Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Hogville-born, realistic College Football Playoff system that works

Started by Michael D Huff AIA, January 05, 2018, 12:31:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael D Huff AIA

I've been thinking about the playoff system this week in the days after two very different semi-final games.  OU v Georgia was amazing, and Alabama v Clemson wasn't so much of a great game as it was proof that the seedings of the four teams were wrong.  The 'worst' team handily beats the 'best' team?  Shouldn't work like that. 

What should work? 

Out of that question was born this somewhat simple system, but it leaves the decisions of who gets in or not to the higher (worst) seedings, similar to the way the NCAA tournament in basketball gets assembled.  It goes like this (showing participants if this system was in place this year):

1.  The Playoff Committee still exists.  They do their jobs like they have been doing.  This will be important later.

2.  Power 5 Conference champions get in automatically.
ACC:  Clemson
BIG12: Oklahoma
SEC: Georgia
BIG10: Ohio State
PAC12: USC

3.  (this is where it gets different)  The 'Group of 5' would all be required to have a championship game.  G5 Conference champions get in automatically.  If you're an Independent, it's time to join a conference if you want to be considered.  This means you, Notre Dame.
AAC:  UCF
CUSA: FAU
MAAC: Toledo
MOUNTAIN WEST: Boise St.
SUN BELT:  Doesn't have a championship game, took best record team: Troy

4.  This makes 10 automatic entries.  The remanding 6 seeds would be chosen from the Committee's rankings as the next highest 6 seeds available.  (Might require the committee to rank a lot of teams to get Troy or Toledo a ranking)  Removing the aforementioned conference champions, you would be left with:

4  Alabama Crimson Tide   
6  Wisconsin Badgers   
7  Auburn Tigers   
9  Penn State Nittany Lions   
10  Miami Hurricanes   
11  Washington Huskies   

5.  Using the Committee's rankings as seeding positions, you would get the following games. 

1 Clemson v 16 Toledo
8 USC v 9 Penn State
4 Alabama v Boise St.
5 Ohio St. v 12 UCF
2 Oklahoma v 15 Troy
7 Auburn v 10 Miami
3 Georgia v 14 FAU
6 Wisconsin v 11 Washington

Intended results:
1.  The P5 conference champions get in, like they should. 
2.  All conferences represented.  Should be no griping unless you're independent and want to stay that way.  Sorry.  Time to get with the program and compete on an even playing field.
3.  The G5 conference champions get in, but like in basketball the small conference teams that most likely end up as 14-16 seeds that get eaten in the first round.
4.  The remainder should be filled with P5 teams that got close or the smaller schools that are making noise, but have no choice due to their scheduling limitations.  It would give them a chance to put their money where their mouths are.
5.  The winner would ultimately be the consumer.  There are some good first round games on that list, and we get to have 15 games to decide the Champion, not 3.  Would the NCAA and TV Networks make some money from this system?  Absolutely. 
6.  The arguments would most likely be with the teams that create the 8-12 seeds, not the 4 seed as in the current system.  The top positions would be occupied by those that won their conferences, those from major conferences that almost won them and the UCF's of the world that have amazing seasons in G5 conferences.
7.  Yes, this system would leave out a lot of teams that might be considered more deserving of a shot than, say, Troy or Toledo.  However, it would give the 'little guy' a viable seat at the table.  In basketball half the field of 64 are automatic qualifiers from conferences like the Summit League, Patriot League, Horizon League and many other obscure conferences.

Let the discussion begin.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 05, 2018, 12:31:30 pm
I've been thinking about the playoff system this week in the days after two very different semi-final games.  OU v Georgia was amazing, and Alabama v Clemson wasn't so much of a great game as it was proof that the seedings of the four teams were wrong.  The 'worst' team handily beats the 'best' team?  Shouldn't work like that. 

What should work? 

Out of that question was born this somewhat simple system, but it leaves the decisions of who gets in or not to the higher (worst) seedings, similar to the way the NCAA tournament in basketball gets assembled.  It goes like this (showing participants if this system was in place this year):

1.  The Playoff Committee still exists.  They do their jobs like they have been doing.  This will be important later.

2.  Power 5 Conference champions get in automatically.
ACC:  Clemson
BIG12: Oklahoma
SEC: Georgia
BIG10: Ohio State
PAC12: USC

3.  (this is where it gets different)  The 'Group of 5' would all be required to have a championship game.  G5 Conference champions get in automatically.  If you're an Independent, it's time to join a conference if you want to be considered.  This means you, Notre Dame.
AAC:  UCF
CUSA: FAU
MAAC: Toledo
MOUNTAIN WEST: Boise St.
SUN BELT:  Doesn't have a championship game, took best record team: Troy

4.  This makes 10 automatic entries.  The remanding 6 seeds would be chosen from the Committee's rankings as the next highest 6 seeds available.  (Might require the committee to rank a lot of teams to get Troy or Toledo a ranking)  Removing the aforementioned conference champions, you would be left with:

4  Alabama Crimson Tide   
6  Wisconsin Badgers   
7  Auburn Tigers   
9  Penn State Nittany Lions   
10  Miami Hurricanes   
11  Washington Huskies   

5.  Using the Committee's rankings as seeding positions, you would get the following games. 

1 Clemson v 16 Toledo
8 USC v 9 Penn State
4 Alabama v Boise St.
5 Ohio St. v 12 UCF
2 Oklahoma v 15 Troy
7 Auburn v 10 Miami
3 Georgia v 14 FAU
6 Wisconsin v 11 Washington

Intended results:
1.  The P5 conference champions get in, like they should. 
2.  All conferences represented.
  Should be no griping unless you're independent and want to stay that way.  Sorry.  Time to get with the program and compete on an even playing field.
3.  The G5 conference champions get in, but like in basketball the small conference teams that most likely end up as 14-16 seeds that get eaten in the first round.
4.  The remainder should be filled with P5 teams that got close or the smaller schools that are making noise, but have no choice due to their scheduling limitations.  It would give them a chance to put their money where their mouths are.
5.  The winner would ultimately be the consumer.  There are some good first round games on that list, and we get to have 15 games to decide the Champion, not 3.  Would the NCAA and TV Networks make some money from this system?  Absolutely. 
6.  The arguments would most likely be with the teams that create the 8-12 seeds, not the 4 seed as in the current system.  The top positions would be occupied by those that won their conferences, those from major conferences that almost won them and the UCF's of the world that have amazing seasons in G5 conferences.
7.  Yes, this system would leave out a lot of teams that might be considered more deserving of a shot than, say, Troy or Toledo.  However, it would give the 'little guy' a viable seat at the table.  In basketball half the field of 64 are automatic qualifiers from conferences like the Summit League, Patriot League, Horizon League and many other obscure conferences.

Let the discussion begin.

Over kill. You only need 8. Five conference champs determined by each conference. Comittee picks remaing three which at least one has to be from group of six.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

thebignasty

Adds 4 games to the eventual champions schedule.  If they play a conference title game, and 12 game regular season schedule, thats 17 games.  For this to be plausible, the regular season would need to be seriously chopped back, and the revenue loss from the 110 some odd programs that would end up only playing 10 games a season as a result likely precludes this being considered, IMO
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Wildhog

I like it, for the most part.  An expanded playoff system works for every other sport, and it would work for CFB, too.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

thebignasty

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 05, 2018, 12:38:55 pm
Over kill. You only need 8. Five conference champs determined by each conference. Comittee picks remaing three which at least one has to be from group of six.

If the playoff expands, I think it makes the most sense to expand it to 6 and give the top 2 seeds a bye. 
But they win

RME

Quote from: thebignasty on January 05, 2018, 12:39:12 pm
Adds 4 games to the eventual champions schedule.  If they play a conference title game, and 12 game regular season schedule, thats 17 games.  For this to be plausible, the regular season would need to be seriously chopped back, and the revenue loss from the 110 some odd programs that would end up only playing 10 games a season as a result likely precludes this being considered, IMO

Beat me to it. That's a lottttta games for teams who make it far, and could screw over other programs by shortening the regular season.

8-team playoff works, in my opinion.

5 P5 champions
1 G5 champion (highest ranked)
2 at-large

Wildhog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2018, 12:41:38 pm
Beat me to it. That's a lottttta games for teams who make it far, and could screw over other teams by shortening the regular season.

8 works.

5 P5 champions
2 at-large

I like this too.

It just needs to be expanded.
1909/1964/1965/1977

thebignasty

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2018, 12:41:38 pm
Beat me to it. That's a lottttta games for teams who make it far, and could screw over other programs by shortening the regular season.

8-team playoff works, in my opinion.

5 P5 champions
2 at-large

I think 8 teams is an ideal number for the CFB playoff, I just don't think its coming any time soon.
But they win

HogFansReunited

This.... simple
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Disagree... It shuts up everyone.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 12:40:23 pm
I like it, for the most part.  An expanded playoff system works for every other sport, and it would work for CFB, too.
Quote from: thebignasty on January 05, 2018, 12:39:12 pm
so much for those record books.  I understand its already gone from 10 to 12 to now some teams play as many as 15 games.  its already getting ridiculous, 17 games is out of control though.

I think an 8 team play off at the very most.  this isn't basketball where they play 3 games a week or base ball where they play 4-5 games a week.

this is football.  ridiculously huge playoffs don't work
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 12:46:51 pm
so much for those record books.  I understand its already gone from 10 to 12 to now some teams play as many as 15 games.  its already getting ridiculous, 17 games is out of control though.

I think an 8 team play off at the very most.  this isn't basketball where they play 3 games a week or base ball where they play 4-5 games a week.

The more CFB, the better, IMO.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 05, 2018, 12:44:44 pm
Disagree... It shuts up everyone.
no, it ignores every other factor except the foolish love of playoffs.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 12:46:51 pm

What's considered "ridiculously huge?"

The NFL takes like 37.5% of its teams into the playoff. Right now, college football takes 3.1% of all teams.

By that contrast, the NFL playoffs are "ridiculously huge," but they work pretty well.

8 is perfect.

ShadowTheHedgehog

16 teams playoffs.

All SEC teams - and 2 at large spots for the highest ranked non SEC teams. Ask Herbie what he thinks.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 12:48:10 pm
no, it ignores every other factor except the foolish love of playoffs.

No.. It pisses on the foolish love of other factors. The only effective factor is with teams like Arkansas who are fighting an uphill battle to unseat the big dogs of their conference. Those conferences will lose their monopoly and talent will be spread around. If you like being able to brag on Bama or Florida year in and year out it might cause you some issues...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogsanity

Nice work, but why do we need 16 teams? Why does the "little guy" deserve a seat at the table? What becomes of the bowls? How do we play a playoff that takes 4 weeks in the time available. Do they start the week after the conf title games? That would mean the 2nd Sat in Dec would be the round of 16, 3rd week would be round of 8, most years Christmas weekend would be semi-finals, and NC at some point after that.

16 is too many, and still have the committee picking 6 teams. Find a way to make it so that everyone knows going in how to win your way in, then maybe, but I still think 16 is too many.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2018, 12:49:50 pm

The NFL takes like 37.5% of its teams into the playoff. Right now, college football takes 3.1% of all teams.

By that contrast, the NFL playoffs are "ridiculously huge," but they work pretty well.

8 is perfect.
8 is fine, but even that is stretching it.

16 us ridiculous. it makes conference championships worthless, every P5 conference could theoretically have 3 teams in the PO.  you could theoretically have a team win that wasn't even ranked in the top 15 after the regular season.  so now the regular season is worthless.

then as others pointed out, they would have to reduce the number of total games, so that means less regular season games and less revenue for schools.

College Football is not the NFL either.  they are two completely different systems.

8 would give the P5 champions an auto bid and 3 at large bids.  That is as far as it should reasonable stretch.  anything bigger is ignoring the negative factors.

PorkSoda

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 05, 2018, 12:52:36 pm
No.. It pisses on the foolish love of other factors. The only effective factor is with teams like Arkansas who are fighting an uphill battle to unseat the big dogs of their conference. Those conferences will lose their monopoly and talent will be spread around. If you like being able to brag on Bama or Florida year in and year out it might cause you some issues...
please, NYJMSU.

why not just have a 128 game play off and screw conferences and regular seasons?

idiotic

Wildhog

I don't really care what they change it to, but it needs to be more than four. 

And G5 teams need something to play for.  UCF deserved a shot this year, IMO.  And yes, I realize they played a relatively weak regular season schedule.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Smalltownhog95

8 is the perfect number 16 too much. You might as well deal away with bowl season at 16. 6 would work better than 16
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

IronHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2018, 12:49:50 pm

8 is perfect.

Well for starters D1 is too big.

The P5 need to cull the fat and get down to 4 super conferences

1st round : conference champs

2nd round 4

Championship
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

RME

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 12:59:52 pm

And G5 teams need something to play for.  UCF deserved a shot this year, IMO.  And yes, I realize they played a relatively weak regular season schedule.

Agreed...they solidified the argument for a strong G5 team to have the opportunity to make it in.

RME

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 01:01:47 pm

Well for starters D1 is too big.

The P5 need to cull the fat and get down to 4 super conferences

1st round : conference champs

2nd round 4

Championship

We can barely compete in the SEC.

A superconference would kill us.

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 12:59:52 pm

G5 needs to be its own division

IronHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2018, 01:02:20 pm

No more than Tennessee, Nebraska, or aTm

LZH

I guess I'm odd, because I don't really think it's that big of a deal. I liked the way it was 20 years ago. I liked the way it was 10 years ago. I liked the way it was 5 years ago. I like the way it is now.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2018, 01:02:20 pm

if we can't compete, then what the heck are we doing here?

grow a pair.

texhog

How about leaving it at 4 with 4 conference champs, but having just 4 football "super conferences" of 16 teams each.  That would give 64 teams the opportunity to be national champs.  This conference realignment would also likely result in some "never ever going to be a champ" schools like Vandy, Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, Boston College, Duke, KU, etc. to be dropped, at least for football.

Wildhog

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 01:02:29 pm

G5 needs to be its own division

I've thought that, too.  The current system pretty much bars them from playing for a title.
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: LZH on January 05, 2018, 01:03:59 pm
I guess I'm odd, because I don't really think it's that big of a deal. I liked the way it was 20 years ago. I liked the way it was 10 years ago. I liked the way it was 5 years ago. I like the way it is now.

It's fine

Gets old watching Bama get do overs though

Need Ga to win and finish that off

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:04:18 pm
if we can't compete, then what the heck are we doing here?

grow a pair.

Terrible counter.

Terrible and lazy counter.

If we were competing now, your argument would have substance. But we aren't. So it doesn't.

How would adding Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Clemson, Miami, and Florida State into our conference help Arkansas?

More money, right?

Wildhog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2018, 01:09:34 pm
Terrible counter.

How would adding Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Clemson, Miami, and Florida State into our conference help Arkansas?

More money, right?

I'm with you, man.  Adding TAMU was bad for us.  Imagine adding the rest of them.  Woof.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: texhog on January 05, 2018, 01:08:11 pm
How about leaving it at 4 with 4 conference champs, but having just 4 football "super conferences" of 16 teams each.  That would give 64 teams the opportunity to be national champs.  This conference realignment would also likely result in some "never ever going to be a champ" schools like Vandy, Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, Boston College, Duke, KU, etc. to be dropped, at least for football.
except conferences are managed independently. neither the NCAA nor Play Off Committee or anyone else can force it to happen. 

PorkSoda

Terrible counter.

If we were competing now, your argument would have substance. But we aren't. So it doesn't.

More money, right?

git gud

RME

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 01:10:14 pm

I'm with you, man.  Adding TAMU was bad for us.  Imagine adding the rest of them.  Woof.

BUT WE'D BE COMPETING AGAINST THE BEST OF THE BEST AND GETTING THAT SUPERCONFERENCE MONEY!

Both of which makes us better, apparently.

RME

IronHog

Terrible counter.

More money, right?

Not all the teams would join the SEC

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2018, 01:11:43 pm
How?
hiring Chad Morris was a start.  now if he can get a quality DC, some recruits to fit his system etc.

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 01:08:45 pm
I've thought that, too.  The current system pretty much bars them from playing for a title.

Several P5 teams need to move to G5.  Setup their own playoff

Could still play OOC with P5 teams

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:13:06 pm
hiring Chad Morris was a start.  now if he can get a quality DC, some recruits to fit his system etc.

Haha, firing Bielema was a start.  We HOPE Chad Morris gets us there.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2018, 01:13:06 pm

Lol.

You cried and wailed about the Morris hire for a week.

I know it's all part of your shtick, but damn.

IronHog

Wildhog

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 01:13:26 pm

Several P5 teams need to move to G5.  Setup their own playoff

Could still play OOC with P5 teams

I don't hate the idea.  Can we move down?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2018, 01:14:24 pm
I don't hate the idea.  Can we move down?

Could be the only team with top 15 resources in G5

Still wouldn't win though 😄

RME

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 01:14:12 pm

Being scared of Ok St shows how far Hogs have fallen

I don't have to be "scared" of someone to admit they're better than me at something.

For the past several years, Oklahoma State has had a better football program than we have.

Wildhog

Quote from: LZH on January 05, 2018, 01:15:17 pm
Like Missouri.....?

Bada-boom!

Like damn near anyone. 

*ULM/Toledo/Coastal Carolina flashbacks*
1909/1964/1965/1977