Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas high school basketball on ESPNU today.

Started by hogtilicus, January 22, 2016, 03:54:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogtilicus

Hope this hasn't already been posted. El Dorado and Bentonville play on ESPNU @ 4:30 PM. El Dorado's big man (6'10") has committed to Hogs and Bentonville has Monk who has committed to Kentucky.

trashcan maN

Monk has 6 through first half.

Gafford very raw. Runs floor well. Needs significant development based on this wildly limited sample size

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: trashcan maN on January 22, 2016, 05:07:46 pm
Gafford very raw. Runs floor well. Needs significant development based on this wildly limited sample size

Please tell me he's not another BGWG in the Jason Jennings/Shawn Baker mold.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hoglady

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 22, 2016, 05:20:22 pm
Please tell me he's not another BGWG in the Jason Jennings/Shawn Baker mold.

Not at all.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hoglady

http://247sports.com/Player/Daniel-Gafford-84259

Here you go.
The announcers just said he'd put on about 20 pds over the last year.
This pic looks to be taken before the weight gain - he's a lot bigger than that now (but not overweight).

HogsonHicks

After watching much of the game and seeing/hearing the Kentucky crap, I'm ready for the Malik/Marcus tandem to get out of Arkansas.

opineonswine

Watching Monk for the first time.  NOT impressed in the least.  Actually surprised at how mediocre he is...maybe a bad game?

opineonswine

Gafford, on the other hand, has been very impressive.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: opineonswine on January 22, 2016, 05:42:54 pm
Gafford, on the other hand, has been very impressive.

He's getting put backs against thin 6'0" white boys. He's 3-9 shooting I saw? Or was that FTs?

He's agile, and should play well in transition, but as they said "he doesn't look like he always knows what he's doing." He shouldn't be compared to Portis once he arrives, but I bet he will be.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

opineonswine

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 22, 2016, 05:49:52 pm
He's getting put backs against thin 6'0" white boys. He's 3-9 shooting I saw? Or was that FTs?

He's agile, and should play well in transition, but as they said "he doesn't look like he always knows what he's doing." He shouldn't be compared to Portis once he arrives, but I bet he will be.

Full disclosure, I've only seen the third quarter.  Monk has hit some impressive shots since I dissed him, but still don't like his game.

HawgAdvocate

Ok, 7-9 shooting and 3-11 from the stripe. Bentonville is playing a 2-3 zone, and Gafford is getting his off o-boards. And he's been limping since the end of the 3rd.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hoglady

Gafford sprung his ankle a few minutes before halftime.
Seems to be bothering him.

HawgAdvocate

Malik finished with 29 points (10-24 shooting) & 15 boards. Bentonville dominated.  It's 80-54 with 20 seconds to go.

Gafford had 17 boards & 17 points I think.

RaisinHog

He looks really really raw like kingsley raw ... I'm glad to have him though!! And no offense to whoever said he is a beast on the boards but we are talking a 6 10 guy in high school of course be is a beast on the boards lol the white kid sophomore from bentonville looked pretty good 6-6 and shot it well from deep

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 22, 2016, 06:02:33 pm
He looks really really raw like kingsley raw ... I'm glad to have him though!! And no offense to whoever said he is a beast on the boards but we are talking a 6 10 guy in high school of course be is a beast on the boards lol the white kid sophomore from bentonville looked pretty good 6-6 and shot it well from deep

That Bentonville shooter was Asa Hutchinson IV...I imagine he's the governor's grandson. He wasn't in the middle of Bentonville's zone from what I saw, oddly enough.

RaisinHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 22, 2016, 06:07:16 pm
That Bentonville shooter was Asa Hutchinson IV...I imagine he's the governor's grandson. He wasn't in the middle of Bentonville's zone from what I saw, oddly enough.
Yea heard the announcers say his name and figured he was kin to the Governor ! He may not end up being an " sec" level player but someone will be glad to have him in a few years perfect size and skill set to play the 3 if don't grow into a 4 or 5!

orgkeith

Bentonville had a 6-5 defensive tackle looking prospect with a 6-9 wingspan pushing on Gafford during the first half.  You have got to remember Gafford is just a junior.  Portis only started get much time his junior year in high school.  Gafford has athletic ability Portis only dreamed of.  But he is strictly an inside player and it will be interesting to see how he fills out these next two years before he hits the court at the UA. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: orgkeith on January 22, 2016, 06:19:32 pm
Bentonville had a 6-5 defensive tackle looking prospect with a 6-9 wingspan pushing on Gafford during the first half.  You have got to remember Gafford is just a junior.  Portis only started get much time his junior year in high school.  Gafford has athletic ability Portis only dreamed of.  But he is strictly an inside player and it will be interesting to see how he fills out these next two years before he hits the court at the UA.

The announcers were saying something about Gafford was a 6'6" tuba player in the band that the El Dorado basketball coaches had to talk into playing? Is that right?

orgkeith

May be true, but I do know he played last year as a soph.  Last year could have been his first year playing.  Think he averaged a double double as a soph.

clutch

Quote from: opineonswine on January 22, 2016, 05:42:19 pm
Watching Monk for the first time.  NOT impressed in the least.  Actually surprised at how mediocre he is...maybe a bad game?

Definitely an off game for him. His shot was off. Still managed to out up 29 though with like 15 rebounds. Must be nice to have off games like that.

NorthChuckHog

Gafford finished with 18 points and 18 rebs, he is very raw and not very aggressive. El do also didn't feed him enough when he got position down low. Monk is just a volume scorer

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 22, 2016, 06:26:21 pm
The announcers were saying something about Gafford was a 6'6" tuba player in the band that the El Dorado basketball coaches had to talk into playing? Is that right?
I didnt know much about Gafford so after going to the Google, apparently Kansas, Florida and Vandy were schools who offered him.  The KU offer is impressive as they can pick and choose their players almost as well as KY and Dook can.  So Gafford's decision to stay home resulted in a good get for Mike.  Hope he puts some weight on that frame and pans out for the Hogs.  We need him.

dhizzle

With five minutes left in the game Monk Inc. hits a three and announcers said he was heating up. Then it showed his stats 3-12 from the three after that shot. I would start heating up also when I shot 12 threes. Gafford will be a good one for us hes a long armed son of gun.

hdturner

Gafford will become beast with another summer of AAU ball and another year in high school

hoglady

At one point in the second half Monk scored 14 straight points. Don't think during the span that another Bentonville player took a shot.

DOGALUM

I got sick of seeing that POS Marcus in the corner mouthing and making hand gestures at his meal tick....errr....his brother.    Get a haircut you piece of darn. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

clutch

Quote from: DOGALUM on January 22, 2016, 11:27:12 pm
I got sick of seeing that POS Marcus in the corner mouthing and making hand gestures at his meal tick....errr....his brother.    Get a haircut you piece of darn. 

Marcus is one of the best people I've ever known. Far from a POS. I don't think he has an evil bone in his body. I hate that he allowed his brother to use him as an excuse to lighten the heat on himself. Because that's exactly what happened.

Marcus gave 4 years of service to the university as a football player as well as another year as a basketball player. His little brother shouldn't determine his status as a hog great.

hogfan10

I liked how the announcers made it out like he was loyal to his "hometown high school" by not going to another prep type school.
Said he wanted to help his "hometown school", and didn't need the extra attention of a prep school to get where he is going.
Ironic.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 23, 2016, 08:51:19 am
I liked how the announcers made it out like he was loyal to his "hometown high school" by not going to another prep type school.
Said he wanted to help his "hometown school", and didn't need the extra attention of a prep school to get where he is going.
Ironic.
Funny, I thought Bentonville was being used as the prep school. EPC would've enjoyed having his services the last 2 years.

hogwood

Gafford was recently down graded in the ESPN60 from being ranked in the 30's to being ranked #60. This is why I have posted that he will not have a BP like rookie campaign, and will definitely not be able to straight up replace a senior Kingsley. This is also why I say we need another big in the 2016 class that can team up with the rookie Gafford and Cook. Otherwise we just have Trey and I am not willing to rely on him. I think Gafford will have better first 2 seasons than Kingsley but I don't think he will be our go to guy, not until later in his career, and maybe not ever depending on if we sign some elite big man talent in 2018.

hoglady

Quote from: hogwood on January 23, 2016, 09:22:21 am
Gafford was recently down graded in the ESPN60 from being ranked in the 30's to being ranked #60. This is why I have posted that he will not have a BP like rookie campaign, and will definitely not be able to straight up replace a senior Kingsley. This is also why I say we need another big in the 2016 class that can team up with the rookie Gafford and Cook. Otherwise we just have Trey and I am not willing to rely on him. I think Gafford will have better first 2 seasons than Kingsley but I don't think he will be our go to guy, not until later in his career, and maybe not ever depending on if we sign some elite big man talent in 2018.

Remember Gafford is just a Junior with this being his 2nd season of basketball - I'd wait to judge what kind of impact he may or may not make based on what he looks like during his Senior season of high school ball. Could see massive improvement between Junior and Senior year since he's so raw.

LA Football fan

Gafford is definitely more raw than what I expected for the national ranking he has.  You can tell he is still learning how the game is played.  He still reaches way too much and could have been called for several fouls that were let go, needs to work on positioning, and especially needs work on getting a good handle on the ball before trying to shoot inside.  Rushed way too many shots that had no prayer of going in, especially with his size advantage.   Don't know if AAU will help him or not since most of that is just running up and down the court and not so much coaching going on.  He needs to work this summer with an experienced college or pro center (Portis would be an excellent resource if available).  Footwork needs improvement, shot needs improvement, and his overall knowledge of the game needs improvement. 

The great news is, that he does have a ton of ability and talent that just needs to be channeled correctly.  There is a lot of room for improvement, but if he works hard at it over the summer he has a chance to be unstoppable at the high school level next year.  I am elated that we have him committed and I do believe he could develop into a very good player.   He gets up and down the court really well for a big man.   

donk

Quote from: clutch on January 23, 2016, 12:02:38 am
Marcus is one of the best people I've ever known. Far from a POS. I don't think he has an evil bone in his body. I hate that he allowed his brother to use him as an excuse to lighten the heat on himself. Because that's exactly what happened.

Marcus gave 4 years of service to the university as a football player as well as another year as a basketball player. His little brother shouldn't determine his status as a hog great.

Any goodwill Marcus playing here is gone with me.  Go to Kentucky and don't return. He was in the middle of his brothers decision and THEY choose UK. Probably cost Mike Anderson his job in the long run.

JBurgess

Quote from: donk on January 23, 2016, 07:49:20 pm
Any goodwill Marcus playing here is gone with me.  Go to Kentucky and don't return. He was in the middle of his brothers decision and THEY choose UK. Probably cost Mike Anderson his job in the long run.

HAHA. Classic.

hogwood

Quote from: hoglady on January 23, 2016, 09:26:38 am
Remember Gafford is just a Junior with this being his 2nd season of basketball - I'd wait to judge what kind of impact he may or may not make based on what he looks like during his Senior season of high school ball. Could see massive improvement between Junior and Senior year since he's so raw.

You're absolutely right. But people are making him out to be the next BP from day 1. Right now that is a foolish assumption. It's more reasonable to estimate that he will have a lesser impact than BP at this time.

PORKULATOR

In two years, Malik Monk will be playing ball in Europe after being cut from an NBA roster. He means nothing to me. His brother, however, is a traitor and should be booed by every Arkansas fan from now til his death.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hogwood

Quote from: PORKULATOR on January 24, 2016, 09:37:38 am
In two years, Malik Monk will be playing ball in Europe after being cut from an NBA roster. He means nothing to me. His brother, however, is a traitor and should be booed by every Arkansas fan from now til his death.

Haha. I hope this happens too. The next Harrison twin. Don't even know what happened to them.

acey33

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 22, 2016, 05:49:52 pm

It would have made a difference if they were 6' black boys? just asking

MountieDawg

Quote from: PORKULATOR on January 24, 2016, 09:37:38 am

I would be happy to make a wager with you on that one...  Its ok to be upset with the kid, but I think you assumption is wrong on this one.  Archie Goodwin scored 29 the other night and hit the game winning 3 for the Suns.  I think Malik has more talent.
SEC!