Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU commits or targets for poaching

Started by Prestworthy, September 26, 2016, 07:03:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Prestworthy

3kgthog

If they are smart, they'll wait until LSU makes the splashy hire you know they absolutely have to (and will) make.

LSU just became more attractive to lots of players if they have intelligent folks around them providing advice.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 26, 2016, 08:49:22 am
If they are smart, they'll wait until LSU makes the splashy hire you know they absolutely have to (and will) make.

LSU just became more attractive to lots of players if they have intelligent folks around them providing advice.

Ding, Ding...  Most of their recruits simply want to go to LSU.  Getting an upgrade in coaching will just be major plus for them.  This change won't even be a blip on their recruiting radar screen.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

RazorPiggie

Really just depends on who they bring in, along with the position coaches.

jbcarol

The recruiting impact will be felt, but it could be minimal depending on who the school hires as head coach and which assistant coaches stay

Quote** DYLAN MOSES, linebacker, Bradenton, Fla. - 247Sports' Barton Simmons, one of the best in the business, says this timing gives LSU the best chance to sign Moses.

** WILL IGNONT, linebacker, Buckhorn - Bodes well for Auburn unless the Tigers keep defensive coordinator Dave Aranda

Will Ignont (courtesy: Daniel Boyette)
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jackflash

They will wait until they see who LSU will hire

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

COCHISE

Quote from: jackflash on September 26, 2016, 10:15:45 am
They will wait until they see who LSU will hire
I'm not so sure. I think the LA kids will but the bulk of their current recruiting class (14 of 20) is made up of out-of-state guys, namely Texas, Alabama and Mississippi. I could certainly see those guys jump ship, especially if LSU has to wait until after the season to name their coach.

Oklahawg

Justin Thomas is a DE from Spanish Fort, AL, where we are recruiting another player. He might be the most likely target on the LSU commit list right now.

Remember: when players commit early they often shut down recruiting. Not all, but many. That indicates a high level of satisfaction with their choice. It means that LSU coveted them early on, and gave them the A-list treatment.

If there is a bonus, it is that many of LSU's commits are from out-of-state. Or, maybe not. The next coach could work to shore up in-state recruiting and target several UA commits at the expense of some of LSU's out-of-staters.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

RazorPiggie

Quote from: COCHISE on September 26, 2016, 11:54:31 am
I'm not so sure. I think the LA kids will but the bulk of their current recruiting class (14 of 20) is made up of out-of-state guys, namely Texas, Alabama and Mississippi. I could certainly see those guys jump ship, especially if LSU has to wait until after the season to name their coach.

If they name one during the season its got to be Gruden, Dungy, or someone that isn't already coaching.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 26, 2016, 09:43:41 am
The environment boosters create for the recruits is over half the attraction... the coach is secondary.

That's perhaps the biggest bunch of bull I've ever read on here.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Richard Davenport

RzRbAcK18

There is an alternative scenario. Chances are if a kid wants to go to LSU, he is going to go. LSU will always have the talent to be a contender.

I think the better opportunity will be to flip kids from the school that LSU takes its head coach from. For example:

- Timarcus Davis 3* CB committed to Houston with an offer from us.

- Jeremy Singleton 3* WR committed to Houston with an offer from us.

Less likely but not out of the question:

If LSU takes Gary Patterson

- Dennis Collins 3* DT commited TCU (apparently many thought we would land him)

- Garret Wallow 3* S commited to TCU with an offer from us.

Like a 1% chance this happens:

Bob Stoops goes to LSU. His name has surfaced but I don't think LSU would be interested but for fun:

- Tyrese Robinson 4* OG commited to OU with an offer from us.

- Addison Gumbs 4* WDE commited to OU with an offer from us.

I do not follow recruiting very much so this maybe utter nonsense but it occupied my break. I do, however, think it is more likely to steal from the new coaches old team, especially if its Houston.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 26, 2016, 03:13:15 pm
That's perhaps the biggest bunch of bull I've ever read on here.
I'm not so sure, see Gene Chizik.  was 4-8 at Iowa State, and had the #58 class, went to auburn and pulled in the #23 class up from 28 the previous year.

a programs 'recruiting environment' has a lot to do with bringing in top classes.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 26, 2016, 12:19:27 pm
Justin Thomas is a DE from Spanish Fort, AL, where we are recruiting another player. He might be the most likely target on the LSU commit list right now.

Remember: when players commit early they often shut down recruiting. Not all, but many. That indicates a high level of satisfaction with their choice. It means that LSU coveted them early on, and gave them the A-list treatment.

If there is a bonus, it is that many of LSU's commits are from out-of-state. Or, maybe not. The next coach could work to shore up in-state recruiting and target several UA commits at the expense of some of LSU's out-of-staters.
Potentially the most legitimate possibility is Justin.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 26, 2016, 06:07:26 pm
I'm not so sure, see Gene Chizik.  was 4-8 at Iowa State, and had the #58 class, went to auburn and pulled in the #23 class up from 28 the previous year.

a programs 'recruiting environment' has a lot to do with bringing in top classes.

From  28 to 23 is not a big difference. Environment matters but coaches matter. Cheesehead proved that you winning with the prior coaches players then fell flagons his face. But to recruit at 58 to Iowa state is not to be sneezed at.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AugustaHog

I see next to zero chance any of those kids are giving us much of a look.  Maybe the Thomas kid because we were in his final grouping when he committed to them, but that's about it. 

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

scorekeeper

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on September 26, 2016, 05:49:26 pm
There is an alternative scenario. Chances are if a kid wants to go to LSU, he is going to go. LSU will always have the talent to be a contender.

I think the better opportunity will be to flip kids from the school that LSU takes its head coach from. For example:

- Timarcus Davis 3* CB committed to Houston with an offer from us.

- Jeremy Singleton 3* WR committed to Houston with an offer from us.

Less likely but not out of the question:

If LSU takes Gary Patterson

- Dennis Collins 3* DT commited TCU (apparently many thought we would land him)

- Garret Wallow 3* S commited to TCU with an offer from us.

Like a 1% chance this happens:

Bob Stoops goes to LSU. His name has surfaced but I don't think LSU would be interested but for fun:

- Tyrese Robinson 4* OG commited to OU with an offer from us.

- Addison Gumbs 4* WDE commited to OU with an offer from us.

I do not follow recruiting very much so this maybe utter nonsense but it occupied my break. I do, however, think it is more likely to steal from the new coaches old team, especially if its Houston.

This is a good post. I think along those same lines.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

whosiskid

I think the best scenario for us picking up a kid is if the new coach thinks soof the current commits don't quite fit his style of football. Or if a current commit really hates the philosophy of the incoming coach. This is how we've gotten or lost key players in the past. We lost Ryan Mallett out of HS due to Houston Nutt and picked him up thanks to Petrino/Rodriguez.

So I think the odds of us picking up an LSU kid is nonexistent until they make a hire.

Speaking of a hire, I look for them to hire someone who can really suck in a QB. That has been the huge sore spot for LSU recruiting for some time. The LSU boards were baffled why we had so many solid QBs and they had none. The Rafe Peavey scenario is not one that they have had in a long time.

They won't do it because they need to make a splash hire, but hiring Dan Enos would be a great move for them, though I'm sure he has a noncompete clause. I don't want to lose Enos, but I think it is inevitable that we will lose him to a great program at some point.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

jjdlc

Quote from: whosiskid on September 28, 2016, 05:31:17 am
I think the best scenario for us picking up a kid is if the new coach thinks soof the current commits don't quite fit his style of football. Or if a current commit really hates the philosophy of the incoming coach. This is how we've gotten or lost key players in the past. We lost Ryan Mallett out of HS due to Houston Nutt and picked him up thanks to Petrino/Rodriguez.

So I think the odds of us picking up an LSU kid is nonexistent until they make a hire.

Speaking of a hire, I look for them to hire someone who can really suck in a QB. That has been the huge sore spot for LSU recruiting for some time. The LSU boards were baffled why we had so many solid QBs and they had none. The Rafe Peavey scenario is not one that they have had in a long time.

They won't do it because they need to make a splash hire, but hiring Dan Enos would be a great move for them, though I'm sure he has a noncompete clause. I don't want to lose Enos, but I think it is inevitable that we will lose him to a great program at some point.

They could hire him as HC, not OC, but, absolutely nothing against Enos on this, I would imagine they have their sights set higher.

carolinahogger

Quote from: AugustaHog on September 27, 2016, 01:00:33 pm
I see next to zero chance any of those kids are giving us much of a look. 

We have a winner!  Every time there is a coaching change someone posts a thread like this.

Someone name the hog players from the last decade who flipped from another school because of a coaching change.

jbcarol

Otha?

QuoteVols and Dooley have had much coaching transition amongst the coaching staff in Knoxville but Walters believes that didn't factor in his decision.

"It wasn't because of the coaches," Covington coach Cody Walters said. "He knows that in that business the coaches fluctuate and you never know who your coach may be. His coach could get a job somewhere else. He was looking for a good campus community, academics and the right feel. He was looking at facilities and the state of the program. That's what he liked at Arkansas."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The_Boot_stops_here

Justin Thomas is likely a candidate but he was planning on visiting regardless of Miles being there or not.

jjdlc

There have been some, Whaley last year is the one I can think of off hand.  Collins came here because of us getting CBB.  I'd have to give it some more thought.

PorkRinds

Quote from: carolinahogger on September 28, 2016, 09:18:43 am
We have a winner!  Every time there is a coaching change someone posts a thread like this.

Someone name the hog players from the last decade who flipped from another school because of a coaching change.

Whaley.

tbhogfan

Over the past several years, LSU has been a run-first team, similar to Arkansas.  Should they go in a different direction (Herman, Briles, Petrino), there would need to be a change of recruiting philosophy that might open a few recruits to us.  I don't anticipate that this will be a large number of recruits. 

Go Hogs!

The_Bionic_Pig

Short of Seagrest bolting and Orgeron taking a pay cut to come here not much will change those current in-state verbals mind's.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Scott7703

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on September 28, 2016, 04:35:41 pm
Short of Seagrest bolting and Orgeron taking a pay cut to come here not much will change those current in-state verbals mind's.

Talk about a major upgrade.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/781494385196273664

Mentions 4-star safety Todd Harris and 4-star defensive end Isaiah Buggs with no good shot at current commits.

Also a feature on Koilan Jackson...

Hawghiggs

We need to go after Corey Raymond. He's LSU defensive backs coach. He's also from Louisiana.

LJHOG

I think Eddie O will hold on to the recruits.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: LJHOG on October 02, 2016, 12:30:43 pm
I think Eddie O will hold on to the recruits.

Anything is possible in the world of recruiting but I tend to agree with your line of thinking.

ricepig

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 02, 2016, 01:30:34 pm
Anything is possible in the world of recruiting but I tend to agree with your line of thinking.

What if another coach comes in and doesn't retain him? Now, I doubt that happens, but he may be mad like at USCw and leave the area.

Oklahawg

Richard is the expert here, but it seems that most schools try to get recruits to commit to a program and a school, not a coach. Obviously, that doesn't always work (commits follow position coaches, for example; our concern about losing Michael Smith). In-state recruits are locked in to being an LSU Tiger, plain and simple. Others grow up a Tiger fan only to not get the dreamed about offer, so they make a huge psychological shift and learn to NOT like the Tigers...and a late Tiger offer doesn't sway them back.

Commitments could be thought of as marriages - a long-term relationship that isn't entered into lightly, and isn't terminated without serious consideration.  Not all recruits are that way, obviously, but we seem to be focusing on players who take the commitment process seriously. Whey they commit elsewhere it is a major deal (that is, we don't tend to get involved in recruits who flip and flop around very much).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra