Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I have a question for some history buffs

Started by husker71, April 26, 2016, 09:00:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

I was watching "she wore a yellow ribbon" with John Wayne.  At the end he wants to make sure Victor McLaughlin who was retiring 2 weeks later got his full pension in the rank of top sergeant.  So here is my question    How was somebody with an Army pension paid in those days.  Was it mailed to them, did they go to a government office to get it every month??  Does anybody have any idea about this???  Thanks

kodiakisland

Don't know, but it was probably easier than for the revolutionary war pensioners.  My guess is you had to present an official document to a government office and would be paid there.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

pigture perfect

Your discharge papers properly stamped and dated would allow you access to any Army base for lodging and meals. When you reached a certain age you became eligible to live duty free n an old soldiers home, with a small stipend for personal needs and clothes.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"