Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Women kneeling....

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, November 03, 2016, 07:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The hog meister

I have a novel idea. The girls get a poster board and write down some words on it and stand outside Bud Walton during a women's basketball game attended only by their friends and family (since they have run off any fans that they did have) and quit disrespecting our flag and anthem. Or maybe yet practice real hard and put in that extra effort to put on the floor a product that all razorback nation would be proud of. But sadly not this group of individuals.

ur

Next game is Friday, veterans day. Will be interesting to see if they do it again then. Then Sunday is the big day that the kneeler supporters will be there. I'm thinking the kneeling is over and there will be some unhappy libs at the game on Sunday if they show up.

FineAsSwine

From Terry Frei of the Denver Post in 1996:

QuoteAb-dul-Rauf considered his balking at standing for the national anthem an expression of his religious preferences and a disdain for the racial prejudices so long condoned in this country. Called on it, though, and told that it would cost him nearly $ 32,000 for each worknight he missed if the National Basketball Association's suspension remained in force, he rationalized an accommodation. And this was only a few days after Abdul-Rauf said, "My beliefs are more important than anything. If I have to give up basketball, I will."

QuoteAbdul-Rauf stood to lose $ 31,707 in salary for missing one game while under suspension, but the Nuggets agreed behind the scenes that they would reimburse him. Before the issue was resolved, writers were shaking their heads: How could a guy give up that much every night the Nuggets played? Answer: He couldn't.

Taking a principled stance can be extremely difficult and the cost can sometimes be very high. Just have to be sure you are ready to handle the backlash.

The hog meister

Quote from: The hog meister on November 07, 2016, 08:19:08 am
I have a novel idea. The girls get a poster board and write down some words on it and stand outside Bud Walton during a women's basketball game attended only by their friends and family (since they have run off any fans that they did have) and quit disrespecting our flag and anthem. Or maybe yet practice real hard and put in that extra effort to put on the floor a product that all razorback nation would be proud of. But sadly not this group of individuals.

mizzouman

For all those who say that they "lost my support", will you support them if they make it to the Final 4?

texas tush hog

Quote from: mizzouman on November 08, 2016, 08:50:43 am
For all those who say that they "lost my support", will you support them if they make it to the Final 4?

Short answer. NO!

mizzouman

Another question.  Say they stop kneeling and stand for the anthem, but then protest on Dickson Street.  Would you support that?

texas tush hog

Quote from: mizzouman on November 08, 2016, 08:52:24 am
Another question.  Say they stop kneeling and stand for the anthem, but then protest on Dickson Street.  Would you support that?

Yep, they could get their butts kicked by a bunch of drunks in that venue, but not on the court and not wearing the Razorback uniform, totally different

The hog meister

Not even close to happening. I mean them getting to final 4 or my support. They won't even get to final 4 in SEC tournament.

mizzouman

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 08, 2016, 09:07:19 am
Yep, they could get their butts kicked by a bunch of drunks in that venue, but not on the court and not wearing the Razorback uniform, totally different
Understood, but what if they protest on campus?  I'm trying to understand Hog fans emotions to this.  I mean are you guys pissed because they are athletes and protest during a game or pissed because they protested at all?

HoopS

Anybody paying attention knew CK has become the mostly hated player in the NFL for doing this. To know that and still decide to do this just wasn't well thought out. At all.

Dykes was an iffy pick to begin with and has been less than impressive in the little I've watched. His girls just firmly put him on the hot seat before their play did. And from what I've seen that was just a matter of time anyway.

mizzouman

Quote from: The hog meister on November 08, 2016, 09:08:02 am
Not even close to happening. I mean them getting to final 4 or my support. They won't even get to final 4 in SEC tournament.
I know they aren't getting to the Final 4 but you understand where I'm coming from.  In other words, let's say this team is expected to get to the Final 4 and they protested.  Would everyone still feel the same?

mizzouman

Quote from: HoopS on November 08, 2016, 09:13:37 am
Anybody paying attention knew CK has become the mostly hated player in the NFL for doing this. To know that and still decide to do this just wasn't well thought out. At all.

Dykes was an iffy pick to begin with and has been less than impressive in the little I've watched. His girls just firmly put him on the hot seat before their play did. And from what I've seen that was just a matter of time anyway.
Public universities are really in a no win situation when it comes to athletes protesting.  If these players stop protesting, then everyone will wonder why?  What has changed?  Has someone put a muzzle on them?

Recruits notice this and they don't like it.  The good news for Razorback fans is this is happening in women's basketball.  If this happened under Mike Anderson, that would be a huge mess.

HoopS

Mike Anderson has lead in a way that his team understands he respects the flag and will be standing for it so they mirror him.

pigture perfect

No. Not if that is all they do. I would however support them, if they chose another way to improve the situation they are protesting. Say for instance, they speak up for a go fund me account to buy toys for the children of inmates for Christmas. That is a noble cause that would be beneficial to the victims they are trying to honour.

They could visit with, (starting with the UA Campus PD) enforcement officers and create friendships with them. By protesting the way they did, it would only bring more distrust between LEO's and the AA community.

I also wish they would apologize to the Military vets who they have offended. I don't believe that their beef was with them in the first place, yet that is what many perceived as wrong.

To conclude, and sorry for the length, these girls did nothing to improve the situation by kneeling. They exacerbated the situation instead.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dwight_K_Shrute

My opinion/reaction was

1.  I don't necessarily disagree with points of view such as AA are treated unfairly and there may be bias in policing especially the use of deadly force that needs to be addressed, but.....

2.  Not allowing your team to kneel during the anthem at a Razorback event is not infringing on their right to protest.  As the coach you can say when we put on the uniform we are all Red & White and we will do things together as a team.  I respect your views and opinions even if I may not agree with them, but as a team we will stand during pregame.

3.  Kids are kids sometimes their intentions are great but their actions are misguided.  The fact that they knelt does not mean they do not love the USA or the military or even police.  They were concerned about an issue and mimicked what several athletic role models had done.  It's what kids do.  Again if they are misguided in their attempts or doing it in an improper forum it's up to their coaches to set that tone.

4.  Although I don't agree with their actions I'm glad they are concerned about social issues and willing to take a stand for them, again time and place is everything and as 18 to 22 year olds they may not have enough life experience to realize that or that their actions may be perceived as disrespectful to some.  Exercising a right or being concerned about a social issue is still better than sitting on their a$$ just worried about themselves, their instagram, or tinder. 

5.  The overreaction to what they did is a bit much.  Depending on the protest, many times the best way to show you disagree is to just ignore.  You ignore it, it takes away the protests power, it dies down, it becomes a non story and then eventually it goes away.  The fact that some idiot law maker wants to take away funding is even more absurd and does start venturing into the government wanting to infringe upon free speech. 

6.  It's Dykes team, he can run it as he sees fit and let his players do whatever he chooses during pregame.  The real criticism if any is to be had rests on his shoulders.  After JD's first year I thought the experiment might pay off but it seems to be a regression toward the mean if that even.  He's not quite the WYSIWYG we have with other coaches.  MA for example is the unquestioned leader of the men's team.  He sets the lead/tone team follows.

7.  I have been an American for almost 50 years, and a Razorback Alum/Fan for 25.  What the women's basketball team did in no way infringes or changes my love for country, school, or the Razorbacks as a whole. Have never been to a women's basketball game and don't know if I ever will.  The protest does not impact that in the least. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

LadybackBBFan

I just removed another post on this subject that was strictly political.  Put it in the political site if you want to repost it.

jabberjawls

Hogs33

You got to hand it to them.. This is the most The LadyRazorbacks have ever been talked about in the history of the program. (In BBall of course)
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

Hogs33

Quote from: Hogs33 on November 08, 2016, 04:46:01 pm
You got to hand it to them.. This is the most The LadyRazorbacks have ever been talked about in the history of the program. (In BBall of course)
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

DeltaBoy

It been stopped

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas women's basketball coach Jimmy Dykes announced Wednesday six of his players who opted to kneel during the National Anthem last week will no longer do so going forward.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2016, 03:23:53 pm
It been stopped

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas women's basketball coach Jimmy Dykes announced Wednesday six of his players who opted to kneel during the National Anthem last week will no longer do so going forward.

This is great news.  Not that anyone cares, but I'm happy to support them going forward.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

factchecker

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/project-unify-introduced/

QuoteUniversity campuses are places of learning where differences of opinion are not only commonplace but important to the concept of higher learning," Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long said.  "Within this setting, members of our women's basketball team shared their perspectives based on their own experiences and raised awareness of an issue close to their hearts.  I am pleased that our student-athletes will honor our country by standing during the national anthem and I offer my unwavering support for Project Unify and will work to assist them in this campus wide initiative."
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

pigture perfect

Quote from: factchecker on November 09, 2016, 06:04:13 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/project-unify-introduced/

in an earlier post, I stated that I would not be in support of this team if kneeling was all they did. I also made a few suggestions as to how they could gain some of my support back. This link by factchecker shows that they are going to refrain from the anthem protest and take up dialogue with law inforcement agencies like I mentioned in my post. I don't think they saw my post, so I take no credit for it, but I did say if they would do some of these things I would change my view as well. Soooooo......, they have come a long way in gaining some of my support back. This is a move I can be proud of.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 07, 2016, 06:27:31 am

The flag is a symbol of the governments power over the people. When the government abuses those it rules, symbols become targets of protests by those oppressed or whose rights are abused.
The flag is only a piece of cloth with a design on it. It only has the powers that people attribute to it. Same as the government.

Except the symbolism of the flag you mention is important to some people. Especially to those that fought under it. Just like the protesters symbolism of keeling in protest is to those protestors.  Ironic to say the least. Therefore that symbolism makes it have more meaning than simply being a piece of cloth. I have the flag that was dapped over my Dad's casket. They telling me that it is just a piece of cloth. That government it represents IS the people. Is it perfect no, has it always been no, does what it represent evolve yes. The right to protest is sacrosanct. The ability to do so in a logical manner is important. As others have said if you want to protest police brutality fine then do not protest in such a way or place that ALL security personnel are included or own your employers or organizations time. That's like trying to protest the high cosy of health care if you are working on the clock while while driving an ambulance. IF you protest in such a way that is so general in nature that it is against the flag or overall government be ready to accept that some people are going to take offense because of what they did while serving under that flag for your right to protest. Remember that you could be killed for doing just that in some countries where people are not the government.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 07, 2016, 06:27:31 am

...The flag is a symbol of the governments power over the people. When the government abuses those it rules, symbols become targets of protests by those oppressed or whose rights are abused...

I think this statement is where a lot of disagreement originates. 

Many don't believe the US flag is a symbol of the government's power over the people; they believe that the US flag is a symbol of the people's power over the government.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Luke STYwalker

Quote from: mizzouman on November 08, 2016, 09:13:19 am
Understood, but what if they protest on campus?  I'm trying to understand Hog fans emotions to this.  I mean are you guys pissed because they are athletes and protest during a game or pissed because they protested at all?

I'm just pissed they protested at all..    A guy from North Carolina was on the news all day long today explaining the results of the investigation.  No Charges filed.    Will all the people who protested across the country now retract?   No, they won't.     

MoHog74

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/admiral-gets-standing-ovation-for-colin-kaepernick-remark-at-pearl-harbor-ceremony-220920823.html

Great comment.  And this is how our fathers, mothers, grandparents, and others who lived thru this time feel about the National Anthem.  This feeling still runs very deep for many people.  WPS

HoopS

Yep. Meanwhile I assume our girls are still playing.

LadybackBBFan

I removed several emails which had to do with politics.  Please stop putting political comments on the women's sports blog.  There is a political blog on Hogville - use it!

Dr. Starcs

Jimmy kneeds to get a clue.

hogman64

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 21, 2016, 05:11:12 pm
Jimmy kneeds to get a clue.

they kneed to start playing a better non conference schedule what good does it do to start out  10 -1 etc every year only to win 4 or 5 conference games ... they have a hard time beating any team that isn't a bottom 25% team

HoopS

Pretty much agree. Seems like the same every season they (not we anymore) beat teams in the ooc who they could simply take a knee on for the final 10 minutes, or at least through a song. Then get knocked to their knees in conference. Maybe one day it'll change but the current leadership supports what we have witnessed.