Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 questions from NC game....

Started by Grizzlyfan, January 09, 2018, 10:40:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog N Bama

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 09, 2018, 12:11:52 pm
So based on your post you missed the part after getting a foolish 15 yard penalty to hurt his team, he then preceded to go after an assistant/GA shoving him on the sideline and had to be restrained by players?

Great athlete or not he wouldn't have went back on the field for that game anyway if I were the coach, and we would have some serious discussions back in Tuscaloosa about his future at Alabama.
Buahahahahahaha maybe so but you haven't ever seen Bama coaches do that now have you?

Oklahawg

Quote from: LRHawg on January 09, 2018, 11:22:19 am
One odd thing, when Tua(sp?) was interviewed right after the game, he said "My parent's aren't going to like this, but first of all, I have to give all credit to my lord and savior Jesus Christ." he then went on to speak well of his team. Anyways, I just found that odd. My wife asked what was up with his parents, I said maybe they're atheist?

Maybe his parents are a refreshing throwback to the time that matters of faith and patriotism are lived, not worn like a tailored sportcoat. I remember growing up a preacher telling the congregation, "if you have to tell someone you are a [person] of god then you aren't living that way."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogsanity

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 12, 2018, 01:20:17 pm
Maybe his parents are a refreshing throwback to the time that matters of faith and patriotism are lived, not worn like a tailored sportcoat. I remember growing up a preacher telling the congregation, "if you have to tell someone you are a [person] of god then you aren't living that way."

But an Christian is called upon, actually charged by God, to spread their faith and tell the world about Jesus.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogPharmer

Quote from: hogsanity on January 09, 2018, 12:15:17 pm
Many of our fans would not have played the FR Qb either cause he is not from the south.

Damn carpetbaggin Hawaiians...
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: hogsanity on January 09, 2018, 12:15:17 pm
Many of our fans would not have played the FR Qb either cause he is not from the south.

Further to your point most Hogvillians would not have played him because he is a freshman. Ironically, both teams finished the game with true freshmen QBS. If you are talented you can play as a freshman or senior.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

BrickTwnHog

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on January 09, 2018, 10:45:18 am
For a while there it looked like Saban had lost the team. Still think Saban lacks teaching discipline.

Really?  50+ 4* and 5* on a team and you hardly ever hear about those huge egos getting in trouble

Grizzlyfan

Brown has transferred to Tennessee State. Interestingly he requested the transfer and was admitted to Tenn State a month before the championship game.

liljo

Quote from: Hoginsavga on January 12, 2018, 05:02:57 pm
Further to your point most Hogvillians would not have played him because he is a freshman. Ironically, both teams finished the game with true freshmen QBS. If you are talented you can play as a freshman or senior.

I forget, was it Bear Bryant that once said, "If a dog'll bite, he'll do it when he's a pup." ? ? ?
It was in regard to how he felt about playing freshmen.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

311Hog

i wonder if people understand that one freshman is not like the other etc.  If you were a statistician what do you think the odds are of finding a Tua ? I mean if you read the papers apparently Bama OC wanted Tua to start sooner but arguably the greatest college football coach in history was against it right up until half way through the championship game.

Some of you guys kill me when you think that any ole 3 star 4 star 5 star even true freshman can step onto campus and start/survive much less thrive.

Can it happen ? sure you can also win the lottery it doesn't mean the odds are even remotely in your favor of it happening.

liljo

Quote from: 311Hog on January 19, 2018, 09:24:05 am
i wonder if people understand that one freshman is not like the other etc.  If you were a statistician what do you think the odds are of finding a Tua ? I mean if you read the papers apparently Bama OC wanted Tua to start sooner but arguably the greatest college football coach in history was against it right up until half way through the championship game.

Some of you guys kill me when you think that any ole 3 star 4 star 5 star even true freshman can step onto campus and start/survive much less thrive.

Can it happen ? sure you can also win the lottery it doesn't mean the odds are even remotely in your favor of it happening.

And who might you be referring to as thinking that "any ole 3 star 4 star 5 star" can start/survive or thrive? Haven't seen those thoughts expressed. But, from what I HAVE seen around here, I wouldn't be surprised.

I will say this: There have been countless freshmen of those categories listed that have started and thrived. Every single year. All over the place. Not uncommon at all. But no, not just any of 'em.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

311Hog

Quote from: liljo on January 19, 2018, 09:39:33 pm
And who might you be referring to as thinking that "any ole 3 star 4 star 5 star" can start/survive or thrive? Haven't seen those thoughts expressed. But, from what I HAVE seen around here, I wouldn't be surprised.

I will say this: There have been countless freshmen of those categories listed that have started and thrived. Every single year. All over the place. Not uncommon at all. But no, not just any of 'em.

referring to lots of people and it is often expressed they see 4/5 star X player and expect them to step in day 1 year 1 and start and it isn't NEARLY as common as you make it sound, most of the 500 best incoming freshman need time in the program before they can contribute, only a hand full every year make an impact in their first years. So 10 to 20 out of 500 some where around 5 %  and in this case with bama's LT QB and RB they were legitimately the best coming in at their positions and they had an entire year of practice with bowl prep.

liljo

Quote from: 311Hog on January 19, 2018, 11:09:28 pm
referring to lots of people and it is often expressed they see 4/5 star X player and expect them to step in day 1 year 1 and start and it isn't NEARLY as common as you make it sound, most of the 500 best incoming freshman need time in the program before they can contribute, only a hand full every year make an impact in their first years. So 10 to 20 out of 500 some where around 5 %  and in this case with bama's LT QB and RB they were legitimately the best coming in at their positions and they had an entire year of practice with bowl prep.

I think we believe the same thing. Yes, it is a small percentage of freshman who impact teams early. I in total agreement with you there. But I'm speaking in terms of historically. Over the years, and pretty much every year, and on practically every team, there are freshmen who become impact players. Excellent coaching through the spring makes them better than they were in high school--some get a lot better. The fall camp and in most cases limited game experience. Pretty soon, because of an individual kid's physical talent, they pass an older, less gifted kid for a starting spot. Happens all the time.

With all the camps and great high school football in many places, there is likely to always be some kids that excel at the college level--even the vaunted SEC--while they are still freshmen.