Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Dykes head women's bball coach

Started by bulldog04, March 30, 2014, 10:05:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog04

Espn just said Dykes has become the head Lady Back!

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

gohogs1969

wow, that came out of nowhere! It did seem like listening to him occasionally that he was tired of all the travel working for ESPN.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Hoggish1

farmhawg

Surely we are not paying him what he is making at espin.......
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Choctaw Hog

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 30, 2014, 10:12:21 am
Could be a great move for UA... 

Could being the important word........

LZH

What it the world would make him wanna do that?

ricepig

online-with-swine

May be a stupid question; but, has he coached before?  ???

WilsonHog

Confirmed by Jeff Long.

@jefflongUA: "Please join me in welcoming our new Head Women's Basketball Coach @JimmyDykesLive tonight at 6:30 Bud Walton Arena!"

ricepig

Quote from: KnilesKankle on March 30, 2014, 10:17:53 am

Pretty sure he was on Sutton's staff at Kentucky.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

hoggusamoungus

goodguytex

Quote from: KnilesKankle on March 30, 2014, 10:17:53 am
Might wanna check his coaching bio... He has served as assistant coach at Kentucky, and at Oklahoma state. And wS on Seattle supersonics staff in some way, I think as a scout.

Hawgphish

ESPN is infamous for paying their people low and working them hard. 

oreo

Thought he was an assistant under Nolan, guess not. Can't help wondering why Collins (edit opps meant Foley) has been passed over twice now? Maybe he just wasn't interested. Sorry to say not thrilled with the hire, like him just not as analyst or coach but hopefully I am wrong

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Fatty McGee

Can hiring an arky who loves the helmet and has limited coaching experience but a rah rah attitude ever be a bad decision?  In the most powerful conference? 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

farmhawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 10:32:51 am
Can hiring an arky who loves the helmet and has limited coaching experience but a rah rah attitude ever be a bad decision?  In the most powerful conference? 
We just don't learn from our mistakes.....
From theflyinghog

tophawg19

yes . in the toughest conference and we hire a coach with no H/C experience . one who has been away from ball for several years

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2014, 10:16:16 am
Dykes, or Long?

Ha!  Yeah, good point.  I like Dykes, a lot actually, but WTH?

goodguytex

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 30, 2014, 10:29:37 am
Major mistake by Dykes. 
Could be, or could be a stroke of genius if he makes a success of it. A lot of what will determine his success or lack thereof is if he doesn't let his own ego and pride get in the way. If he stays humble, and adapts to what the opponent does, and teaches, and strives for perfection, he could be very successful.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: farmhawg on March 30, 2014, 10:34:33 am
We just don't learn from our mistakes.....

Oh he might do well. I expect he will do the work necessary. I don't care for him as an announcer but he seems to do his research. The women's basketball program has been like the football program. Brief flashes of greatness but not a place to sustain long term success.

3kgthog

This screams of a buddy hire and cash savings move.

ricepig

Hawgey-Davidson

Sit back and think about this hire. If you think Jimmy cant teach and coach this game of basketball you've been living under a rock. I'm not a big fan of womens basketball but am a fan of all things Razorbacks. IMHO this is a great hire for the womens program. Out of the blue hire again for Jeff Long. Makes perfect sense to me. Not only will this energize our womens BB program but a less than casual fan base towards Ladyback basketball. Jimmy will win here and win big. Just my 2 cents. What say you?

Hogtied85

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on March 30, 2014, 11:19:56 am
Sit back and think about this hire. If you think Jimmy cant teach and coach this game of basketball you've been living under a rock. I'm not a big fan of womens basketball but am a fan of all things Razorbacks. IMHO this is a great hire for the womens program. Out of the blue hire again for Jeff Long. Makes perfect sense to me. Not only will this energize our womens BB program but a less than casual fan base towards Ladyback basketball. Jimmy will win here and win big. Just my 2 cents. What say you?

I am shocked but wow what a great hire

tophawg19

Jimmy hasn't coached in 23 years . let's just hope he can find the best assistants to help, He has been around some of the best coaches so maybe he can find the good ones

Pickwick Hog

Yep. I like the hire and fully expect most of Hogville to poo-poo it. If Long hired Kim Mulkey the brainiacs here would claim she is too short to coach on this level.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

hoghiker

Put me in the shocked WTH pack. Curveball in a fastball league. Hope not. I like Dykes but this seems more catchy than prudent.

Mike Irwin

It's a totally different sport. Ask Nolan.

There's no way anybody can know if Dykes can pull this off. Not even him. To me it's a real shot in the dark.

What kind of a recruiter will he be? Does the ESPN connection help him recruit?

One thing he's got working in his favor, he doesn't have to do a total rebuilding job. There is some talent on that team. Also it would hard to do any worse than Collen. So there's that.

Choctaw Hog

If you think Jimmy cant teach and coach this game of basketball you've been living under a rock.

Since he hasn't been a head coach before nobody, including me and you, know for certain that Dykes can successfully teach and coach women's basketball. I'm fine with giving him a chance but how in the hell can you claim that anybody that doesn't think he can coach is "living under a rock"?

An indisputable fact is that Dykes has no proven track record as a head coach and anybody who thinks he will be an automatic success, just because he frequently talks over his co-announcers and is critical more often than not of players, play, etc., must be living under a rock with their head up their A$$.  I hope Dykes works out for the Hogs but he certainly isn't proven or a "slam-dunk" hire. 

Fatty McGee

So Gruden is NOT getting the job, correct?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 10:32:51 am

Nice Nutty analogy..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bulldog04 on March 30, 2014, 10:05:54 am
Espn just said Dykes has become the head Lady Back!

Good thread on this started earlier in Jump Ball.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawgzinbowlz

Rollin' the dice.

Women's basketball will get a little more coverage with Mattingly.

" GO HOGS "

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 11:53:05 am
Good thread on this started earlier in Jump Ball.

Actually the thread in JB was started at 10:14, this one at 10:05, so......

Hawgey-Davidson

Hey Choctaw, I didnt say he was proven or a "slam dunk" hire and
that is an indisputable fact. Sorry to upset your breakfast.

tophawg19

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2014, 11:30:42 am

There's no way anybody can know if Dykes can pull this off. Not even him. To me it's a real shot in the dark.

One thing he's got working in his favor, he doesn't have to do a total rebuilding job. There is some talent on that team. Also it would hard to do any worse than Collen. So there's that.
[/quote    good job putting it in words . I think there are better available but he is our guy so we have to support him and hope for the best

Boarcephus

Quote from: goodguytex on March 30, 2014, 10:37:22 am
Could be, or could be a stroke of genius if he makes a success of it. A lot of what will determine his success or lack thereof is if he doesn't let his own ego and pride get in the way. If he stays humble, and adapts to what the opponent does, and teaches, and strives for perfection, he could be very successful.

This whole deal reminds me of conversation between Darrell Royal and John Brodie after Brodie had retired from the NFL.  Royal was having one of his benefit golf tournaments and Brodie entered it.  Royal asked him what he was doing there and Brodie told him he was getting ready for the Senior Tour.  Royal asked him if he'd ever earned any money playing golf and Brodie said no and Royal then said how do you expect to earn money playing a game against guys who have been doing all their lives?

I like Dykes.  He's been a great proponent for the UofA but I think he's in over his head in a cutthroat game he's not really been training to play.  JMHO
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: oreo on March 30, 2014, 10:29:23 am
Thought he was an assistant under Nolan, guess not. Can't help wondering why Collins (edit opps meant Foley) has been passed over twice now? Maybe he just wasn't interested. Sorry to say not thrilled with the hire, like him just not as analyst or coach but hopefully I am wrong

Foley was imterested and I believe he is a top 5 coach in the womens game.

Another major hiring Blunder by Jeff Long. At some point, the chickens will come hom to.roost for Mr. Long....although his minions will be along shortly to tell us how this is a genius move....

PRJ

ricepig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 30, 2014, 12:04:50 pm
Foley was imterested and I believe he is a top 5 coach in the womens game.

Another major hiring Blunder by Jeff Long. At some point, the chickens will come hom to.roost for Mr. Long....although his minions will be along shortly to tell us how this is a genius move....

PRJ

So, put you down as a contributor to the ad in the ADG today?

tophawg19

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on March 30, 2014, 11:36:28 am
Since he hasn't been a head coach before nobody, including me and you, know for certain that Dykes can successfully teach and coach women's basketball. I'm fine with giving him a chance but how in the hell can you claim that anybody that doesn't think he can coach is "living under a rock"?

An indisputable fact is that Dykes has no proven track record as a head coach and anybody who thinks he will be an automatic success, just because he frequently talks over his co-announcers and is critical more often than not of players, play, etc., must be living under a rock with their head up their A$$.  I hope Dykes works out for the Hogs but he certainly isn't proven or a “slam-dunk” hire. 

you know your supposed to support the coach no matter what . logic can't be applied here . I would feel better if he hadn't left coaching about the same time JFB  did . maybe after 23 years he has a fresh new outlook

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2014, 11:30:42 am

Mike, I hope in whatever format you have available to you that you will question Jeff Longs hiring practice with this move. I hope you will get the opportunity to ask Jeff to his face the tough questions regarding this mind numbing move...why he would pass over a top 5 coach and ace recruiter in the womens game for Jimmy Dykes. Just because of his UofA ties? Was he wooed perhaps by another love letter?

Long is fixing to have some heat applied to him IMO.

PRJ

Dr. Starcs

Auriemma did at Uconn and Summitt did at Tennessee.

elksnort

I hope he does well.  I know that he knows the game of basketball, but will thus be enough to win?

Another thought about this is, "Do enough people care about women's basketball for this hire to even matter?"