Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee @ Vandy 7:30P CST SEC Network

Started by jbcarol, January 14, 2017, 10:48:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/GrantRamey/status/820014847702265856

QuoteWhen Rick Barnes was hired at Clemson in 1994, a prospect named Bryce Drew was on his radar.

"He was unsigned," Barnes said of Drew, Indiana's Mr. Basketball as a senior at Valparaiso High School. "He and his family actually came through Clemson, paid their own way to come through there."

The Drews had to pay their way because of the probation Barnes inherited with Clemson's program. Barnes and his staff had only two visits to use over the first two years on the job.

"We couldn't afford to waste two visits," Barnes said. "We had to actually save them for the following year. I went up and sat down with (Drew's) family, got around them."

Bryce Drew ended up staying home and playing for his father, Homer Drew, at Valparaiso University. He became known for 'The Shot' in the 1998 NCAA Tournament, sinking No. 4-seed Ole Miss with a buzzer beater in the first round of the tournament and advancing the 13th-seeded Crusaders.

After a seven-year professional career -- he was the No. 16 overall pick in the 1998 NBA Draft -- Drew started his coaching career back at Valparaiso, where he became head coach in 2011 after his father retired. He went 124-49 in five seasons before being hired at Vanderbilt.

His brother, Scott, is in his 14th season at Baylor.

"Obviously I've coached against his brother for a number of years," Barnes said. "It's a family that loves athletics. Bryce was a really good player, he really was. But, yeah, I've gotten to know him through the years."

Bryce Drew is 8-8 in his first 16 games at Vanderbilt. The Commodores fell 87-81 against No. 6 Kentucky in Nashville on Tuesday.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 4m4 minutes ago

Jordan Bone hits another 3. He has a career-high 22. Vols lead 82-68 as Vandy fans head for the exit. http://tennessee.247sports.com/Board/114/Contents/Live-Updates-Tennessee-Vols-basketball-at-Vanderbilt-50549511?Page=5#M50556644 ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Adam Sparks ‏@AdamSparks 32m32 minutes ago

Attendance for Tennessee at Vanderbilt -- 12,235

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/820481101386907649

QuoteVols beat Vanderbilt at Memorial Gym in Nashville on Saturday night, 87-75, in a game sophomore Admiral Schofield said Friday could turn the season around.

Barnes told his players exactly what they'd need to do to pull the upset (as a 4.5-point underdog) on the Commodores (8-9, 2-3 SEC ), and Tennessee (9-8, 2-3) executed.

"I thought our poise was great, and that was the most poised we've been all year," Barnes said after the game. "In the first half we had an idea what we wanted to do against their zone."

Specifically, shoot the 3-pointer, as the Vols were 8-of-15 beyond the arc after a woeful 1-of-11 shooting performance in Wednesday night's home loss to South Carolina.

Freshman point guard Jordan Bone was the story of the night, scoring a career-high 23 points and dishing out five assists while accounting for just one turnover.