Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key mistakes made during crunch time.

Started by dsims2k3, January 25, 2016, 12:09:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dsims2k3

CMA make the plays himself during these close losses. DH made back to back errors during clutch time. He's made his share of mistakes but no one is complaining about that (As opposed to other players over the past few years).   ??? MA didn't travel after snagging the rebound. He didn't lose the ball out of bounds, nor did he step over the line while shooting free throws. I've seen JW, MQ, AH, AB (both), Madden, Young, and get roasted on here countless times during Anderson era.   
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Marshfieldhog

Only reason it  was even close was Dusty Hannah's. Kinda of hard to grill him if he was the reason we had a chance.

The_Iceman

It may be because he is averaging 16.6 ppg on 47% from three and 86% from the line.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 25, 2016, 12:09:21 pm
CMA make the plays himself during these close losses. DH made back to back errors during clutch time. He's made his share of mistakes but no one is complaining about that (As opposed to other players over the past few years).   ??? MA didn't travel after snagging the rebound. He didn't lose the ball out of bounds, nor did he step over the line while shooting free throws. I've seen JW, MQ, AH, AB (both), Madden, Young, and get roasted on here countless times during Anderson era.   

So, what then? Racism? Where's Swinesong to concur? This thread is dead in the water.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

WMHawgfan

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 25, 2016, 12:09:21 pm
What were Dusty's mistakes? Getting called for a walk that didn't happen? Getting called for a lane violation that didn't happen? Not catching two passes that got tipped right in front of him, changing the trajectory to tip off his hands?

hog golf

yeah, if we would have benched Dusty earlier in the game we wouldn't be complaining about losing this close game in OT!
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

BRHogfan

I think that we would roast Dusty Hannahs for those mistakes if he had a line like 2-14  0-6 from three, 1-5 on free throws, no steals, 2 rebounds and 5 turnovers.

Instead he had 24 points, 9-18, 4-7, 2-3 (this is part of why he was so frustrated at the end of the game, because he was getting hit physically with no calls) 6 rebounds, 1 assist, and 3 turnovers.

mhuff

January 26, 2016, 07:57:51 am #7 Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:47:19 pm by mhuff
 :'(Dusty did travel on the rebound IMHO . I would give him credit for working so hard to get the rebound. However, his defense and the team's defense lack a lot to be desired. I have been advocating a Thompson Kingsley lineup to take advantage of high-low opportunities. This has been working well, but Thompson is a liability on defense. He just can't move his feet.

The main problem is on the coaching. Surely we can afford to hire a junior high coach for consulting. One that can teach them how to press press correctly , block out , and inbound passes. You know set some screens for a wide open pass and to keep the ball out of the corners. We might have two more victories. I don't have anymore faith.

MountieDawg

January 26, 2016, 08:02:43 am #8 Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:25:55 pm by MountieDawg
Without Dusty UK wins by 30, Georgia wins b 15...  Even though, Dusty is the best 3 point shooter, he is also the only guy that can drive to the basket and get points.  If Dusty had not have been unhappy living at Texas Tech, imagine how bad this team would be...
SEC!

BRHogfan

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 26, 2016, 08:02:43 am
With Dusty UK wins by 30, Georgia wins b 15...  Even though, Dusty is the best 3 point shooter, he is also the only guy that can drive to the basket and get points.  If Dusty had not have been unhappy living at Texas Tech, imagine how bad this team would be...

Well, I think he always wanted to play for Arkansas.  Anderson wasn't very high on him initially, but later came around and offered him.

Champs04

Don't forget Dusty also screamed Gd and F after he new the camera was on him. That should never happen.

azhog10

Quote from: mhuff on January 26, 2016, 07:57:51 am
Dusty did travel on the rebound IMHO . I would give him credit for working so hard to get the rebound. However, his defense and the team's defense lacks a lot to be desired. I have been advocating a Thompson Kingsley lineup to take advantage of high-low opportunities. This has been working well, but Thompson is a liability on defense. He just can't move his feet.

The main problem is on the coaching. Surely we can afford to hire a junior high coach for consulting. One that can teach them how to press press correctly , block out , and inbound passes correctly. You know set some screens for a wide open pass and to keep the ball out of the corners. We might have two more victories. I don't have any more faith.
If you expect to spend time in practice to teach how to pass correctly then you are wasting your time. College players should already know how to do this (and they do, so to assume or state they don't is just mind blowing), and the issue is that they become mental midgets in crunch time situations. The inbounder held on to the ball too long, this is just a matter of not being focused and hesitating due to uncertainty in your own abilities. The travel sucks, but hard to fault DH bc it was an effort play and he lost his footing and fell. The free throw was close, but close enough to call it and again just an effort play. The kids played hard, but some of them still don't have that killer instinct yet. That split second hesitation will cost you and it got us against UGA. It's dumb to point fingers after that loss. As there were plenty to point after the UK game.

BRHogfan

Quote from: azhog10 on January 26, 2016, 08:14:48 am
If you expect to spend time in practice to teach how to pass correctly then you are wasting your time. College players should already know how to do this (and they do, so to assume or state they don't is just mind blowing), and the issue is that they become mental midgets in crunch time situations. The inbounder held on to the ball too long, this is just a matter of not being focused and hesitating due to uncertainty in your own abilities. The travel sucks, but hard to fault DH bc it was an effort play and he lost his footing and fell. The free throw was close, but close enough to call it and again just an effort play. The kids played hard, but some of them still don't have that killer instinct yet. That split second hesitation will cost you and it got us against UGA. It's dumb to point fingers after that loss. As there were plenty to point after the UK game.

That pass didn't pop out of Beard's hands at all.  Durham has passing skills, Beard has scoring skills.  Durham was asked to get the inbounds while Beard was asked to throw it in.

Some teams that have talented big men passers let them inbound the ball, but the play was obviously geared to go to one of them down low, so they were screening for each other and trying to keep the height of their men out of the play. 

Beard hasn't been asked to do anything in a pressure situation this year except for the missed three against LSU, and now he's got two chips on his shoulder he's going to have to work off.

ShadowHawg

CBB said it about the football program during his second season when he said,"They would start winning close games once they started earning it."

If this team ever learns how to close out games they could be salty down the stretch.

Kevin

don't call timeout to set up a last second play. just let them play
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bville_hog

He does need to learn how to go strong for the passes, instead of just waiting for them to come to him.  Other than that he is doing awesome.