own way.

Some people think that symmetry is somehow the answer to every building design.  A lot of college campuses have used a style of buildings with a strong symmetry. 

The University of Arkansas isn't one of them.  There are no architectural laws requiring symmetry on college campuses or anywhere else for that matter.  It is my philosophy that the project should find whatever shape it needs to find to best serve its use.

I would challenge everyone to look at the built environment and look at how much symmetry actually exists out there.  There are many, many examples of it being used, but asymmetry outnumbers symmetry, and it's not even close.  Even if it was set out to make DWRRS exactly symmetrical it would be impossible given the fact that the site it sits on isn't perfectly flat.  We are different in that regard and I don't think that's a bad thing.

With a little bit of examination there is quite a lot of symmetry going on at DWRRS.  For the most part the 2001 renovation made it so.  The outdoor seating and suites are equal on both sides and connected on the south.  There are elevator and stair towers on each side on the south side and soon to have the same on the north.  The south facade has a symmetry about it.  The facade that faces Lot 44 on the new construction contains a lot of symmetry albeit the symmetry is forfeited with 'the gap' designed into the project.  I think 'the gap' is in response to a 'tradition' that isn't really a 'tradition'.  The tradition takes place inside the stadium, not outside of it, but the fact that it breaks the symmetry makes it special, otherwise it would not have been designed that way.

I think the biggest problem that people have with the stadium is that the west side isn't finished, and in my contribution to this thread I believe that to be a right-of-way issue and not a 'we don't care' issue.  There is not enough room between the stadium and Razorback Road to make any renovation of that side of the stadium feasible....right now.  Major work would have to take place to move Razorback Road to the east...into a hill.  So far the lowest hanging fruits have been picked, which is to say it has been far easier to renovate what has been renovated.  The more difficult parts are yet to be worked on.  If our stadium were my project, my first thoughts would be 'where are the challenges'.  The West side is a huge challenge, and if asked I'll be on the side of 'it certainly needs some work'. 

I will leave you all with this anecdote...I live in Oklahoma in among a lot of OU and OSU fans.  I have brought many of my fellow Oklahomans to Razorback games over the 14 years that we have lived here.  Every one of them has commented on how nice our stadium is.  Every one.

opineonswine

twistitup

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on March 23, 2018, 09:13:33 am
I have brought many of my fellow Oklahomans to Razorback games over the 14 years that we have lived here.  Every one of them has commented on how nice our stadium is.  Every one.

What part of the stadium did you bring your friends to?

Cotton

Quote from: opineonswine on March 23, 2018, 09:40:36 am
nah...it's really pretty ghetto
Better looking than Arkansas girls I hate to admit.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: twistitup on March 23, 2018, 09:45:03 am
What part of the stadium did you bring your friends to?

Section 104 Row 12 Seats 14,15,16,17
West side of the stadium.

twistitup

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on March 23, 2018, 10:57:15 am
Section 104 Row 12 Seats 14,15,16,17
West side of the stadium.

How does it compare to Norman?

Does Ou hae an unfinished side too?

You friends might feel right at home if Ou does it like we do....I think they call it the 90% and stop strategy

hogfan14

Quote from: twistitup on March 23, 2018, 11:55:37 am
How does it compare to Norman?

Does Ou hae an unfinished side too?

You friends might feel right at home if Ou does it like we do....I think they call it the 90% and stop strategy

I remember seeing a thread from TCU fans that were underwhelmed with our stadium, but they had to see it while it was under construction.

twistitup

Quote from: hogfan14 on March 23, 2018, 12:42:54 pm
I remember seeing a thread from TCU fans that were underwhelmed with our stadium, but they had to see it while it was under construction.

It always appears to be under construction - part of what I don't like.

jst01

Correct. I read that one too.  They were not impressed by the concourses, concession area, restrooms, etc.   

I cant blame them.  It's rough in that area..concrete rough finishes, large posters/pictures of Razorback history that are faded and wrinkled. Its very unimpressive when you get down under the seats unless you are in the clubs and indoor areas.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 23, 2018, 01:36:43 pm
It always appears to be under construction - part of what I don't like.

Prior to November 2016, when was the last time the stadium was under construction?

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2018, 01:44:09 pm
Prior to November 2016, when was the last time the stadium was under construction?

The west side still has steel exposed....I assume it's been 'under construction' ever since they postponed finishing the west side. Unfinished qualifies as a type of 'under construction' as I understand it...

As long as it's open with steel showing we might as well make the most of it with some platforms and ziplines going down to Razorback Rd.

Lemons into Lemonade ---wait we forgot the water for the lemonade...damn you Levy

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 23, 2018, 01:48:47 pm
The west side still has steel exposed....I assume it's been 'under construction' ever since they postponed finishing the west side. Unfinished qualifies as a type of 'under construction' as I understand it...

As long as it's open with steel showing we might as well make the most of it with some platforms and ziplines going down to Razorback Rd.

Lemons into Lemonade ---wait we forgot the water for the lemonade...damn you Levy

That's the problem, it isn't unfinished. Now, you may not like the finish, just as you don't like the brick on your neighbor's house, but it's finished.

LZH

Quote from: rljjr on March 22, 2018, 08:17:31 am
But, but, but ... it's a TRADITION to see those exposed beams!!! Man, next thing you know they'll want to fill in the gap!!! Oh, wait. THIS POST IS COMPLETE SARCASM. //Sarcasm off//

Drape a giant semi-see-thru screen/tarp with huge pics of D-Mac, MJ, etc. over the entire west side. You could see out some but you couldn't see in from the street.

You're welcome.

Cotton

Quote from: jst01 on March 23, 2018, 01:42:37 pm
Correct. I read that one too.  They were not impressed by the concourses, concession area, restrooms, etc.   

I cant blame them.  It's rough in that area..concrete rough finishes, large posters/pictures of Razorback history that are faded and wrinkled. Its very unimpressive when you get down under the seats unless you are in the clubs and indoor areas.
Plus the new stadium they have in Fort Worth is very nice.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

goodguytex

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on March 22, 2018, 11:08:03 am
Now that 49 is complete they should reroute that section of 112 to be part of 49 up to the Garland exit.
I49 is not complete. There's a big, huge chunk missing from fort Smith to Texarkana.

twistitup

March 25, 2018, 10:29:56 am #1725 Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:55:53 am by twistitup
Quote from: goodguytex on March 25, 2018, 10:09:52 am
I49 is not complete. There's a big, huge chunk missing from fort Smith to Texarkana.

And north to the Missouri border from Bentonville...around the Vista - MO had their part done years ago. The 'show me' state showing us how to get it done

twistitup

Why don't we close Razorback Rd to traffic?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on March 23, 2018, 02:39:48 pm
Drape a giant semi-see-thru screen/tarp with huge pics of D-Mac, MJ, etc. over the entire west side. You could see out some but you couldn't see in from the street.

You're welcome.

That's a damn good idea.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

goodguytex

Quote from: twistitup on March 25, 2018, 10:29:56 am
And north to the Missouri border from Bentonville...around the Vista - MO had their part done years ago. The 'show me' state showing us how to get very it done
It just chaps me when I drive 49 in Texarkana, to the end of it... It's real nice.

Then I come to the end of it, and see the janky old highway 71 right there that I have to turn off on to keep going. And 49 dead ends.

Louisiana is done, Missouri is done. Why can't Arkansas? If they can't get the route for 49 done, just make 71 into 49/71, and widen and improve it to interstate? The end of 49 and beginning of 71 are within 1000 feet of each other. Just connect them.  Buy land around where 71 is anyway and  widen it. There's been construction non stop on I30 anyway non stop. Might as well do something that will lead to long term economic growth for the whole area along the route. Let's get it connected and finished.

Inhogswetrust

March 25, 2018, 11:08:12 am #1729 Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:58:33 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: goodguytex on March 25, 2018, 10:49:15 am
It just chaps me when I drive 49 in Texarkana, to the end of it... It's real nice.

Then I come to the end of it, and see the janky old highway 71 right there that I have to turn off on to keep going. And 49 dead ends.

Louisiana is done, Missouri is done. Why can't Arkansas? If they can't get the route for 49 done, just make 71 into 49/71, and widen and improve it to interstate? The end of 49 and beginning of 71 are within 1000 feet of each other. Just connect them.  Buy land around where 71 is anyway and  widen it. There's been construction non stop on I30 anyway non stop. Might as well do something that will lead to long term economic growth for the whole area along the route. Let's get it connected and finished.

Louisiana and Missouri didn't have the high cost and difficulties of building it through two mountain ranges. If you check where it has been designated to go you will see the tremendous challenge and cost to finish it through the Ouachita Montains. The other to states you mentioned had the paths of least resistance.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

goodguytex

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 25, 2018, 11:08:12 am
Louisiana and Missouri didn't have the high cost and difficulties of building in through two mountain ranges. If you check where it has been designated to go you will see the tremendous challenge and cost to finish it through the Ouachita Montains. The other to states you mentioned had the paths of least resistance.
I know that. Which is why converting that part of 71 into interstate might make more sense.

twistitup

Louisiana and Missouri didn't have the high cost and difficulties of building in through two mountain ranges. If you check where it has been designated to go you will see the tremendous challenge and cost to finish it through the Ouachita Montains. The other to states you mentioned had the paths of least resistance.

Your making excuses....just like the stadium folks who don't finish the west side. Do all of you go have drinks at the end of the day on Dickson and just laugh? Unfinished highway...ha Unfinished stadium....ha

Pig in the Pokey

like twist said, ITS ALWAYS looking like a construction site.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

goodguytex

Quote from: twistitup on March 25, 2018, 11:59:24 am
Your making excuses....just like the stadium folks who don't finish the west side. Do all of you go have drinks at the end of the day on Dickson and just laugh? Unfinished highway...ha Unfinished stadium....ha
You make a valid point. There are a lot of small towns that 71 goes through. If 71 we're converted to interstate, the state could try to buy land bypassing the center of towns and build over passes. Wouldn't have to construct a whole new route running near 71 to do it. Would be much cheaper too. The economic impact of that being completed would be enormous for everything along that route.

Justifiable Hogicide

Any mention of whether the "Wild Band Of Razorbacks" bronze monument will be finished and installed for the 2018 season?

twistitup

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on March 25, 2018, 05:48:07 pm
Any mention of whether the "Wild Band Of Razorbacks" bronze monument will be finished and installed for the 2018 season?

Installed - yes

Finished - no

DLUXHOG

AND..... Louisana & Missouri are common, whereas Arkansas is unique, very.......unique.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: goodguytex on March 25, 2018, 12:30:28 pm
You make a valid point. There are a lot of small towns that 71 goes through. If 71 we're converted to interstate, the state could try to buy land bypassing the center of towns and build over passes. Wouldn't have to construct a whole new route running near 71 to do it. Would be much cheaper too. The economic impact of that being completed would be enormous for everything along that route.

Interstate highways have different criteria. Thus it's probably not an option to convert an existing road through that type of terrrain. Gradients, space, steepness, etc.

Hwy71 north of I-40 would not have been a viable option to convert. Easier and cheaper to build new to interstate standards there and I'd bet the same for the section in this discussion.

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 25, 2018, 10:45:20 am
That's a damn good idea.

Too bad someone else thought of it first....

goodguytex

March 26, 2018, 05:00:21 am #1739 Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:42:26 am by goodguytex
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 25, 2018, 10:03:24 pm
Interstate highways have different criteria. Thus it's probably not an option to convert an existing road through that type of terrrain. Gradients, space, steepness, etc.

Hwy71 north of I-40 would not have been a viable option to convert. Easier and cheaper to build new to interstate standards there and I'd bet the same for the section in this discussion.
Not like that very thing isn't done all the time. There are many US highways that double as interstates as welL. I would think trying to convert an existing US highway to interstate standards would be cheaper than buying land hundreds of miles along a route, clearing land, everything involved with building an interstate.

With a US highway, the land and route is there and set already. Of course it'd be cheaper. I'm sure there would be issues the closer you get to fort Smith. Digging all new for 50 miles would be a whole lot cheaper than doing it all the way to Texarkana, which is the situation now. And noone can tell me mountains are the big issue all the way to Texarkana. I've driven the route enough to know better.

arkirish

Do you guys buy your Kleenex in bulk or what?

FraggleHog

Quote from: bythelake on March 22, 2018, 09:21:22 pm
Very proud of the gap.  Leadership understood the history.  Kudos.

any man that doesn't enjoy a good gap is... well, not a man
Calling the Hogs from DFW

FraggleHog

Louisiana and Missouri didn't have the high cost and difficulties of building it through two mountain ranges. If you check where it has been designated to go you will see the tremendous challenge and cost to finish it through the Ouachita Montains. The other to states you mentioned had the paths of least resistance.

If you don't think MO had to bust through mountains, then you haven't driven on I49 in SE MO
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Hogcore

I-49 will never happen. Too close to Clintons' cocaine smuggling operations.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FraggleHog on March 26, 2018, 11:14:53 am
If you don't think MO had to bust through mountains, then you haven't driven on I49 in SE MO

Drove it many times and it's not nearly as mountainous as what they have had and still have to do in Arkansas.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: arkirish on March 26, 2018, 06:19:55 am
Do you guys buy your Kleenex in bulk or what?

I hear that's how you buy yours.........

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hogcore on March 26, 2018, 11:39:10 am
I-49 will never happen. Too close to Clintons' cocaine smuggling operations.

For your information that was started by ex-President George Bush the 1st when he was head of the CIA under Nixon.  Clinton was probably still in law school at the time.  Bush tried to pin the whole thing on Oliver North when he decided to run for President...I don't think anyone bought it.

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: twistitup on March 23, 2018, 01:48:47 pm

It is very possible that the exposed steel WAS the design at the time it was constructed with no plans to make it anything other than what it is.  I have looked around the internet multiple times to find a rendering or a description of a design for the renovation of the west side of the stadium.  No such animal exists that I can find. 

I believe that something SHOULD ultimately happen on that side of the stadium, but like I've said on this thread, it's the most difficult side to deal with.  Get the other 75% of the stadium done and deal with the most difficult 25% later.  I would submit that the West side of the stadium will be twice what the East side was if renovated the same way.  The East side didn't have a road to move into a hill.

twistitup

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on March 26, 2018, 04:33:17 pm
It is very possible that the exposed steel WAS the design at the time it was constructed with no plans to make it anything other than what it is.  I have looked around the internet multiple times to find a rendering or a description of a design for the renovation of the west side of the stadium.  No such animal exists that I can find. 

I believe that something SHOULD ultimately happen on that side of the stadium, but like I've said on this thread, it's the most difficult side to deal with.  Get the other 75% of the stadium done and deal with the most difficult 25% later.  I would submit that the West side of the stadium will be twice what the East side was if renovated the same way.  The East side didn't have a road to move into a hill.

Why not close Razorback Rd for good? It needs to be a party area / campus area - too dangerous for traffic to be able to get that close.

I don't think the internets was around when the RRS project went sideways...it's def not someting the Uof A is proud of - it wasn't supposed to look like that - money ran out and they just caged it in.

If they just wait long enough the 'industrial / unfinished look' will be chic and they can say 'look - we are trendy'

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 26, 2018, 05:13:20 pm
Why not close Razorback Rd for good? It needs to be a party area / campus area - too dangerous for traffic to be able to get that close.

I don't think the internets was around when the RRS project went sideways...it's def not someting the Uof A is proud of - it wasn't supposed to look like that - money ran out and they just caged it in.

If they just wait long enough the 'industrial / unfinished look' will be chic and they can say 'look - we are trendy'

I suspect that they need it for every day traffic on campus, that, and it's a state highway. As to the west side of Razorback Stadium, it's been that way since the upper deck was added in the early 80's, it's finished.