Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Women kneeling....

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, November 03, 2016, 07:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Sorry, Jimmy....you just lost me as a fan.
Arkansas Women's Basketball Team Kneels During National Anthem
http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/breaking-news/arkansas-womens-basketball-team-kneels-during-national-anthem
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Arazorbackguy1

Best way to fix this...  do the national anthem before the players are on the court/field.  We don't have a problem with it in college football.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Pigdiana Jones

Or they could be taught to show respect or they don't play. This crap is beyond ridiculous.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on November 03, 2016, 07:25:04 pm
Or they could be taught to show respect or they don't play. This crap is beyond ridiculous.

Bingo!

Hog N Bama

BOOOOOO Whiners that disrespect this country need to get out and see if they can find a better one and stay there

Hawghiggs

lahawg1

There would be more scholarships available next year.

MountieDawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 07:22:17 pm
Sorry, Jimmy....you just lost me as a fan.
Arkansas Women's Basketball Team Kneels During National Anthem
http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/breaking-news/arkansas-womens-basketball-team-kneels-during-national-anthem
I was a big fan of CJD, but no respect now. His days will be numbered when seats are more empty.
SEC!

rhames

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 03, 2016, 07:28:46 pm
revoke scholarship.

And get sued?

I'm not a fan of this as much as anybody but there really isn't a lot anyone can do . It's their right to do whatever they want during the National Anthem 

If the anthem was played after the football team came out there would be players doing it too 
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

(notOM)Rebel123

Maybe they were protesting all of the senseless shootings by the UAPD?
Geez.

BigE_23

Nice bait and switch with the thread title...

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:31:52 pm

And get sued?

I'm not a fan of this as much as anybody but there really isn't a lot anyone can do . It's their right to do whatever they want during the National Anthem 

If the anthem was played after the football team came out there would be players doing it too 

Sued? For what? Scholarships are "year to year". If they don't meet the standards of conduct, adios.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: BigE_23 on November 03, 2016, 07:32:28 pm
Nice bait and switch with the thread title...

Ouch. You caught me.... 😉

rhames

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 07:33:14 pm
Sued? For what? Scholarships are "year to year". If they don't meet the standards, adios.

Discrimination due to personal belief?

Look at what happened at mizziou last year 

You can't not renew a scholarship because someone didn't stand during the national anthem 

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:34:33 pm

You can't not renew a scholarship because someone didn't stand during the national anthem

Really? Says who? Plus, there are other ways....

rhames

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 07:35:31 pm
Really? Says who? Plus, there are other ways....

What other ways?

Were you watching a lot of women's basketball?? Going to a lot of their games??

verticalhog

It will be interesting to hear what Dykes says about this.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:37:03 pm
What other ways?

Were you watching a lot of women's basketball?? Going to a lot of their games??

For one, not meeting the standards of conduct, behavior wise. Bringing negative publicity to the University. Many a student-athlete has been "dismissed" because of their behavior.

.....and Yes. Several a year.

Pigdiana Jones

Yes, you can. They all agreed to a certain way of doing things which is being respectful and especially while representing the U of A.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

rhames

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 07:37:42 pm
Yes. Several a year.

I guess you can do your part by not going then 

stevec

This is a silly thing to get upset about.  If people ignored it, they would stop doing it.

rhames

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on November 03, 2016, 07:38:01 pm
Yes, you can. They all agreed to a certain way of doing things which is being respectful and especially while representing the U of A.

Really? What exactly did they agree to?

rhames

Quote from: stevec on November 03, 2016, 07:38:39 pm
This is a silly thing to get upset about.  If people ignored it, they would stop doing it.

Bingo

thefisher

I thought there was a clause about dismissal if you committed acts that were damaging to the University. A "Code Of Conduct" agreement they signed to play for the school.  They could damn sure make it a condition of any future scholarship recipients.  When an athlete is on the floor or field wearing that uniform they are the public image of the university and the school damn sure can control actions on that basis.  Now .... if an athlete wants to protest on their own time wearing their own clothes then I am first in line to support their right to do so. However, if you are wearing that uniform on game day the requirements are different at that moment.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:39:02 pm

Bingo

I expect the student-athletes that I support financially, to respect the National Anthem and the United States of America. If they choose not to do so, I have the every right to withhold my support.

rhames

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 07:40:29 pm
I expect the student-athletes that I support financially, to respect the National Anthem and the United States of America. If they choose not to do so, I have the every right to withhold my support.

No doubt about it

Never said you didn't 

stevec

One could argue that dissent and exercising freedom of speech are patriotic concepts.  This country has much more important issues than someone taking a knee during the anthem.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:41:33 pm

No doubt about it

Never said you didn't 

But they do not have the right to do whatever they want when wearing the uniform and representing the UofA.

rhames

Quote from: thefisher on November 03, 2016, 07:40:20 pm
I thought there was a clause about dismissal if you committed acts that were damaging to the University. A "Code Of Conduct" agreement they signed to play for the school.  They could damn sure make it a condition of any future scholarship recipients.  When an athlete is on the floor or field wearing that uniform they are the public image of the university and the school damn sure can control actions on that basis.  Now .... if an athlete wants to protest on their own time wearing their own clothes then I am first in line to support their right to do so. However, if you are wearing that uniform on game day the requirements are different at that moment.

You can't require anyone to stand for the National Anthem anymore than you can require them to pray or whatever 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: stevec on November 03, 2016, 07:42:10 pm
One could argue that dissent and exercising freedom of speech are patriotic concepts.  This country has much more important issues than someone taking a knee during the anthem.

Attitudes such as this, has gotten this country to where it is today. When you fail to respect the very flag and anthem that gives you your rights, then you don't deserve that right.

stevec

Sure thing, Bubba.  Educate me, wise man.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:43:15 pm

You can't require anyone to stand for the National Anthem anymore than you can require them to pray or whatever 

But you can't require a University and/or athletic department to give them free tuition, room, board, & medical care, either.

rhames

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 07:42:31 pm
But they do not have the right to do whatever they want when wearing the uniform and representing the UofA.

They have every right the constitution provides them while wearing whatever clothing 

Their actions isn't causing  harm to anyone . Like I said  look at what happened at mizziou last year .  That really set the tone for this whole thing .

They have a right to do it just as much as you have a right to get mad

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: stevec on November 03, 2016, 07:44:50 pm
Sure thing, Bubba.  Educate me, wise man.
Hang around...I will.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:45:41 pm
They have every right the constitution provides them while wearing whatever clothing 
Their actions isn't calming harm to anyone . Like I said  look at what happened at mizziou last year .  That really set the tone for this whole thing .

They have a right to do it just as much as you have a right to get mad

No they do not. When they sign their letter of intent, they agree to certain standards & conditions. If they fail to meet those, they can be released of their scholarships. They agree to it....pretty simple.

stevec

We should really enforce patriotism with martial law.  Sic the dogs on these people.  Teach them respect.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: stevec on November 03, 2016, 07:48:58 pm
We should really enforce patriotism with martial law.  Sic the dogs on these people.  Teach them respect.

Totally agree. You are coming around much quicker than anticipated.
Martial law? Not to that extreme...but those who refuse to show respect for this country should be ashamed of themselves. Enjoy the rights you have while spitting in the faces of those who died to preserve those rights for you.

rhames

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 07:47:28 pm
No they do not. When they sign their letter of intent, they agree to certain standards & conditions. If they fail to meet those, they can be released of their scholarships. They agree to it....pretty simple.

Where does it say they have to stand for the National Anthem??

There have been players that haven't lived up to the "standards" in much more damaging ways to the university that didn't lose their scholarships 

I don't like it just as much as you don't but the school cannot really do much about it 

TeufelHog

Athletic Department better get a handle on this before we have a "Mizzou Situation" on our hands and we see an impact on future university enrollment.  As far as CJD is concerned . . . expected better leadership on his behalf.  As an alum, I am truly disappointed in the team decision and coaching staff lack of leadership.  There are many other methods out there, which are less disrespectful, to support a cause.

Maybe CJD needs to take a page out of CBW leadership book . . .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/basketball-coach-veterans-national-anthem_us_56e2eaece4b065e2e3d5b10d

al_pigcino

Quote from: verticalhog on November 03, 2016, 07:37:15 pm
It will be interesting to hear what Dykes says about this.
I'd by 25 papers if they had the headline "Dykes opinion on women kneeling"

rhames

Quote from: al_pigcino on November 03, 2016, 07:50:27 pm
I'd by 25 papers if they had the headline "Dykes opinion on women kneeling"

Hahahahaha . Laugh of the day

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:50:15 pm
Where does it say they have to stand for the National Anthem??

There have been players that haven't lived up to the "standards" in much more damaging ways to the university that didn't lose their scholarships 

I don't like it just as much as you don't but the school cannot really do much about it 

Yes they can. The school controls the purse strings and they can tell them to get off their knees and stand, if they want to remain in scholarship.

Hawgzinbowlz

0% support for CJD and his team.

" GO HOGS "

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

WaltKowalski

Maybe we can put an end to the abomination that is womens BB.

Ben

oh great...people still bitching and moaning about people kneeling during the anthem. Of course I expect Arkansans on here to hate it, being the state we are. It isn't hurting anybody but oversensitive people. The same ones against it are the same ones who don't even stand for the anthem when its being played on TV before a game at home.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

rhames

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 07:52:18 pm
Yes they can. The school controls the purse strings and they can tell them to get off their knees and stand, if they want to remain in scholarship.

So should the school be able to force any idea on them? Say, have people come talk to them about who to vote for, what religion to follow? I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with that as long as you agreed with it . The university is between a rock and a hard place on how to handle this 

Say they did what you are asking them to do, can you imagine the media backlash? And yeah there would be law suits 

It would make mizziou look like Disney land 

sickboy

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on November 03, 2016, 07:25:04 pm
Quote from: Hog N Bama on November 03, 2016, 07:27:26 pm
BOOOOOO Whiners that disrespect this country need to get out and see if they can find a better one and stay there
Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 03, 2016, 07:28:46 pm
revoke scholarship.

Guys, I disagree with kneeling during the anthem too, in a philosophical sense. But this country is built on a foundation of free speech. When you start trying to control speech, you're going against everything this country was founded on and what our men and women of the military fight every day to preserve for us all. You can't punish these girls by revoking scholarships or benching them -- that's suppressing our most hallowed right as an American.

The irony is -- I'm sure you all consider yourself proud Americans. If you want to stand on that pilar of patriotism, then stand up for these girls and their right to voice their opinion, while taking a stance against their philosophies in a way that doesn't infringe on their most basic rights. If that means not supporting the Women's Basketball team... then do that. But don't say they should be punished for voicing their opinion. This isn't a third world country.

thefisher

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:43:15 pm

I disagree.  In fact the owner of the Kansas City Chiefs said any coach, player, or employee of the Chiefs who pulled that would be fired on the spot.

If not bringing shame on the university is part of the code of conduct that must be adhered to in order to maintain their scholarship then the school can certainly enforce it.

However, even if a person rejected that idea then a coach can certainly require them to stay in the locker room until the anthem is over.  I think that gives to much manipulative power to an individual but some might choose that option.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

PorkRinds

Bunch a dudes that prolly never watched or attended a lady backs basketball game.