Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Miss Razorback Basketball

Started by Razorfox, January 22, 2016, 09:59:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChamps

Quote from: W_KY_Hog on January 22, 2016, 03:02:07 pm
I'm about 40 miles from Murray. You know there's a Hog connection to Murray State. But that's another story for another time.

Fancy Farm?

Athog

Quote from: Razorfox on January 22, 2016, 09:59:00 am
I was there during the late 1990s when every game was sold out and there were no empty seats and a game against KY would have been overflowing.  I was one of the students who showed up hours early and waited in line for hours and hours to get season tickets.  Last night, the crowd was OK, but very lethargic looking on TV.  Back in those days, we also never lost home games, no matter how good the visiting team may have been.

It's sad that I was only interested in watching a few minutes of the game live last night.  And then I just fast-forwarded through it once I finished watching a couple of shows on Netflix. This is also only the second game I've even tried to watch this year, even with the SEC-N.  I've tried desperately over the last decade to keep my interest level up, but I just can't do it anymore. 

Can the program ever recover and return to even a shadow of its former days and get the excitement back in the fanbase? 

Not with your attitude. This is not the 90s!!

W_KY_Hog

UKChamps

Quote from: W_KY_Hog on January 22, 2016, 08:22:20 pm
Closer to Possum Trot!
I'm not far from Monkey's Eyebrow.  #WestWestKentucky

pigmailyen

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 22, 2016, 12:13:28 pm

There are two ways to get HOF coaches: hire them away from another school or be astute enough at identifying talent and networking with others in the profession to identify it. I don't see the first as a viable option. I can't think of the last coach of that magnitude who left one college job for another. Williams in 2003, from Kansas to North Carolina?

Why don't you think it's a viable option?

Razorfox

Quote from: Athog on January 22, 2016, 08:11:35 pm
Not with your attitude. This is not the 90s!!

It's still the 90s for Kentucky, Michigan State, Duke, Florida (at least until very recently), Kansas, etc.  This idea that certain programs can't get and stay on top is wrong. 

code red

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2016, 10:20:51 am
He is doing a great job coaching this roster, but he is also responsible for the quality of the roster.
Breif.  Yet entirely accurate.  If Mike doesn't get us off the mat,...and soon then you got to consider other options.  The level of talent is subpar.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

LR_Matt

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2016, 10:57:09 am
I miss what Razorback basketball was and feel for those who never got to experience Barnhill or the 90s in BWA.  The atmospheres and the talent on the court.  The product has changed and not just at Arkansas.  It is understandable it can be hard for those whose fandom developed for college basketball and Razorback basketball during the sport's peak to not feel the same passion or have the same interest.  "27 wins", "last season".  Not saying it is right or fair but you can't force it on people. 

It can.  It will likely be different than what you remember as that has been lost.  But something new near that level is  possible.  Last night's attendance shows the possibility is very real.  Hog fans will return to basketball with passion if given sustained success with some high level postseason achievement.

What's your definition of sustained success and high level post season achievement? We have one championship. That means we've never had sustained success before. Seriously, what do you mean??? Just making the NCAA? One in 5 years? Multiple NCAA championships?

I'll answer my own question.... I expect to see the hogs in the sweet 16 every year or at least 4 out of 5.... But, for that we'd need a high level recruiter.

Smithian

Quote from: Breems on January 22, 2016, 10:14:00 am
Did you watch the games last year?
Oddly enough, basketball is more fun when you have a 5* stud on the roster. We recruiting any in state 5* studs this cycle?

On a less sarcastic note, I watch basketball games still but don't get as high or low as I used too. The financial commitment in Mike Anderson and the facility improvements was the home run swing by the athletic department to revive the program. Barring something crazy, we're about to finish year 5 with one NCAA appearance. I'm not sure what better hire could have been made after Pelphrey and if we fired Anderson I don't know who we could go after and pay enough money to come coach the Hogs. At this point, I'm just hoping we land the next Portis or Monk and maybe we'll have enough talent around them that we can make it past the Round of 32.

We hired the right coach, have had a good amount of in state talent, found a couple diamonds in the rough (Qualls, Kingsley), and had a down conference, but a few years in we are where we are. Maybe things will get better, but if not it will not end pretty and we won't be trying to make a home run hire.

WilsonHog

Quote from: LR_Matt on January 23, 2016, 02:31:46 pm
What's your definition of sustained success and high level post season achievement? We have one championship. That means we've never had sustained success before. Seriously, what do you mean??? Just making the NCAA? One in 5 years? Multiple NCAA championships?

I'll answer my own question.... I expect to see the hogs in the sweet 16 every year or at least 4 out of 5.... But, for that we'd need a high level recruiter.

On what evidence do you base your expectations?

LR_Matt

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 23, 2016, 04:27:42 pm
On what evidence do you base your expectations?
None. That's my wish list....

WilsonHog

Quote from: LR_Matt on January 23, 2016, 04:38:54 pm
None. That's my wish list....

Interesting. I'd have to run the numbers, but I'm pretty sure we didn't meet those expectations under Eddie or Nolan.

LR_Matt

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 23, 2016, 04:42:02 pm
Interesting. I'd have to run the numbers, but I'm pretty sure we didn't meet those expectations under Eddie or Nolan.
Agreed. My wish list also includes a much better coach than Nolan. He was average in my book.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: LR_Matt on January 23, 2016, 04:45:03 pm
Agreed. My wish list also includes a much better coach than Nolan. He was average in my book.
Serious? jeez!
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

WilsonHog

Here you go.

Eddie's teams made the Sweet 16 four times in 11 years (36%).

Nolan's teams made the Sweet 16 six times in 17 years (35%).

Far cry from the 80% you expect.

Out of curiosity, has your research turned up any coach whose teams make the Sweet 16 or better 80% of the time?

Razorbacks#1

You do realize he is the only coach to have won an NIT Championship, a JUCO Championship and a D1 Championship right, elected to the Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame, whatever
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!