Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting w no DC

Started by twistitup, December 15, 2017, 10:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jones3744

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:20:03 pm
Well Bishop is a 3 star, not a 4 star.  And Ferrell isn't committed yet. 

I'll stay with my narrative is that defensive recruiting won't be as good as it might otherwise be with a DC in place.

Who cares what these people rate these kids. Either the kid can play or not and Bishop can play. Coach Tuberville even stated when Ray Lewis came out of high school he was rated  1*. He turned out to be pretty darn good

twistitup

Quote from: hoglady on December 15, 2017, 01:17:07 pm
What defensive recruit are we on in this early signing period

We will never know
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 01:30:49 pm
Those numbers will change. Morris will have to cut some fat left behind by Bielema. I think they will bring in 20 guys or so.
i agree. and i hope so.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hoghiker

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2017, 11:50:36 am
Every day my mam, every day.....
Let's spread the wealth. How many middle aged pudgy men could keep the secret? My guess is not many. As they use to say on Hew-Haw, "I don't repeat gossip, so listen close the first time".

woodhog14

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:25:05 pm
Holy cow man. First you make up the fact that he's a 4 star and now you try to convince why he's better than the guy we lost.  Why can't everything you said be true AND it also be true that recruiting defensive players would be easier if the DC and staff was in place?
He is rated a 4* by Rivals. So there's that...

woodhog14

Well Bishop is a 3 star, not a 4 star.  And Ferrell isn't committed yet. 

I'll stay with my narrative is that defensive recruiting won't be as good as it might otherwise be with a DC in place.
Ok buddy. You're right. My bad.

SooieGeneris

December 15, 2017, 03:50:31 pm #56 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:05:39 pm by SooieGeneris
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 15, 2017, 01:25:05 pm
Holy cow man. First you make up the fact that he's a 4 star and now you try to convince why he's better than the guy we lost.  Why can't everything you said be true AND it also be true that recruiting defensive players would be easier if the DC and staff was in place?

Bishop IS a 4 star on Rivals.com. Maybe you prefer Scout, ESPN or 24/7, but that does not change the fact that the kid is a 4 star on at least one service.

Also, for those freaking out about the offense/defense distribution in this class or the lack of safeties, Sean Michael Flanagan is listed as a safety on Rivals, not a WR.

I'm pretty sure he was listed as a WR before, don't know for sure, but that does give us a commit at safety who is also a 4 star on Rivals..

The offense has 6 commits listed, the defense has 5 and 4 of the commits on offense are linemen. Does anyone think we are all set on the O line and don't need any more?

Anyone with eyes should be able to see a need there, not to mention both QBs who saw much action surely have the scars to prove it.

Yes, it likely would be easier to recruit with a DC in place, but getting the right fit at DC is more important IMO than just hiring someone if your guy is in a big Bowl or playoff game.

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2018/arkansas
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

HogPharmer

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 15, 2017, 03:50:31 pm
Bishop IS a 4 star on Rivals.com. Maybe you prefer Scout, ESPN or 24/7, but that does not change the fact that the kid is a 4 star on at least one service.

Also, for those freaking out about the offense/defense distribution in this class or the lack of safeties, Sean Michael Flanagan is listed as a safety on Rivals, not a WR.

I'm pretty sure he was listed as a WR before, don't know for sure, but that does give us a commit at safety who is also a 4 star on Rivals..

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2018/arkansas

Mom always said she thought I was a 5*
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Dionysos25

Quote from: tusked on December 15, 2017, 10:11:39 am
Defense, we don't need no stinken defense.

Chad, you better back up, we don't have time to pick up enough defense.

Defense? Where we're going, we don't need defense.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

Hogtimes

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 10:48:58 am
Easy... Tell them if word gets out and he links the leak them, then he's pulling their scholly.

What about sister Sallly's girl friend that is in the room and is clueless about all this and tells her boy friend etc

Billy Bats

Quote from: twistitup on December 15, 2017, 10:08:43 am
Hard to recruit D players w no DC...they want to know!

If we had no OC...same would happen on that side. Kids want to know the style being played

Which would be concerning if Morris wasn't planning on hiring a DC.

qbrew

That depends on who the DC ends up being. The promise of the best DC in football, with speculation of Venables or Grinch, could be a bigger draw than who we end up with. Only time will tell.

PorkSoda

If we had no OC...same would happen on that side. Kids want to know the style being played
depending on the quality of hire, it might be easier to sell them on who the DC might be rather than the reality of who it is.

seriously though. as long has the DC is in place early january, we still have time to recruit.  anyone signing in december is obviously not interested in flipping their commitment.  so it would be a waste of time recruiting them anyway.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Boarmonger

I suspect what Morris is actually selling right now is that the D players we are interested in don't have to sign now.  It would be in their best interest to wait and talk to the new D.C. and their Position Coach themselves in Jan and make up their mind in Feb.  if they are interested in Mortis and/or the Hogs, they'll wait.

SSFrazorback

twistitup

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 15, 2017, 05:31:59 pm
depending on the quality of hire, it might be easier to sell them on who the DC might be rather than the reality of who it is.

seriously though. as long has the DC is in place early january, we still have time to recruit.  anyone signing in december is obviously not interested in flipping their commitment.  so it would be a waste of time recruiting them anyway.

Haven't we already flipped a few of recruits that will be signing in Dec?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 11:01:24 am
Ladarrius Bishop - 4* on Rivals. 247 Composite has him as a 3*
word gets out that a recruit gets flipped and ends up playing for Arkansas, these publications with the talking heads will automatically drop one star off the recruits evaluation...strangest thing I've ever seen...maybe it has something to do with the fact that people from Arkansas doesn't subscribe to their computerized 'fish wraps' of information ?  nah, money doesn't mean anything to those guys, its all about being accurate...riiiiiiiiight
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Phil D

Crappy situation but only half of our class is coming in the early signing period per CCM so maybe just relax a little.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Pork Twain

Still plenty of time to finish out this class, which is almost done anyway.  There is absolutely no reason to rush this hire.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/