Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone else sick of replay in football?

Started by hogsanity, December 18, 2017, 11:40:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

I know I am. I liked it when each coach had 2 or 3 challenges, AND THAT WAS IT. Coaches had to decide what plays were really worth using a challenge on, and often games went by with neither team using all of the challenges. Now it is every score, every turnover in the nfl, and in college it seems to be every play.  Does it really matter in a bowl game with two 6-6 teams with a 20 pt lead and a minute to go if a guy went down at the 12 or 10?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 11:40:52 am
I know I am. I liked it when each coach had 2 or 3 challenges, AND THAT WAS IT. Coaches had to decide what plays were really worth using a challenge on, and often games went by with neither team using all of the challenges. Now it is every score, every turnover in the nfl, and in college it seems to be every play.  Does it really matter in a bowl game with two 6-6 teams with a 20 pt lead and a minute to go if a guy went down at the 12 or 10?

Only to the players I guess.  I don't mind the booth challenges, they can sometimes determine the true outcome of a game.  The coaches challenges, not so much.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Kevin

YES. also sick of it in basketballl. My gosh they go to the monitor about 6 times a game
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Calling All Hogs

If nothing else I like that it keeps the refs more honest and alert knowing their call will likely be reviewed on the spot.

Science Fiction Greg

No.  Keep replay.  Get rid of monologues from referees.  No idea why we need to put a spotlight on a referee and let him explain things to us verbally over a microphone 10 times a game.  If there's a flag, hand signal to the pressbox and sideline, spot the ball, and snap the stupid thing.  No wonder there are a thousand flags per game.  Refs know they just have to drop their hanky and they get all the screentime they want.

Stupid.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

IronHog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 18, 2017, 11:45:28 am
If nothing else I like that it keeps the refs more honest and alert knowing their call will likely be reviewed on the spot.

Unless it has $$$ implications in the SEC

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HF#1

I think it makes them lazy and less attentive because they have a fall back.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PonderinHog

No, not at all.  Get it right, however long it takes.  Too much possibility for human error at real time speeds.

Amityvillehogger

Kills the momentum of the game when they go to the monitors 6-7 times a game.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 18, 2017, 11:47:58 am
No.  Keep replay.  Get rid of monologues from referees.  No idea why we need to put a spotlight on a referee and let him explain things to us verbally over a microphone 10 times a game.  If there's a flag, hand signal to the pressbox and sideline, spot the ball, and snap the stupid thing.  No wonder there are a thousand flags per game.  Refs know they just have to drop their hanky and they get all the screentime they want.

Stupid.

A kid I knew back in high school picked up a ref's 'hanky' and blew his nose on it one time.  To my knowledge he never played another down of football.  I thought it was pretty funny at the time but I must have been the only one. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hogsanity

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 18, 2017, 11:47:58 am

Stupid.

Most refs hate having to use a mic. They would rather make the signal and go on.

So a ref that can't see the ball wiggle a quarter inch when a player hits the ground and calls it a catch is being dishonest?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 18, 2017, 11:51:20 am
No, not at all.  Get it right, however long it takes.  Too much possibility for human error at real time speeds.

But the game is played at real time speed. It is amazing that for 100 years teams threw and completed forward passes without having to go to super slow mo high def to see if the ball shifted in his grasp when he went to the ground. Or they ran the ball and did not have to go to the replay to see if the ball was at the 22.23334 yard line or the 22.23333 yard line.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 11:51:49 am
Most refs hate having to use a mic. They would rather make the signal and go on.

Good.  Then let's do that.  Why on earth do we need to verbalize it?  I just don't understand it at all.  No other sport does this.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Bubba's Bruisers

I like replay.  A lot.  Might not like some of the rules, but that's a different matter.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

GalaHawg

On the contrary - I hope they can start reviewing pass interference and holding calls as well.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GalaHawg on December 18, 2017, 11:57:14 am
On the contrary - I hope they can start reviewing pass interference calls as well.

They'd have to review every play. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

theFlyingHog

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 18, 2017, 11:55:31 am
Good.  Then let's do that.  Why on earth do we need to verbalize it?  I just don't understand it at all.  No other sport does this.
Fine with me. The commentators know the signals and can tell the folks back home that don't understand

hogsanity

Quote from: GalaHawg on December 18, 2017, 11:57:14 am
On the contrary - I hope they can start reviewing pass interference and holding calls as well.

Are you talking about reviewing when those calls are made or letting some review both look for those and call them even when the officials on the field did not?

hawginbigd1

I am with you, I want it right regardless of time. The other thing I like is that officials now have time to let things play out, instead of making a 50/50 call and killing a play that can now not be changed. i.e. fumble or down, you don't have to call it either way and now the defense can secure and run with the ball. If ref calls it down and stops the play then the defense has been harmed, now they just let it play out and go to the monitor. Minor inconvenience to the fans, but good for the players etc.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

oldhog63

I like replays, but I wish they would figure out a way to speed up the decision even if it meant making a wrong call every once in a while.

ChopSooie

Replays are fine. They just need a replay clock, so they only take a max amount of time.

Wildhog

The stoppages get annoying to me, too, but I'd rather they get it right.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

SPAL

I hate replay. The human element of officiating makes it interesting. As long as they only do replay in baseball the way it is, I'm happy with them using it. But the world baseball classic was a travesty. Every close play at a base was looked at. Fair/foul and home runs should be the only thing reviewed in baseball.

For football, they should determine if a player is down on a turnover and on scoring plays.

1highhog

It really doesn't matter in the long run one way or the other, think about it.  There will be some on here that will say I'm using the "poor little Arkansas never gets a break speech ", but think whatever you want to.  What has kept Arkansas from getting screwed in some huge games even when there has been the use of instant replay but the Refs did not call a penalty and it was plainly seen they were for the other team winning?  Arkansas vs. Florida in the SEC Championship anyone?  What about the terrible non calls that cost us the game against LSU where their player stayed in bounds and the clock should have kept running and they had no time outs?  The Refs called it as he slid out of bounds to stop the clock letting them kick the FG?  Yeah, instant replay only helps when they want it to, it doesn't stop the Refs from cheating.

ShadowTheHedgehog

It depends on who it benefits I guess. The Saints had like 3 TDs called back yesterday that was rough. As a person who likes to watch soccer as well as football, however, I can tell you that I am happy we have Video Replays in football.

hogcards

Yea, something has to be done about it.  They're reviewing everything.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

texas tush hog

RebelliousHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 12:01:05 pm
Are you talking about reviewing when those calls are made or letting some review both look for those and call them even when the officials on the field did not?

Reviewing the call I suspect. Lord knows we don't want it like Golf where some couch potato notices an infraction that went by the on course official and causes the change of the outcome of the game.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

The replays are special to me because I have seen too many wrong calls over time.  There are probably 10 calls per game called wrong and replay corrects about two thirds of them. 

Because we have a few Hogvillers who will swear that Arkansas has never lost a football game ever except when screwed out of it due to cheating refs, I assumed every Hog fan loved the replay.

Smalltownhog95

Replays are great but what happened yesterday in the NFL is PATHETIC. Indisputable evidence doesnt mean what it did 5 years ago. How they overruled an official who called Carolina's bobbled catch incomplete but then say Pittsburg reciever dropped it is a joke.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

hogsanity

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 18, 2017, 12:15:39 pm
I hate replay. The human element of officiating makes it interesting. As long as they only do replay in baseball the way it is, I'm happy with them using it. But the world baseball classic was a travesty. Every close play at a base was looked at. Fair/foul and home runs should be the only thing reviewed in baseball.

For football, they should determine if a player is down on a turnover and on scoring plays.

I'd be fine with that use in football.

Quote from: hogcards on December 18, 2017, 12:19:20 pm
Yea, something has to be done about it.  They're reviewing everything.

The ones that really bug me in college are when it is 3rd and 10 and we get a pass on the sideline for a 3 yard gain making it 4th and 7, neither coach is saying anything at all about it, punt teams are on the field, and the ref comes running in at the snap because he just got buzzed from the booth that they want to look at at the previous play. Then they take 3 minutes to decide they do not have enough to change the call.

Put it back on the coaches. Give them 5 challenges each, but get rid of this every play is reviewable by the booth.

Bubba's Bruisers

I know they got the replay call right last night. And what a game changer it was.

Big Ben just screwed the pooch after that.

hogsanity

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on December 18, 2017, 12:30:09 pm
Replays are great but what happened yesterday in the NFL is PATHETIC. Indisputable evidence doesnt mean what it did 5 years ago. How they overruled an official who called Carolina's bobbled catch incomplete but then say Pittsburg reciever dropped it is a joke.

I was watching this game whole at a party so I did not get to hear the explanation, but from what I saw, he caught the ball, turned, knees went down, he reached for the EZ, and when his hands hit the ground the ball moved like a 1/8th of a rotation. That's the kind of stuff that the NFL game has come down to I guess.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 12:57:15 pm
I was watching this game whole at a party so I did not get to hear the explanation, but from what I saw, he caught the ball, turned, knees went down, he reached for the EZ, and when his hands hit the ground the ball moved like a 1/8th of a rotation. That's the kind of stuff that the NFL game has come down to I guess.

By rule, clearly not a catch, but me bets the rule is going to be updated in the off season.

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: HenduHog on December 18, 2017, 12:25:10 pm
Reviewing the call I suspect. Lord knows we don't want it like Golf where some couch potato notices an infraction that went by the on course official and causes the change of the outcome of the game.

Golf just got rid of this policy last week.  Time for football to amend their replay policies as well.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on December 18, 2017, 01:00:53 pm
Golf just got rid of this policy last week.  Time for football to amend their replay policies as well.

Thankfully.

1highhog

The Dallas Oakland game was a great game to show you the need for replay, that last play that Oakland ran was way close until the replay showed clear evidence that the ball belonged to Dallas.  That's why I'm a proponent of replay.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 12:59:08 pm
By rule, clearly not a catch, but me bets the rule is going to be updated in the off season.

Maybe. Just seems before replay what was a catch, in the nfl, was ball in hand two feet or a knee down ( or backside ). Once they started the replay it became control+feet+football move+ control through the catch + ball can touch ground but only if we think you had control 1st+voodoo curse from New Orleans voodoo priest.

SooieGeneris

This. There were so many more bad calls back before replay, some ridiculously bad. It's worth it to get the call right.

What drives me nuts is when a call is replayed and they STILL get it wrong, but that is a byproduct of replay. Still better than the old throw mud at the wall and see what sticks system..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 01:04:39 pm
Maybe. Just seems before replay what was a catch, in the nfl, was ball in hand two feet or a knee down ( or backside ). Once they started the replay it became control+feet+football move+ control through the catch + ball can touch ground but only if we think you had control 1st+voodoo curse from New Orleans voodoo priest.

Don't know when the rule was implemented, or how it's evolved, but as I understand it, it's fairly simple.  If the reciever is going to the ground in the process of making a catch, the receiver must maintain possession through impact with the ground.  Dude last night clearly didn't maintain possession at impact.  Like the Dez Bryant overturn in the PO's a few years ago, I don't believe a "football move" is applicable in this situation.

hogsanity

Quote from: 1highhog on December 18, 2017, 01:03:52 pm
The Dallas Oakland game was a great game to show you the need for replay, that last play that Oakland ran was way close until the replay showed clear evidence that the ball belonged to Dallas.  That's why I'm a proponent of replay.

Umm, the officials on the field called touchback almost immediately. The side judge and back judge had that play boxed in quite nicely.

HamGrowsOnTrees

CFB has morphed from a game for the kids and schools to a game for the Fans. The Fans pay For All of this Now. Replay is horrible. All replay. The "get it right" crowd are full of millennials and people yet to realize that life isn't fair. I quit watching the nfl two years ago over the speed and flow of the game stopping. I'll do the same as this nonsense trickles down.

In the big scheme of things.... it's a game. I don't care if a call is wrong because guess what? I'll wake up tomorrow and still enjoy life.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 01:09:43 pm
Don't know when the rule was implemented, or how it's evolved, but as I understand it, it's fairly simple.  If the reciever is going to the ground in the process of making a catch, the receiver must maintain possession through impact with the ground.  Dude last night clearly didn't maintain possession at impact.  Like the Dez Bryant overturn in the PO's a few years ago, I don't believe a "football move" is applicable in this situation.

Which is my point. If I catch the ball with two feet on the ground and take a step then fall down, it is a catch even if I drop it when I hit the ground, but if I catch it with two feet on the ground, immediately turn my torso go to a knee and reach for the goal line and the ball moves when I hit the ground, somehow that is not a catch.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 01:12:53 pm
Which is my point. If I catch the ball with two feet on the ground and take a step then fall down, it is a catch even if I drop it when I hit the ground, but if I catch it with two feet on the ground, immediately turn my torso go to a knee and reach for the goal line and the ball moves when I hit the ground, somehow that is not a catch.

Except in your latter scenario, you're seemingly suggesting that the reciever had a choice not to go to the ground.  As if he was in complete control of his body and could have caught the ball and avoided going to the ground.  I don't agree that he could.  And that's the distinction.  It was obvious.  Just like the Dez Bryant  play a few years back.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 01:18:37 pm
Except in your latter scenario, you're seemingly suggesting that the reciever had a choice not to go to the ground.  As if he was in complete control of his body and could have caught the ball and avoided going to the ground.  I don't agree that he could.  And that's the distinction.  It was obvious.  Just like the Dez Bryant  play a few years back.

What I am saying is why should it matter if, when the ball was caught, the receiver had two feet on the ground? And that was the definition before replay came along. Two feet on the ground, inbounds, and control of the ball.

riccoar

This.  Makes the game a lot less controversial when it's not 100% left to the guys on the field.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 01:21:10 pm
What I am saying is why should it matter if, when the ball was caught, the receiver had two feet on the ground? And that was the definition before replay came along. Two feet on the ground, inbounds, and control of the ball.

And I already said...

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 12:59:08 pm

hogsanity

Quote from: riccoar on December 18, 2017, 01:24:04 pm
This.  Makes the game a lot less controversial when it's not 100% left to the guys on the field.

Except all the times that replay either does not overturn a call or does so in a way many do not agree with. Big headline on yahoo sports today " replay officials take game away from Steelers ". Or when replay decides a guy bobbling a ball all the way to ground somehow had control when hit the ground, and even though the ball moved he still had control.

But my op was just that I am tired of so much replay. Again, give the coaches X # of challenges, and let them decide what plays are important enough to them to use one. And, if they challenge and win they do not lose a challenge.

Close plays are always going to lead to controversy.