Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damarea Crockett, one of the 10 best rushers in CFB

Started by HawgTrough, August 10, 2017, 01:09:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 09:25:46 am
Maybe, maybe, maybe...

I'm guessing you haven't seen this kid play :-\? He is big, fast, strong, explosive, smart, has good vision, and can blitz pick up. What else do you need from a running back. He's bigger, stronger, and just as fast than any back we have on our team right now. Period. Might not be as quick as say a TJ Hammonds or a Chase Hayden but he is fast. They missed out on a good one. Plain & simple. "A diamond in the rough" I guess you can say. But some will go to any lengths to try to protect coach B and his staff. I'm not criticizing his staff as a matter of fact I love Coach B and his staff but let's call a spade a spade.

Disclaimer: I will never be a Missouri fan but I am a Crockett fan. Have been since he grew up playing Pee Wee football and Junior High football in Magnolia. Not to mention he played a season for my alma mater the Camden Fairview Cardinals under Coach Buck James ;D. Yes, I know this kid personally and have never heard of him getting into any type of trouble when he was coming up through the school system. So until someone shows me some concrete evidence on that, that excuse is BS.

Here are some highlights just in case you need to see them. Carry on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBJUERmHCog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eC6gwvn07M

What games that we lost last year would we have won if we had Crockett? I'm gonna go with none.

mizzouman

I didn't think this thread would last more than a single page. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogz11 on August 11, 2017, 09:41:06 am
Your bias is clear. Everyone sees it.

The concrete evidence you apparently can't see was clear enough for Mizzou to suspend him.

It's been pointed out but I'll state again that Whaley played behind the top rusher in the SEC in the West.........the by far and away toughest division in college football. Crockett played in the East........the same division that hasn't produced a conference champion since the Tebow Gators in 2008. So the Whaley/Crockett comparisons for last season are moot.

In hindsight, if you KNOW you don't get Porter or White and you KNOW Rawleigh has to retire from football, then Crockett would be a Hog. Hindsight is always 20/20.

You have a personal bias toward Crockett and that's fine. We all wish he was a Hog today based on what's happened in hindsight. But we all (except you) understand why Crockett wasn't taken.
99.9% of the people on this board and maybe even the country have smoked a little weed from time to time. Does that make them a bad person or mean they have character issues? If that's the case America is screwed. What trouble did he get into when he was in High School or below? And BTW I know exactly why they say he wasn't taken and I call BS. Those are all just good excuses. The simple fact is when the White and Porter recruitments fell through they should have offered Crockett and they didn't. That's a fact.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 11, 2017, 09:48:16 am
What games that we lost last year would we have won if we had Crockett? I'm gonna go with none.
Who said anything about wins and losses? We're talking about talent as a football player at the running back position. BTW to answer your question. With some of the odd things this staff does who knows. Like not running the ball in the 2nd half when you have big leads.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: mizzouman on August 11, 2017, 09:51:17 am
I didn't think this thread would last more than a single page. 

Some think every kid from South AR should get a scholly regardless if we are full at that position.

RME

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 09:58:19 am
Who said anything about wins and losses? We're talking about talent as a football player at the running back position. BTW to answer your question. With some of the odd things this staff does who knows. Like not running the ball in the 2nd half when you have big leads.

Has anyone openly denied his talent? Sorry if I've missed it, but I've seen plenty of reasons as to why we didn't take the guy. I haven't seen a whole lot "the guy isn't good enough" posts.

And no. Crockett wouldn't have won us a game last year that we lost. He would have been 3rd RB at best. That's not denying his talent, that's saying Rawleigh and Devwah are better. At the running back position in Bielema's offense, "missing" out on one solid back isn't a big deal.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 11, 2017, 10:01:44 am
Has anyone openly denied his talent? Sorry if I've missed it, but I've seen plenty of reasons as to why we didn't take the guy. I haven't seen a whole lot "the guy isn't good enough" posts.

And no. Crockett wouldn't have won us a game last year that we lost. He would have been 3rd RB at best. That's not denying his talent, that's saying Rawleigh and Devwah are better. At the running back position in Bielema's offense, "missing" out on one solid back isn't a big deal.
I agree with you that missing out on a running back in Beilema's system is not a big deal because the system is the system. I'm just saying the only reasons I have heard that we didn't take him was because we were trying to get White and Porter.

1. If we had room for them before the committed to other schools why didn't we have room for Crockett afterwards?
2. I keep hearing all of the character issues but what other character issues are there out there about him besides smoking a little weed in college?

I'll wait...

The Hogfather

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 09:25:46 am
Maybe, maybe, maybe...

I'm guessing you haven't seen this kid play :-\? He is big, fast, strong, explosive, smart, has good vision, and can blitz pick up. What else do you need from a running back. He's bigger, stronger, and just as fast than any back we have on our team right now. Period. Might not be as quick as say a TJ Hammonds or a Chase Hayden but he is fast. They missed out on a good one. Plain & simple. "A diamond in the rough" I guess you can say. But some will go to any lengths to try to protect coach B and his staff. I'm not criticizing his staff as a matter of fact I love Coach B and his staff but let's call a spade a spade.

Disclaimer: I will never be a Missouri fan but I am a Crockett fan. Have been since he grew up playing Pee Wee football and Junior High football in Magnolia. Not to mention he played a season for my alma mater the Camden Fairview Cardinals under Coach Buck James ;D. Yes, I know this kid personally and have never heard of him getting into any type of trouble when he was coming up through the school system. So until someone shows me some concrete evidence on that, that excuse is BS.

Here are some highlights just in case you need to see them. Carry on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBJUERmHCog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eC6gwvn07M

Hard to miss your bias.  The kid is pretty good.  Definitely not top 10 in the nation and I don't think he's better than Whaley.  I definitely wouldn't mind having him now that Rawleigh had to retire.  I'm not going to act like we're really missing him or that the staff missed on him or anything.  I simply don't think those are true.

GolfnHog

Quote from: Hogwild on August 10, 2017, 07:05:35 pm

Mizzou had the 2nd most passing yards in the SEC, with the third most passing attempts. While allowing the fewest sacks (14).
By comparison we allowed 150% more sacks(35) than Mizzou, despite them throwing 42 less passes.

While having 17 less rushing attempts, Mizzou still had 300+ yards more rushing for the season.
Mizzou had 4.9 yards per carry, while we had 4.1 yards per carry (12th in the SEC)

If their OLine is really that bad, and they still accomplished what they did, we need to looking into hiring their OL coach.

Which in turn means he's coaching in the SEC-W versus SEC-E. That adds a different layer of difficulty in achieving those stats.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogz11 on August 11, 2017, 10:03:23 am
Never sad Crockett was a "bad person"

But if you are playing SEC football on a scholly and you know you can get in trouble for smoking/possessing weed and you do it anyway.........you have character issues. Regardless of how trivial you make it.
True. It was a bad decision. I certainly wouldn't have done it. We all have done something at some point or another that we know we shouldn't have done and paid the consequence, am I right? If that's all he has done then the reward is certainly worth the risk.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 11, 2017, 10:06:12 am
Hard to miss your bias.  The kid is pretty good.  Definitely not top 10 in the nation and I don't think he's better than Whaley.  I definitely wouldn't mind having him now that Rawleigh had to retire.  I'm not going to act like we're really missing him or that the staff missed on him or anything.  I simply don't think those are true.
I wouldn't say he is top 10 yet either. Still has some work to do. But for one of the posters to say him being better than Whaley is laughable is beyond ludicrous.  In my Mike Tyson voice. If he's not better than Whaley (which I'm not saying he is) he certainly isn't far behind him. That's all I am saying. And there is no need for grown ups to try and put this kid down just to try to make a point.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogz11 on August 11, 2017, 09:41:06 am
Your bias is clear. Everyone sees it.

Ha.  I didn't see your post until after I just posted mine. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogz11 on August 11, 2017, 10:00:28 am
Lol so true
I'm not one of those. But I do know the kids in the south that are SEC scholarship worthy and he was certainly one of them. Along with Jordan Jones. I know it when I seen him play also.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 10:11:35 am
I wouldn't say he is top 10 yet either. Still has some work to do. But for one of the posters to say him being better than Whaley is laughable is beyond ludicrous.  In my Mike Tyson voice. If he's not better than Whaley (which I'm not saying he is) he certainly isn't far behind him. That's all I am saying. And there is no need for grown ups to try and put this kid down just to try to make a point.

Well, I do think it is laughable, but there is no way for me to really prove why until after this season.  Their systems/circumstances were totally different last year.  I think it made Crockett look better than he really is and I think it made Whaley seem not as good as he really is.  Like I said, we'll see this year.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 11, 2017, 10:15:55 am
Well, I do think it is laughable, but there is no way for me to really prove why until after this season.  Their systems/circumstances were totally different last year.  I think it made Crockett look better than he really is and I think it made Whaley seem not as good as he really is.  Like I said, we'll see this year.
With the limited amount of touches Whaley got last year I think he looked darn good. But he will have the full load this year to prove how good he really is and I think he will definitely prove that. At the same time I think you are seriously underrating Crockett because of the system he plays in. Remember most of these running backs in the college football come from a spread offense in high school so there is really no way to determine how good they really are or will be until they get in a different type of offense in college or the pros. I think he would thrive just the same in our system because of his running style. He doesn't have lot of wiggle. He's more of a one cut and go type back. You know, kind of like Whaley. They are basically the same type of back.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/mar/14/dallas-nike-combine-tidbits/

The Hogfather

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 10:25:03 am
With the limited amount of touches Whaley got last year I think he looked darn good. But he will have the full load this year to prove how good he really is and I think he will definitely prove that. At the same time I think you are seriously underrating Crockett because of the system he plays in. Remember most of these running backs in the college football come from a spread offense in high school so there is really no way to determine how good they really are or will be until they get in a different type of offense in college or the pros. I think he would thrive just the same in our system because of his running style. He doesn't have lot of wiggle. He's more of a one cut and go type back. You know, kind of like Whaley. They are basically the same type of back.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/mar/14/dallas-nike-combine-tidbits/

4.71 40?

factchecker

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 09:58:19 am
With some of the odd things this staff does who knows. Like not running the ball in the 2nd half when you have big leads.

Wait..... I thought the complaint was that we were too conservative with a lead and ran the ball too often.

Either way we ran the ball when we had a big lead.

Pass attempts when winning by 15 or more points: 56

Rushing attempts when winning by 15 or more points: 110
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

wildhogman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 08:19:57 am
I'm just curious. I haven't seen anyone specify this. What exactly are and were his off the field issues? Can we please stop making excuses for this coaching staff and just man up and say we didn't offer him but maybe we should have. Especially after the White and Porter deal fell through. We had room for them but we didn't have room for Crockett correct?
If we had gotten white, I doubt whaley would be with us. we were only going to get one elite RB.  Could Crocket provide depth?  absolutely, but we had RWIII at the time and didn't need depth. we need LB.
Imagine the outrage right now if we take crocket and all he does is redshirt, and now we have two more stud RB's, but switching to the 3-4 we need LB.  Everyone pooh-poohing the staff for Crocket would back pooh-poohing for taking him when we had a greater need for LBs

Rocket23

Quote from: Wildhog on August 10, 2017, 03:55:13 pm
I just don't understand why some feel the need to diminish his accomplishments.  He didn't spurn us for Mizzou.  He would have been a Hog if he could.  He had a great freshman season and I'm happy for him.
. Ditto!!!

He wanted to be a Hog!  He just got caught up in a numbers game and can't blame the coaching staff.  He was a great hs back and is a good college back.  Only time will tell if he is to become a great college back.  He was consistent at LRCA but never showed that blazing breakaway speed an elite rb shows at the hs level. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 11, 2017, 10:32:06 am
4.71 40?
Hammonds 4.66 forty? Those are laser times. The same thing the use at the NFL combine. Those times will always be slower.

BTW, do you know what Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice 40 times were? Trust me, you don't wanna know. Give me football players not combine warriors. You would love to have both but it doesn't always work out that way. LOL...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: factchecker on August 11, 2017, 10:32:42 am
Wait..... I thought the complaint was that we were too conservative with a lead and ran the ball too often.

Either way we ran the ball when we had a big lead.

Pass attempts when winning by 15 or more points: 56

Rushing attempts when winning by 15 or more points: 110
Lol...that wasn't my complaint.

rljjr

As an aside, Gallup studies show about 38% of the population in the US have ever tried weed. That number has been pretty static since the 80s.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: wildhogman on August 11, 2017, 10:36:38 am
If we had gotten white, I doubt whaley would be with us. we were only going to get one elite RB.  Could Crocket provide depth?  absolutely, but we had RWIII at the time and didn't need depth. we need LB.
Imagine the outrage right now if we take crocket and all he does is redshirt, and now we have two more stud RB's, but switching to the 3-4 we need LB.  Everyone pooh-poohing the staff for Crocket would back pooh-poohing for taking him when we had a greater need for LBs
Trust me, I'm not one to complain about the staff because they know way more than you and I. But I was sure hoping they took a chance on him. With that being said I knew he was better than a 3 star. I think Rivals was the only service that had him rated as a 4 star and they are represented heavily at the Nike Sparq Combine.

The thing to me is that there are not many freshmen that can come into high D1 football and do what he did. No matter what conference or offensive system they play in or no matter what offensive line they play behind. Unless maybe it's behind Alabama's offensive line... ;D. People it won't hurt you at all to give the man a little credit. Are Razorback players the only ones we can give credit to? Do we have so much pride that we can't see a good player on another team even when he's right in front of you? Trust me I'm all Hog, but I don't have so much pride that I can't give credit where it is due.

WooPig!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rljjr on August 11, 2017, 11:01:52 am
As an aside, Gallup studies show about 38% of the population in the US have ever tried weed. That number has been pretty static since the 80s.
Well I'm one of those 38% LOL. Those were my high school days ;D.

rljjr

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 11:04:48 am
Well I'm one of those 38% LOL. Those were my high school days ;D.

Ha. Yeah, not raining on your purple haze, just throwing facts.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 10:44:18 am
Hammonds 4.66 forty? Those are laser times. The same thing the use at the NFL combine. Those times will always be slower.

BTW, do you know what Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice 40 times were? Trust me, you don't wanna know. Give me football players not combine warriors. You would love to have both but it doesn't always work out that way. LOL...

I was wondering what you wanted us to look at.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgTrough on August 10, 2017, 01:27:17 pm
Home grown product that "we" passed on seems relevant

ALL schools pass on homegrown talent that later proves to be very good talent.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The Hogfather on August 11, 2017, 11:55:39 am
I was wondering what you wanted us to look at.
Out of 1200 kids he was #1 at the Nike Sparq Combine. That's all.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 11, 2017, 12:20:02 pm
True. It just hurts more when we do it. LOL...But nothing and I do mean nothing will stop me for being a Razorback. WooPig!!

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 11, 2017, 12:20:02 pm
This is 100% fact.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: mizzouman on August 11, 2017, 01:58:00 pm
This is 100% fact.
The thing is some schools can afford to do that but not Arkansas. If we can get on Alabama's level and find a way to bring in top talent from anywhere in the country then maybe we can get away with that. But until then we have to keep the best players in the state from going elsewhere seeing that we don't have many in the first place.

mizzouman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 02:07:25 pm
The thing is some schools can afford to do that but not Arkansas. If we can get on Alabama's level and find a way to bring in top talent from anywhere in the country then maybe we can get away with that. But until then we have to keep the best players in the state from going elsewhere seeing that we don't have many in the first place.
As many of noted, Arkansas got their guy with Whaley who was, at least at the high level, a better prospect that Crockett.  So, that makes sense.  Question is, why not take 2 RB's?  Yes, Hayden Johnson was probably listed as a RB or FB but not the same.

greenie

Quote from: mizzouman on August 11, 2017, 02:11:52 pm
As many of noted, Arkansas got their guy with Whaley who was, at least at the high level, a better prospect that Crockett.  So, that makes sense.  Question is, why not take 2 RB's?  Yes, Hayden Johnson was probably listed as a RB or FB but not the same.

TJ Hammonds was the 2nd RB

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 02:07:25 pm

Don't always assume that all players in Arkansas or any state loves the big instate college team. Also don't assume that the position they are recruiting doesn't have other higher rated players from out of state that commits and signs. Also don't assume that the instate player might not be recruited due to things not related to their play on the field that others are willing to take a risk on or don't care about.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 11, 2017, 08:19:57 am
I'm just curious. I haven't seen anyone specify this. What exactly are and were his off the field issues? Can we please stop making excuses for this coaching staff and just man up and say we didn't offer him but maybe we should have. Especially after the White and Porter deal fell through. We had room for them but we didn't have room for Crockett correct?
He likes weed.  Known, and now proven, fact.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 11, 2017, 03:17:25 pm
Don't always assume that all players in Arkansas or any state loves the big instate college team. Also don't assume that the position they are recruiting doesn't have other higher rated players from out of state that commits and signs. Also don't assume that the instate player might not be recruited due to things not related to their play on the field that others are willing to take a risk on or don't care about.
1. I don't assume that but if I'm mistaken K.J. was committed tot he Hogs as some point.
2. What other receiver did we have on our roster that was rated higher than K.J. Hill?
3. What kind of trouble did Crockett get into when he was in high school?

I'll hang up and listen...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 11, 2017, 04:13:33 pm
He likes weed.  Known, and now proven, fact.
Quite a few of the kids on these football teams like weed believe it or not. High School and NFL too. Some just don't get caught sitting in the parking lot of the school campus doing it. Have you not heard? Weed is legal in quite a few states now.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: greenie on August 11, 2017, 02:56:44 pm
TJ Hammonds was the 2nd RB
T.J. Hammonds was recruited as an athlete or an all-purpose back. Basically a utility type player. A WR/RB. Not an every down RB or someone that can carry the load if need be.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 12, 2017, 07:22:58 am
Quite a few of the kids on these football teams like weed believe it or not. High School and NFL too. Some just don't get caught sitting in the parking lot of the school campus doing it. Have you not heard? Weed is legal in quite a few states now.
It"s not in Arkansas or Missouri.  And even if it is, it's not legal for 18 year olds.  It is also against NCAA and NFL Rules.

Believe it or not.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 12, 2017, 08:07:07 am
It"s not in Arkansas or Missouri.  And even if it is, it's not legal for 18 year olds.  It is also against NCAA and NFL Rules.

Believe it or not.
Duh, you missed the whole point. If that's the worst he has done I can deal with it.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 12, 2017, 11:14:25 am
Duh, you missed the whole point. If that's the worst he has done I can deal with it.
No, YOU missed the point.  It is ILLEGAL.  It is also AGAINST SEC AND NCAA RULES.  Therefore, it isn't something our staff was willing to overlook.

You asked what character issues he showed.  Smoking an illegal substance is a character issue.  Breaking the law and the rules of the institution who regulates your ability to help your team win is a character,issue.  It doesn't make a tinker's damn whether you "can live with it".
All Gas, No Brakes!