Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME

Started by lynbug, January 22, 2016, 02:52:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lynbug

First of all, I am a long time reader, first time poster.  AND, I am just your average female obsessed with all things Arkansas Razorbacks.  So, if I ask a totally uniformed question or make a student statement smite away--I can take it.  I just would like to be better informed on a few things that I think you guys know much more about.

1.  I was absolutely obsessed with getting Mike here five years ago and was super inspired by his big "we'll get em when they get off the bus" speech.  However, every since he has been here he seems to lack fire, just glad to "be home" surrrounded by his friends and family (on the bench).

2.  Am I missing something or does there seem to be a deficit in strategy, running set plays, etc.  Or do many coaches adopt the strategy of "just go out there and have fun"?  I have seen too many games in which we take a lead into halftime.  Then, at the beginning of the second half the opposing team comes out with adjustments and rolls off 8-10 unanswered points.  Obviously their coach made adjustments at halftime.  But,  Mike doesn't seem to ever make the needed readjustments in his strategy (or lack thereof).

3.  Also, I sometimes wonder what certain players roles are when they're on the floor.  For instance, Keeton Miles.  Is he just a big body who racks up no stats but inflicts a little pain in the paint?

4. Finally, is the reason Mike has not experienced as much success here in five years as he did at UAB and Mizzou change in conference?

Like I said before, please enlighten me.

MikePiazza

Quote from: lynbug on January 22, 2016, 02:52:30 pm
First of all, I am a long time reader, first time poster.  AND, I am just your average female obsessed with all things Arkansas Razorbacks.  So, if I ask a totally uniformed question or make a student statement smite away--I can take it.  I just would like to be better informed on a few things that I think you guys know much more about.

1.  I was absolutely obsessed with getting Mike here five years ago and was super inspired by his big "we'll get em when they get off the bus" speech.  However, every since he has been here he seems to lack fire, just glad to "be home" surrrounded by his friends and family (on the bench).

2.  Am I missing something or does there seem to be a deficit in strategy, running set plays, etc.  Or do many coaches adopt the strategy of "just go out there and have fun"?  I have seen too many games in which we take a lead into halftime.  Then, at the beginning of the second half the opposing team comes out with adjustments and rolls off 8-10 unanswered points.  Obviously their coach made adjustments at halftime.  But,  Mike doesn't seem to ever make the needed readjustments in his strategy (or lack thereof).

3.  Also, I sometimes wonder what certain players roles are when they're on the floor.  For instance, Keeton Miles.  Is he just a big body who racks up no stats but inflicts a little pain in the paint?

4. Finally, is the reason Mike has not experienced as much success here in five years as he did at UAB and Mizzou change in conference?

Like I said before, please enlighten me.

1. That was a phrase used to inspire buzz upon being hired. Most coaches use something to that degree at the intro presser. It was also a reference to how they played back when Nolan was the coach and Mike was an assistant.

2. Certainly Mike's style of coaching is radically different than most other coaches. He coaches his players to react and score in transition, rather than by running set plays or a strict offense. He is also married to pressing and speeding teams up.

3. Keaton Miles is having to start and play significant minutes at the 4 this year because Jacorey Williams screwed up and got his butt kicked off the team, and because Ted Kapita didn't make it to campus.

4. The Big 12 is tougher than the SEC perennially (at least over the last decade), so no, it should've been easier to be successful here. He's had success, but not as much as fans would like.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Jackrabbit Hog

I think you're pretty much spot on with your questions, and I think if any of us had the answers we'd put in a resume to coach the Hogs. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

lynbug

wheelspigharvey

I wouldn't characterize his offense as "go have fun," but it is a motion offense without set plays.  There are principles involved and roles played, so just because the plays are not run like football or something doesn't mean he gives them no guidlines.

Mr. Porkleone

No.... Mikes a mid level coach. We will continue to be sub par under him. Cal whipped him last night

Breems

Something feels off here.

No longtime reader would post those questions as they've been discussed here ad nauseam.

Who's trolling?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

opineonswine

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 22, 2016, 04:57:31 pm
No.... Mikes a mid level coach. We will continue to be sub par under him. Cal whipped him last night

Cal has a team full of 5 star/McDonald All Stars.  Mike doesn't.  If you ain't got no animals, you ain't hardly got no circus...Yogi Berra.  It wasn't a fair fight.  And no one would be doing better than Mike with this team.  Yes, he needs to recruit better.   But saying Cal whipped him is such an exaggeration.

lynbug

Breem, I'm not a troll--just a 50-year hog fan.  Forgive me for taking up valuable space on this board asking questions that have already been addressed.  I realize that this probably has not happened before.  Just wanting to network with fellow passionate hog fans.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: lynbug on January 22, 2016, 06:16:38 pm
Breem, I'm not a troll--just a 50-year hog fan.  Forgive me for taking up valuable space on this board asking questions that have already been addressed.  I realize that this probably has not happened before.  Just wanting to network with fellow passionate hog fans.

Hey Breems, the jerk store called... :)
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

howie76

I like coach Anderson myself. And I love a motion offense

BadHog

Quote from: Breems on January 22, 2016, 05:45:52 pm

No longtime reader would post those questions as they've been discussed here ad nauseam.

Who's trolling?

I totally agree. And I'd bet $$$ that's not a chick. Sketchy...or passive/aggressive trolling.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Sharky

Quote from: BadHog on January 22, 2016, 07:07:22 pm
I totally agree. And I'd bet $$$ that's not a chick. Sketchy...or passive/aggressive trolling.

Trolling by being honest about the team? JFC, some of you guys refuse to pull your head out of the sand. Forgive the rest of us for not thinking 1 decent season in 5 isn't outstanding coaching for the 20th highest paid coach in the nation. Forgive some of us for questioning what are rather obvious faults in the CMA strategy. So effing frustrating to hear some of you drone on and on about how good we are at 9-9 as we just hit the tough part of the schedule.

WorfHog

Quote from: Sharky on January 23, 2016, 03:23:57 pm
Trolling by being honest about the team? JFC, some of you guys refuse to pull your head out of the sand. Forgive the rest of us for not thinking 1 decent season in 5 isn't outstanding coaching for the 20th highest paid coach in the nation. Forgive some of us for questioning what are rather obvious faults in the CMA strategy. So effing frustrating to hear some of you drone on and on about how good we are at 9-9 as we just hit the tough part of the schedule.

We're good just unlucky...according to kenpom...

Breems

Quote from: Sharky on January 23, 2016, 03:23:57 pm

You went off on a really stupid tangent because you are stupidly touchy.

I have no problem with the points posted. We have discussed them ad nauseam, and a new poster decided to post them again, thus the suspicion.

JRHoward

So why read and comment on the post if you have seen it discussed before and are tired of it?  Mikes style is Mikes style... Last I looked...these are his players as well.  Long time Hog fan here, was thrilled when Mike was hired.... Frankly tired of the lack of progress.  I think he has to plan on "great " players leaving early...RECRUIT .  Feel free to smite away, it won't hurt any more than watching the game.
Woooo Pig!

BadHog

The Nolan/Anderson/Officiating vitriol that is spewed on this board as ad nauseam is nauseating.

I know we are not a great team. We need talent. We need some great recruiting. But it is not the coaching.

Same threads all the time. And the walk on op started this thread and then disappeared.

devildoghawg

Quote from: BadHog on January 23, 2016, 07:27:39 pm
The Nolan/Anderson/Officiating vitriol that is spewed on this board as ad nauseam is nauseating.

I know we are not a great team. We need talent. We need some great recruiting. But it is not the coaching.

Same threads all the time.

So enlighten me on this, after 6 seasons, and our players still making rookie mistakes, and losing EASILY winnable games, when does it become the coaches fault.  If you had one good year at your job out of 6, you are telling me that your employer wouldn't make a change?
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

BadHog

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 23, 2016, 07:30:59 pm
So enlighten me on this, after 6 seasons, and our players still making rookie mistakes, and losing EASILY winnable games, when does it become the coaches fault.  If you had one good year at your job out of 6, you are telling me that your employer wouldn't make a change?

It's about the talent on the floor. We need a recruiter. Mike can coach but maybe not the best recruiter. I don't know! I don't pretend to know! But to what extent is discussing the same ole bs over and over and over and over going to change anything.

Cinco de Hogo

hobhog

He'd be fired at any other basketball school after a sub .500 season n year 5. Not here.

devildoghawg

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

lynbug

It was not my intent to bore anyone with stupid comments.  This passive-aggressive troll really was just wanting to connect with other fans who eat, sleep, live and breath (a little bit of an overstatement) all things Razorbacks.  Especially right now after Thursday night and todays games I just need to vent, even if I end up getting insulted.  But I hope I can get better control of my emotions that flare up after Hog losses.  If I do you might not ever hear from me again.  But, as long as I need an outlet..............who knows.  I almost forgot.  Thank yBou Mike Piazza, for being a classy guy and addressing my questions, even if they might sound simplistic and/or boring to you.  AND.......Badhog, I got the distinct impression that you wanted me to disappear.  But, like I said earlier....just venting.

majp51

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 22, 2016, 04:57:31 pm

Lok I'm not a CMA apologist by any means, but sub par is very harsh, and not fair at all. I would say that He is an average to good coach, who if the chips fall right can be exceptionally good.

BadHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 23, 2016, 07:34:35 pm
A

plus B

plus C

equals D

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 23, 2016, 07:34:35 pm
A

plus B

plus C

equals D

Quote from: lynbug on January 23, 2016, 07:58:39 pm
It was not my intent to bore anyone with stupid comments.  This passive-aggressive troll really was just wanting to connect with other fans who eat, sleep, live and breath (a little bit of an overstatement) all things Razorbacks.  Especially right now after Thursday night and todays games I just need to vent, even if I end up getting insulted.  But I hope I can get better control of my emotions that flare up after Hog losses.  If I do you might not ever hear from me again.  But, as long as I need an outlet..............who knows.  I almost forgot.  Thank yBou Mike Piazza, for being a classy guy and addressing my questions, even if they might sound simplistic and/or boring to you.  AND.......Badhog, I got the distinct impression that you wanted me to disappear.  But, like I said earlier....just venting.

Then post in vents and rumors forum.

PonderinHog

Quote from: lynbug on January 23, 2016, 07:58:39 pm
Well, you didn't answer my counter question, so I'll nothing more to do with you.   >:(

radioheadhog

Wow. Breems and Badhog, you guys are jerks. Sheesh. It's just a message board. I'd say pompous and too big for your britches both fit pretty nicely.
"Dude half assed a fair catch call and got smoked.  That should be the headline."

code red

Here's the enlightenment.  2.2 million.  7 years.  So.......wait it out.  Razorback basketball should be back in about 20 years.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Same threads all the time. And the walk on op started this thread and then disappeared.
It is coaching we saw it tonite.  Take a TO with 17 seconds left....really?  Should have run it down to 10 at least.  What happens?  We turn it over give them a chance to win in regulation.  Mike doesn't understand his team.....year 5.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

wheelspigharvey

People say Mike ought to be like more like Nolan, but they don't acknowledge the world and climate he coached in.  The persona and the things he spoke out about regarding race are inextricably linked.  It is as if though people assume Mike and Nolan should share the same outlook on life, because why?

lynbug

I think most people who continue to make references to the Nolan-Mike connection are just hoping for similar results as they had back in Nolan's heyday and, like many of you have pointed out........many things have changed since those days.  A former coworker of mine who was affiliated with the  championship team warned me to not make too much of that connection because they have very different personalities which probably creates a totally different dynamic between the coach and the team.  Maybe we don't necessarily need to lower our expectations--just modify them.

Breems

Ya know what's ironic? Probably 1% of current Mike supporters actually factor Nolan into their decision to support Mike.

The only people consistently bringing up Nolan are the unhappy folk trying to make up reasons some fans support him.

Those that blame others for "living in the past" can't leave it themselves. Take it from someone who has no emotional attachment to that era.

BadHog

Quote from: Breems on January 23, 2016, 10:50:04 pm
Ya know what's ironic? Probably 1% of current Mike supporters actually factor Nolan into their decision to support Mike.

The only people consistently bringing up Nolan are the unhappy folk trying to make up reasons some fans support him.

Those that blame others for "living in the past" can't leave it themselves. Take it from someone who has no emotional attachment to that era.

Just thought that needed reiterating and I lived through the Nolan era. But that's in the past and has not one thing to do with the present.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Breems on January 22, 2016, 05:45:52 pm

Who's trolling?

Even though her questions are valid, her account was registered on Jan 21, 2016....  Breems is correct about the trolling and yes all of her questions have been answered.
SEC!

MountieDawg

MA wants to run a Nolan style game, but MA does not put fear into the refs and other coaches like Nolan did...  When Nolan was hear ripping players heads off for not performing, MA was the one that would go back to the player and say he just wants you to get better, its alright.  The good cop struggles to be the bad cop...
SEC!

rude1

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 24, 2016, 01:28:02 pm
What benefit did Nolan (and by extension, the team) ever get from that? 
Are you serious? Even other coaches were complaining that the officials were being intimidated by Nolan and allowing his teams to play too physical. Do we have to be reminded of the level of intensity those guys use to play with Nolan on the sideline standing barking out orders or undressing a guy he felt was playing for himself instead of the team?

lynbug

Obviously, I was badly mistaken.  This must be a very closed circle.  I was just wanting to vent to fellow diehard fans.  Forgive me!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: lynbug on January 24, 2016, 04:33:50 pm
Obviously, I was badly mistaken.  This must be a very closed circle.  I was just wanting to vent to fellow diehard fans.  Forgive me!

LOL!  ALL message boards are closed circles.  I've been on several MB's over the years and it's alway that way.  As one who is always outside that circle you like it or lump it.  They don't care.  However if you need a frequent fix and you like information it's worth being an outsider, getting abused and disrespected.  They do actually like you in spite of the way you are treated because without you they couldn't be them.  You said you read a lot before making you first post, if you can't take it maybe you should go back to that.

PonderinHog

Hey, this a pretty exclusive club!   >:(

GuvHog

Quote from: opineonswine on January 22, 2016, 05:52:24 pm
Cal has a team full of 5 star/McDonald All Stars.  Mike doesn't.  If you ain't got no animals, you ain't hardly got no circus...Yogi Berra.  It wasn't a fair fight.  And no one would be doing better than Mike with this team.  Yes, he needs to recruit better.   But saying Cal whipped him is such an exaggeration.

It's Mike's Job to get some 5 star/McDonald all stars and he's missed on 2 right here in our home state. That ain't good.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Breems on January 23, 2016, 10:50:04 pm

That wasn't the case when Mike was first hired though. This board alone was full of people saying "He's Nolan all over again!" or "Hawgball Nolan style is coming back!". Now days many of those people have disappeared or are backing away from that in a hurry.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 24, 2016, 05:43:46 pm
No, we don't.

I didn't mean that the way you think I did.  😊

razoredge178

Quote from: lynbug on January 23, 2016, 10:08:15 pm
I think most people who continue to make references to the Nolan-Mike connection are just hoping for similar results as they had back in Nolan's heyday and, like many of you have pointed out........many things have changed since those days.  A former coworker of mine who was affiliated with the  championship team warned me to not make too much of that connection because they have very different personalities which probably creates a totally different dynamic between the coach and the team.  Maybe we don't necessarily need to lower our expectations--just modify them.

I'd love similar results, but they'll come via a different approach than what Nolan was successful with. The game has changed tremendously in 20 years, most notably a much bigger, stronger, and durable athlete on the floor. It wasn't that way in the 90's. If you could sprint the court for 40 minutes, you could beat 3 out of 4 teams if for no other reason than shear stamina. The idea that you can run an opponent out of steam is no longer a viable approach.

I for one would LOVE for our program to drop the "fastest 40..." tag line and get to basics, and get to business. The patterns in our losses are striking, especially getting killed on boards and killed at the free throw line. We've got 5 more wins if we could improve both by 20%.

snookybobhog

Lynbug, first, I believe you are real and like all BB Hog fans, are frustrated with the product we are seeing on the floor. I'm like you, I read hogville, don't do much posting. I don't see the point. The little sharks are always circling and they love to attack. You bring up some great points and ask great questions.! All of them question MA's coaching decisions or lack there of! To be honest, I'm one of those guys who thought MA was the answer to our Hog prayers and now I'm starting to wonder. I've been watching Hog BB since the Lanny VanEman days. In my humble opinion, these are part of our problems.
#1- talent- we just don't have the talent we need to win much less dominate in the SEC.
#2- fundementals - I see too many breakdowns on both ends of the court, rebounding, bad angles on defense, bad fouls, poor shot selection, bad passes, bad clock management, not guarding the 3 pt line.....just to name a few!
#3- this is the main one...DEFENSE! Eddie Sutton and Nolan's great teams played hard nose in your face defense! I haven't seen Mike's teams show this kind of intensity yet. I keep thinking I'm going to and hope I do! Just haven't yet.

Ok, I'm done. Lynbug, keep posting, I will read your stuff! Woo Pig!