Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early Signing Period

Started by bphi11ips, December 17, 2017, 02:09:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Good article on a subject discussed recently in the thread on Finebaum's interview with CCM:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/943263001
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawginbigd1

So many players graduating and enrolling early, that this was a natural evolution. One of the biggest reasons is it does away with the FAA, that leaves schools flapping in the wind until that LOI gets completed. So here you go boys and girls sign early and enroll early or not.

Snout team

For teams that have stability in the coaching rank it is a good thing.  For all the teams searching for a coaching staff it could prove to be very detrimental. 
Of course before now teams just waited longer to fire the assistant coaches.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

hoghiker

I bet its changed. How much I don't know. I could see it being pushed back or eliminated completely.

hogsanity

Quote from: hoghiker on December 18, 2017, 08:40:47 am
I bet its changed. How much I don't know. I could see it being pushed back or eliminated completely.

I see no point i having it so close to the normal signing date. Make it in June or August.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The NewEra

I expect to see multiple coordinator and position coaching changes after the early signing period and the teams respective bowl games.

If I'm a kid who has the offer letter from my dream school I'm signing my LOI on Wednesday.  If I'm committing to a specific coach because of the relationship we have built, then I'm holding off for the traditional signing period just to make sure there aren't any major changes in the program I'm committing to. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think they should have left it alone.  The footall NSD and the period leading up to it had been come an even unto itself.  It was a nice bridge between bowls/championship game and spring games. 

The early period is just bad all around.

Causes coaches to be fired faster, and rushes coaching searches.
Puts incoming coach behind the 8 ball with about 2 weeks time to try to salvage a class.
Shorter window after coach is fired puts more pressure on kids.  Yes they can wait til February signing day but then coaches can pressure them by saying well we can't guarantee a spot for you.
While it may be somewhat beneficial for sitting coaches. They now have to put more recruiting time in, in season which means less game prep/planning.  Also have to put recruiting time in during bowl season again less game prep.

While backing it up say to August could solve some problems it can create new ones as well.  What if a kid signs then coach is fired?  Schools should have to release kids if this is the case.  It then give ** coaches a crutch.  Well I've got X,Y,Z recruits coming in just give me more time.  If the coach is still fired new coach is really starting from scratch.

The real point is NSD is something that was working well, was actually a great marketing tool for CFB to keep the excitement going and did not need to be changed.  It was a solution looking for a problem.  If early enrollees were an issue, figure a work around such as signing an FAA letting the kid enroll and start classes but he doesn't count against your 25 nor is he bound to the school until NLI is signed on the normal signing day. 

Best thing to do is throw up a mea culpa say it created more problems than it solved and go back to February date.

More time leads to better decisions in firing, hiring and a kid deciding where he wants to go.  Less time/rushed decisions usually lead to suboptimal outcomes.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The NewEra

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 08:46:33 am
I see no point i having it so close to the normal signing date. Make it in June or August.

Agreed!  June or August makes sense for those who are committing to the school regardless.  The coaches are the only ones who benefit by this in December and the kids stand to lose a lot with coaching changes after their signing.

The NewEra

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 18, 2017, 09:06:42 am
I think they should have left it alone.  The footall NSD and the period leading up to it had been come an even unto itself.  It was a nice bridge between bowls/championship game and spring games. 

Puts incoming coach behind the 8 ball with about 2 weeks time to try to salvage a class.
Shorter window after coach is fired puts more pressure on kids.  Yes they can wait til February signing day but then coaches can pressure them by saying well we can't guarantee a spot for you.
While it may be somewhat beneficial for sitting coaches. They now have to put more recruiting time in, in season which means less game prep/planning.  Also have to put recruiting time in during bowl season again less game prep.

While backing it up say to August could solve some problems it can create new ones as well.  What if a kid signs then coach is fired?  Schools should have to release kids if this is the case.  It then give ** coaches a crutch.  Well I've got X,Y,Z recruits coming in just give me more time.  If the coach is still fired new coach is really starting from scratch.

The real point is NSD is something that was working well, was actually a great marketing tool for CFB to keep the excitement going and did not need to be changed.  It was a solution looking for a problem.  If early enrollees were an issue, figure a work around such as signing an FAA letting the kid enroll and start classes but he doesn't count against your 25 nor is he bound to the school until NLI is signed on the normal signing day. 

Best thing to do is throw up a mea culpa say it created more problems than it solved and go back to February date.

More time leads to better decisions in firing, hiring and a kid deciding where he wants to go.  Less time/rushed decisions usually lead to suboptimal outcomes.

+1

DeltaBoy

It just a big old mess to me.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

go hogues

Same.

I guess their reasoning is that they wanted it after state championships but before spring enrollment, for those who would also be enrolling early?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: go hogues on December 18, 2017, 09:14:06 am
Same.

I guess their reasoning is that they wanted it after state championships but before spring enrollment, for those who would also be enrolling early?

I can see the logic for early enrollees. I think the early signing period should be limited to those guys.

hawgon

Never mind coaching changes, how are you supposed to recruit if you have a bowl game?  What if you are in the playoffs and have a chance to win a NC?  How do you do both without sacrificing a little in one or the other?  Your reward for making the playoffs?  Your rivals try to pilfer your recruits who might be feeling a little neglected because your staff is busy trying to win a national championship instead of fawning over then incessantly.

And as it has been noted, what is the point?  Signing day is a little more than a month away anyway.  It just seems like a really stupid idea.

Hogarusa

Its not that bad or big of a deal.  Coaches will figure it out and get used to it.
Its not like they start recruiting these kids 2 weeks before signing day. 

Recruiting should trump a silly bowl game but also practice is 2-3 hrs in the day, there's 22 hours left in the day to hit the recruiting trail.

If you're a playoff team, recruiting takes care of itself. Not to mention you have a full stupid month to prepare for your playoff game. You should be able to easily balance both, doubtful those 4 will have any recruiting issues.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hogsanity

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 18, 2017, 09:06:42 am

The early period is good for some players. IF a kid only has one or maybe two offers that he really is interested in, no reason making him wait until Feb when the offer may be pulled.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bubba's Bruisers

Do we let the kid out of the LOI if there's a coaching change the following December?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: go hogues on December 18, 2017, 09:14:06 am
Same.

Texas kids are playing Wednesday through Saturday for their championships.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 09:36:29 am
Do we let the kid out of the LOI if there's a coaching change the following December?

I have long been a proponent of giving a kid one free transfer without having to sit out, so I would say yes, but that counts as his one free transfer. Or look at it like they do in basketball when that comes up.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 10:04:05 am
I have long been a proponent of giving a kid one free transfer without having to sit out, so I would say yes, but that counts as his one free transfer. Or look at it like they do in basketball when that comes up.

Does one free transfer defeat the purpose of the early signing period?

I like the idea of an August signing period to the extent it takes the pressure off players before their senior season and allows schools to focus on who is left.  Schools, though, might prefer the December period because of injuries that an athlete may suffer during his senior year. Coaches also want to see how players perform during their senior year.  Some are undeniable earlier, but many are not. 

Many athletes, especially FCS level players, don't prove their worth before their senior year.  The early signing period applies to FBS and FCS.  Players may also have early FCS, G5 and lower P5 offers but want to see if they can improve upon them.  Also, an athlete who is number 2 or lower on a school's board at a position may want to jump in early if he can.  What does the athlete who is number 1 but waiting on a better offer do with the early date?

As the article points out, there is a tremendous amount of uncertainty on both sides with the early date.  It may turn out to be a solution looking for a problem. 

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 18, 2017, 10:27:24 am

I like the idea of an August signing period to the extent it takes the pressure off players before their senior season and allows schools to focus on who is left.  Schools, though, might prefer the December period because of injuries that an athlete may suffer during the senior year. Coaches also want to see how players perform during their senior year.  Some are undeniable earlier, but many are not. 

Many athletes, especially FCS level players, don't prove their worth before their senior year.  The early signing period applies to FBS and FCS.  Players may also have early FCS, G5 and lower P5 offers but want to see if they can improve upon them.  Also, an athlete who is number 2 or lower on a school's board at a position may want to jump in early if he can.  What does the athlete who is number 1 do with the early date?

As the article points out, there is a tremendous amount of uncertainty on both sides with the early date.  It may turn out to be a solution looking for a problem. 

Players looking for better offers are playing giant game of chicken anyway. If they already have an offer or offers, holding out for a better one is risky.

I never thought having a early period, approx 45 days before the main one, was much of a solution to anything, assuming an early period is needed at all.

Oklahawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 18, 2017, 10:27:24 am

I like the idea of an August signing period to the extent it takes the pressure off players before their senior season and allows schools to focus on who is left.  Schools, though, might prefer the December period because of injuries that an athlete may suffer during his senior year. Coaches also want to see how players perform during their senior year.  Some are undeniable earlier, but many are not. 

Many athletes, especially FCS level players, don't prove their worth before their senior year.  The early signing period applies to FBS and FCS.  Players may also have early FCS, G5 and lower P5 offers but want to see if they can improve upon them.  Also, an athlete who is number 2 or lower on a school's board at a position may want to jump in early if he can.  What does the athlete who is number 1 but waiting on a better offer do with the early date?

I like the August signing date for mid-year graduates.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 10:30:02 am
Players looking for better offers are playing giant game of chicken anyway. If they already have an offer or offers, holding out for a better one is risky.

I never thought having a early period, approx 45 days before the main one, was much of a solution to anything, assuming an early period is needed at all.

It's not a game of chicken.  Every situation is different.  Billy Ferrell apparently just got the offer he wanted. 

What about the players in limbo who were talking to schools where coaching staffs were just replaced?  What if that is where they want to play?  Do they move on and take their second choice to keep from losing it?

East TN HAWG

Quote from: #hammerdown on December 17, 2017, 08:09:04 pm
For teams that have stability in the coaching rank it is a good thing.  For all the teams searching for a coaching staff it could prove to be very detrimental. 
Of course before now teams just waited longer to fire the assistant coaches.
+1

This is correct.  The only ones crying are the new coaches.  For us, the change over occurred on a good year with very few slots to fill.  This is now to our benefit for at least the next 5 years.

ChicoHog

I think it's great for the kids who are 100% committed to a school like Pool and Noland. they sign in December and coaching staff does not have to spend any time in January recruiting them just to make sure no one flips them. I bet 75% of verbal commits to Power 5 schools sign in December.  The other 25% are up for grabs and they will get even more attention for the next 6 weeks until Feb signing date.  Also the guy who has a lower level offer but it waiting for a big time offer may get left out as fewer flips are happening.  And the best news is maybe it eliminates some of the drama queens who need their 15 minutes of fame on Feb signing day picking a hat on TV. 

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 18, 2017, 10:53:27 am

Do they move on and take their second choice to keep from losing it?

That is up to them and is one of the benefits to players of having an early signing period. They can lock up something if they want to do so, or they can wait until Feb and see what is still on the table.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 11:22:08 am
That is up to them and is one of the benefits to players of having an early signing period. They can lock up something if they want to do so, or they can wait until Feb and see what is still on the table.

It is definitely not a benefit. There are many players in that position this week who would not be faced with the decision were it not for the early date.  Worse, there is no precedent for either side to consider. The early date is new territory and both coaches and players are going to learn from this experience.

I don't believe this early signing period helped Arkansas at all and indeed hindered us this year.  We got more maybes and what ifs going on around here than we can handle right now and asking recruits to sign with us without knowing even who their position coach is doesn't sound likely.

We got some Kids who will likely leave us if they can find a new home quickly, some offered that we now, don't want, and others that we won't but don't have the time left to move them our way.  For us, it is a serious mess.

I would guess that we have some players onboard that we would like to move out if given the opportunity.  Though we may feel they are not helpful to us, it is unlikely we would toss them and them not have a reasonable opportunity to catch on somewhere else.  But in our situation, we just don't have time on our side to think through the process and make decisions that benefit Arkansas.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 18, 2017, 11:41:15 am
It is definitely not a benefit. There are many players in that position this week who would not be faced with the decision were it not for the early date.  Worse, there is no precedent for either side to consider. The early date is new territory and both coaches and players are going to learn from this experience.

So a kid has one offer and can lock it up this week. How is that not a benefit to the player?

Want to know why a lot of coaches do not like it? Because they can not string kids along as easily anymore. They have offers out to kids that they would pull if they can find someone better to offer, those kids may sign early and take away that leverage.

And then there are the coaches who just changed jobs, it must be a night mare for them.

I like an early signing period but it should be much earlier than 45 days from NSD.

bphi11ips

Quote from: 12247 on December 18, 2017, 11:49:46 am
I don't believe this early signing period helped Arkansas at all and indeed hindered us this year.  We got more maybes and what ifs going on around here than we can handle right now and asking recruits to sign with us without knowing even who their position coach is doesn't sound likely.

We got some Kids who will likely leave us if they can find a new home quickly, some offered that we now, don't want, and others that we won't but don't have the time left to move them our way.  For us, it is a serious mess.

I would guess that we have some players onboard that we would like to move out if given the opportunity.  Though we may feel they are not helpful to us, it is unlikely we would toss them and them not have a reasonable opportunity to catch on somewhere else.  But in our situation, we just don't have time on our side to think through the process and make decisions that benefit Arkansas.

My thoughts exactly. The timing of the early date is awful for staffs and players impacted by transition. That is one of the areas where the experience may guide the NCAA's committee in the future.

Arkansas is not the only team in this situation, but it is exacerbated by the small number of scholarships available.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 11:57:35 am
So a kid has one offer and can lock it up this week. How is that not a benefit to the player?

In the hypothetical I raised earlier, it is a benefit to the second choice and a detriment to the first choice.  When there is a transition in coaching staffs the situation is worse.

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 11:57:35 am
I like an early signing period but it should be much earlier than 45 days from NSD.

I agreed with you earlier.  If there is to be an early signing date it should be before the season. 

ChopSooie

With Christmas so close, i forgot about the signing day. It is Wednesday correct? So Bohanon on Tuesday announces as well? Could be a big week for us. It would be nice to get a DC, but maybe that comes post New Year.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 09:36:29 am

kids commit to the school, not the coach. If you are a recruit and making choices based solely on the coach then hopefully you are paying real close attention to coaching rumors, because rarely are thse moves huge surprises
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ChopSooie

Can recruits sign anytime between the early period and the lates period?

hogsanity

Quote from: ChopSooie on December 18, 2017, 12:21:59 pm
Can recruits sign anytime between the early period and the lates period?

Believe they can sign Wed, Thur or Fri, after that they have to wait until Feb.