Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog-Mizzou game report

Started by blu, January 25, 2013, 06:57:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

blu

Was at the Lady Hog/ Lady Tiger game last night. First L-Hog game I've ever attended. We beat a pretty sub-par team tonight 56-48, but it was a road win and those are always good. My wife (Hope) is a big sports (and Mizzou) fan, has lived most of her life here in central MO, and she thought the Razorbacks were the better team. We both agreed that in this case neither team looked very good.

We hustled on defense, really hustled, and got in the face of the L-Tigers. They got very few uncontested shots. And we caused several turnovers. Our defense reminded me of some of Nolan's tough tough in your face man-to-man defenses. Slapping reaching, knocking the ball away. We played a little zone, but stayed mostly man-to-man. Hope admitted she thought we played good defense last night. Overall, our rebounding was just ok. Our offensive rebounding sucked - it got a little better later in the game but we were one and done for most of the game.

On offense, we moved the ball fairly well, Mizzou was playing mainly zone and really contesting the inside baskets. We won last night because they never adjusted and #14, Gatling, was shooting lights out. We had several players who couldn't seem to get the ball in the hole last night. #4, Watkins must have missed 15 shots (made maybe 2 or 3). Towards the end the crowd (I use that word loosely) was yelling for her to get the ball, so she would miss and the L-Tigers could get the ball back - seriously. Don't know if her shooting % is that bad all of the time, but she was getting uncontested 12-15 foot shots that were all bricks. She had nice moves, and looked athletic, and looked really good until shot after shot clanked. If she had been hitting anywhere near a decent expected %, we would have blown Mizzou out.

I saw three good players on this team and a couple of others that have some potential, but really weren't "on" last night.
To me, Gatling and Berna were the best players on this team. Both had good games and would be competitive on most any SEC team. Peak is a great defender, and was always around the ball, she had a couple of nice looking drives, where the ref called her for walking, and we could never figure out why. She couldn't either.
Gatling - she is the real deal, Berna looked very solid, and Williams is another one who looked good but couldn't get the ball to go down last night. I don't se us as anywhere near a tournament type team this year. Haven't been following the Jessica jackson saga, guess I better start paying attention. It was a fun evening.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

dbhog

I watched the game on TV.  Watkins ended up 4-17.  She usually makes a majority of those jump shots she was taking in the lane.  She makes 4 more of those jumpers and this game is never in doubt.  Hogs' defense was outstanding.  Missouri relies on making a lot of open 3 pointers (according to the announcers) and they just did not have that many open looks.  Missouri has an almost non-existent inside game and the player who was inside was in foul trouble most of the night.  A good road win for the Hogs and now we need to beat South Carolina at home on Sunday.

Dr. Starcs

Beating sc at home will be tough. They just beat 5th ranked Kentucky last night.

luvmybike

Quote from: dbhog on January 25, 2013, 07:17:15 am
I watched the game on TV.  Watkins ended up 4-17.  She usually makes a majority of those jump shots she was taking in the lane.  She makes 4 more of those jumpers and this game is never in doubt.  Hogs' defense was outstanding.  Missouri relies on making a lot of open 3 pointers (according to the announcers) and they just did not have that many open looks.  Missouri has an almost non-existent inside game and the player who was inside was in foul trouble most of the night.  A good road win for the Hogs and now we need to beat South Carolina at home on Sunday.

are there many L-Hog games on TV.  I'd love to see them play, at least on tv, since I can't make it up there.  Lady b-ball fans should be die hard L-Hog fans and make it known