Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Softball

Started by bigpigpimpin, February 18, 2015, 08:31:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

February 18, 2015, 08:31:19 am Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:53:08 am by bigpigpimpin
Enough is enough. This team is bad and has no pitching. 3-7 so far with several bad losses. Pitcher from russellville is going to Alabama. Pitcher for Vilonia is going to ULM. Why can't Arkansas ever get these  girls? Time for a change IMO. Losses to Liberty, Chattanooga, UCF.  Not acceptable.

MoHog74

Sounds like the softball program needs to acquaint itself with Coach Dykes' "Be Arkansas" program. :)

:razorback:

Dr. Starcs

How many years has the current coach had?

flippinhogmana

The two premier women's sports in college is basketball and softball.  There are a lot of programs more advanced in one or both sports than ours which means we face an uphill climb.

Larrabee (coach Mike) has been with the program, I want to say, four or five years.  I was not among his fans the first or second year.  But to give him his due, last year was, as I recall, the best year we ever had.  We reached the tournament for the first time I can remember (coming out of the SEC isnt easy)

He lost several crucial players, his two top pitchers, and top hitters.  I am a little disappointed but give him some times before you have a stroke or declare him and his staff incompetent.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nationwish

When I was in college, I don't ever remember hearing about the softball team winning a game. I know they did win some, but I never heard about it. Every time I saw a score they had lost the game. Because of that I was surprised to see them be successful last year. They m ay have been ranked for awhile. Of course, I could be thinking of the soccer team, who was in a similar situation while I was there.

3kgthog

I'm so glad they built them one of the nicest softball facilities in the nation. They should've saved that cash and given it to gymnastics. At least they win and draw decent crowds. Oh well. I guess whatever donors want donors get.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 18, 2015, 10:22:28 pm
That was two years ago. Last year they didn't even qualify for the sec tourney

You are correct.  I stand corrected. As to the basic point of my reply to the ops thread, he has done a good job within the circumstances of what he has had to work with.  But it is also true that a significant financial investment has been made to help him. 

At some given point despite whatever success one has, if one regresses too much, then different decisions as to value have to be made.  I dont think this is the year to make the decision, but other people may decide different. If the team hasnt improved a great deal by years end, then, it might be time to reevaluate.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ballstothewall

The Razorbacks biggest problem seems to be keeping pitchers long enough for them to be Juniors and Seniors.

RS Sr at SAU
SR at UCA
JR at Lipscomb
SR at ULL
SR at Central Ok

Why do all the pitchers leave?

hawg1221

My favorite women's sport to watch is softball. My dream would be to have a consistent top 25 program in softball.

psycHOGlogist

Well, the team swept the tournament this weekend, improving their record to 7-7. There is still a lot of room for improvement, though, notably with the pitching. They really thought that Stewart, the freshman from KS, would be a true stud. So far, she has had her moments, but lacks the consistency to be a dominant staff ace.

The three go-to pitchers this year will be Stewart, Moll (sophomore) and Wright (sophomore). The other pitchers left either because of injury (Beasley - her back will not likely allow her ever to be as effective as she was as a sophomore) or because the incoming pitchers are better than they are. And that is definitely true - Young and Berlin were simply not SEC caliber.

The current roster has about 8 upperclassmen on it - so it's a VERY young team. It's going to be a struggle this year in the SEC, especially if the pitching stays inconsistent.

But about that -- all three of the main pitchers have GREAT stuff - they throw hard and they have good stuff. What they lack is control, and mental toughness. They struggle when they make mistakes, so that one walk frequently turns into a big inning, or a hit batter becomes a meltdown. An error leads to a walk, etc. The great pitchers will shake that off and just pitch through it, but these folks don't seem to be there yet. Moll struggled with this last year, too -- but when she is on, she is very tough to hit. Stewart seems to be trying to work through this, also. Wright is a bit more consistent.

With young players, you're going to have errors, also, which doesn't help the pitchers' confidence.

This year is a process and i think Larabee has the opportunity to show us what he can do to coach them up. I think he's done a really good job since he's been here, taking a program that was absolute rubbish and taking it, in a relatively short amount of time, to the NCAA's for two consecutive years.

kevinagee

Bad Weather again this weekend in Fayetteville may cancel another weekend of games for them or the re schedule to go play else where as they did for last weekend Tourney

pccmizuno24

http://www.muleriderathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=192&path=softball

need this dude. young energetic and a great coach.
Arkansas native as well. Used to play softball with him. Heck of a recruiter

yraciv

Quote from: pccmizuno24 on February 28, 2015, 08:38:38 pm
http://www.muleriderathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=192&path=softball

need this dude. young energetic and a great coach.
Arkansas native as well. Used to play softball with him. Heck of a recruiter

There is always someone who thinks the answer is a D2 coach that can jump into one of the most competitive conferences in D1. And it's not like SAU softball appears to be approaching anything close to a powerhouse.

pccmizuno24

Quote from: yraciv on February 28, 2015, 08:54:30 pm
There is always someone who thinks the answer is a D2 coach that can jump into one of the most competitive conferences in D1. And it's not like SAU softball appears to be approaching anything close to a powerhouse.

first year at SAU. its all about recruiting... and he has Larabee's best pitcher sitting out waiting to play for him. (kimmie beasley)
problem is the style larabee plays will never win in the sec.

psycHOGlogist

March 01, 2015, 01:23:04 am #14 Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:54:58 am by psycHOGlogist
Beasley is not Larabee's best pitcher. She is injured -- which is why she's taking a year off  at SAU-- and very unlikely to be able to pitch at the level she was during her outstanding sophomore year.

And Larabee's style won't win in the SEC? He went to the NCAAT two years in a row. His teams have great offense but he has not been able to land a stud pitcher. Beasley looked promising till her back gave out, and Stewart has potential (as do Moll and Wright). They are all underclassmen.

flippinhogmana

I don't have sufficient details to know its significance but the team is on an eight game winning streak and has improved from 3-7 to 11-7.  At least some of the teams they lost to for their seven losses are no better than what they have beaten of late.  As I said earlier, Larabee should be given the year I think before the war wagons come out against him in force.

hawg1221

Softball is my favorite women's sport also. I would love nothing more than to see this program succeed and be among the top teams in the SEC. I'm like a kid that's wanting their favorite toy for X-mas. That's how bad I want this to happen!

pccmizuno24

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 01, 2015, 01:23:04 am
Beasley is not Larabee's best pitcher. She is injured -- which is why she's taking a year off  at SAU-- and very unlikely to be able to pitch at the level she was during her outstanding sophomore year.

And Larabee's style won't win in the SEC? He went to the NCAAT two years in a row. His teams have great offense but he has not been able to land a stud pitcher. Beasley looked promising till her back gave out, and Stewart has potential (as do Moll and Wright). They are all underclassmen.
well he has the best facilities in the country and has a losing record at arkansas. he cant even finish better than 6th in the conference... dude has worn out his welcome

psycHOGlogist

Best facilities in the country - lol. The same thing that every disgruntled fan says. The facilities for softball are great, but they're not even the best in the SEC, never mind the country.

You do realize that he inherited a dumpster fire of a program that was completely non-competitive in the best softball conference in the country? Sixth in the SEC is very good - not good enough to be satisfied, but he has improved the program considerably from when he got here.

Now, is the the best person going forward? I honestly don't know. But Arkansas Softball couldn't even dream of the SEC tournament, let alone the NCAA tournament, before he got here.

Kevin

Every coach that is hired at Arkansas apparently takes over a dumpster fire
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

psycHOGlogist

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's always true. Some exceptions:

Dykes inherited a fairly decent situation. Though I thought it was time for Collen to go, the WBB program was in no way a "dumpster fire" situation.

Similarly, I don't think Robbie Pulliza inherited a particularly bad situation in the volleyball program. Poole's teams had underperformed for a few years, but we were still solidly competitive in the SEC West.

Colby Hale inherited a pretty bad situation in women's soccer, but I don't think it was extraordinarily bad, especially not given the historic mediocrity of the soccer program here.

But of course, lots of times coaches do inherit really bad situations. Mike Anderson and Bret Bielema leap to mind.

pccmizuno24

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 01, 2015, 01:23:04 am

beasley is inelgible academically ! thats why she is sitting out

Oklahawg

NE OK has a lot of great girls softball being played. More than enough for OU, TU, and OSU to get some and UA grab others. It is not unheard of to have NE OK players sign with Auburn, Bama, etc. Happens almost every year - UA needs to be nabbing those.

I think the staff has the attention of the better talent in the state.

Not sure, but I would presume that one of the problems with women's sports is directly related to the status of HS-level sports in-state.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 16, 2015, 07:22:48 pm
NE OK has a lot of great girls softball being played. More than enough for OU, TU, and OSU to get some and UA grab others. It is not unheard of to have NE OK players sign with Auburn, Bama, etc. Happens almost every year - UA needs to be nabbing those.

I think the staff has the attention of the better talent in the state.

Not sure, but I would presume that one of the problems with women's sports is directly related to the status of HS-level sports in-state.

Nah, doubt there has ever been a gymnast in the state, it's recruiting.

psycHOGlogist

Watching the series with Texas on tv, and man, it's brutal. Our offense is fine, but our pitching is not very good, and the defense is criminally bad. Not sure why Larabee is not playing Fagan this series (injury?), but Harrison, the backup SS, has just been incredibly bad. Four errors in one game last night. That cannot be the best alternative we have.

No Stewart at all in the circle this series either. Not sure if injured or coach's decision. But man, this is just hard to watch for a team that was very good two years ago.

pccmizuno24

falls on Larabee in terms of recruiting! Dude cant recruit! Rumor has it he may be looking for a new gig this summer

psycHOGlogist

Not going to defend Larabee overall, but there are talented players on the roster. Maybe not in all the right places, though. I really hope they can "age up" the youngsters pretty fast, or it's going to be a loooooong SEC season.

softballdad2118

Forget girls in oklahoma..you got girls going to Bama, mizzou, Oregon and Tulsa..all top 25 teams to begin the year..I would start by getting those kids

jdlittle

End of year results may tell the tale/  might have new coach next year.  softball is ALL about the pitchin!!!   AD made a move in basketball although i thought he should have been gone long ago, however he made the right move with Coach Dykes.  I bet he does also with softball.  would be fun to be relevant. 

softballdad2118

Need to get better pitching for sure, but whoever the coach is he needs to recruit the best players in the state...lock the state down and cherry pick from Texas, Cali, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana.

Amityvillehogger

I've never understood why you have your most dangerous hitter and career HR leader batting lead off? Can anyone explain that to me?
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

psycHOGlogist

Her on-base percentage is insane due to her high number of walks. Get em on base and move 'em around.

I hear you, though, about her power.

pccmizuno24

Georgia took us to the woodshed! Wasn't even close!

softballdad2118

I do not see how it will be possible for this staff to retain their jobs, assuming he is fired...who should be hired?

pccmizuno24

Quote from: softballdad2118 on March 22, 2015, 06:56:14 am
I do not see how it will be possible for this staff to retain their jobs, assuming he is fired...who should be hired?

Long has made good hires so far so He would probably get someone from a Mid major to take over!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 19, 2015, 11:26:20 pm
I've never understood why you have your most dangerous hitter and career HR leader batting lead off? Can anyone explain that to me?
Only thing I come up with it gives her a chance to get more at bats. 

JackJohnson

Quote from: softballdad2118 on March 22, 2015, 06:56:14 am

Here are some names.  Just a shot in the dark of course, but I really like Allister the most as she has Minn 23-4 and ranked 15th this year in addition to what she has done in her bio the previous 4 years there

Jessica Allister- Minn.  She is from Tex and got her first coaching job in the SEC at UGA
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-softbl/mtt/jessica_allister_761108.html

John Bargfeldt- Tulsa.  Been there 9 years and has been a regular in NCAA tourney
http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/w-softbl/mtt/john_bargfeldt_208718.html

Megan Smith- Kansas.  Former assistant at LSU
http://www.kuathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=850&path=softball

psycHOGlogist

Interesting choices, JackJohnson. Thanks!

softballdad2118

Out of those choices I would take the Minnesota coach however she would take top dollar and Im not sure UA wants to pay top dollar in softball. I would also look at top assistants like Trip Mckay or Lombardi at OU, to me this team has position players but lacks elite pitching. If you can get a big name top flight pitching coach tbats the way to go for the next head coach..imo

jackflash

I could go with Smith. Maybe she would bring her pitching coach Simms

SPAL

I haven't followed the softball team at all. But I would like to start going to some games when the baseball team is away. Baseball is my first love, over football and basketball. Now, I love all of them and I support women's basketball....but, I would love to get into the softball program.

I support all things Arkansas. Somebody help me get started. Are games fun to go to?

JackJohnson

Quote from: softballdad2118 on March 28, 2015, 08:58:53 am
Out of those choices I would take the Minnesota coach however she would take top dollar and Im not sure UA wants to pay top dollar in softball. I would also look at top assistants like Trip Mckay or Lombardi at OU, to me this team has position players but lacks elite pitching. If you can get a big name top flight pitching coach tbats the way to go for the next head coach..imo

I wonder what Allister is making now?  All I could find on it was from back in 2010 when she was hired where she was making 116k.  No doubt she is making quite a bit more now- but how much is the question

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/150259325.html

I found this- as of 2013 it is showing her "base" salary is 93k- up from 89 in the above link.  However the "fringe" isn't shown so no telling what that is now but she should at least be making 120k.  You have to sort by university of Minnesota, select year 2013 and type in her last name

http://extra.twincities.com/car/salaries/default.aspx

Larabee is making 125k- so he is already making a "top dollar" salary it seems.  Now would we be willing to pay MORE?  I guess it depends on how much Long values Softball I suppose

http://www.arkansasonline.com/right2know/colleges/?appSession=228500883373681

softballdad2118

Whoever they hire needs to recruit the state better, we cannot continue to lose players to Oregon, Alabama, Tulsa and Missouri

psycHOGlogist

Another bad performance in the circle against Tulsa this week. I was pleased to see that Stewart got another chance to pitch in relief -- where had she been?! Injured? Coach's decision?

She did okay - 3 K's in 2.2 innings (the other 2 pitchers had none in 3 innings) and allowed only 1 earned run (and 1 unearned). Overall, the defense committed 3 errors leading to 4 unearned runs.

Sigh.

GroundHawg

0-11 in SEC. Larabee should've been sent packing a long time ago. When you only let a select few (starters) take batting practice, and do not develop your team what would you expect? You have your shortstop get hurt -- no depth is a prime example.  You can't just take any player and move them to new positions - for example, outfielders that have never played it. No emphasis on defense over the years has cost them. Emphasis on hitters trying to hit home runs (batting players hitting below 100 consistently) - instead of playing better players has also cost them. Incompetent in a number of areas on and off the field. Time is past due for a change.

Sueie

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 06, 2015, 09:24:47 am
0-11 in SEC. Larabee should've been sent packing a long time ago. When you only let a select few (starters) take batting practice, and do not develop your team what would you expect? You have your shortstop get hurt -- no depth is a prime example.  You can't just take any player and move them to new positions - for example, outfielders that have never played it. No emphasis on defense over the years has cost them. Emphasis on hitters trying to hit home runs (batting players hitting below 100 consistently) - instead of playing better players has also cost them. Incompetent in a number of areas on and off the field. Time is past due for a change.

I am hearing that they are thinking about hiring the Crowder JUCO AD who has a daughter on the softball team.  You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!! 

softballdad2118

I dont know who will be hired but Coach Sisemore is a damn fine coach....Wonder how those high school coaches Freeze and Malzahn have done...hmmm

Sueie

Malzahn did not START as a head coach in the SEC.

psycHOGlogist

Hiring a JC coach would be quite a departure from Jeff Long's normal pattern of hiring thus far. He has either hired senior assistants from DI teams (Pulliza, Hale), coaches with previous DI HC experience (Larabee, Schimmel), or sports broadcasters. ;-)

No info about Sisemore and no opinion, just saying that it would not be the kind of women's sports hire Long has made to this point.

GroundHawg

Make that 0-12 in SEC. If you haven't looked at SEC stats you should. It is almost unbelievable, we are last or next to last in almost every major category and I am sure tonight's game won't improve our standing.

Runs scored - Auburn 378 (1st) Arkansas 155 (last)
Runs allowed - LSU 63 (1st) Arkansas 213 (last)

Not even competitive.