Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Miss Razorback Basketball

Started by Razorfox, January 22, 2016, 09:59:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorfox

I was there during the late 1990s when every game was sold out and there were no empty seats and a game against KY would have been overflowing.  I was one of the students who showed up hours early and waited in line for hours and hours to get season tickets.  Last night, the crowd was OK, but very lethargic looking on TV.  Back in those days, we also never lost home games, no matter how good the visiting team may have been.

It's sad that I was only interested in watching a few minutes of the game live last night.  And then I just fast-forwarded through it once I finished watching a couple of shows on Netflix. This is also only the second game I've even tried to watch this year, even with the SEC-N.  I've tried desperately over the last decade to keep my interest level up, but I just can't do it anymore. 

Can the program ever recover and return to even a shadow of its former days and get the excitement back in the fanbase? 

Breems

Did you watch the games last year?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Razorfox on January 22, 2016, 09:59:00 am
I was there during the late 1990s when every game was sold out and there were no empty seats and a game against KY would have been overflowing.  I was one of the students who showed up hours early and waited in line for hours and hours to get season tickets.  Last night, the crowd was OK, but very lethargic looking on TV.  Back in those days, we also never lost home games, no matter how good the visiting team may have been.

It's sad that I was only interested in watching a few minutes of the game live last night.  And then I just fast-forwarded through it once I finished watching a couple of shows on Netflix. This is also only the second game I've even tried to watch this year, even with the SEC-N.  I've tried desperately over the last decade to keep my interest level up, but I just can't do it anymore. 

Can the program ever recover and return to even a shadow of its former days and get the excitement back in the fanbase?

That's on you!!! You've missed seeing a team that plays hard and continues to improve. We keep bringing up the 90's and that time has passed. MA is doing a great coaching job with this team. Enjoy Netflix!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 10:16:15 am
That's on you!!! You've missed seeing a team that plays hard and continues to improve. We keep bringing up the 90's and that time has passed. MA is doing a great coaching job with this team. Enjoy Netflix!!!

He is doing a great job coaching this roster, but he is also responsible for the quality of the roster.

MountieDawg

Define Great Coaching Job?  What kind of job would he be doing if they were a Top 50 team?  What kind of coaching job would he be doing with a Top 25 team?  What type of coaching job would he be doing with a Top 10 team....  He is doing a good job with the talent he has on this team, but its year 5 and no one left to blame for the talent but him.   

My Report Card for MA in coaching responsibilites.

Getting the most out of talent      B+
Recruiting                                      D
Marketing                                       D
Hiring Quality Assistants               D
In game adjustments                     C
SEC!

hogsanity

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 22, 2016, 10:31:24 am
Define Great Coaching Job?  What kind of job would he be doing if they were a Top 50 team?  What kind of coaching job would he be doing with a Top 25 team?  What type of coaching job would he be doing with a Top 10 team....  He is doing a good job with the talent he has on this team, but its year 5 and no one left to blame for the talent but him.   

My Report Card for MA in coaching responsibilites.

Getting the most out of talent      B+
Recruiting                                      D
Marketing                                       D
Hiring Quality Assistants               D
In game adjustments                     C

But he's great at telling his team " they punkin you "
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Torqued pork

The terrible hirings and results of Heath and Pel would've put apathy in ANY fanbase. Criticizing the fans is wearing thin and the truth is one tournament appearance in 5 years isn't going to inspire much confidence.  If the mediocrity lasts a couple of more years with no changes it will be very obvious the PTB, like fans who find other things to do, don't really care anymore.

Atlhogfan1

I miss what Razorback basketball was and feel for those who never got to experience Barnhill or the 90s in BWA.  The atmospheres and the talent on the court.  The product has changed and not just at Arkansas.  It is understandable it can be hard for those whose fandom developed for college basketball and Razorback basketball during the sport's peak to not feel the same passion or have the same interest.  "27 wins", "last season".  Not saying it is right or fair but you can't force it on people. 

Quote from: Razorfox on January 22, 2016, 09:59:00 am

It can.  It will likely be different than what you remember as that has been lost.  But something new near that level is  possible.  Last night's attendance shows the possibility is very real.  Hog fans will return to basketball with passion if given sustained success with some high level postseason achievement. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 22, 2016, 10:52:10 am
The terrible hirings and results of Heath and Pel would've put apathy in ANY fanbase. Criticizing the fans is wearing thin and the truth is one tournament appearance in 5 years isn't going to inspire much confidence.  If the mediocrity lasts a couple of more years with no changes it will be very obvious the PTB, like fans who find other things to do, don't really care anymore.

Why was Heath a bad hire? He came in and went to the NCAAT in years 3 & 4, and left a team that Pel took to the NCAAt too.

They had to hire a AA coach when Nolan was let go to try to head of the claims of racism. Heath was a hot name due to taking unknown Kent to the Elite 8.

Now, in hindsight, knowing now what we did not know then, you can say it was a bad ire, but at the time it was really that bad.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

I don't see it as blaming the fans but rather more the product.  And that goes beyond just Arkansas.  It has changed. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2016, 11:00:19 am
I don't see it as blaming the fans but rather more the product.  And that goes beyond just Arkansas.  It has changed. 

Exactly. College basketball, for many reasons, is not what it was 20 years ago.

Torqued pork

January 22, 2016, 11:12:43 am #11 Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:51:25 pm by Torqued pork
Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 10:58:18 am
Why was Heath a bad hire? He came in and went to the NCAAT in years 3 & 4, and left a team that Pel took to the NCAAt too.

They had to hire a AA coach when Nolan was let go to try to head of the claims of racism. Heath was a hot name due to taking unknown Kent to the Elite 8.

Now, in hindsight, knowing now what we did not know then, you can say it was a bad ire, but at the time it was .really that bad.
The claims of racism had already been made by Nolan in the infamous presser. IIRC the national media decided Nolan came off as quite the @$$ and got little sympathy whether he had a case or not. The bottom line is Heath was simply not ready or capable of leading a program of the magnitude that Arkansas was at the time. It was a chicken crap hire.

Razorfox

Quote from: Breems on January 22, 2016, 10:14:00 am
Did you watch the games last year?

Yes, but not religiously like I would have in the past. 

Razorfox

That's the point, I haven't missed it.  I miss something from 15 years ago, not something from 15 days ago. 

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: Razorfox on January 22, 2016, 11:22:08 am
Yes, but not religiously like I would have in the past. 

You missed out then. The way things are going now you may have missed your last chance to see some quality BB. Next year could be interesting but I don't think it will be close to the same level as last year.

W_KY_Hog

I have a feeling Anderson will be the coach for as long as he wants it. Every few years the Hogs will have a decent season when they have a better than average recruiting year. I don't see any glory years coming.

Razorfox

Quote from: W_KY_Hog on January 22, 2016, 11:28:18 am
I have a feeling Anderson will be the coach for as long as he wants it. Every few years the Hogs will have a decent season when they have a better than average recruiting year. I don't see any glory years coming.

What's amazing is we can't even get lucky and have a run.  I mean it seems like every other team in the SEC (and maybe even the country) has had a good to great year since we have.  By that, I mean an Elite 8 or Sweet 16 type of season every once in a while. 

Razorfox

BTW, where in Western KY are you from?  I have a lot of family in Murray. 

Torqued pork

Your feeling is likely correct. We have become the settlers in the Direct TV commercial.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on January 22, 2016, 11:23:22 am
You missed out then. The way things are going now you may have missed your last chance to see some quality BB. Next year could be interesting but I don't think it will be close to the same level as last year.

Not sure how quality it was in terms of watching two good teams playing well.  Didn't seem to happen too often last season.  There was the win at UGa and the one at Ole Miss.  I guess for home wins you could reach for shorthanded Dayton or the OT win over Bama. 

There is a disconnect between those who get what the OP is saying and those who either don't want to hear it or are too young to understand. 

razoredge178

This is probably pretty close to true...but we can't forget about the $$$. As long as the $$$ stays, i.e. donors, ticket sales, etc., he's good.

The idea that just because Broyles built a 19K person arena during the ultimate hay day at ARK means we should fill it every game is ridiculous! Our 7-10K folks per conference game is top 3 attendance in the SEC and would fill up over 1/2 the SEC basketball facilities.

I've really enjoyed watching the progress of this CMA program. I don't see any grand pot of gold at the end of his rainbow, but I see lots of W's and lots of fun basketball to watch (minus last night). If he can continue to string along a decent run of JUCO's I think we can make a run every 3rd or 4th year. And you have to give him some credit on this front. JUCO is where our program has the chance to be successful. Getting a kid for 2 years vs. a high school grad for 1.

WilsonHog

I don't believe it is a coincidence that our periods of sustained success came under the leadership and direction of two HOF coaches. I don't believe it can come any other way, at least not at the level we enjoyed under Eddie and Nolan.

There are two ways to get HOF coaches: hire them away from another school or be astute enough at identifying talent and networking with others in the profession to identify it. I don't see the first as a viable option. I can't think of the last coach of that magnitude who left one college job for another. Williams in 2003, from Kansas to North Carolina?

That brings us to option two, identifying THAT guy. We failed three times, if that was our standard, in 14 years. Stan Heath? Good guy, at best a decent coach. Same with John Pelphrey. Mike is a good man and a good coach, but he's not a Hall-of-Famer. He's not a Bill Self, a Tom Izzo, a Mike Krzyzewski, a Rick Pitino, or a Roy Williams. Never will be. Few are.

Maybe the coach who follows Mike will take us back to the levels of Sutton and Richardson, when we went to four Final Fours and averaged 23 wins a year for 28 years. To do that, though, the guy will have to be willing to get his hands dirty in the AAU game. Mike won't (but I don't believe Eddie or Nolan would have, either). Will Razorback fans stomach that? Would the Board of Trustees or our administration at UA? 

Razorfox

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 22, 2016, 12:13:28 pm
I don't believe it is a coincidence that our periods of sustained success came under the leadership and direction of two HOF coaches. I don't believe it can come any other way, at least not at the level we enjoyed under Eddie and Nolan.

There are two ways to get HOF coaches: hire them away from another school or be astute enough at identifying talent and networking with others in the profession to identify it. I don't see the first as a viable option. I can't think of the last coach of that magnitude who left one college job for another. Williams in 2003, from Kansas to North Carolina?

That brings us to option two, identifying THAT guy. We failed three times, if that was our standard, in 14 years. Stan Heath? Good guy, at best a decent coach. Same with John Pelphrey. Mike is a good man and a good coach, but he's not a Hall-of-Famer. He's not a Bill Self, a Tom Izzo, a Mike Krzyzewski, a Rick Pitino, or a Roy Williams. Never will be. Few are.

Maybe the coach who follows Mike will take us back to the levels of Sutton and Richardson, when we went to four Final Fours and averaged 23 wins a year for 28 years. To do that, though, the guy will have to be willing to get his hands dirty in the AAU game. Mike won't (but I don't believe Eddie or Nolan would have, either). Will Razorback fans stomach that? Would the Board of Trustees or our administration at UA? 

By "get their hands dirty", do you mean cheat?

Atlhogfan1

Stoglin and Edgar would have.  I believe Sutton would have done as much as he could have too to a point.  I also don't believe that in order to recruit AAU stars successfully you have to blatantly cheat.  Blur the lines perhaps in some instances.  But recruiting is about branding and connections in basketball. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2016, 12:26:13 pm
Stoglin and Edgar would have.  I believe Sutton would have done as much as he could have too to a point. I also don't believe that in order to recruit AAU stars successfully you have to blatantly cheat.  Blur the lines perhaps in some instances.  But recruiting is about branding and connections in basketball.
That got a chuckle out of me for some reason...

WilsonHog

Quote from: Razorfox on January 22, 2016, 12:24:16 pm
By "get their hands dirty", do you mean cheat?

"Cheat," "skirt the rules," etc.

Atlhogfan1

The NCAA is allowing its rules to be blurred at the least.  If you read the bylaws, there are rules about marketing athletes before they get into college.  The recruit marketing services like the one the Shiloh kid had should not be allowed under NCAA bylaws.  What happens in AAU and with the shoe and apparel companies at the least blur the lines with the NCAA bylaws and marketing of athletes based on their athletic skill.  The sponsored 7 on 7 football tournaments and travel baseball can't be clean as far as the NCAA bylaws regarding marketing athletes either.  But if the NCAA goes after them, then it would affect a great deal of its top talent.  Learn how to play the game while staying within what the NCAA is allowing or deal with not trying. 

userpick

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 22, 2016, 12:52:32 pm
"Cheat," "skirt the rules," etc.

God forbid...I say that and I get called Bernie Madoff. You're absolutely right and anyone who doesn't agree will always have a .500 basketball program to cheer for

BRHogfan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2016, 12:26:13 pm
Stoglin and Edgar would have.  I believe Sutton would have done as much as he could have too to a point.  I also don't believe that in order to recruit AAU stars successfully you have to blatantly cheat.  Blur the lines perhaps in some instances.  But recruiting is about branding and connections in basketball.

Yeah, we had the Monk connection, and that really helped.  Maybe we can identify some really good player's godfather and hire him like LSU did?

WilsonHog

Quote from: userpick on January 22, 2016, 01:17:24 pm
God forbid...I say that and I get called Bernie Madoff. You're absolutely right and anyone who doesn't agree will always have a .500 basketball program to cheer for

Um, I don't agree.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 22, 2016, 01:20:42 pm
Yeah, we had the Monk connection, and that really helped.  Maybe we can identify some really good player's godfather and hire him like LSU did?

It didn't help with Monk.  Connections did help with Whitt. 

beartown

I was excited when Mike was hired, but I have really been disappointed with recruiting. This year team is driven by the success of a bunch of jump shot players. When they shoot well, they will look good, but they have nothing to fall back on when they aren't shooting well.

It drives me crazy to see Kingsley try to block shots he has no chance of blocking and then the person he is guarding gets an offside rebound for an easy put back.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: beartown on January 22, 2016, 01:35:02 pm
I was excited when Mike was hired, but I have really been disappointed with recruiting. This year team is driven by the success of a bunch of jump shot players. When they shoot well, they will look good, but they have nothing to fall back on when they aren't shooting well.

It drives me crazy to see Kingsley try to block shots he has no chance of blocking and then the person he is guarding gets an offside rebound for an easy put back.

Shooting plays a big role in our success.  We still don't have the players to play the desired defensive system.

I agree on the weakside rebounding.  Has been an issue before this season as well.  Shot challenging is good but it just delays the scoring for a team like UK. 

EastexHawg

It just hit me last night.  Anyone seen the DirecTV commercials?  "Can we get DirecTV, Pa?" 

"No, son, we're settlers.  We settle for cable."

A lot, if not most, of the Arkansas fan base (all sports) have become settlers.  Years ago the fans expected the football and basketball (not to mention track and field) teams to finish among the nation's best.  Now...

BRHogfan

Quote from: beartown on January 22, 2016, 01:35:02 pm

But when he alters the shot, and another Arkansas player has his head on a swivel to fight for position and get a rebound, how do you feel about it then?

It's strange to be upset about jump shooters.  I remember when we didn't have ANY.  When Eric Ferguson's three point shooting was the best on the team.  My how the times have changed.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 22, 2016, 01:41:57 pm
But when he alters the shot, and another Arkansas player has his head on a swivel to fight for position and get a rebound, how do you feel about it then?

I'll tell you how I feel about it the first time I see it happen.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 22, 2016, 01:40:40 pm
It just hit me last night.  Anyone seen the DirecTV commercials?  "Can we get DirecTV, Pa?" 

"No, son, we're settlers.  We settle for cable."

A lot, if not most, of the Arkansas fan base (all sports) have become settlers.  Years ago the fans expected the football and basketball (not to mention track and field) teams to finish among the nation's best.  Now...

Go churn some butter and make your own clothes.      >:(
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2016, 01:39:42 pm

We still don't have the players to play the desired defensive system.

5 seasons in and still does not have the players to run they systme he wants.  4 years of " just wait until this is all Mike' s players ". Well, they are all his and it is very possible they will have his worst record in 5 seasons as Hog HC and maybe his worst record ever as a HC.

beartown

I don't have a problem with jump shooters. Scotty Thurman, Pat Bradley and Al Dillard were awesome, but they weren't the only option those teams had. Moses has made progress on the offensive end, but I would rank him in the top 25 big men that have played for the Hawgs.

Blocked shots and altered shots are great as well. However, how many blocks did Moses have last night versus how many put back buckets did he give up when he wasn't within 5 feet of a block.

In basketball, one special player can make a team. We saw that with Bobbie last year. However, we saw it with Corliss, Day, Mayberry and others, when we also had some quality players around them. Cory Beck would stomp a mud hole in about half this team for their play last night, if he was on the team.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: beartown on January 22, 2016, 01:53:37 pm
I don't have a problem with jump shooters. Scotty Thurman, Pat Bradley and Al Dillard were awesome, but they weren't the only option those teams had. Moses has made progress on the offensive end, but I would rank him in the top 25 big men that have played for the Hawgs.

Blocked shots and altered shots are great as well. However, how many blocks did Moses have last night versus how many put back buckets did he give up when he wasn't within 5 feet of a block.

In basketball, one special player can make a team. We saw that with Bobbie last year. However, we saw it with Corliss, Day, Mayberry and others, when we also had some quality players around them. Cory Beck would stomp a mud hole in about half this team for their play last night, if he was on the team.

I could live with a group like these guys...

hogsanity

Atlhogfan1

I mention this in relation to the earlier mention of not having players currently to defend as Coach A would want, how hard it is to compare eras and how another adjustment may have to be made.  The 93-95 group is being mentioned of course as we lament what was.  You have to wonder what adjustments the 93-95 group would have to make with the rules changes and how the game is being called especially this season.  They played defense so much with the hands directing opponents where they wanted them to go.  The 93-94 team committed 708 fouls before the handcheck emphasis which is more than any season since other than 94-95 when in 5 more games the team committed 789 fouls.  The handcheck emphasis happened the 95 season and caused the team some issues.  (That 90s group was so talented offensively with shot makers and the low post nightmare matchup in Corliss they would thrive in any era no matter the def rule changes.)

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2016, 02:15:31 pm
I mention this in relation to the earlier mention of not having players currently to defend as Coach A would want, how hard it is to compare eras and how another adjustment may have to be made.  The 93-95 group is being mentioned of course as we lament what was.  You have to wonder what adjustments the 93-95 group would have to make with the rules changes and how the game is being called especially this season.  They played defense so much with the hands directing opponents where they wanted them to go.  The 93-94 team committed 708 fouls before the handcheck emphasis which is more than any season since other than 94-95 when in 5 more games the team committed 789 fouls.  The handcheck emphasis happened the 95 season and caused the team some issues.  (That 90s group was so talented offensively with shot makers and the low post nightmare matchup in Corliss they would thrive in any era no matter the def rule changes.)

which is why I said from before he was hired that a return to "hawgbawl" just was not possible. Teams are not allowed to play that way anymore. Corey Beck would foul out in about 3 minutes now.

BRHogfan

Quote from: beartown on January 22, 2016, 01:53:37 pm

Kingsley can't play defense on every player.  Bobby was able to step up to a slashing guard and alter their shot while Harris was on his backside to clean it up. 

If you're THAT worried about the putback (I think Kentucky is the best in the country at it), then I think you're only watching our last two games.  The other thing you should get clear is that Kingsley is on the block to do what he's doing.  If they're missing badly, it's on the other 4 players to have a hunger to clean up the glass and get rebounds.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 02:19:32 pm
which is why I said from before he was hired that a return to "hawgbawl" just was not possible. Teams are not allowed to play that way anymore. Corey Beck would foul out in about 3 minutes now.

It still has affects.  The Hogs still cause a lot of turnovers relative to other teams although it is down this season.  They still have a high number of possessions per game vs the rest of the SEC and college basketball.  But the get into their legs thing and opponents hit the wall at about the 10-12 min mark of the second half just doesn't happen very often anymore.  With this team's inability to cause turnovers at a high rate, they have trouble in games like last night offsetting the extra scoring chances gained by off reb's of the opponent.  The Hogs avg 5.3 extra scoring chances a game last season and it wasn't a great def team.  This season only 2.8 so far. 

Bowfishinghogfan

The seat heats up with missing the dance this year. Baring a decent run in the dance the hogs will be replacing MA after next season.

The Boar War

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 22, 2016, 11:41:20 am
Your feeling is likely correct. We have become the settlers in the Direct TV commercial.

True but the feelings expressed in the op is what helped make it that way.

We have to have an exciting brand of basketball.  Not just a winning brand one that is exciting or we will talk about the 90's and stay at home.

We can't just win a majority of the games.  We have to win every home game or we will talk about how it was in the 90's and stay at home.

So we hired a coach from that time period and assumed it would just happen.  We're not progressing because a majority of the fans, boosters, and administration don't miss Razorback Basketball they miss the absolute pinnacle that was achieved after a long climb that began in the mid 70's and ended in the mid 90's.

Do what works now not what worked 20 + years ago.

The Boar War

Do you remember the brief second where it looked like we were hiring Calapari from Memphis?  There were a few that had issue but most were hoping it went through.

W_KY_Hog

Quote from: Razorfox on January 22, 2016, 11:40:19 am
BTW, where in Western KY are you from?  I have a lot of family in Murray. 
I'm about 40 miles from Murray. You know there's a Hog connection to Murray State. But that's another story for another time.

EastexHawg

Dang, how did I miss this?  Oh, well, so much for my original thought.

As for whether we will insist on running a squeaky clean program that doesn't rely on players who are trouble...how can anyone ask that with a straight face?  Has everyone forgotten who and what have happened to "improve the squad" this very season?