Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Women's bball

Started by c-townfan, January 13, 2014, 04:17:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

c-townfan

Maybe some on here don't care about women's bball but I felt like commenting nonetheless. Yet again we schedule a very lack nonconference schedule and remain unscathed going into SEC play, only to start out pitifully in conference. We got beat at home to an unranked Mississippi State team Sunday and have started conference play 1-3. Why do we always nosedive? A lack in quality OOC games the only reason?

hogman64

January 13, 2014, 10:03:31 pm #2 Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:24:06 am by hogman64
Very few people care about razorback women's basketball, first of all you can tell because hardly anyone goes to the games..........also  look at this forum you can check this forum everyday and read all new posts in 2 minutes or less
no one cares and why should they there doesn't seem to be any committment to winning , the team sucks year after year, I don't really even know why I care.. I  kept up with the Lady Hogs when Blair was here and wish we could have another team that  is good enough to go to a final four.. .but we are not good year after year.

mhuff

I remember when Broyles took over as AD. I said," Well, here goes another coach looking after football to the exclusion of all other sports." I was really wrong. Basketball really took off..... mens and womens. Track back then ws winning everything. I was a tennis player in college, so I followed the tennis team. Baseball, moreover, was in a holding pattern. Now golf has been coming on both..... men and womens. To make a long story longer. I support the UA athletics .... no matter which sport or gender. I have coached AAU basketball ,and I have held the view that the women outshot the men from the FT line. It is going to force me to look up some stats.

I was been following the Lady Razorbacks BB. Too bad they did not get all that fabulous instate talent last year. The men are in a similar scenario the next two years on BB talent. I am hoping for different results.

Hogtied85

January 14, 2014, 12:11:45 pm #4 Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:38:50 pm by Hogtired10
Quote from: mhuff on January 14, 2014, 10:12:29 am
I remember when Broyles took over as AD. I said," Well, here goes another coach looking after football to the exclusion of all other sports." I was really wrong. Basketball really took off..... mens and womens. Track back then ws winning everything. I was a tennis player in college, so I followed the tennis team. Baseball, moreover, was in a holding pattern. Now golf has been coming on both..... men and womens. To make a long story longer. I support the UA athletics .... no matter which sport or gender. I have coached AAU basketball ,and I have held the view that the women outshot the men from the FT line. It is going to force me to look up some stats.

I was been following the Lady Razorbacks BB. Too bad they did not get all that fabulous instate talent last year. The men are in a similar scenario the next two years on BB talent. I am hoping for different results.

Someone made a comment about the Arkansas Basketball Teams and the lack of facilities. Just wanted to point out that 1994 Mens Team won the National Championship and did not have practice gym then. The women went to the Final Four in 1998 without a practice gym. Collen had practice facilities at Louisville where he left to come here and he did no better there than he's doing here. The reason why no one cares about the Women's Program is because no one likes the coach we have and second people are still bitter about Blair's dismissal. Until our current coach is gone and arkansas decides to bring in a winning coach with a championship mentality the result will be the same. You have to recruit in this league. We have some good players that I think will benefit from a coaching change. Keira Peak and Jhasmin Bowen are WNBA calibur players but they are not being coached as such. But that is just my opinion. Booster have asked Coach several times why we don't have big girls to help out in the post? His response was that we can't find any in the state. Regardless of the statement he made, I do however find it hard to believe he could not find some big girls in the country. The issue is no one wants to come here. This is his 7th year at Arkansas and what has his accomplished besides being SEC coach of the Year one time? How many top 25 recruiting classes, how many players of the year, and first team all SEC, home many conference titles and how many NCAA tournament births. The writing is on the wall. The only reason he is still here is because Jeff Long extended his contract. I bet he is regretting that decision a little bit. But Collen will probably resign before being fired.
By the way, Blair had more people his games. So people do care but people don't care mediocrity

#DOTHEMATH #GETACLUE

Westcoasthog

The  CAUSE AND THE EFFECT is that Bev Lewis the then women's Athletic Director along with the Corrupt then Chancellor John White would not renew
Gary Blairs contract.  His wife is still at the University of Arkansas teaching. Gary Blair told me personally that he will retire in Fayetteville and Northwest
Arkansas.  They still have a home in Fayetteville.  As you already know he coached Texas A & M to a National Title.  When he was at Arkansas the Lady Backs were in the Final Four.  Had the contract been renewed I am  sure that Gary Blair would have coached the Lady Backs to a National Title.

buttons10

Needs to learn to develop a bench and stop playing players 40 minutes expecting them to score or play defense at the end of a game. That's why some of the starters are scoring four and 5 points and playing 40 minutes. He has the talent but you can't play your starters 40 minutes every SEC game. trust in what you recruited.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Westcoasthog on January 14, 2014, 01:12:48 pm
    The  CAUSE AND THE EFFECT is that Bev Lewis the then women's Athletic Director along with the Corrupt then Chancellor John White would not renew
Gary Blairs contract.  His wife is still at the University of Arkansas teaching. Gary Blair told me personally that he will retire in Fayetteville and Northwest
Arkansas.  They still have a home in Fayetteville.  As you already know he coached Texas A & M to a National Title.  When he was at Arkansas the Lady Backs were in the Final Four.  Had the contract been renewed I am  sure that Gary Blair would have coached the Lady Backs to a National Title.
YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!  GARY BLAIR COULD NEVER HAVE WON A NATIONAL TITLE HERE.  HE FINISHED ONLY ONCE BETTER THAN A .500 RECORD - COLLEN HAS DONE THAT.  BLAIR WAS INCREDIBLY LUCKY IN ADDITION TO DOING A GEAT JOB COACHING US TO THE FINAL 4.  WHY DO I SAY LUCKY.  STANFORD WAS A # 1 SEED IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT.  THEY PLAYED # 16 SEED HARVARD IN THE FIRST GAME OF THE TOURNAMENT WITHOUT THEIR ALL ALMERICAN PLAYER WHO WAS LOST FOR THE SEASON IN THE LAST GAME BEFORE POST SEASON. HARVARD HAD ONE GREAT PLAYER AND UPSET THEM.  THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME IN THE HISTORY OF EITHER THE MEN'S OR WOMEN'S TOURNAMENT THAT A 16 SEED UPSET A # 1 SEED - THIS WAS ACTUALLY DONE ON THE #1 SEEDS HOME COURT.  # 9 SEED ARKANSAS WON THEIR GAME AND THE REST WAS HISTORY.  IF STANFORD WAS AT FULL STRENGHT, WE WOULD HAVE LOST IN THE SECOND ROUND.  STANFORD WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FINAL FOUR AND MAYBE EVEN BEAT TENNESSEE WHO WE LOST TO BY A SCORE OF 86 - 58 - WE WERE NEVER IN THE GAME.  I WAS THERE - WERE YOU?  ONE WOULD HOPE THAT A FINAL FOUR SUCCESS WOULD BE FOLLOWED BY SUCCESS .  SEC RECORD 98 -99 WAS 5 - 9 -11TH PLACE IN THE SEC & A FIRST ROUND LOSS IN THE SEC TOURNAMENT.  SURE WE WON THE WNIT WITH MOST OF THE TEAM THAT WENT TO THE FINAL FOUR EXCEPT FOR CHRISTY SMITH, BUT WE ONLY DID THAT BECAUSE BEV LEWIS WHO YOU ALL HATE PAID TO LET GARY HAVE HOME GAMES FOR THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT.  FANS REWARDED THE TEAM FOR THEIR FINAL FOUR YEAR BY SUPPORTING THEM.  JEFF LONG LETS TOM GET A FIRST ROUND GAME IN THE WNIT AND THEN WE HAVE TO GO ON THE ROAD TO SOUTHEAST MISSOUR & POWERHOUSE ORAL ROBERTS  & ILLINOIS STATE - THANKS JEFF FOR NO SUPPORT.  GARY BLAIR WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT OF HERE A LOT EARLIER IF HE HAD THE SUPPORT THAT JEFF LONG IS GIVING TOM COLLEN.  NO TOP NOTCH COACH WOULD EVER COME HERE WITH THE CURRENT SUPPORT THAT THEY GET FROM THIS MENS ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT!  THE YEAR AFTER OUR FINAL FOUR AND WNIT CHAMPIONSHIP YEARS, WE FINISHED IN THE SEC WITH A 4 - 10 RECORD AND A 10TH PLACE FINISH OUT OF 12 TEAMS.  HOW CAN ALL OF YOU GARY BLAIR SUPPORTERS FORGET THESE BARE YEARS?  I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SMOKING.  WE WERE BETTER THE NEXT THREE YEARS BECAUSE WE HAD SHAMEKA CHRISTIAN THOSE THREE YEARS, BUT OUR SEC RECORD WAS NEVER BETTER THAN .500 & WE NEVER GOT FURTHER THAN WINNING THE FIRST GAME IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT!  THAT DOES NOT REPRESENT A TEAM THAT WAS EVER CLOSE TO WINNING A NATIONAL TITLE HERE.  I GUARANTEE YOU THAT WE WILL BE BETTER THAN THAT THE NEXT THREE YEARS AFTER THESE FRESHMAN GET ONE YEAR UNDER THEIR BELT IN THE SEC! :razorback:

Science Fiction Greg

Nice caps.

I was at the following games you mentioned in your post:

Harvard defeating #1 seed Stanford at Stanford
Arkansas defeating Hawaii, Harvard, Kansas, and Duke to get to the Final Four.
I was also at the Final Four game where we lost to Tennessee.

I also watched Gary Blair...we'll just say struggle with his nerves in the evenings at the team hotel (bar) during that trip. :)
Great guy, though.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Corndog7 on January 14, 2014, 07:19:38 pm
Nice caps.

I was at the following games you mentioned in your post:

Harvard defeating #1 seed Stanford at Stanford
Arkansas defeating Hawaii, Harvard, Kansas, and Duke to get to the Final Four.
I was also at the Final Four game where we lost to Tennessee.

I also watched Gary Blair...we'll just say struggle with his nerves in the evenings at the team hotel (bar) during that trip. :)
Great guy, though.
Don't disagree with anything you said.  I would have loved to have bee n at all those games.  I was there when there bus came in after winning on the west coast.  I bought Direct TV so that I could watch all of those games on TV as we did not have cable where we live at the time.  I am not saying that Gary was not a great guy and a great coach and did wonderful things for the women's basketball program.  What I am saying is that I do not think Tom Collen is a horrible coach.  I think he has come into a situation that was a lot different than Gary operated under.  I also clearly recognize that GARY WAS MUCH MORE FORWARD IN GOING TO THE COMMUNITY AND GAINING SUPPORT FOR THE PROGRAM.  I REALLY MISS THAT WITH GARY.  HE WAS REPLACED BY SUZIE AND SHE DID NOT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT NOR DOES TOM.  THAT HAS AS MUCH TO DO WITH OUR LACK OF SUPPORT TODAY AS THE LESS THAN DESIREABLE SUCCESS ON THE COURT WHICH I ALSO AGREE WITH.

Hogtied85

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 15, 2014, 06:17:09 am
Don't disagree with anything you said.  I would have loved to have bee n at all those games.  I was there when there bus came in after winning on the west coast.  I bought Direct TV so that I could watch all of those games on TV as we did not have cable where we live at the time.  I am not saying that Gary was not a great guy and a great coach and did wonderful things for the women's basketball program.  What I am saying is that I do not think Tom Collen is a horrible coach.  I think he has come into a situation that was a lot different than Gary operated under.  I also clearly recognize that GARY WAS MUCH MORE FORWARD IN GOING TO THE COMMUNITY AND GAINING SUPPORT FOR THE PROGRAM.  I REALLY MISS THAT WITH GARY.  HE WAS REPLACED BY SUZIE AND SHE DID NOT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT NOR DOES TOM.  THAT HAS AS MUCH TO DO WITH OUR LACK OF SUPPORT TODAY AS THE LESS THAN DESIREABLE SUCCESS ON THE COURT WHICH I ALSO AGREE WITH.

I totally agree with that. You have to get support from the community. That would probably explain the reputation the hogs have. Someone should have done their homework before hiring this guy,

jabberjawls

So how is Tom Collen's 31-55 SEC record over the last 5 years better?????

Hog fan

Quote from: jabberjawls on January 15, 2014, 11:31:29 am
So how is Tom Collen's 31-55 SEC record over the last 5 years better?????

Not defending the record but Gary Blair's SEC record for his first 5 years was 20-35. 

jabberjawls

So, I guess he's doing fine, then.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

hawgwatcher

I won't comment on his record. I was a fan of Blair myself. I will say I was thrilled he was able to sign Jessica Jackson, who will break all records at the U of A before her career is over (barring injury or transfer). McKenzie Adams is a shooter as well. Both of these ladies are freshmen. So hopefully as they grow and mature the team will as well. I've seen spurts of great play followed by a lot of freshman mistakes. We'll see what kind of coach Collen is with this group. He has as much talent as any roster in the SEC, but they're all straight out of high school. He will have to teach the game to succeed. If he can't win by Jackson's junior year then he shouldn't be allowed to coach ever again.
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing"- Vince Lombardi

wbbfan32

This is a young team. Only one senior on the entire roster. We need to stay behind this team, especially on Sunday when they must win against Ole Miss at home

BigChief14

Quote from: wbbfan32 on January 17, 2014, 08:19:13 am
This is a young team. Only one senior on the entire roster.

Whose fault is that??

wbbfan32

???
Quote from: BigChief14 on January 17, 2014, 09:26:30 am
Whose fault is that??

Natures? Lost 4 seniors, one who decided not to suit, and another to transfer. You can't please every player. Some people just aren't suited to play for Arkansas or simply are not interested.

jabberjawls

Losers always have excuses and their motto is, "wait'll next year!"

wbbfan32

Quote from: jabberjawls on January 17, 2014, 11:21:24 am
Losers always have excuses and their motto is, "wait'll next year!"

For the men's game it would be an excuse. If you have watched the women's game year after year then you would know the most successful teams have veteran leaders that contribute on a nightly basis. Once again I am not saying we shouldn't have won those games. All I am trying to say is the team is young and I still believe they will eventually learn to win.

BigChief14

Quote from: wbbfan32 on January 17, 2014, 11:27:56 am
All I am trying to say is the team is young and I still believe they will eventually learn to win.

Let's hope they do.....with a different Coach

All I'm saying is this WWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLL crap is getting old! (as are the excuses) You don't see ANY of the top 15 teams going through this- Ever!

Hogtied85

Quote from: wbbfan32 on January 17, 2014, 08:19:13 am
This is a young team. Only one senior on the entire roster. We need to stay behind this team, especially on Sunday when they must win against Ole Miss at home

We use that same excuse every year. Its the same foulishness. Coach says we are an eyelash away. What the hell does that mean?w We were an eyelash away from being good two years ago according to him.

Hogtied85

Quote from: BigChief14 on January 17, 2014, 12:23:57 pm
Let's hope they do.....with a different Coach

All I'm saying is this WWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLL crap is getting old! (as are the excuses) You don't see ANY of the top 15 teams going through this- Ever!

Thank You. Its time for some changes