Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Dykes head women's bball coach

Started by bulldog04, March 30, 2014, 10:05:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

This hire has me posting about women's basketball and I detest the sport.  Reminds of watching men play the sport with their off-hand.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

snoblind

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 31, 2014, 10:35:21 am
My thoughts exactly.  Our last 2 HC's had experience and failed.  Suzie more so than Tom.  Collen's resume was that of a guy that coached at mid major and high level, had success at both and was a former assistant here and yet he could not excite the fan base, could not get over the hump and could not keep some of the high level talent in state.

With the level that attendance had sunk to trying something a bit crazy or unexpected is low risk.  In one day this hire has sparked more interest in WBB than any hire short of Geno, Mulkey, or Blair.

It may work it may fail, but I'm intrigued by the hire

What's really amusing is some actually think the we could have hired one of those 3.  Of course, those types probably don't donate a dime and would have expected those of us who donate to Football, Men's basketball, and baseball to pony up more coin to pay for that.

I don't have girls, but I'm also intrigued by the hire.  I will pay more attention than I would have with any other hire to see how it turns out.

Cresthog

multiple 4-5 page threads on woman's basketball?

Hiring him was obviously good.

Tim

ricepig

Sounds like she is just interested in his membership dues......

Porked Tongue

More like their clique got busted.  When you get right down to it, who gives a flip what they think.  Why are those that have "paid their dues" without big jobs already?  Why is it on the UA to hire them?

It's not volunteer work.

jesterzzn

What is the biggest reason for Arkansas not being a decent women's program?

We let the top talent leave the state -- Dykes is about as good of a choice as any I can think of to prevent that from happening.  He has close personal connections to many of the best talent producing schools in the state.

Look, I won't pretend that I know the women's game, but I do know how the wheels are greased in college sports.  Dykes will recruit.  He will keep local talent in the state.  He will have a fundamentally sound team.  And if he does those three things the girls will win games. 

Talent. Passion. Fundamentals.  Those are universal in the world of sports.

Will they win the SEC?  Maybe not.  But they will be better than they have been.  I have full confidence of that.

Oh, and just because I know people 'round here and how they think, search my posts for 'dykes' and you'll notice I'm not exactly a fan of his.

Westcoasthog

Jimmy Dykes will WIN, and he will RECRUIT 6 STAR PLUS.

hoglady

Listened to Dykes on Bo's show today.
He's passionate I will say that - and he's a great ambassador for the University.
I've taken a step back from where I was last night and will just hope that Dykes can pull this off.
I plan to drive up for the first women's home game this year and hope many of you will, too. If Dykes is going to put that much time and effort to rally this fanbase I will do my part.
And I will have my butt in a seat at Verizon for every game of every session for the SEC women's tourney.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GioB26

Did Long interview Heath and/or Pelphrey for WBB?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: baumsquad on March 31, 2014, 09:57:27 am
Faldon and Irwin all over it!! DUMB HIRE...
Never said it was a dumb hire. I can see the argument for not doing it but it's women's basketball and there's no way Long can lose. If Dykes succeeds Long looks smarter than Abe Lincoln. If Dykes fails most fans will shrug their shoulders and go back to worrying about football and men's basketball.

Dugann

I like Dykes, I love listening to him even though he has to try to be neutral u can tell and know he a hog.

I wish him the best, I hope he knocks it out of the park.  I think he has the back ground to do so.

I do however, think that there was a huge gem that we should have gotten, a guy that has proven it on ever level and is a Icon.  He should get his shot.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

hoglady

Quote from: Dugann on March 31, 2014, 07:40:43 pm
I like Dykes, I love listening to him even though he has to try to be neutral u can tell and know he a hog.

I wish him the best, I hope he knocks it out of the park.  I think he has the back ground to do so.

I do however, think that there was a huge gem that we should have gotten, a guy that has proven it on ever level and is a Icon.  He should get his shot.

If he's gonna get his shot at a big program it obviously won't be at the UofA.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: hoglady on March 31, 2014, 06:21:55 pm
Listened to Dykes on Bo's show today.
He's passionate I will say that - and he's a great ambassador for the University.
I've taken a step back from where I was last night and will just hope that Dykes can pull this off.
I plan to drive up for the first women's home game this year and hope many of you will, too. If Dykes is going to put that much time and effort to rally this fanbase I will do my part.
And I will have my butt in a seat at Verizon for every game of every session for the SEC women's tourney.

This is a great post. I've got some mixed feelings about the hire, but probably wasn't as down on it as you were yesterday. Great that you can keep your mind open (enough) to support the hire and wish him well. I'm impressed and a little bit inspired!

Fatty McGee

Houston Nutt loved the Hogs and was passionate about the state.  Those things matter so little when hiring a coach.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hoglady

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 31, 2014, 08:58:26 pm
This is a great post. I've got some mixed feelings about the hire, but probably wasn't as down on it as you were yesterday. Great that you can keep your mind open (enough) to support the hire and wish him well. I'm impressed and a little bit inspired!

Well, the complete shock of it all has worn off a little.
I know that if Dykes can be a successful coach we'll see support for the women's program like we've never seen before. That's a big, huge IF.
But if it happens it will be wonderful for the young women in this state.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 31, 2014, 09:49:47 pm
Houston Nutt loved the Hogs and was passionate about the state.  Those things matter so little when hiring a coach.
Sometimes they do matter.  Just one more variable to consider.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Mike Irwin

Jimmy loves the Hogs and is passionate about the state. Houston Nutt loved the fact that he was the coach of the Hogs and was passionate about hanging onto his job.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 01, 2014, 01:54:51 am
Jimmy loves the Hogs and is passionate about the state. Houston Nutt loved the fact that he was the coach of the Hogs and was passionate about hanging onto his job.

Mike Irwin dropping Truth Bombs.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Inhogswetrust

Really? Then why scurry off to Stillwater in the middle of the night and not even have the courage to tell your head coach. Also where does he live now? It isn't Arkansas (thank goodness).
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SouthFloridaHog

He did recruit a U of A cheerleader (that is 20 years younger) to be his wife and have his child.  I will give him a chance to coach.
Is it duck season?