Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wisconsin losing another coach?

Started by Hogdomer, December 10, 2014, 04:29:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggish1

Quote from: yraciv on December 10, 2014, 05:53:07 pm
You might have more kids in a 500 mile radius, but I don't think many of them grew up Oregon State fans and won't have loyalties to you over the other schools. 

San Francisco to the S. is almost 600 miles.  Portland is about 120 miles N. then Seattle is another150 miles further, but that's it.  To the W. is nothing but Pacific Ocean and E. is farmland and trout streams.

For starters Madison is over a quarter million and Wisconsin is nearly 6 million. Chicago is only 90 miles SE., not to mention Minneapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Indianapolis for starters, which are all within 350 miles or shorter from Madison.

You sure...?

Danny J

Quote from: ricepig on December 10, 2014, 05:22:28 pm
@McMurphyESPN:Barry Alvarez said he'd consider coaching Wisconsin in @outbackbowl
He might as well.....they were under CBB and are now running basically what he wants run. He is the Petrino of AD's. He is a control freak and the fans had better wake up to that fact otherwise they will continue to have these problems.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Fatty McGee on December 10, 2014, 09:27:01 pm
Read this on a Wisconsin board.  Funny because it talks about how unique they are, but almost everything they say has been said here at one point or another.  Everyone thinks they're special:

"UW football is now an established brand built on some principles and a foundation that are going to be very hard to just ignore or overturn for the current or next "big thing". Success doing things the Wisconsin way is just too recent, and the depths of the Morton era are simply still too fresh, to think that you're just going to be able to steer the institution wholesale in a new direction. Inertia won't allow it, at least until the force overcoming that inertia is irresistible. GA was not an irresistible force.

For better or worse, that's were UW is right now. I'm perfectly comfortable with that. I hope GA left because he was frustrated that he couldn't do things a certain way here. It just reinforces to me that the program is what I thought it was. I still firmly believe that with the right coach and just a little bit of good fortune, nothing is stopping the football program from doing what the basketball team did in March. Just keep putting a quality team on the field, keep believing in what you are doing, and keep taking your shots. Modern Wisconsin has never been a mercenary program. It's been a program built on kids who want to be here, kids buying in and kids developing. THAT is what sustains success, not rolling the dice every year on guys who may or may not want to be here for a while.

I hope the next guy "gets it". I don't think GA ever really did. UW isn't like a lot of other jobs. That's not crowing in a "UW's darn don't stink" way, or taking a position of moral superiority. It's just the fact of the situation. "

Good stuff.

jvanhorn

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 10, 2014, 04:44:57 pm
Confirmed... All over twitter (not just FootballScoop)... This just tells me that Bielema leaving was more than just getting his coaches paid. It's hard to coach under Barry Alvarez.

I think that was also the case for Hatfield, and others, trying to coach under Frank Broyles.  This is actually the complaint I have of him.  In every other case we hit the lottery when we got him, but this was definitely his weak spot.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Boarmonger on December 10, 2014, 08:30:09 pm
Anchorage is surprisingly not too bad.  Spent the month of Jan there some years ago.  Never got below 21F.

Was stationed at Elmendorf for 3 years.  Felt wind cill of -28F.  Summers are fantastic.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 10, 2014, 04:44:53 pm
What this is showing is that Bielema's ability to sell Madison, Wisconsin to folks in south Florida was extremely underrated.

Very well said... +1  :razorback:

redeye

Quote from: FearTheTusk91 on December 10, 2014, 05:27:30 pm
I live in Madison, too, and people really are shocked.

It's funny, I was just having lunch with one of my Badger friends and he was already upset about the state of the program with the shellacking they got in the B1G Championship game, the impending shellacking against Auburn in the Outback Bowl, and then opening up next season with a shellacking against Bama in Texas.  Those are some demoralizing defeats.

They had to know scheduling LSU and Alabama wasn't a good idea.  Serves them right, because I'm sure they were hoping to make some sort of point after Bielema left for the SEC.

redeye

Quote from: arkmark on December 10, 2014, 09:05:52 pm
The problem he faced was he came to a program that was running back U with a 10-15 year history of top running backs and good tight ends who could catch and more importantly block.

Sorry, but ESPN bestowed that title to Arkansas, so you'll need to find something else for Wisky.

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 10, 2014, 09:26:17 pm
Well, this should stop all the, "Bielema sucks because he left us" stuff. Now they've got somebody else to get ticked at.

Yea, and I'm not gonna lie... that will be a relief.  The butthurt from Wisky and Big Ten fans for Bielema leaving is tiresome.

lechon

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 10, 2014, 05:45:06 pm
Oregon State is similar to being the Arkansas of the PAC 12. So, if we can recruit here, Anderson can recruit in Corvallis. As a current beaver, I am thrilled with the hire!

8)
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

redeye

One glaring difference between how Bielema and Andersen left: Bielema left after a 70-31 victory over #14 Nebraska, while Andersen left after a 59-0 loss to Ohio State.  Both left after their last regular season game, and while Andersen did beat a 16th ranked Nebraska team pretty well in his final year, Bielema lost to 6th ranked Ohio State in OT.  Edge to Bielema.

ChitownHawg

What I learned from CBP's departure is it can take a couple of years for "issues" of the departure to show up on the field. CBB proved he could develop players. Wisconsin is still winning with CBB's developed / recruited players. What was Wisconsin's class like last year and this coming class?

The Badgers may not see the downfall for another year.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

twistitup

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 11, 2014, 05:29:33 am

The downfall began with a pounding from osu, then the coach leaving.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ZERO

It's funny to read the denial, but it's not much different than us when we lost Petrino. Every major school does this very thing when they get spurned or get a bruised ego somehow. I won't case stones and I have no particular animosity toward Wisconsin.

The whole thing may not be because of Alvarez, I'm sure we'll find out in the weeks to come. Nonetheless, they may need to see that this guy is now doing them more harm than good. They've now lost two pretty good coaches in three years. Something smells rotten in Wisconsin, and I don't think it's all the cheese.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

twistitup

Quote from: ZERO on December 11, 2014, 05:48:23 am
Something smells rotten in Wisconsin, and I don't think it's all the cheese.

I concurd

BorderPatrol

The_Iceman

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dirttrackhog on December 10, 2014, 08:43:10 pm
The only thing ive ever loved about the Beavers, is the lovely Sara Jean Underwood!

I dont know why im feeling this, but I think Justin Fuente lands in Madison.

Justin would be a good choice but I wonder if he would go that far north? Born in OK and a Murray State alum. I'm thinking he may wait a couple of more years till something opens where it can actually be above freezing at night. Don't be shocked if Mullen leaves that Justin is considered for MSU. I'm surprised his name wasn't at the top of the list for Kansas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cave City Joe on December 10, 2014, 08:44:19 pm
Oregon St is a step down from Wisky.  Family reasons is just Alverez making a mistake for losing Anderson, who is a good coach.  Whisky will not be able to get a top notch head coach to come in and bend to Alverez's wishes. Alverez will have to find a good coordinator that he thinks he can control for awhile, similar to Coach B because I don't think he is going to change (he is a god in Wisconsin).  Arkansas and Oregon St. have both benefited from Alverez's controlling nature.  Anderson might not win as much in Oregon but he will be a lot happier person.

Perhaps it would be better to look at it another way. Because family might be important to Andersen is exactly WHY he would consider a move "down". It's not far from Oregon to Utah. NEVER underestimate the power of family or the feelings of someone towards their Alma Mater.................We may find that out someday ourselves.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Iwastherein1969

I find it quite ironic after making a visit to BUCKEYVILLE that almost to a man, they bad mouthed Anderson for many of the same things they trashed Bielema about. Yet we have had post after post on Hogville of our fans taking ques from the Wisky fans stating how they wouldn't miss Bielema and how all Bret did was ride the coat tails of Wisky fans love  of their lifetime, Barry Alvarez. Hog fans in here were quoting Wisky fans left and right about CBB. NOW, what do you haters have to say for yourselves ?  You know they would give half their considerable stock of wheels of cheese to get Bret Bielema back. I think many in Hogville, and you know who you are, owe CBB, Jen and the rest of Hogville an apology for parroting a jilted Wisconsin fan base where it concerns our head football coach....Be UNCOMMON  #1-0   Go Hogs !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 10, 2014, 10:40:41 pm
There are too many OSU's in the world of college sports. Especially Okie lite who stole pretty much their entire look from THE OSU in corvallis. OSU was established 1868, tOSU in 1870, and okla state in 1890.

So I guess you believe JUST because Arkansas is Red they stole their color from Harvard.........Righttttttttttt. Come on man those schools having the same colors is not a cause effect relationship. I guess you forgot they have different mascots. I guess you think Oregon State got their mascot from MIT. Tosu isn't even the same color or mascot. There are numerous Tech's, MSU's, TSU's, ASU's and U of's all over the country.

Inhogswetrust

What I learned from CBP's departure is it can take a couple of years for "issues" of the departure to show up on the field. CBB proved he could develop players. Wisconsin is still winning with CBB's developed / recruited players. What was Wisconsin's class like last year and this coming class?

I'm betting they go back to their roots ala Brett and Barry style.

Redhogs

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 11, 2014, 08:29:56 am
I find it quite ironic after making a visit to BUCKEYVILLE that almost to a man, they bad mouthed Anderson for many of the same things they trashed Bielema about. Yet we have had post after post on Hogville of our fans taking ques from the Wisky fans stating how they wouldn't miss Bielema and how all Bret did was ride the coat tails of Wisky fans love  of their lifetime, Barry Alvarez. Hog fans in here were quoting Wisky fans left and right about CBB. NOW, what do you haters have to say for yourselves ?  You know they would give half their considerable stock of wheels of cheese to get Bret Bielema back. I think many in Hogville, and you know who you are, owe CBB, Jen and the rest of Hogville an apology for parroting a jilted Wisconsin fan base where it concerns our head football coach....Be UNCOMMON  #1-0   Go Hogs !
Read their board too, never got the feeling they want Bielema back...nobody likes to be left at the alter...oh yea...I love Martha too!!
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: redeye on December 11, 2014, 02:08:15 am
One glaring difference between how Bielema and Andersen left: Bielema left after a 70-31 victory over #14 Nebraska, while Andersen left after a 59-0 loss to Ohio State.  Both left after their last regular season game, and while Andersen did beat a 16th ranked Nebraska team pretty well in his final year, Bielema lost to 6th ranked Ohio State in OT.  Edge to Bielema.
they did NOT leave after their last regular season games. They both left after Championship Games. BB won and scored 70. GA lost and scored ZERO(whilst conceding 59).

But, yeah, glaringly different.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redeye on December 10, 2014, 11:49:00 pm
Sorry, but ESPN bestowed that title to Arkansas, so you'll need to find something else for Wisky.

Yea, and I'm not gonna lie... that will be a relief.  The butthurt from Wisky and Big Ten fans for Bielema leaving is tiresome.

Just don't listen to what Wisconsin or big10 fans think.

Pig in the Pokey

both years 25-30 range(26 before yesterday). Problem wasn't recruiting. It was development, according to the UW fans.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 11, 2014, 06:09:48 am
Alvarez will be shown the door now.
i actually went to their boards looking for just that but somehow they weren't blaming barry. Like, none of them were. Bunch of Huggers up there!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 11, 2014, 08:29:56 am
beautiful prose.

ChicoHog

I think GA will do fine at Oregon st.  Always going to play second fiddle to Oregon but he will compete.  With mariota leaving it gives him an even better chance.  The Oregon schools rely heavily on SoCal talent that do not go to California schools.  they also recruit NoCal area hard.  Wisconsin has less D1 talent on a annual basis than arkansas.  They recruit New Jersey, California, florida and Texas along with the midwest states. 

I do believe that whoever they hire will have to conform to Barry's brand of football which is probably a good idea in their weather and they have been successful doing it.  Like another poster said they should look at someone who worked there as an assistant like Paul Chryst at Pitt although he has only been with the Panthers a couple of years.  They had a great instate candidate at Wisconsin-Whitewater but he already went to Buffalo. 

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 10, 2014, 11:11:38 pm
I think that was also the case for Hatfield, and others, trying to coach under Frank Broyles.  This is actually the complaint I have of him.  In every other case we hit the lottery when we got him, but this was definitely his weak spot.

And yet Debriyn and McDonnell worked for JFB for three decades.

The_Iceman

Short List seems to be: Paul Cryst, Dave Doeren, Darrell Bevell.

twistitup

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 11, 2014, 09:51:33 am

Do they know Robert Shields?

The_Iceman

Paul

Quote from: Redhogs on December 11, 2014, 08:53:51 am
Read their board too, never got the feeling they want Bielema back...nobody likes to be left at the alter...oh yea...I love Martha too!!
who's Martha?

ricepig

Maybe he can coach 2015 season also RT @KirkHerbstreit: Barry Alvarez will coach Badgers in @OutbackBowl vs Auburn

PonderinHog

twistitup

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 11, 2014, 10:45:26 am
No whey, man.

I think Wisconsin will be ok if they get into a bowl game and rennet for the fans.

stlouiesooie

Quote from: twistitup on December 11, 2014, 10:57:47 am
I think Wisconsin will be ok if they get into a bowl game and rennet for the fans.

Makes sense "tomme"

PorkRinds

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 11, 2014, 09:51:33 am

I haven't been all that impressed with Chryst at Pitt.  I dunno.

The_Iceman

I think Darrell Bevell may be the guy because I think Alvarez will want a guy that will listen to his input. Chryst and Doeren may be too established.

I just feel thats the kind of guy Alvarez in. Like picking Nutt over Tuberville.

twistitup

Quote from: stlouiesooie on December 11, 2014, 11:06:22 am
Makes sense "tomme"

After that loss to osu, Anderson was looking to go anywhere....he just didn't 'fit the mold' at Madison

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on December 11, 2014, 11:45:41 am
After that loss to osu, Anderson was looking to go anywhere....he just didn't 'fit the mold' at Madison

He was looking before, he was interested in Florida, but they weren't interested in him.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: twistitup on December 11, 2014, 11:45:41 am

Well, he certainly didn't leave to make more cheddar. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on December 11, 2014, 11:50:29 am
He was looking before, he was interested in Florida, but they weren't interested in him.

I agree w Florida, he's not the guy to inject success back into Gainsville.

grayhawg

Whoever the new coach is, his #1 job will probably be run the offence Alvarez wants him to run.

twistitup

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2014, 11:59:38 am
Well, he certainly didn't leave to make more cheddar. 

It was more about recruiting, I believe. Anderson believes he can easily recruit a good squad at osu, one that will cream Pac 12 competition.

xaudiblex

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 11, 2014, 09:48:52 am
And yet Debriyn and McDonnell worked for JFB for three decades.

They weren't FOOTBALL coaches.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: twistitup on December 11, 2014, 12:09:15 pm
It was more about recruiting, I believe. Anderson believes he can easily recruit a good squad at osu, one that will cream Pac 12 competition.

Ah man...I was trying to stick with the cheese theme.  For all I know, he may be getting a raise.   8)

If you don't like the cold, then Madison is not the place to be.  I do think Alvarez sticks his nose in too much, and that's probably more of the underlying story, even if other reasons are cited. 

At some point, you have to wonder if BA remembers his success there, and if anyone was telling him what to do.  I know JFB got a reputation for being too hands on, and sometimes I think those guys think they're doing the right thing to help, but they're doing more harm than good.  I'm not sure it's their egos as much as it is just misguided effort toward wanting the best for the programs. 

Either way...there's obviously a concern in Wisconsin when they're starting to look like the ASU of the north. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 11, 2014, 09:11:43 am
i actually went to their boards looking for just that but somehow they weren't blaming barry. Like, none of them were. Bunch of Huggers up there!

For what he did as coach up there for so many years he has earned the right to a few mistakes. Just like Frank did here.