Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Part II

Started by NorCalRazorback, January 24, 2016, 03:53:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCalRazorback

Okay - after several hours of statistical analysis regarding the players that MA recruits... Let's take a look at the top half of the SEC.  If you look at Texas A&M, Kentucky, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia and LSU (plus our beloved Hogs), here is what you will see:

Regarding Forwards:
We have 4 and average 6'5 3/4".  This is dead last among the listed teams. 
Kentucky has 6 and average 6'9 1/2" 
Florida has 7 and average just over 6'8"
Georgia has 8 and average just under 6'8"
South Carolina has 7 and average just under 6'8
Texas A&M has only 2 and average 6'7 1/2"

Regarding Centers
We have 1 and he's 6'10 (again dead last among the listed teams)
LSU has 2 - average just over 7'
Florida has 1 - he's 6'11"
A&M has 2 at 6'10"

*** I have the detailed analysis if anyone wants it I can send it out.

So is it surprising that when you check out the rebounding statistics, Florida, South Carolina, LSU, Kentucky and Texas A&M are the top rebounding teams in the SEC.  We are 10th.  We're getting out rebounded every game.  What about foul trouble.  If we're small, have fewer larger players, what happens when we're getting out rebounded, have players in foul trouble and are not hitting shots... guess:  LOSS

Here's the deal:  MA wont' consider a different style of game.  The 40 minutes of Hell that Nolan ran - was great and he could coach it.  MA doesn't seem to know how to coach it very well.  Nolan also was able to coach against the "slow down" game, the "pound the ball into the middle game", and also the "perimeter game".... but MA A) doesn't coach well (at all) and B) doesn't have the players to compete against the bigger, stronger rebounding teams. 

Also - saw some feedback on graduating... or well with what happened in the off season, he can't be blamed for that.  He recruited the guys!  Other schools are graduating players, are not getting arrested.  Our coach recruits the same geography every season... we have a GREAT SCHOOL, with great academics, great facilities, and (had) tradition... why not look outside of the same areas, why not go for some other style of players.  I'd rather have a coach bring a new style and open up the recruiting to attract athletes that can physically be competitive in our conference.

"Getting" to the NCAA's is not success, racking up wins against teams that don't make the tourney is not success, not graduating athletes is not success, and finally having players getting arrested is not success.

"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

Kevin

Another why: does cma take timeouts late in games when we have the ball. Just let them play
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

psooie

Time will tell. No matter what some say, i'm 100% confident Mike Anderson will be coach next year but will need to make the NCAA to get another season. There is a rational for a complete BS blackout of any negative talk right now, don't want to hurt the program further. It shouldn't really be that hard to have a good season next season either. Need to recruit better in the spring/fall

daprospecta

Quote from: NorCalRazorback on January 24, 2016, 03:53:51 pm
Okay - after several hours of statistical analysis regarding the players that MA recruits... Let's take a look at the top half of the SEC.  If you look at Texas A&M, Kentucky, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia and LSU (plus our beloved Hogs), here is what you will see:

Regarding Forwards:
We have 4 and average 6'5 3/4".  This is dead last among the listed teams. 
Kentucky has 6 and average 6'9 1/2" 
Florida has 7 and average just over 6'8"
Georgia has 8 and average just under 6'8"
South Carolina has 7 and average just under 6'8
Texas A&M has only 2 and average 6'7 1/2"

Regarding Centers
We have 1 and he's 6'10 (again dead last among the listed teams)
LSU has 2 - average just over 7'
Florida has 1 - he's 6'11"
A&M has 2 at 6'10"

*** I have the detailed analysis if anyone wants it I can send it out.

So is it surprising that when you check out the rebounding statistics, Florida, South Carolina, LSU, Kentucky and Texas A&M are the top rebounding teams in the SEC.  We are 10th.  We're getting out rebounded every game.  What about foul trouble.  If we're small, have fewer larger players, what happens when we're getting out rebounded, have players in foul trouble and are not hitting shots... guess:  LOSS

Here's the deal:  MA wont' consider a different style of game.  The 40 minutes of Hell that Nolan ran - was great and he could coach it.  MA doesn't seem to know how to coach it very well.  Nolan also was able to coach against the "slow down" game, the "pound the ball into the middle game", and also the "perimeter game".... but MA A) doesn't coach well (at all) and B) doesn't have the players to compete against the bigger, stronger rebounding teams. 

Also - saw some feedback on graduating... or well with what happened in the off season, he can't be blamed for that.  He recruited the guys!  Other schools are graduating players, are not getting arrested.  Our coach recruits the same geography every season... we have a GREAT SCHOOL, with great academics, great facilities, and (had) tradition... why not look outside of the same areas, why not go for some other style of players.  I'd rather have a coach bring a new style and open up the recruiting to attract athletes that can physically be competitive in our conference.

"Getting" to the NCAA's is not success, racking up wins against teams that don't make the tourney is not success, not graduating athletes is not success, and finally having players getting arrested is not success.

One thing people consistently leave out about the Nolan years is he had NBA talent.  We could play "slow-down" ball because of the talent we had.  Whether it was Todd Day, Oliver Miller, Corliss Williamson, Darnell Robinson and he even had fringe NBA players(Beck,Thurman).  We simply don't have the talent.  We can catch a team slipping who isn't expecting this type of play but we need more talent when we face teams that have experience with our style of play. Last year, we had NBA talent(Qualls,Portis) and what happens?  We win 27 games and go to the second round.  Don't overthink this.  We need more talent.  It does appear that it is on the way next year.

daprospecta

Quote from: tncbg on January 24, 2016, 04:36:43 pm
We had our chance to become a national powerhouse and Nolan blew it. He was so angry and bitter that he was his own worst enemy. He took the program to the top and burned it down.  He had a new arena and a lot of success from 90-95 that put the program on the launching pad. Despite all of that, his bitterness bubbled to the surface and the window of opportunity closed. If Mike doesn't turn things around it is doubtful that anyone else will. At this point, the program is still broken, but that can change with one good class.
So he was just bitter?  I'd imagine he touch a look around.  I'm sure he's friends with Coack K.  He probably looks at how Duke just lets him run the show and he had an administration that wouldn't get off his ass. I'd be bitter too.

hogman99

Quote from: daprospecta on January 24, 2016, 08:50:19 pm
One thing people consistently leave out about the Nolan years is he had NBA talent.  We could play "slow-down" ball because of the talent we had.  Whether it was Todd Day, Oliver Miller, Corliss Williamson, Darnell Robinson and he even had fringe NBA players(Beck,Thurman).  We simply don't have the talent.  We can catch a team slipping who isn't expecting this type of play but we need more talent when we face teams that have experience with our style of play. Last year, we had NBA talent(Qualls,Portis) and what happens?  We win 27 games and go to the second round.  Don't overthink this.  We need more talent.  It does appear that it is on the way next year.

I agree to most of the above except for one and added another.

1. Qualls will not play in the NBA
2. We need better coaching

MountieDawg

Quote from: daprospecta on January 24, 2016, 08:52:32 pm
So he was just bitter?  I'd imagine he touch a look around.  I'm sure he's friends with Coack K.  He probably looks at how Duke just lets him run the show and he had an administration that wouldn't get off his ass. I'd be bitter too.

Nolan was not told who to recruit, not told who his assistants should be and Nolan wasn't told what style of ball to play.  Nolan may have been upset because he thought and (maybe true) that Frank like Nutt more.  That is just jealousy but Frank was a football guy and related to football more.  I am sure Frank was more involved with what Nutt did and who he hired more than Nolan....  Gus, is probably living proof of that.  Nolan made it a race thing, which I don't think it was.  It was more of a football thing.

I am sure Nolan has gone through much racism with the time that he grew up and barriers broke, but he never got that chip off his shoulder.  Sometimes in life the things you do are not perfect and win someone points it out its just because they want better. Its not always a hidden agenda.
SEC!

rude1

Flawed analysis unless you took into account who is actually playing in the games. In other words a couple of 7' projects sitting on the bench who are having no impact on games can really screw your numbers you are attempting to crunch.

count of bacon

If we dont have the talent, its the recruiting persons fault.   Who's responsible for recruiting?

The head coach.   Also,
Wichita State has had more tournament wins than we have,  did they have the 'NBA' talent?

Its also about coaching.             

daprospecta

Quote from: count of bacon on January 24, 2016, 10:17:15 pm
If we dont have the talent, its the recruiting persons fault.   Who's responsible for recruiting?

The head coach.   Also,
Wichita State has had more tournament wins than we have,  did they have the 'NBA' talent?

Its also about coaching.             
They rode the talent of Cleanthony Early for years and now they are riding the coat tails of both Ron Baker(who is an NBA prospect) and Fred Van Vleet who is a marginal NBA prospect. Don't get it confused, they had/have talent.

count of bacon

Wichita State can pull the talent but not SEC Arkansas?  Come on.
Their team is much better coached.  You can tell watching their offense as a team and their defense as a team. You are stretching it about Early, and Baker is a tweener, probably heading to Europe.
This site makes excuses:  coach cant make the ball go in the hoop......True, but the coach can get the team into a better position to score.  Coach can sit someone down on the bench.

Wild Bill Hog

We lead the nation in excuses for sure.

daprospecta

Quote from: count of bacon on January 24, 2016, 11:39:43 pm
Wichita State can pull the talent but not SEC Arkansas?  Come on.
Their team is much better coached.  You can tell watching their offense as a team and their defense as a team. You are stretching it about Early, and Baker is a tweener, probably heading to Europe.
This site makes excuses:  coach cant make the ball go in the hoop......True, but the coach can get the team into a better position to score.  Coach can sit someone down on the bench.
How am I stretching it sir? Early is in the NBA and I'm pretty sure he stayed 3 what 4 years? Now they have Ron Baker who is a senior and is regarded as an NBA prospect.  You are contradicting yourself by the way.  On one hand, you say it's Mike's fault we don't have the players, this is true.  You point to Wichita State as not having the talent but winning because of the coach.  Wichita State has had talent during their success.  Another thing is they've had talent that actually stayed into either their junior or senior year.  This team would look different with Jacorey and Kapita on this team.  How can you plan for that? You can't.  Next year, assuming Moses comes back, we will be solid at every position and not having to depend on freshman. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 24, 2016, 09:26:03 pm
Nolan was not told who to recruit, not told who his assistants should be and Nolan wasn't told what style of ball to play.  Nolan may have been upset because he thought and (maybe true) that Frank like Nutt more.  That is just jealousy but Frank was a football guy and related to football more.  I am sure Frank was more involved with what Nutt did and who he hired more than Nolan....  Gus, is probably living proof of that.  Nolan made it a race thing, which I don't think it was.  It was more of a football thing.

I am sure Nolan has gone through much racism with the time that he grew up and barriers broke, but he never got that chip off his shoulder.  Sometimes in life the things you do are not perfect and win someone points it out its just because they want better. Its not always a hidden agenda.

A couple things:

Frank did leave Nolan alone (made him token Assistant Athletic Director to throw him a bone when he wanted nothing to do with his BB coach) and that was among the problems. Aside from the occasional comment, made in the press about who Nolan should consult during Nolan's early years before he got it going, the two men really got off on the wrong foot when Frank told Nolan, he should be here and not with his dying daughter, as often as he was, during his first year here.  Very insensitive way to treat a proud man during his early tenure, to say the least...

2nd Frank kept Nutt-case for 10 years because the incompetent CTWF would allow Frank to come in and put his shoes up on his desk to tell him what was up with football, back in the day... 

count of bacon

Dapro
           You need to do your homework.  Early was a 3 star (rivals), and 2.5 overall.  Baker was not even ranked.   What talent.  These two were "coached-up"
Those star rankings do not show talent.  In fact if the Hog roster was made-up of a bunch of 3 star and NR players this site would have a melt-down.
Bottom line............the problem with this team rests on the shoulders of Coach Anderson.      1) recruiting.....(consistently),  2) adjustments during the game,
3)etc...........

hogfan10

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 25, 2016, 12:40:49 pm
A couple things:

Frank did leave Nolan alone (made him token Assistant Athletic Director to throw him a bone when he wanted nothing to do with his BB coach) and that was among the problems. Aside from the occasional comment, made in the press about who Nolan should consult during Nolan's early years before he got it going, the two men really got off on the wrong foot when Frank told Nolan, he should be here and not with his dying daughter, as often as he was, during his first year here.  Very insensitive way to treat a proud man during his early tenure, to say the least...

2nd Frank kept Nutt-case for 10 years because the incompetent CTWF would allow Frank to come in and put his shoes up on his desk to tell him what was up with football, back in the day... 

Frank Broyles only made Nolan Richardson the first black head coach in the south, and one of the highest paid coaches in the country.
FB, didn't speak to NR in the later years because that's what NR wanted. In fact he requested that he only report to White, and FB was
taken out of the loop. FB did not hire Houston Nutt, and I doubt he had much to do with how long he stayed at Arkansas. That was another
White decision.

daprospecta

Quote from: count of bacon on January 25, 2016, 01:47:14 pm
Dapro
           You need to do your homework.  Early was a 3 star (rivals), and 2.5 overall.  Baker was not even ranked.   What talent.  These two were "coached-up"
Those star rankings do not show talent.  In fact if the Hog roster was made-up of a bunch of 3 star and NR players this site would have a melt-down.
Bottom line............the problem with this team rests on the shoulders of Coach Anderson.      1) recruiting.....(consistently),  2) adjustments during the game,
3)etc...........
Are you going off of ratings or how the players played? I'm pretty sure Felix was a 3 star but I knew from the first time I saw him during practice that he was special.  Recruiting rest on Mike's shoulders, I'm not defending that.  The point I'm making is a good coach needs good players.  Good coaches can do more with less but what do you think our record would be if Coach K was coaching our team instead of Anderson?

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 25, 2016, 02:30:22 pm
Frank Broyles only made Nolan Richardson the first black head coach in the south, and one of the highest paid coaches in the country.
FB, didn't speak to NR in the later years because that's what NR wanted. In fact he requested that he only report to White, and FB was
taken out of the loop. FB did not hire Houston Nutt, and I doubt he had much to do with how long he stayed at Arkansas. That was another
White decision.
/\That is the TRUTH.

coolhog

I look at what Lon Kruger has done in 5 years at oklahoma, and think what if !

count of bacon

At best 17-2.  At worst  14-5.

We for sure would be losing all these games by 2-3 points.  Hannahs and Bell would have been on the court together much earlier in the year.  There wouldnt be 8-12 minute stretches in a game where Moses doesn't touch the ball.

count of bacon

hogfan10

Quote from: Surfing8 on January 25, 2016, 02:59:52 pm
Bottom line is Nolan felt slighted by the administration, and he felt it to the extent that he blew up on national television.

There were AMPLE opportunities for the PTB to head that off well before then. 

The guy only ran one of the top B-ball programs in the country before he got pissed off.  Most places would try REALLY HARD to keep someone like that a little happier.

Who says they didn't try real hard to keep him happy. NR was here what 17/18 years.
In that time he was a top paid coach, had a brand new arena built for his program (b/4 he won a NC), and he was allowed to
run his program as he saw fit (he didn't report to Broyles).
I've learned that people who want to be slighted/disrespected can always find disrespect in how they are treated, regardless
of how you much you try to satisfy them.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 25, 2016, 03:29:28 pm
Who says they didn't try real hard to keep him happy. NR was here what 17/18 years.
In that time he was a top paid coach, had a brand new arena built for his program (b/4 he won a NC), and he was allowed to
run his program as he saw fit (he didn't report to Broyles).
I've learned that people who want to be slighted/disrespected can always find disrespect in how they are treated, regardless
of how you much you try to satisfy them.

I don't see why it should have taken an NC to upgrade from Barnhill, or more to the point why an upgrade from Barnhill was only "for Nolan," even if he did benefit from it.

hogfan10

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 25, 2016, 03:35:33 pm
I don't see why it should have taken an NC to upgrade from Barnhill, or more to the point why an upgrade from Barnhill was only "for Nolan," even if he did benefit from it.

Although it wasn't only for Nolan, I'm pretty sure it was built for/because of him, and his success.
Personally, I like Barnhill, and wish we still played there. I never saw the need for BWA. Barnhill was, and is still a larger
venue than most.

donbro

White decision.
Nolan made himself, by winning, one of the highest paid coaches. Does FB get credit for recruiting and developing those players? Please stop posting

hogfan10

Quote from: Surfing8 on January 25, 2016, 03:44:30 pm
I will agree on not seeing the need for BWA.  Barnhill could have been upgraded, or a similar-sized venue built in it's place.  It's been mentioned the sizing of BWA is such that it can house shareholder meetings for Wal-Mart... maybe that's true.

If you asked fans during that time whether BWA was built for Nolan or Robken... I think there would be some lively discussion. 

Robken could really get Barnhill into a frenzy. Was he still in Arkansas when BWA opened?

hogfan10

Quote from: donbro on January 25, 2016, 03:58:19 pm
Nolan made himself, by winning, one of the highest paid coaches. Does FB get credit for recruiting and developing those players? Please stop posting

Nobody said NR didn't deserve to be paid, but he can only get paid what the UofA (FB at the time) was willing to pay him.
No, FB doesn't get credit for recruiting and developing the players that NR was successful with, but FB also shouldn't be blamed
for NR's recruiting of and development of the players he had in the end.

I think I'll continue to post when I like, thank you.

Iamjacksleftnutt

I feel like Broyles told White to tell Nolan that street ball wasn't going to cut it at Arkansas. Just kidding. People who cares. The past is just that. Mike was trending upward until he was caught off guard with Portis and Quals leaving early. I'm disappointed that he didn't have a plan in place just in case but it is what it is.

As Tony Soprano would say, " What are you gonna do ?"

We just need to let it play out. The talent is going to get better.

LA Football fan

He was caught off guard because he somehow believed Kapita had a chance to qualify when everyone and their brother knew it was a longshot at best and not worth the risk to recruit him.  Most every major program had backed off and that was the major reason Mike was able to get him to sign.  Went after low hanging fruit because his recruiting ability is poor to average at BEST.

Now we are sitting here with a team full of role players and hoping our JUCO signees all make it here which, judging from past results, is not a given by any stretch of the imagination.   So what happens if we miss on 1 or more of the JUCO's due to grades?  What is the backup plan, if any?  We just got burnt hoping for a prayer in Kapita and here we are going into next year relying on a TRIO of JUCO's that are in JUCO for a reason, the majority of the time - grade issues and somehow our fans all think they are locks to make it here next year.  I hope they all make it, but I am not getting my hopes up after seeing how this staff vetted Kapita last year.

Mike is NOT a bad coach.  He has a system he lives and dies by and that is okay.  Every coach does the same thing.  He just isn't elite level, whether you are talking on court coaching or recruiting.  If all you want is a POSSIBLE run to the second round of the NCAA tourney once every 5 years, then Mike is your man.   His lack of focus on rebounding, trapping 60 feet from the basket and watching his press get beat time after time, and lack of any set structure on offense in crunch time is too much to overcome against the upper level teams he has to beat to win a championship or make a run in the tourney.  He is what he is. 

Frankly, I don't understand the mentality that he is the best we are going to get.   Heath and Pelphrey got us to the tourney as much or more than Mike has in the same time frame, yet somehow there aren't any other coaches out there as good or better than Mike?
A&M which doesn't have any better resume as a basketball school is sitting at #5 in the country, probably wins the SEC, has recruited better than Mike has during the same time frame, and yet there aren't any other coaches out there that can supposedly do as well as Mike.  Doesn't pass the smell test.  Mike has earned next year, but he had better hope EVERY recruit makes it and Kingsley doesn't leave, because if we miss out on post season play again next year I just don't see a valid reason for investing more time in a coach that would have had 6 years to establish his program with only 1 NCAA tourney to show for it.

Hoggish1

White decision.

You are completely wrong on all of that ^.  And, you completely disregarded everything I laid down for you...  Is it because you weren't around during that time frame or because you are JMSU the way you'd like history to read?

hogfan10

January 25, 2016, 09:46:43 pm #30 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:19:39 pm by hogfan10
Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 25, 2016, 09:03:11 pm
You are completely wrong on all of that ^.  And, you completely disregarded everything I laid down for you...  Is it because you weren't around during that time frame or because you are JMSU the way you'd like history to read?

What did I make up?

- NR first black head coach in a major southern athletic conference, who was the first?
- Was NR not one of the highest paid coaches in college basketball? I seem to remember him being in the top 5 at one time.
- NR didn't request that he report to JW instead of FB? Which effectively removed FB from any basketball related decisions. This
  little fact was disclosed during the bogus lawsuit.
- JW didn't form a committee to hire Houston Nutt?

I didn't disregard anything you "laid down" for me, I just gave you a little more insight.

Only NR would see being offered the title of assistant athletic as a personal slight. Whether the position was a "token" (your words) or not, most
people would have seen it as an honor/compliment. Hell, famous people are made "honorary graduates" of universities all over America. Wonder why
they haven't spit on their honorary degrees like NR would/would have.

Oh, I was around. I attended the UofA during much of NR's heyday (loved every minute of it). I was a season ticket holder at Barton for LR games, and a
season ticket holder in BWA the day it opened. I was a supporter of NR even though at times he made it hard to be one, but the day he decided that he would piss in all of our cheerios just so he could try to save face; that was the day I was no longer a supporter of his.