Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Dykes

Started by hogwild6700, January 21, 2016, 10:43:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwild6700

In no way is this meant to be a "Fire Mike Anderson" thread. I like Mike and hope he has success before his time expires in Fayetteville. With that being said...

Would it surprise anyone if Jimmy Dykes was next in line to replace CMA? He is really making some headway with the Women's team. He can recruit. He's a former Hog.

Arkansas is going to have to get an up and comer in the coaching market or someone with some baggage that many schools don't want. That is how we have consistent success. We were lucky to even get Mike. I think Jimmy D is going to be a hot name in the coaching circles in a few years. That will be right around the time that Mike is sent out to pasture.

Again, I love Mike. Not trying to call for his head. But I am surprised that I haven't seen this topic brought up. It seems like I remember some goons on here bringing his name up for the AD position before Long was hired. But that's about it.

I'm curious to know what everyone's thoughts are on this.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

NuttinItUp

Have there been instances of other coaches that jumped from coaching women to men?

I am not being funny; I am genuinely curious, because I do not know the answer.

hogwild6700

Good point. But we were also one of the first in the SEC to break ground by bringing a High School Coach on our staff. Apples and oranges I know. But we are all about going about things in an unorthodox way.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

TeufelHog

I brought it up in the game thread.  Think he would be an excellent D1 men's basketball head coach.  Not a doubt in my mind!

hogwild6700

For what it's worth he has been an assistant for Men's CBB at Kentucky, UALR, and OK ST to name a few.

PorkRinds

His women's team has plenty of issues and some of them are reportedly his own making.  I'll pass.

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 21, 2016, 11:12:45 pm
His women's team has plenty of issues and some of them are reportedly his own making.  I'll pass.
Details?

Hog1952

Jimmy is a very good coach already. His coaching DNA comes from Eddie Sutton.

I think he would be a great choice for the men's future opening.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hog1952 on January 21, 2016, 11:32:19 pm
Jimmy is a very good coach already. His coaching DNA comes from Eddie Sutton.

I think he would be a great choice for the men's future opening.

Loss to Kentucky and the coach gets replace. It's a sad day on Jumpball

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 21, 2016, 11:36:50 pm

I sad.   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Letsroll1200

PorkRinds

Quote from: Karma on January 21, 2016, 11:15:32 pm
Details?

Read the Women's sports forum.  There's plenty in there unless it's all been cleaned up.  Evidently his public and private personas aren't compatible.   

hogwild6700

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2016, 08:40:26 am
Read the Women's sports forum.  There's plenty in there unless it's all been cleaned up.  Evidently his public and private personas aren't compatible.   

Come on man-don't bring it up at all if you aren't going to put it out there.

Dwight_K_Shrute

JD is fine where he is at.  Still has a lot of growing to do as a coach.  Give him 4 or more years and see where he is at before bringing up such brilliant ideas.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PonderinHog

mbgrulz

CJD would have to change a lot to be compatible with the men IMO. He is so "my way or the highway" and unwilling to bend that I wonder if it would work with the type of guys who are generally good CBB players. You have to be able to manage some renegades sometimes if you want to win. Could JD handle a kid like Todd Day or Corey Beck, or would he run the off? The stories I've heard make it seem like the players dislike him.

All that said, we'd better hang on to CMA...He has his faults, but so would anybody else we bring in. CMA is a very good coach and puts a good product on the floor. Talent will come and go, and I wish it'd come more than go, but I don't want to can a good coach the moment we have a down year. Besides, if this is a "down" year, that's good enough for me. I've had a lot of fun watching this team.

PonderinHog

Has he been punched by one of his players yet ???

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 22, 2016, 01:19:28 pm
Has he been punched by one of his players yet ???

Ha ha, who's this a reference to?

razorsharp94

Am I mistaken that the women's team is 9-10 and even though they do have some very nice wins lately they also have some horrible losses including a 52 point beat down?  Yet we are ready to fire the coach that followed Pelphrey and is averaging 20 wins per year.  hmm makes sense.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: razorsharp94 on January 22, 2016, 01:32:40 pm
Am I mistaken that the women's team is 9-10 and even though they do have some very nice wins lately they also have some horrible losses including a 52 point beat down?  Yet we are ready to fire the coach that followed Pelphrey and is averaging 20 wins per year.  hmm makes sense.

Such a sycophant!

The other thing to consider is that the University probably doesn't want to make it look to women coaches and players that their program is a stepping stone to the men's.   Seems like you'd be flirting with a Title IX thing. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 22, 2016, 01:32:00 pm
Ha ha, who's this a reference to?
Pel's second season, IIRC.  Highly rated recruit, never played a game.  Can't remember his name.

code red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 21, 2016, 11:36:50 pm
We didn't even compete?? I bet UK got dang near every rebound and lose ball the first half.  And Moses didn't play for most of it.....the were switching in that zone and had a hand in the face of every shooter?  I don't get that game plan.  Nope.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

fieldturf

Jimmy Dykes sometimes reminds me of Coach K.  He's fiery, strict on discipline and a relentless recruiter.  I would love for Jimmy to be our  coach, because he would put people in the seats and make basketball exciting again.  I mean John Pelphrey  got fired for not putting people in the seats with boring basketball.  Has the AD taken a look at the attendance lately?  They need to cover the upper deck!!  Maybe someday Jeff Long will figure it out I just hope it doesn't take 5 more years.

Mr. Porkleone

Man you people will be happy to be mediocre forever. Dykes is not a D1mens coach. Mike is best Mid level coach. Razorback BB is DEAD

ICEman

Quote from: fieldturf on January 23, 2016, 04:03:35 pm
I would love for Jimmy to be our  coach, because he would put people in the seats and make basketball exciting again.  I mean John Pelphrey  got fired for not putting people in the seats with boring basketball.  Has the AD taken a look at the attendance lately?  They need to cover the upper deck!!
How is the attendance of the Dyke led Lady Razorbacks?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

hoglady

Dykes is still a huge ?? with the women's program.
He's had issues with a lot of players and more than 1 have left the program over it.
He's got plenty to prove with the job he has.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hog.goblin

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 21, 2016, 11:12:45 pm

very weak

But I'll pass too at this point in his career

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogwild6700 on January 21, 2016, 10:43:41 pm
In no way is this meant to be a "Fire Mike Anderson" thread. I like Mike and hope he has success before his time expires in Fayetteville. With that being said...

Would it surprise anyone if Jimmy Dykes was next in line to replace CMA? He is really making some headway with the Women's team. He can recruit. He's a former Hog.

Arkansas is going to have to get an up and comer in the coaching market or someone with some baggage that many schools don't want. That is how we have consistent success. We were lucky to even get Mike. I think Jimmy D is going to be a hot name in the coaching circles in a few years. That will be right around the time that Mike is sent out to pasture.

Again, I love Mike. Not trying to call for his head. But I am surprised that I haven't seen this topic brought up. It seems like I remember some goons on here bringing his name up for the AD position before Long was hired. But that's about it.

I'm curious to know what everyone's thoughts are on this.

I one word.  NO.  No way do you promote a ladies coach unless maybe after 10 years of success to be the men's coach.   With 2+ million to throw around we can find a great coach out there.  Not an unproven coach but a great proven coach.  If we can get CBB from Wisconsin for football we can find a proven major level coach for our bb team.   We can find a better proven Coach who is both a great recruiter and coach.  Him and his staff will get us better talent and give us longer sustained success if we Long does this thing right.

hogwild6700

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 23, 2016, 07:36:58 pm
I one word.  NO.  No way do you promote a ladies coach unless maybe after 10 years of success to be the men's coach.   With 2+ million to throw around we can find a great coach out there.  Not an unproven coach but a great proven coach.  If we can get CBB from Wisconsin for football we can find a proven major level coach for our bb team.   We can find a better proven Coach who is both a great recruiter and coach.  Him and his staff will get us better talent and give us longer sustained success if we Long does this thing right.

Can we? Then why didn't we? Why did we have to settle for an up and comer (and that's being nice) in Heath and Pelphrey? If the position we are in is so great-then why did Dana Altman leave after one day?

Most of you have totally misread my original post and question. I am asking if anyone would be surprised by the move after Mike is done here. Again "done" does not have to mean next year. Personally, I actually think it happens. I could see us going that route. Not sure if it would be the right move. But I do know this: Dykes has brought interest to WBB to the highest it's been in a very long time. The guy can recruit. And he without a doubt knows and understands the game. He spent multiple years as an assistant for two high caliber programs. That's a hell of a lot more than what Pelphrey and Heath can say.

hoglady

Quote from: hogwild6700 on January 23, 2016, 11:11:34 pm
Can we? Then why didn't we? Why did we have to settle for an up and comer (and that's being nice) in Heath and Pelphrey? If the position we are in is so great-then why did Dana Altman leave after one day?

Most of you have totally misread my original post and question. I am asking if anyone would be surprised by the move after Mike is done here. Again "done" does not have to mean next year. Personally, I actually think it happens. I could see us going that route. Not sure if it would be the right move. But I do know this: Dykes has brought interest to WBB to the highest it's been in a very long time. The guy can recruit. And he without a doubt knows and understands the game. He spent multiple years as an assistant for two high caliber programs. That's a hell of a lot more than what Pelphrey and Heath can say.

I would be SHOCKED.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on January 23, 2016, 05:37:30 pm
Dykes is still a huge ?? with the women's program.
He's had issues with a lot of players and more than 1 have left the program over it.
He's got plenty to prove with the job he has.

Yes there are issues and question marks. However 99.9% of new coaches lose at least one player from the previous coaches when they take over for whatever reasons in all sports for the most part. Having players have issues also happens and is expected up to a point but not in large numbers. However losing a large number does throw up a red flag unless it is determined that should or needs/needed to happen. But there needs to be evidence of that need.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Sueie

we lost 2 off of last years team.  ONE of them played some. The other one was DEAD WEIGHT.  Not a huge loss.  For someone that thinks there is trouble in the womens basketball camp.  If there is, then they sure do hide it during the games.  But REGARDLESS just WIN.

The Boar War

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 22, 2016, 01:42:43 pm
Pel's second season, IIRC.  Highly rated recruit, never played a game.  Can't remember his name.

Montrell McDonald?

hawginbigd1

Well Jimmy D isn't infallible either, his team up 3 today with 15 seconds left and they manage to give up a wide open 3 to tie the game and send into OT! You absolutely do not let them shoot a 3, you foul if nothing else! It was out of a TO also, not like it was just a mistake in the flow of the game! It looked overall eerily similar to the men's loss yesterday!

ShadowHawg

Shouldn't you have to have a winning record to considered the next in line to be men's coach?

His team just played a game where they had 28 turnovers.

Dykes has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go to prove himself yet.