Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommendations for broad heads

Started by HAWG MAFIA, August 13, 2014, 08:48:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HAWG MAFIA

I've been outta the bow hunting scene for a few years and would like some advice.
Recently bought my wife a bow and leased some property. Have high hopes after seeing pics from game cameras.

Anyways, what is your choice for broad heads and why?

Tusk21

New Archery HellRazors - been my go-to fixed for several years. Tried the Rage - hated them.

Tusk21

They shoot smooth and are effective - I've not lost a deer with one. Also, I like fixed blade broadheads much better than other styles (just my personal preference).

VictoryRedChevy

I shoot Slick Trick Razors. They're fixed. I like them.

Albert Einswine

I shoot traditional bows, I've shot Zwickey and Magnus heads, both good, but these STOS 160 grain heads are deadly. Have never not had a gaping complete pass through and never had a deer make 30 yards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291199383602?lpid=82
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

FORTVEGAS

Another vote for Slick Trick for a crossbow use the X-Trick

HAWG MAFIA

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be using fixed blades for sure. Just wanted some opinions before I purchased any.

JaketheSnake

If you are shooting a high poundage pull and have a decent drawlength, the recovery rate of deer is higher with mechanical broadheads.  Lower poundage or shorter arrows go with fixed blade.  The FAA Toxic broadhead is one of the best I've seen and flies closer to a field point than anything else that claims they fly like a field point.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: JaketheSnake on August 16, 2014, 03:26:37 pm
If you are shooting a high poundage pull and have a decent drawlength, the recovery rate of deer is higher with mechanical broadheads.  Lower poundage or shorter arrows go with fixed blade.  The FAA Toxic broadhead is one of the best I've seen and flies closer to a field point than anything else that claims they fly like a field point.

I would guess that the reason the recovery rate is higher for mechanical vs. fixed blade on higher poundage bows is that hunters with higher poundage bows are more apt to take overlong and marginal shots and deer hit with marginal, but fatal shots will leave a better blood trail out of the gaping wounds the mechanical heads produce. The deer hit with marginal shots from fixed don't leave as wide a blood swath and the hunters fail to find the dead deer. That's the most logical thing I can come up with because exhaustive studies have shown that fixed heads penetrate better and fail less often than mechanical. And the studies show that the very best penetration is achieved with 2 blade fixed heads with Tanto points.

I think the best policy is not to take overlong or marginal shots.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

tophawg19

i like muzzy . but for the average shooter who doesn't practice much the mechanicals are the way to go . They don't have the planing problems at higher speeds
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

woodrow hog call

Montec  G 5, fixed blade one piece design fly great for me, and I know they will do the job.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

kodiakisland

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 16, 2014, 05:45:53 pm

I would guess that the reason the recovery rate is higher for mechanical vs. fixed blade on higher poundage bows is that hunters with higher poundage bows are more apt to take overlong and marginal shots and deer hit with marginal, but fatal shots will leave a better blood trail out of the gaping wounds the mechanical heads produce. The deer hit with marginal shots from fixed don't leave as wide a blood swath and the hunters fail to find the dead deer. That's the most logical thing I can come up with because exhaustive studies have shown that fixed heads penetrate better and fail less often than mechanical. And the studies show that the very best penetration is achieved with 2 blade fixed heads with Tanto points.

A policy that some states use is that if you draw blood, you punch your tag.  I wish all states did that.  It might rein a few of the questionable shots some people make.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HAWG MAFIA

I don't like taking overlong or marginal shots. No sense in injuring an animal just because I would like to take him down. I'll only take shots I'm comfortable with. I HATE LOSING ONE FOR ANY REASON, DRIVES ME CRAZY

Albert Einswine

40 plus yard long shots is a lot of ground to cover even for an arrow zipping along at 300+ fps. A lot can happen with an animal possessing such lightning reflexes over that distance even with the fastest arrow speeds.

Tigerloather

I shoot Grim reapers.  Have'nt lost a deer in 3 seasons.  I don't however take shots over 20-25 yards
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

pigme82

QAD Exodus...I have a pretty short draw length (28 in) and I have never had a fixed blade fly more like a field point. I used to shoot the G5 Montec...night and day in my opinion.

HAWG MAFIA

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 16, 2014, 05:45:53 pm

Not sure.  The study I was referencing was still close between fixed and mechanical.  Mechanical also has a much larger cutting area, so that would play a part as well.

If anyone has not tried Flying Arrow's Toxic broadhead, you should.  They do some serious damage and are a fixed blade.

LittlePigMan

I'm going to give Ramcats a try this year. I was pretty happy with slicktricks but I'm wanting a little bigger cut without going mechanical.

HogShat

NAP Spitfires. Bought 3 in '99. Still shooting 2 of the original 3. Lost an arrow with one on it.

my view of his scrape....

just before I released...

exit...

The payoff... he didnt cover 50 yds and was dead in less than 10 seconds.