Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gottlieb tweet

Started by MikePiazza, January 22, 2016, 01:40:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 22, 2016, 06:19:34 pm
Sounds right, thanks.

Also, if I'm not mistaken Igoudala had a family connection to Nolan, as did Sullinger.
And, wasn't Conley connected with Satch Sullivan (who was a friend of Nolan's); so once Nolan was out, Sullinger left and went to OSU. Which is where Conley, Oden & the younger Sullinger all went.

It would have been a great recruiting haul, but unless Nolan had some more long-time friends with stud sons/grandsons/nephews it was soon to dry up. It would have been fun for a few years though.

I don't know if Conley was connected to Satch, and that's how he & Oden ended up at OSU. But everything else you posted looks right to me.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogfan10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 22, 2016, 06:22:56 pm
I don't know if Conley was connected to Satch, and that's how he & Oden ended up at OSU. But everything else you posted looks right to me.

Maybe not, but I was thinking they were all apart of the same AAU program. Maybe not, my memory is starting to fade.

hamARchy in the USA

My memory isn't as good as HawgAdvocate's but it seems like Iguodala's first choice was always Arizona.  It was his mother that preferred Arkansas until Nolan got the boot.   If I remember correctly, Nolan claimed that he told Iguodala's mother that if she sent him her son he'd send her back a man or some nonsensical bluster like that.

hogfan10

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 22, 2016, 06:27:29 pm
My memory isn't as good as HawgAdvocate's but it seems like Iguodala's first choice was always Arizona.  It was his mother that preferred Arkansas until Nolan got the boot.   If I remember correctly, Nolan claimed that he told Iguodala's mother that if she sent him her son he'd send her back a man or some nonsensical bluster like that.

Maybe so, but I still think we got in the door do to some sort of family connection.

rude1

Quote from: MB Hog on January 22, 2016, 04:38:40 pm
Impressive memory!  I remember all of that now that you re-capped it, but had forgotten quite a bit.  I also remember Wally Hall couldn't stop signing praises of the Ole Miss program because of the Arkansas players they signed and had success with.  Everyone wanted us to find the next Carter in the home state.
The thing was everyone was clamoring about the missing on the Ar. players who were at Ole Miss, when in fact it had more to do with our decline than how great those guys were. That group while a thorn in Nolan's side never won a single NCAA tourney game for Ole Miss.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 22, 2016, 06:27:29 pm

There's this ancient article where Iggy says AZ was always in his top 3, and that his friendship with Hassan Adams over the previous summer at the Nike AA camp helped seal the deal once we fired Nolan.

http://www.highschoolelite.com/news/5+25.html
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 22, 2016, 06:07:35 pm
Thanks, kinda what I was thinking. Tobias couldn't get in academically, right?

Looks like you were right. Even when he got his release, Tobias was still not academically qualified. He even says he wasn't sure if he was even wanted at Arkansas, as Nolan never contacted him or his coach after being fired, and he barely heard from Heath.

Funny line from Tobias on Mukubu. He tried to let Sullivan and Mukubu know he was getting out of his LOI, but he couldn't reach Mukubu: "You can only speak to him if he wants you to."

http://thecabin.net/stories/050502/spo_050502113.shtml#.VqLOi_krKM8

hogfan10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 22, 2016, 06:53:07 pm
Looks like you were right. Even when he got his release, Tobias was still not academically qualified. He even says he wasn't sure if he was even wanted at Arkansas, as Nolan never contacted him or his coach after being fired, and he barely heard from Heath.

Funny line from Tobias on Mukubu. He tried to let Sullivan and Mukubu know he was getting out of his LOI, but he couldn't reach Mukubu: "You can only speak to him if he wants you to."

http://thecabin.net/stories/050502/spo_050502113.shtml#.VqLOi_krKM8

Lucky guess on my part.
Seems like 1 of the 3 (Eddins I think), and maybe another ended up being pretty good at UAB.

Breems

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 22, 2016, 06:40:55 pm
There's this ancient article where Iggy says AZ was always in his top 3, and that his friendship with Hassan Adams over the previous summer at the Nike AA camp helped seal the deal once we fired Nolan.

http://www.highschoolelite.com/news/5+25.html

The font used in the image on that article is epic.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

phadedhawg

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 22, 2016, 03:57:42 pm
There is overlap.  It began with the intervention of White.  Nutt is on White and his committee.  Broyles didn't publicly criticize.  Anyone.  Not even Nolan to this day I don't think.  In hindsight, if Broyles had been concerned about his legacy it would have been best to retire years earlier so as not to suffer from the tarnish of White's blundering.  Still, it wasn't until Long that an effort was made to hire mediocrity

You guys have a better memory than me. I forgot a lot of the names mentioned above. I think it's my mind trying to block out painful memories.

But who was that big name coach that was begging to come to Arkansas when Jeff Long said he'd rather have Mike Anderson?

I keep forgetting his name but I remember it was a huge story at the time when Long announced he would only consider mediocre coaches for the Razorbacks going forward.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hawg414 on January 22, 2016, 03:19:21 pm
he did.  but only bc nolan was fired.  iguodala was already committed and coming to AR.  to join sullinger, who had already played a year.  after nolans firing, iguodala switched to arizona.  and sullinger transferred to ohio st.  obviously nothing is known for certain after the fact, but due to sullingers relationship with greg oden and mike conley jr (and remember, mike conley sr was an AR track all american), it is more than just possible that nolans team, in 2 years, would have been sullinger, iguodala, oden and conley.  and presumably sullingers younger brother who followed him to ohio st a few years later.  remember the run of success ohio st had during those years?  yeah, that may very well have been nolans next hurrah.

all speculation.  and water under the bridge now.
Great thoughts. I forgot about Sullingers brother at Ohio State....he was a badass.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Farmer Hogget

Nolan's lawsuit against the University is what killed Arkansas basketball.  The Razorbacks could have hired Bill Self but, in order to prove the University was not racist, they hired Stan Heath.  THAT is what happened. . .end of story. . .bye, bye!

rude1

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on January 23, 2016, 12:47:43 am
Nolan's lawsuit against the University is what killed Arkansas basketball.  The Razorbacks could have hired Bill Self but, in order to prove the University was not racist, they hired Stan Heath.  THAT is what happened. . .end of story. . .bye, bye!
This keep being repeated about we could have had Self, but that ignores the reality that even if we had gotten him it would have only been for a season or two, unless you really believe he would have turned down Kansas to stay here.

Hogimus Prime

It was several things that killed Razorback basketball.

The two 'renegade' programs from the 90's, Arkansas and UNLV, haven't recovered from the hits they took. Now UNLV was caught cheating and the NCAA tried to nail Nolan but couldn't find anything to, but that investigation along with the other things going on killed it.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 22, 2016, 02:04:16 pm
Saxon, Poole and Pate are the ones I was specifically referring to.  Thompson to a lesser degree and Adebayo only because of the NCAA fiasco he was thrown in the middle of.  Obviously Hood, Bradley and Reid panned out quite well, but the misses on all those others knocked us down off our national pedestal.

I disagree to a degree.  Hood never developed much of an offensive game.  Reid never developed an outside shot and drove into the lane jus to get his shot blocked far too frequently.  Bradley was a one dimensional sharp shooter that would have been lucky to see the court on the 93 or 94 teams.  The Bradley love-fest always surprises me.  His scoring and three point totals weren't because of how awesome he was.  It is because he was basically our only offensive weapon.

Don't get me wrong.  I loved watching these guys, and they were Hogs.  However, I think people have a tendency to use revisionist history with regards to the Reid/Hood teams.  They were a huge step down from the Day/Mayberry & Corliss/Thurman teams.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: The Boar War on January 22, 2016, 02:39:07 pm
Just so long as you don't give Long a single ounce of credit.

Honestly, does he deserve any beyond putting a signature on a piece of paper?  Is Long a good AD?  I guess he probably is.  Is he great at ferreting out good coaches?  I haven't seen it.  We almost had Bowden or Grobe.  Let that sink in.  Also, the story goes that he wasn't listening to BP until JJ finally got personally involved.  That hardly instills confidence.  BB?  A bromance letter to Long, a desire to go to a program that had shown potential under, ironically, BP who Long apparently didn't want, and his desire to get away from Alvarez led to this hire.

As for Mike, their would have been pitchforks and torches from the public if Long didn't hire him.

If you want to praise Long, why don't we do it in areas that are legitimate.  Branding the official color of red, updating the website, etc.  Those were good calls on his part.  His track record of hiring the premiere coaching slots of men's b-ball and football?  If you give him a grade baseed on outcome I'd say an incomplete grade.  If you give him a grade on intent (Bowden & Grobe) I'd say it would have to be  D.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 23, 2016, 12:04:44 am
You guys have a better memory than me. I forgot a lot of the names mentioned above. I think it's my mind trying to block out painful memories.

But who was that big name coach that was begging to come to Arkansas when Jeff Long said he'd rather have Mike Anderson?

I keep forgetting his name but I remember it was a huge story at the time when Long announced he would only consider mediocre coaches for the Razorbacks going forward.

Long does appear to put having a recognizable name at the top of his coaching search m.o.  A top AD would put coaching talent first.  Broyles brought in Sutton and Richardson, virtual unknowns but great coaches.  He had the best interests of the program ahead of his own.

hoglady

We were within an inch of having a Top 10 team this year.
If Portis and Qualls had stayed that's what we would be.
Even if only Qualls stays we are probably still Top 25.
Then he's tweeting about how Hog ball is back.
I truly believe that those 2 indicated to MA they were coming back and unfortunately they didn't.
Such a fine line between being really, really good and average.
(Losing Williams really hurt, too)
This team is Anderson's best coaching job by far.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogfan10

[/quote]
Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 23, 2016, 04:17:29 am
I disagree to a degree.  Hood never developed much of an offensive game.  Reid never developed an outside shot and drove into the lane jus to get his shot blocked far too frequently.  Bradley was a one dimensional sharp shooter that would have been lucky to see the court on the 93 or 94 teams.  The Bradley love-fest always surprises me.  His scoring and three point totals weren't because of how awesome he was.  It is because he was basically our only offensive weapon.

Don't get me wrong.  I loved watching these guys, and they were Hogs.  However, I think people have a tendency to use revisionist history with regards to the Reid/Hood teams.  They were a huge step down from the Day/Mayberry & Corliss/Thurman teams.

All of those guys (Reid, Bradley, Hood) were pieces to a puzzle. Problem was we didn't make it to the table with all the pieces.

rude1

Quote from: hoglady on January 23, 2016, 08:25:40 am
We were within an inch of having a Top 10 team this year.
If Portis and Qualls had stayed that's what we would be.
Even if only Qualls stays we are probably still Top 25.
Then he's tweeting about how Hog ball is back.
I truly believe that those 2 indicated to MA they were coming back and unfortunately they didn't.
Such a fine line between being really, really good and average.
(Losing Williams really hurt, too)
This team is Anderson's best coaching job by far.
On the court coaching I would agree. Program management has been terrible which is why he is having to pull out all stops with the smoke and mirrors to get this team to play .500 competitive basketball. His inability to land quality recruits is what has led us here, I am hesitant to give him credit for an excellent coaching job of an uninspiring roster that he put together........

hoglady

Quote from: rude1 on January 23, 2016, 08:57:51 am
On the court coaching I would agree. Program management has been terrible which is why he is having to pull out all stops with the smoke and mirrors to get this team to play .500 competitive basketball. His inability to land quality recruits is what has led us here, I am hesitant to give him credit for an excellent coaching job of an uninspiring roster that he put together........

Yes - I was referring to on court coaching.
I don't think any fan was happy with recruiting last spring - MA's biggest fail was with Qualls. Recruiting him to stay. Kid was in no way ready for the NBA. But the Williams/Beard legal problems have proven to be a real difference maker, too. If those 2 are playing from the start - this teams record would probably pretty good right now. Losing Portis, Qualls coupled with the Beard, Williams problems was just too much to overcome. Williams could really be helping this team right now.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

rude1

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on January 23, 2016, 02:59:43 am
He wouldn't have left for Kansas, just a couple of years after taking the Arkansas job. Going from Illinois to Kansas, and going from Arkansas to Kansas were two totally different things at that time.  We would've been his Kansas. The committee to hire Houston Nutt, and the committee to hire Stan Heath, were the two biggest mistakes in the history of Razorback Athletics.  We would've had Tommy Tubberville and Bill Self.  Both would've been successful, and both might still be here.  But, then we would've missed out on the fun of the last 15 years .
You would have to be delusional if you truly believe that Self would have considered Arkansas basketball as the equivalent to Kansas basketball. Pretty much anyone who with any objectivity would know that wasn't the case. Self was working his way up the coaching ladder and Arkansas would have been another wrung just like Illinois was.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: rude1 on January 23, 2016, 09:18:38 am
You would have to be delusional if you truly believe that Self would have considered Arkansas basketball as the equivalent to Kansas basketball. Pretty much anyone who with any objectivity would know that wasn't the case. Self was working his way up the coaching ladder and Arkansas would have been another wrung just like Illinois was.

At the time Self would have been hired instead of Heath, you're wrong.  Hawgball was a top tier program.  You could go back and split hairs about where each of the 7 or 8 teams ranked in that tier, but we were there.

You also realize that we were the winningest team of the 90s until those last 3 years or so in which we went from first to third.  I think your contempt for our current state of the program has jaded your memory.

Would he have left us for Kansas?  I don't think so, but maybe.

One thing I consistently gripe about (seemingly by myself) on here is the power of media.  Make no mistake, the mainstream media wants to discuss ad nauseam how great XYZ school is with all their tradition.  Don't worry about their 34 year drought of even having .500 ball, we'll tell you why any recruit should be ecstatic to attend there, and why any coach would kill puppies and beat his wife for a chance to coach there.

That kind of bombardment matters.  It adds up over time.  It's free recruiting efforts and advertising.
Kansas is one of those schools.  For whatever reason, we never were let into this ''Good Ole Boys'' club.
If he would have left us back in those days, IMHO it would have been because of this.
His response to me:

rude1

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 23, 2016, 09:37:34 am
At the time Self would have been hired instead of Heath, you're wrong.  Hawgball was a top tier program.  You could go back and split hairs about where each of the 7 or 8 teams ranked in that tier, but we were there.

You also realize that we were the winningest team of the 90s until those last 3 years or so in which we went from first to third.  I think your contempt for our current state of the program has jaded your memory.

Would he have left us for Kansas?  I don't think so, but maybe.

One thing I consistently gripe about (seemingly by myself) on here is the power of media.  Make no mistake, the mainstream media wants to discuss ad nauseam how great XYZ school is with all their tradition.  Don't worry about their 34 year drought of even having .500 ball, we'll tell you why any recruit should be ecstatic to attend there, and why any coach would kill puppies and beat his wife for a chance to coach there.

That kind of bombardment matters.  It adds up over time.  It's free recruiting efforts and advertising.
Kansas is one of those schools.  For whatever reason, we never were let into this ''Good Ole Boys'' club.
If he would have left us back in those days, IMHO it would have been because of this.
Kansas is one of the historical blue bloods of college basketball, Arkansas has never been considered one of the elite programs of the sport.

hoglady

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on January 23, 2016, 09:50:36 am
It's nice to see other people use their brain, instead of regurgitating what the media tells them to.
Kansas won two National Championships before Bill Self, and one was fluke they cheated to get.  Their reputation under Roy Williams was win a bunch of games, get to the tourney as a 1 or 2 seed, choke, and then watch Roy cry. 

Oh - I would give you a thousand +1 for that post.
Never been a Roy Williams fan - I think it started with all that crying he used to do at Kansas.
Just drove me crazy.

rude1

It's nice to see other people use their brain, instead of regurgitating what the media tells them to.
Kansas won two National Championships before Bill Self, and one was fluke they cheated to get.  Their reputation under Roy Williams was win a bunch of games, get to the tourney as a 1 or 2 seed, choke, and then watch Roy cry. 
"Kansas ranks second all-time in NCAA Division I wins with 2,153 wins (as of the end of the 2014–15 season), against 831 losses (.722 all time winning %, 3rd all-time). This record includes a 700–108 (.866) mark at historic Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks are first in NCAA history with 97 winning seasons, and tied for first in NCAA history with 100 non-losing (.500 or better) seasons with Kentucky. Kansas has the fewest head coaches ( 8 ) of any program that has been around 100 years, yet has reached the Final Four under more head coaches (6) than any other program in the nation."

There is no comparing Arkansas basketball to Kansas, the media isn't making that up. No they don't have the NCs of Ky or even UCLA, but they have been a very good program for a very long time.....................

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 23, 2016, 09:56:25 am
I find this interesting:

Let me offer a school for comparison - Michigan State. 

I'm old enough to remember Michigan State when Jud Heathcote became the coach - prior to Earvin Johnson.  Even with MSU's two year run when Johnson was there, State really wasn't one of the chosen few at that point either as I recall.  It took Tom Izzo's run (which admittedly has been among the best coaching tenures in college basketball history) to put them on the map (in the club?).

Arkansas just hasn't had that kind of run - the run which puts you in the club - in its history.

Sutton and Richardson?
Really?  Just how much consistent success is required?

I sorta get your point, but I'm thinking it has more to do with how unsexy we appeared back in those days.
MSU - Urban, working-class, close to large cities.
Ark - Rural, poor, Hillbillies.

Possible?
His response to me:

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: rude1 on January 23, 2016, 09:59:10 am
"Kansas ranks second all-time in NCAA Division I wins with 2,153 wins (as of the end of the 2014–15 season), against 831 losses (.722 all time winning %, 3rd all-time). This record includes a 700–108 (.866) mark at historic Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks are first in NCAA history with 97 winning seasons, and tied for first in NCAA history with 100 non-losing (.500 or better) seasons with Kentucky. Kansas has the fewest head coaches ( 8 ) of any program that has been around 100 years, yet has reached the Final Four under more head coaches (6) than any other program in the nation."

There is no comparing Arkansas basketball to Kansas, the media isn't making that up. No they don't have the NCs of Ky or even UCLA, but they have been a very good program for a very long time.....................

You're sorta making my point about perception.  Why should a recruit care what happened 110 years ago?  Yet, the media's droning about how great the school is, sometimes in spite of any success over a 25 year time frame, continues.

Also, I really think you're discounting how truly great we were during most of Sutton's career and Richardson's.

Maybe by your criteria the ''Good Ole Boys'' are sacred and never changing and possibly this is so.  To hear the media tell it, it's great when UCLA is in the mix.  They have been ineffectual longer than we have for he most part.  So the question should be why?  Because of success from so long ago that the fathers of the current recruits didn't even see it first-hand or were too young to remember it?
His response to me:

rude1

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 23, 2016, 10:31:34 am
You're sorta making my point about perception.  Why should a recruit care what happened 110 years ago?  Yet, the media's droning about how great the school is, sometimes in spite of any success over a 25 year time frame, continues.

Also, I really think you're discounting how truly great we were during most of Sutton's career and Richardson's.

Maybe by your criteria the ''Good Ole Boys'' are sacred and never changing and possibly this is so.  To hear the media tell it, it's great when UCLA is in the mix.  They have been ineffectual longer than we have for he most part.  So the question should be why?  Because of success from so long ago that the fathers of the current recruits didn't even see it first-hand or were too young to remember it?
HUH? You are talking about success under two head coaches compared to a program that has gone to final fours under 6 different head coaches. Perception? Those numbers are the reality, they are good now and have been historically good. Trying to make this into Kansas being some type of media creation is bizarre at best. For the record NO  UCLA has NOT been as bad as we have been for as long. From 2006 - 2008, 3 straight final fours and a runners up. You would be wrong again........

woodhog14

January 23, 2016, 10:56:11 am #79 Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:12:58 am by woodhog14
Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on January 22, 2016, 04:49:03 pm
Gottlieb pegged it.

Nolan Richardson sunk the program.  We hired his sub par pupil MA who is a mid level coach who's done nothing. Fans have bailed. Can't even sell out KU.

We are so far irrelevant it's not funny. National media laughs when were brought up. Too bad a few on here can't see past there love of Nolan. He doomed this program 

When have we ever played Kansas in BWA to sell it out?  :P

Athog

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 22, 2016, 02:16:59 pm
Yes, Nolan spiraled because he didn't like coaching basketball anymore. It had nothing to do with his tyrant boss?  Can't believe we'd allow outsiders in our program, when Sutton, Broyles, and Nolan were all people who graduated from and came from Arkansas...
[/quote

Exactly!!

rude1

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 23, 2016, 10:53:45 am
I think SooiecidetillNuttgone is speaking in the larger sense more than pointing at any one particular team - I think he's looking at the media effect in general here. 
Well I was talking about there being no comparison between Kansas basketball and Arkansas basketball and the numbers don't lie about this. Anyone claiming there is some bizarre media creation reasoning behind why Kansas is considered one of the elite programs is either a blind homer or totally lacking knowledge of the history of college basketball......I put it right there in black and white and some still refused to see the obvious.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: woodhog14 on January 23, 2016, 10:56:11 am
When have we ever played Kansas in BWA to sell it out?

He meant UK.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 23, 2016, 10:53:45 am
I think SooiecidetillNuttgone is speaking in the larger sense more than pointing at any one particular team - I think he's looking at the media effect in general here. 

Ding.  Ding.  Ding.
Thanks.  +1 if I could.

Which makes me wonder if they're (Karma/Smites) gone for good this time.  Historically they disappear for no given reason and come back the same way.  Considering how many use and like them, it would be nice if a Mod or Admin would be willing to give us a heads up and/or explanation.

Admin?
Mod?
His response to me:

woodhog14

HawgAdvocate

Except Roy's Kansas program won 80% of their games, were in the Top 25 in 242 of 268 weekly polls, made four Final Fours, an Elite Eight, and four Sweet Sixteen appearances in 15 seasons. Oh, but let's simplify it down to some disappointing tears. What was UNC thinking, right?

rude1

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 23, 2016, 11:11:08 am
Kansas is 5th in all time Final Four appearances, Arkansas is tied for 10th.
Kansas is 8th in NCAA Championships with 3 ('52, '88, '08), Arkansas only NC was '94.

Does Kansas have a better CV than Arkansas - certainly yes.
But Kansas certainly choked away some titles (or potential title shots) over the years - it certainly seems they could have (should have) won more titles over the years than they have.  If a program is that storied (revered), you'd think they would have more hardware to show for it. 

Disclaimer: we have not considered the NIT here and if you go back in time far enough, the NIT was once held in very high esteem.
You are only using one criteria and that is NC. I posted the historical sustained success of the Kansas program. There is no denying they are one of the elite. Just think they have had 8 different coaches in their history, only 2 have failed to take the program to a final four......That is sustained success over the history of the program. We have nothing to compare that to, other than say we were once the winningest program in the 90's, even though by the end of the 90s that was no longer true.......

phadedhawg

everybody gets to be right when there is no way to prove anybody wrong

Redbug

Quote from: rude1 on January 23, 2016, 09:51:08 am
Kansas is one of the historical blue bloods of college basketball, Arkansas has never been considered one of the elite programs of the sport.
[/quote
Quote from: rude1 on January 23, 2016, 09:51:08 am

Kansas is hyped because of James Naismith->Phog Allen (Wilt Chamberlain, JoJo White,Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, Ralph Miller) from the late 50's after Wilt left and Allen had been forced to retire Kansas was not a big dog again until Larry Brown showed up in 1983...and after 5 years culminating in a NCCA title....sanctions followed. Roy Williams was there for 17 years and although a very good recruiter and decent coach couldn't quite ever get over the hump and win the prize...enter Bill Self in 2003 and they've won 1 title but been very successful in both recruiting and record as they've dominated a very tough Big 12. Bill Self had connections to Eddie Sutton and had seen how Arkansas had risen into a consistent top 20 program over the span of the late 70's thru the mid 90's...at the time it was still a high level program in need of new direction... just a small step down to the next tier of program behind the half a dozen true  top tier blue blood programs with all the advantages and successes of the last 40+ years...there was always talk that he was "very interested" in the job...It's hard to remember ALL THE SUCCESSES and hard work put into the 20 years of really good basketball when the last 20 years...1996-2016 the Arkansas Basketball program has become"the Detroit Michigan" of NCAA Basketball pretty due for the same reasons...horrible leadership and vision from the top down....

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 22, 2016, 03:03:05 pm
Now I know I've lost my memory.  I'd have sworn Iguodala played for the University of Arizona.
he did but he committed to Nolan first.  Nolan was fired and Iguodala went to Zona.  Nolan had him. I believe that is right.  Someone may come in with more correct details but I know he committed to Ark.

hobhog

Frank Broyles was a good football coach.

40+ years ago.

HotlantaHog

Do we have to have this debate after every loss?

You know Duke lost three consecutive games... to Clemson, Notre Dame and Syracuse...

Basketball is a long season with lots of ups and downs, and yes, I understand there are more downs than ups right now. Still it doesn't seem the time to assess the team, program and coach after EVERY game.

Redbug

Quote from: woodhog14 on January 23, 2016, 10:56:11 am
When have we ever played Kansas in BWA to sell it out?  :P

I know you were just "funnin" woodhog...but just a couple of fun facts for anybody else that comes along late to this thread....

UA vs the MIGHTY KANSAS Jaysquawks...5-8 all-time (1-6 up until 1966)....but 4-2 since 1976....
I personally witnessed us kick there tail in Barton Coliseum (LR) when they had Darnell Valentine and Paul Mokeski. Eddie had previously beaten them a year earlier in the vaunted "Phog". Nolan lost to Larry Brown during Nolan's 1st season but kicked his tail the following year in Barnhill by 17 after trailing 42-40 at the half. One of the worst losses I can remember was when the ultra talented MayDay team choked against a Richard Scott led KU team in the elite eight....IF they'd played 100 more times the Hogs would have won 99...smh...Even often ridiculed Stan Health beat a Bill Self led KU squad in Maui...

you can find these at Hogstats...http://www.hogstats.com/seriesresults.php?opponent=Kansas

Smithian

Quote from: HotlantaHog on January 23, 2016, 10:46:20 pm
Do we have to have this debate after every loss?

You know Duke lost three consecutive games... to Clemson, Notre Dame and Syracuse...

Basketball is a long season with lots of ups and downs, and yes, I understand there are more downs than ups right now. Still it doesn't seem the time to assess the team, program and coach after EVERY game.
In fairness, Hogs have lost a few more games past years than the Blue Devils

bigredone

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 22, 2016, 02:16:59 pm
Yes, Nolan spiraled because he didn't like coaching basketball anymore. It had nothing to do with his tyrant boss?  Can't believe we'd allow outsiders in our program, when Sutton, Broyles, and Nolan were all people who graduated from and came from Arkansas...

Whether they accept it or not Broyles killed basketball and had football in a bad place.

Now college basketball is dead to me because of the attempt to become NBA Lite. I have no use for it anymore.

Sivad

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on January 23, 2016, 12:47:43 am
Nolan's lawsuit against the University is what killed Arkansas basketball.
Yes it is.
On his way out Nolan tried his best to destroy the U of A with his losing lawsuit using the most inflammatory and damning claims possible and he did succeed in destroying Arkansas basketball for a very long time.

RacinRazorback

Bottom line, Nolan built and Nolan tore it down! Years later and we are still suffering from it!