Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tommy Tuberville - NWA TD Club

Started by The_Iceman, October 25, 2017, 03:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 25, 2017, 06:27:51 pm
In a general sense he is somewhat correct about it starting with defense in the SEC, but he is not totally correct.

To be more specific though, there are a few positions that have to be elite.

An elite Quarterback
An elite Offensive Left Tackle
2 elite Defensive Tackles
An elite Middle Linebacker
An elite boundary side of the field Cornerback

Kevin Sumlin defeated Nick Saban in 2012 by having an elite QB and an elite Offensive Left Tackle.

Yet Sumlin has yet to win the SEC Championship. You do not have to have an "elite" QB only a good one. Of course that depends on the rest of the team as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 25, 2017, 04:23:00 pm
Okay, which one of you clown went and updated his wiki page?

That's actually funny.

Michael_E_Davis

His Wiki Page.

Tommy Tuberville during Tiger Walk prior to the 2007 Auburn game with Ole Miss
Sport(s)    Football
Current position
Title    Head Coach
Team Arkansas Razorbacks
Conference SEC
Record 0-0

LOL!   It wasn't me.  I promise.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

AirForceHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 25, 2017, 04:52:53 pm
Some things you just don't do for money or for the lowest bid. Pepsi is a yankee drink.

Ummmm it's from North Carolina. Hardly yankee
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Großer Kriegschwein

Virtually guaranteed that he'll never be the AD at Arkansas by saying that we should always play at least one game in Little Rock and probably a Spring Game.

This is my non-signature signature.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: AirForceHog on October 25, 2017, 06:40:50 pm
Ummmm it's from North Carolina. Hardly yankee

So half-Yankee then. Lol

(I'm originally a South Carolinian).

ricepig

Quote from: thebignasty on October 25, 2017, 06:15:04 pm
12 year deal?
Was it 2012? I was thinking 2014, but it was a 10 year contract, if my memory is correct.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 25, 2017, 06:47:22 pm
Virtually guaranteed that he'll never be the AD at Arkansas by saying that we should always play at least one game in Little Rock and probably a Spring Game.

My kids, who live in Union County, are able to go to a Little Rock game easier than Fayetteville. However, when they do come here for a game they stay with us. Most in south Arkansas don't have that advantage.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 25, 2017, 06:47:22 pm
I think that would generate alot of fan buzz but I think LR wont be happy unless its an sec game.  I would be ok with that if we eliminated the Jerry world game.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 25, 2017, 07:05:24 pm
I think that would generate alot of fan buzz but I think LR wont be happy unless its an sec game.  I would be ok with that if we eliminated the Jerry world game.

I'll do anything to get rid of the Jerry world game

Edit: On second thought, almost anything. I'm alright with about anything except maybe having to sit in a Loge Box with Eddie from clarksville or FCJ or Guv.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 25, 2017, 07:05:24 pm

The Jerry World game gives us a showcase in Texas if it is used to recruit properly.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Wayne Watson on October 25, 2017, 06:56:41 pm
My kids, who live in Union County, are able to go to a Little Rock game easier than Fayetteville. However, when they do come here for a game they stay with us. Most in south Arkansas don't have that advantage.

Cost me 240 in gas, 84 for hotel and prolly 150 for chow plus 75 for tickets.

And I stayed in a roach motel.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Wayne Watson on October 25, 2017, 07:10:17 pm
The Jerry World game gives us a showcase in Texas if it is used to recruit properly.

Unfortunately the only thing it's showcased in the last 6 years is how much they own us.

Troof

Wooderson

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 25, 2017, 05:27:15 pm
A few quotes from Tommy today:

"Arkansas needs to play a game in Little Rock. Don't regionalize your team. If you start cutting people off it makes it more difficult."

"If it wasn't for Little Rock games, I wouldn't be in football today. We didn't have youth football where I grew up."

"You're not going to out-coach anybody in the SEC. You'd better get players."

"You have to understand it starts with defense in the SEC. That's why most guys who have success have been defensive coaches."

"If you don't have a physical defense... You're going to have to outscore people, and eventually your offense isn't going to show up."

"I'm going to do something. Whether it's ESPN, or possibly being an athletic director, and I'm not going to rule out coaching."

"I want Arkansas to survive and be great like it once was."

That's campaignin' talk, boys.

The man obviously is a Razorback fan.  If any of us on this board were talented coaches we would want to coach the Razorbacks.  It's not a fault, but something to respect. 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2017, 03:47:06 pm
If he gets the AD job will he be allowed to keep slapping coaches?

Yeah.! If not, it's a no-brain'er of a rule change...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 25, 2017, 07:11:31 pm
Unfortunately the only thing it's showcased in the last 6 years is how much they own us.

Troof

Last 4 at AT+T, previous 2 on campus.

factchecker

Quote from: Wooderson on October 25, 2017, 07:16:11 pm
The man obviously is a Razorback fan.  If any of us on this board were talented coaches we would want to coach the Razorbacks.  It's not a fault, but something to respect.

He sounds like a fan of Arkansas or a fan of Tommy getting paid ------ I don't see anything about the Razorbacks in those quotes.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: Wooderson on October 25, 2017, 07:16:11 pm

I'm sure Tuberville was a fan of the Razorbacks when he said nothing smells worse than a old wet hog.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bphi11ips

Quote from: factchecker on October 25, 2017, 07:25:27 pm
I'm sure Tuberville was a fan of the Razorbacks when he said nothing smells worse than a old wet hog.

He's not from Fayetteville, so he must not be a real fan.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2017, 07:16:57 pm
Last 4 at AT+T, previous 2 on campus.

We've lost 6 in a row to them morons. That's the gist.

Großer Kriegschwein

factchecker

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 25, 2017, 07:27:33 pm
He's not from Fayetteville, so he must not be a real fan.

You don't have to be from Fayetteville to be a Razorback fan.  I was born in and lived the majority of my life in south Arkansas.

You don't have to even be from Arkansas to be a Razorback fan.  I have friends from college who lived their whole life in Texas but now are diehard Razorback fans.

Also, being from the state of Arkansas doesn't give somebody special rights or designation as a Razorback.

Just because somebody talked highly of wms doesn't mean we need to hire them as AD or coach.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 25, 2017, 04:57:19 pm
Frank Broyles always wanted to coach the Hogs, he was turned down 1 or 2 times. He just kept coming back. Arkansas was his destination job.

Sadly, too few realize this....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WilsonHog

Don't misunderstand; I am not advocating for Tuberville.

When I hear of comments like he made today, I go back to my days in Dr. Stephen Smith's Political Communications class at UA. I pay far less attention to WHAT was said, far more to HOW and WHY. That's the academic in me coming out, and is the same way I approach politics. I don't ever give a Tinker's damn who gets elected for anything; I enjoy the communication aspect of it.

Make no mistake, y'all. The entire world - Razorback football included - revolves around money, power, and influence.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 25, 2017, 07:51:43 pm
Don't misunderstand; I am not advocating for Tuberville.

When I hear of comments like he made today, I go back to my days in Dr. Stephen Smith's Political Communications class at UA. I pay far less attention to WHAT was said, far more to HOW and WHY. That's the academic in me coming out, and is the same way I approach politics. I don't ever give a Tinker's damn who gets elected for anything; I enjoy the communication aspect of it.

Make no mistake, y'all. The entire world - Razorback football included - revolves around money, power, and influence.

That really depends on which world you choose to live in, but yeah, it does in the BOT world.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

seasonhog

Quote from: factchecker on October 25, 2017, 07:25:27 pm

We need to get back to being a wild wet hog with fangs........we are now a pot belly pig.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2017, 06:33:07 pm
Yet Sumlin has yet to win the SEC Championship. You do not have to have an "elite" QB only a good one. Of course that depends on the rest of the team as well.

An elite Quarterback is the great equalizer.  It doesn't matter if the collegiate defense is an elite defense with a lot of NFL talent, an elite QB is practically unstoppable.

Saban and his NFL farm club defense had no answer for Deshaun Watson the last 2 NC games.  Watson torched them both games.

Saban and his NFL farm club defense had no answer for Cam Newton in 2010.

Saban and his NFL farm club defense had no answer for Johnny Manziel in 2012 and 2013.

factchecker

Quote from: seasonhog on October 25, 2017, 07:55:58 pm

We need to get back to being a wild wet hog with fangs........we are now a pot belly pig.

That's pretty funny.

Reminds me of the Texas Bowl.

Somebody had this sign:

But the Razorback was fat and was sitting down while holding the flag.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

JONAS

Quote from: factchecker on October 25, 2017, 07:32:02 pm
You don't have to be from Fayetteville to be a Razorback fan.  I was born in and lived the majority of my life in south Arkansas.

You don't have to even be from Arkansas to be a Razorback fan.  I have friends from college who lived their whole life in Texas but now are diehard Razorback fans.

Also, being from the state of Arkansas doesn't give somebody special rights or designation as a Razorback.

Just because somebody talked highly of wms doesn't mean we need to hire them as AD or coach.

Yep.  I was born in Tennessee and grew up in Mississippi. 

seasonhog

Quote from: factchecker on October 25, 2017, 08:01:38 pm
That's pretty funny.

Reminds me of the Texas Bowl.

Somebody had this sign:

But the Razorback was fat and was sitting down while holding the flag.

Send this to Long........this is what hog fans want for their team.......no pot belly pigs

factchecker

Quote from: seasonhog on October 25, 2017, 08:06:25 pm

Send this to Long........this is what hog fans want for their team.......no pot belly pigs

Yep.  I rather have an offensive line that are all sub 300 lbs. but mean and fast vs. giant softies.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Acehawg

This isn't 1995 and there's only one Saban.  Not so sure about defensive minded head coaches being the answer.

code red

Seriously what is Jeff Long done. Allowed us to wear stupid ass uniforms. He doesn't understand the Arkansas bran. He stopped tweeting. I think we got to start the top. Jeff long is not the guy. He's made terrible hires. It's time for him to go.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Acehawg on October 25, 2017, 08:13:46 pm
This isn't 1995 and there's only one Saban.  Not so sure about defensive minded head coaches being the answer.

Saban, Smart, Patterson, Carroll, Chizik, Bob Stoops, Butch Davis

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 25, 2017, 03:43:20 pm
Any thoughts?

The one thing that's sticks in the mind with Tubby was the epic fits he threw on the sidelines in Fayetteville.  Probably wouldn't make things any better but the fans might feel better if we had an AD who threw fits when his coach did stupid things.

DOGALUM

I think he's an idiot and a horrible coach.  I see no reason to believe he would be worth a damn as an AD either.  He is also a horrid color commentator.

If he were hired as AD or coach, I would stop supporting the program.  I would keep BB 10 times out of 10 before even considering Tubberville. 

Just my .02
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

colbs

Quote from: DOGALUM on October 25, 2017, 09:03:12 pm
I think he's an idiot and a horrible coach.  I see no reason to believe he would be worth a damn as an AD either.  He is also a horrid color commentator.

If he were hired as AD or coach, I would stop supporting the program.  I would keep BB 10 times out of 10 before even considering Tubberville. 

Just my .02

He did a pretty good job st Auburn, went undefeated one year.

Acehawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 25, 2017, 08:46:31 pm
Saban, Smart, Patterson, Carroll, Chizik, Bob Stoops, Butch Davis

Half of those are a good answer back in the day.

With Smart the jury is still out

Sivad

Tommy has the business smarts, knows coaching and college football, makes a great impression and is a most effective communicator, knows and loves Arkansas.
I cannot name a better candidate for Arkansas AD.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 25, 2017, 04:37:07 pm
When he briefly mentioned moving the Spring Game, I thought that was a fantastic idea. The whole fan day with the kids and autographs would be great in the WMS atmosphere. Have the Spring Game and then have a concert or something after to keep fans there and engaged.

It would do more to connect the hogs to the southern part of the state than an actual game, imo.

It could be the happiest of mediums...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 25, 2017, 03:43:20 pm
He was at the NWA Touchdown Club today. Almost sounded like he was campaigning for the AD job. He said being an AD was something he was interested in.

After listening to him, I could see him being a good AD. He is well connected and has an overall good mind for things. He did make a comment about needing to keep a game in Little Rock, but also mentioned moving the Spring Game there which is a great idea.

Any thoughts?
Spring game was in LR only through the '80's.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: factchecker on October 25, 2017, 07:23:41 pm
He sounds like a fan of Arkansas or a fan of Tommy getting paid ------ I don't see anything about the Razorbacks in those quotes.

And your point is..? How could thinking about things from a statewide perspective hurt?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 25, 2017, 05:27:15 pm
A few quotes from Tommy today:

"Arkansas needs to play a game in Little Rock. Don't regionalize your team. If you start cutting people off it makes it more difficult."

"If it wasn't for Little Rock games, I wouldn't be in football today. We didn't have youth football where I grew up."

"You're not going to out-coach anybody in the SEC. You'd better get players."

"You have to understand it starts with defense in the SEC. That's why most guys who have success have been defensive coaches."

"If you don't have a physical defense... You're going to have to outscore people, and eventually your offense isn't going to show up."

"I'm going to do something. Whether it's ESPN, or possibly being an athletic director, and I'm not going to rule out coaching."

"I want Arkansas to survive and be great like it once was."

That's campaignin' talk, boys.
The SEC does start, and end, with defense. If you are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the SEC in any year, it's because of your defense.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

factchecker

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 25, 2017, 10:05:48 pm
The SEC does start, and end, with defense. If you are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the SEC in any year, it's because of your defense.

I agree.  If you can field a top defense in the SEC then you are going to be one of the best teams in the nation.

The problem is actually fielding a top defense.  It's tough recruiting a front 7 athletic and mean enough to Arkansas.  The last great linebacker our state produced was Spaight.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

depressed_fan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2017, 03:47:06 pm
If he gets the AD job will he be allowed to keep slapping coaches?

hahahaha maybe he would slap belima around

Pork Twain

Quote from: factchecker on October 25, 2017, 04:42:45 pm
Yep..... our greatest athletic director, the man who built the Razorbacks, Frank Broyles was an Arkansa- Oh, wait.... he was from Georgia.

I understand maybe wanting a former Razorback or an alumnus because you want someone who has a connection to the university.  However, being born within the state lines of Arkansas doesn't give you some inherit gift to be the athletic director at The University of Arkansas.
What I don't get about the "we need a good ole Arkansas boy" mindset.  Who was the last good ole Arkansas boy that took us to the top?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

factchecker

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 25, 2017, 10:39:37 pm
What I don't get about the "we need a good ole Arkansas boy" mindset.  Who was the last good ole Arkansas boy that took us to the top?

Hatfield was the last good one (coach from Arkansas).

I actually heard someone try and claim as Dave Van Horn as an Arkansan.  Some of our fans might be unhappy if they knew he was from California..... despite him being the best coach on the hill.

Heck, the greatest Razorback coach of all time isn't even from the United States.  He's from Ireland.

John McDonnell

40 national championships (the most by any coach in any sport in NCAA history): 11 cross country - 19 indoor track - 10 outdoor track
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hog of steele

If he was the AD, would CBB have the guidance he needs like he had in Wisconsin?