Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How would the haters coach differently?

Started by jdunhog, January 21, 2016, 09:28:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 22, 2016, 10:26:23 am
Letsroll, this we agree with. Fans of Duke wouldn't be praising a year where the biggest win of the season came over Wofford. Then the fans point out their win tital and give the man in charge a pass because of the previous year.  8)

Duke did not go 2-14 in conference in 2009. Losing at home to teams like Morgan State! Morgan State in 2008! The program was bad when MA arrived. I'm a MA fan that wanted him to coach the Razorbacks. He will get things done at Arkansas. 27 wins last season proves that.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Kevin on January 22, 2016, 10:28:57 am
I remember those losses, and those coaches were fired

They should have been fired. On top of that you win 2 games in conference after suffering losses to teams that shouldn't beat UAPB. We forget how sick this program was.

Arkansas should have been known as transfer U because under Pelphrey guys didn't stay in the program. MA is fighting a cancer that many people have forgotten.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 10:34:58 am
Duke did not go 2-14 in conference in 2009. Losing at home to teams like Morgan State! Morgan State in 2008! The program was bad when MA arrived. I'm a MA fan that wanted him to coach the Razorbacks. He will get things done at Arkansas. 27 wins last season proves that.

How does the program being bad when he arrived have anything to do with the performance this season? I understand giving him a pass for years 1 and 2, maybe even 3 (although he choked away an NCAA birth that season), but why year 5?

He gave us our best season in 20 years, but following it up with the last ranked recruiting class in the SEC, losing a promising 6'5" guard to transfer, gambled on a 4-star PF with no backup plan, and ultimately a season where even making the NIT looks unlikely.

hogsanity

. I'm a MA fan

and that right there is the problem. Some of you are fans of a coach, and wanted him here because he was an assistant during the glory years. NOTHING he did at UAB or Mizzu was anyting special that is not done by dozens of coaches every 5 years. Had the UA hired that resume, without the name Mike Anderson attached, you guys would have been screaming about how they settled for a mediocre coach that had a poor recruiting rep to boot.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

If this was year 1,2, or 3, it would be understandable, not year 5
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2016, 10:38:23 am
How does the program being bad when he arrived have anything to do with the performance this season? I understand giving him a pass for years 1 and 2, maybe even 3 (although he choked away an NCAA birth that season), but why year 5?

He gave us our best season in 20 years, but following it up with the last ranked recruiting class in the SEC, losing a promising 6'5" guard to transfer, gambled on a 4-star PF with no backup plan, and ultimately a season where even making the NIT looks unlikely.

Portis gave us our best season in 20 years. Think of the times last season when they were struggling against middle of the pack teams and he would just will them to win. At least 5 times last year Portis won the game when no one else was doing anything. And Portis came to play for the university and state pride, he was coming no matter who the coach was.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 10:39:02 am
and that right there is the problem. Some of you are fans of a coach, and wanted him here because he was an assistant during the glory years. NOTHING he did at UAB or Mizzu was anyting special that is not done by dozens of coaches every 5 years. Had the UA hired that resume, without the name Mike Anderson attached, you guys would have been screaming about how they settled for a mediocre coach that had a poor recruiting rep to boot.

While I agree with you on a lot of things, I disagree with you about the resume.

In 9 years at UAB and Mizzou:
-1 Elite 8
-1 Sweet 16
-6 NCAA Tournament Appearances
-1 NIT Appearance
-Rebuilt 2 programs from non-tournamenet, losing record teams to NCAA teams annually.

That was a good enough resume to hire here.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 10:40:54 am
Portis gave us our best season in 20 years. Think of the times last season when they were struggling against middle of the pack teams and he would just will them to win. At least 5 times last year Portis won the game when no one else was doing anything. And Portis came to play for the university and state pride, he was coming no matter who the coach was.

Programs all over the country get in state kids. Mike should get as much credit for getting and developing Portis as he gets blame for losing Goodwin, Allen, Curry, and Monk.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 10:39:02 am

What is the condition of UAB and Mizzou basketball now? I'll wait!!! What Mike did at those programs was amazing. Mizzou still hasn't recovered.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 09:52:27 am
Yes, because coach k and mike are on the same level, good grief.

Just to be clear- no one is comparing MA to Coach K or Duke. Obviously.  I thought that was sarcastic enough to be clear.   

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2016, 10:45:51 am
Programs all over the country get in state kids. Mike should get as much credit for getting and developing Portis as he gets blame for losing Goodwin, Allen, Curry, and Monk.

That Willis guy from Kentucky that stretch the defense was pretty good last night.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2016, 10:44:16 am
While I agree with you on a lot of things, I disagree with you about the resume.

-1 Elite 8
-1 Sweet 16
-1 NIT Appearance
-Rebuilt 2 programs from non-tournamenet, losing record teams to NCAA teams annually.

And there were probably 2 or 3 dozen of those resumes, or better, out there but the only one the hogs looked at was Mike.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 10:47:09 am
What is the condition of UAB and Mizzou basketball now? I'll wait!!! What Mike did at those programs was amazing. Mizzou still hasn't recovered.

Mizzou was a mess before MA got there (Remember Quinn Snyder) and Frank Haith has something to do with the condition they are in today.  No way you can lay all that on Mike.

The_Iceman

Mike isn't to blame for Mizzou.

hogsanity

Mizzu is a tire fire because of bad hires, UAB made the 3rd round of the NCAAt last year and are currently 16-3 and leading conf usa.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Kevin on January 22, 2016, 10:47:11 am
Uab 16-3

Two tournament appearances since MA left the program. MA was in the tournament 3 of his 4 years at the school. See what I mean? His resume still stands on its own merit. Oregon wanted to hire Anderson as well as Georgia.  I tell you one thing if Arkansas make a mistake and fire Anderson he will not be unemployed for long.

Kevin

So he can get uab to the tournament 3 out of 4 years, but he can only get the hogs there 1 out of 5.

I know the excuses, you don't need to list them again

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 10:55:23 am
Two tournament appearances since MA left the program. MA was in the tournament 3 of his 4 years at the school. See what I mean? His resume still stands on its own merit. Oregon wanted to hire Anderson as well as Georgia.  I tell you one thing if Arkansas make a mistake and fire Anderson he will not be unemployed for long.

Well, since Mikes fans think the NIT is acceptable, then we need to count the NIT appearances by UAB. This is the 10th season at UAB since Mike left, and assuming at 16-3 they make at least the nit UAB will have made the posts season is 6 of the 10 years since he left.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 11:01:01 am
Well, since Mikes fans think the NIT is acceptable, then we need to count the NIT appearances by UAB. This is the 10th season at UAB since Mike left, and assuming at 16-3 they make at least the nit UAB will have made the posts season is 6 of the 10 years since he left.

LOL

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 10:40:54 am

HogSanity, speaking of last year also I believe Arkansas was involved in 13 or more games where the score was decided by 5 points or less. That's heavily because of Portis and Qualls.  ;D

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 22, 2016, 11:07:16 am
HogSanity, speaking of last year also I believe Arkansas was involved in 13 or more games where the score was decided by 5 points or less. That's heavily because of Portis and Qualls.  ;D

Damn if you do damn if you don't. You loss close games they say you can't win them and if you win they say becaus Portus and Qualls. Tell me about how they performed on the road last season?

The_Iceman

Even more that the 2015 offseason, where Mike really didn't perform well, the biggest downfall of Mike's tenure at Arkansas was the ending of the 2013-2014 season.

Hogsfan1981

I did not read the thread just the title.

I am no hater.

However, I would only ask Mike to do one thing. Shake up his staff. His loyalty to his staff is great but the recruiting is more important.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2016, 11:32:36 am
Even more that the 2015 offseason, where Mike really didn't perform well, the biggest downfall of Mike's tenure at Arkansas was the ending of the 2013-2014 season.
You might be spot on here, a good finish could have created a buzz around the program that would have prevented this past offseason from being as poor as it was.

As for everybody talking about CMA's coaching ability in regards to the sidelines and huddles, MOST coaches do very little in the way of actual X's and O's on the sideline with the exception of special situational things. Once the tip happens, the hay is in the barn for that type of coaching. That happens on the practice floor and in the film room.

majp51

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2016, 10:44:16 am

-1 Elite 8
-1 Sweet 16
-1 NIT Appearance

Hear, Hear!! Someone can think that CMA was a reasonable decision to hire 5 years ago and also think that there are clear signs of concern now.

Just because you are critical, or concerned about the state of the Basketball team now doesn't mean you've always been that way.

I won't lie, I had other coaches I thought were a much better choice, because ether had resumes equal or near equal and would be a clean break from divineness of the end of the Richardson ERA, but it wasn't like I thought CMA was a bad choice at all. My only concern back then was the old saw about a prophet going back to his home town.

Sadly the internet has devolved into the presumption of "Huggers" or "Haters" where for most of us it's a lot more complicated than that.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 22, 2016, 11:43:09 am
You might be spot on here, a good finish could have created a buzz around the program that would have prevented this past offseason from being as poor as it was.

As for everybody talking about CMA's coaching ability in regards to the sidelines and huddles, MOST coaches do very little in the way of actual X's and O's on the sideline with the exception of special situational things. Once the tip happens, the hay is in the barn for that type of coaching. That happens on the practice floor and in the film room.

TOTALLY disagree, with all due respect.  The elite coaches will adjust not just by half, but by possession based on who is hot for their team, and the opposition.  They will counter personnel changes with moves of their own, and make changes preemptively to try to expose weaknesses that become evident during the game. 

My sister-in-law coaches girl's basketball, and she's an ex-collegiate player.  She is in the timeouts sketching up offensive plays to counter how the opposition is defending their pick and roll during the game.  That's 7th graders.   

If you're just "letting it ride," then you're missing out on what coaching is.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

I figure I'll get in one more while this thread is still alive.  The lazy press accomplishes nothing for us.  We didn't get a single turnover from it in the game.  Against a team like KY with fast, excellent ball handling skills, it's pointless.  It just puts us in a position to be scrambling to get the right match ups in man defense, and it's not serving any purpose. 

We don't see the same level of intensity on defense that Nolan somehow got from his players.  Think about it...Mike changed it from "40 minutes of hell," to "fastest 40 minutes."  That right there sends a message that it's a little less mean and intimidating, and it certainly lives up to its watered down name. 

Pass comes in...trap.  One pass ahead...now it's 4 on three in their favor IMMEDIATELY.  If you're going to press, you have to be committed and we do it half heartedly. 

Again, I'm not a hater.  I have nothing against MA.  I hope he succeeds here, but at some point...the results have to be the determining factor.  If the UA is happy with a mediocre product that succeeds more than average every few seasons, and averages a little over .500, then I guess he'll be here indefinitely.  But...we could move back into Barnhill for the crowds that will be there for anything but the biggest games.  I hope he gets a good player mix the next few seasons, and we're competing on a national level, and all is well.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

latrops

What does 2008 or 2009 have to do with when MA arrived?  MA came in after an 18-14 (7-9) 2010/2011 season.  In fact, Pel finished 7-9 in conference in each of his last two seasons.  He also had a well regarded recruiting class coming in.  The program certainly wasn't in great shape, especially as it recovered from a disasterous class from an APR perspective which resulted in the loss of a scholarship.  However, it wasn't the dumpster fire as some insist either.  It was just a middle of the pack SEC program at the time.  Pel did have a dumpster fire season when we went 2-14 in conference, but that was three years before Anderson got here.   

SleepyJ

Mike has 1 losing season and now he needs a bunch of idiots to teach him how to coach... Half of u dummies are at work slacking off on your REAL job... This is comical... Dumbest fan base in the country HANDS DOWN!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: latrops on January 22, 2016, 12:17:53 pm
What does 2008 or 2009 have to do with when MA arrived?  MA came in after an 18-14 (7-9) 2010/2011 season.  In fact, Pel finished 7-9 in conference in each of his last two seasons.  He also had a well regarded recruiting class coming in.  The program certainly wasn't in great shape, especially as it recovered from a disasterous class from an APR perspective which resulted in the loss of a scholarship.  However, it wasn't the dumpster fire as some insist either.  It was just a middle of the pack SEC program at the time.  Pel did have a dumpster fire season when we went 2-14 in conference, but that was three years before Anderson got here.
Pel's last season the OOC schedule was basically nothing but cupcakes, to try to salvage his career at Arkansas.  It still didn't work.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 22, 2016, 11:43:09 am

Exactly. This about going into last season coming off of a tournament appearance (even if we didn't win a game). We would have been a clear front running team all season with huge momentum and buzz nationally. We would have been able to sell a back-to-back tournament team in recruiting which would have helped with K.Allen and Monk, and others across the country. That late season collapse cost us a lot of momentum.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: latrops on January 22, 2016, 12:17:53 pm

7-9 is considered middle of the pack. He only had one winning season in conference during his 4 years. It was a dumpster fire..

9-7
2-14
7-9
7-9

That's bad!!!! It just proves the decline of the program.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 12:30:32 pm
7-9 is considered middle of the pack. He only had one winning season in conference during his 4 years. It was a dumpster fire..

9-7
2-14
7-9
7-9

But how does that have any impact in year 5 of Mike's tenure? Years 1 and 2 for sure, maybe 3, but 5?

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2016, 12:27:04 pm
Exactly. This about going into last season coming off of a tournament appearance (even if we didn't win a game). We would have been a clear front running team all season with huge momentum and buzz nationally. We would have been able to sell a back-to-back tournament team in recruiting which would have helped with K.Allen and Monk, and others across the country. That late season collapse cost us a lot of momentum.
We won a NIT game year before last. 

latrops

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 12:30:32 pm

9-7
2-14
7-9
7-9

2-14 was bad.  7-9 is a game off .500, so middle of the pack.  Probably middle of the pack this year, too...at least I hope it's not worse than 7-9 (8-10 since we play 18 in conference now). 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 22, 2016, 12:00:13 pm
TOTALLY disagree, with all due respect.  The elite coaches will adjust not just by half, but by possession based on who is hot for their team, and the opposition.  They will counter personnel changes with moves of their own, and make changes preemptively to try to expose weaknesses that become evident during the game. 

My sister-in-law coaches girl's basketball, and she's an ex-collegiate player.  She is in the timeouts sketching up offensive plays to counter how the opposition is defending their pick and roll during the game.  That's 7th graders.   

If you're just "letting it ride," then you're missing out on what coaching is.   
7th graders of course, at high levels no, There is coaching that happens there, but it is mostly talking about effort and tidbits like make 2 go left and such at that level. There are coaches that breakout the white board at every TO, but they are in the minority. There is also coaching that gets done individually with players on the bench, but this is mostly handled by the assistants.

BRHogfan

Quote from: naturalbornpigger on January 21, 2016, 10:30:31 pm
I'm not a hater, but the truth is that Mike is not an upper level coach.  The game where he was "mic'd up" showed this. Their was no coaching.  There is a big difference in encouraging and coaching.  Your mom can encourage - she probably can't coach.

Here is what I'd do differently.

Our half court offense against a man defense is awful.  We depend on athletes who can independently shoot and/or penetrate to score.  There is no "team" offense - it is all individuals.  This works when you have Qualls or Portis.  Teach and require the team to set good picks and execute an offense against a man defense to get shooters like Hannahs and Bell good looks.  Also, an inside-out model is more effective than the perimeter game we get stuck in.  Our bigs must learn to post up with backs to the basket.

And of course, boxing out on the boards would be nice...

Then, you win.  Which helps you recruit.  Which helps you win.
Maybe you only watched the Kentucky game...

I think in actuality we run a really high quality half court offense against both the zone and the man defenses.  Arkansas teams used to have a particular problem against zone defenses, but thanks to superior ball movement, we have really improved on a lot of those weaknesses this season, but your comment was about man defense. 

Arkansas expects to be able to drive or pass into the lane, and draw a double team and hit a cutting man at the perimeter or coming into the paint from there. They do ask Kingsley to go one on one against a man on the block and even against double teams to score.  You typically see the 1 through 4 players getting the ball at the top of the key and passing to a wing player.  The wing player is on the perimeter and looks for the man on the block or at the free throw line.  If that's not open, they will take a few dribbles and try to get a reset at the top of the key.  This changes typically if Durham gets the ball at the top of the key, because he will dribble drive and pass to an open man.  Hannahs works well at the top of the key at dribble driving and generating a foul or some time of shot.  Bell works best from the wing where he can hit that baseline runner.

The issue against Kentucky came as they extended the location where Arkansas was catching the ball on the wing, and doing a good job of denying entry passes.  Additionally, there were almost no double teams by Kentucky players which left little room to operate for cutters.  This left Arkansas with not as many good inside out opportunities for open threes.  As Arkansas found some offensive success in the 2nd half, it primarily came from Hannahs ball handling and mid range shooting skills, and Durham's vision finding cutters. 

la20688

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2016, 10:16:55 am
Coach K at Duke:
13 Tournament Championships
12 Conference Championships
5 NCAA Championships
12 Total Final Fours

Coach Anderson at Arkansas:
1 NCAA Tournament appearance in 5 years.
1 NCAA Tournament win.

I think Coach K has earned a season to rebuild his roster.
He was also 85-65 his first 5 seasons with Duke. I wonder what would've been said about him on the net, if it was around back then.

Hoggish1

Quote from: S.A.D.C on January 22, 2016, 08:48:36 am
I don't say this in defense of MA- he should be farther along here at this point.  BUT- some of you who live in the days of Eddie and Nolan and always bring up that era need to recognize that college basketball, specifically recruiting, has changed a LOT in the last 20 years. 

And so have the rules that the officials officiate by. 

Now, don't get me started on why the officials in the SEC have a woody for teams not named Arkansas, especially teams that wear all blue on the road...

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 11:13:57 am
Damn if you do damn if you don't. You loss close games they say you can't win them and if you win they say because Portus and Qualls. Tell me about how they performed on the road last season?

Last seasons the Hogs were a good team, with a great player, in Portis, and I think the leagues most exciting player in Qualls. That also highlights the recruiting problems. In 5 years those tow are, by far, the best players he has signed.

BRHogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 01:08:42 pm
Last seasons the Hogs were a good team, with a great player, in Portis, and I think the leagues most exciting player in Qualls. That also highlights the recruiting problems. In 5 years those tow are, by far, the best players he has signed.

Obviously, that's a different story if he gets Kapita, Monk, and Goodwin, but you can't blame players not being enamored with Arkansas on the guy that's been there for just a few years.  These kids weren't even alive when Arkansas was any good.  By the time they cared about college basketball, Arkansas's best teams were lucky to make the NCAA tournament with Ronnie Brewer on the team. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: la20688 on January 22, 2016, 01:05:01 pm
He was also 85-65 his first 5 seasons with Duke. I wonder what would've been said about him on the net, if it was around back then.

As a Duke fan second to being a Hogs fans, I tried staying out of this.  But when the earlier poster reached back into Coach K's Army coaching record to try and make some point for Coach A it made it very hard.

The NCAAT didn't expand to 64 teams until 1985 - Coach K's 5th at Duke. 

He made the tournament in 84 and 85 - his 4th and 5th seasons.

What they would have noticed, if anyone was paying attention to Duke at the time which many weren't considering they were in a rebuild, would have been the recruiting and specifically the 1982 recruiting class - Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson and Bilas.  They were the Delph/Brewer or Todd/Lee/O for Duke basketball.  The foundation.  In his 6th season at Duke and 11th as a head coach, Coach K and this group reached the F4 and the CG.  He was 39 years old when he made his first F4.  What people were noticing in 84, 85 and 86 was the rebuild of a once F4 capable program with a young coach just getting started.  In his first 14 seasons as a head coach, 3 F4's in 6 NCAAT's and 2 NIT trips. 

This is so irrelevant to our current situation. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

SleepyJ

coach k was coaching 20 years before mike became a head coach... It took coach k 10 years to make the NCAA tournament... It took him four years to get duke in the ncaa tournament... Mikes has actually had MORE success in his first 5 years at Arkansas than coach k did at duke... Now can we have a little more patience and a lot less stupid comments... Mike Anderson is a top notch coach... Know need to compare him to the best coach in college basketball...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: SleepyJ on January 22, 2016, 01:31:39 pm
coach k was coaching 20 years before mike became a head coach... It took coach k 10 years to make the NCAA tournament... It took him four years to get duke in the ncaa tournament... Mikes has actually had MORE success in his first 5 years at Arkansas than coach k did at duke... Now can we have a little more patience and a lot less stupid comments... Mike Anderson is a top notch coach... Know need to compare him to the best coach in college basketball...

No.

You are comparing the two which is unfair to Coach A as it would be most any coach. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BRHogfan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2016, 01:25:44 pm

I think the point the original poster was trying to make, was that after 5 years, making a decision to call for Coach K's head would've been a tremendously bad decision when viewed in hindsight.   

It is irrelevant in the fact that players don't stick around like they used to. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 22, 2016, 01:25:44 pm
As a Duke fan second to being a Hogs fans, I tried staying out of this.  But when the earlier poster reached back into Coach K's Army coaching record to try and make some point for Coach A it made it very hard.

The NCAAT didn't expand to 64 teams until 1985 - Coach K's 5th at Duke. 

He made the tournament in 84 and 85 - his 4th and 5th seasons.

What they would have noticed, if anyone was paying attention to Duke at the time which many weren't considering they were in a rebuild, would have been the recruiting and specifically the 1982 recruiting class - Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson and Bilas.  They were the Delph/Brewer or Todd/Lee/O for Duke basketball.  The foundation.  In his 6th season at Duke and 11th as a head coach, Coach K and this group reached the F4 and the CG.  He was 39 years old when he made his first F4.  What people were noticing in 84, 85 and 86 was the rebuild of a once F4 capable program with a young coach just getting started.  In his first 14 seasons as a head coach, 3 F4's in 6 NCAAT's and 2 NIT trips. 

Also, in the entire history of Duke basketball they had only been to the NCAAT 8 times. Mike went to the NCAA more than that as Nolan's assistant.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 22, 2016, 01:38:46 pm
I think the point the original poster was trying to make, was that after 5 years, making a decision to call for Coach K's head would've been a tremendously bad decision when viewed in hindsight.   

It is irrelevant in the fact that players don't stick around like they used to.

The point was very stupid and ignorant then.  Heading into season 6, Duke had a legendary college backcourt and All ACC/Amer level forwards.  The 82 class is the highest scoring class in NCAA history.  Where will be heading into season 6?  This comparison is so far beyond stupid it is unfair to our coach, players and program.  Reach for another comparison.

Yes, the eras are very different which makes the comparison more irrelevant if that is possible. 

wheelspigharvey

Save the Nutt comparisons for when he Mustains a kid, we hear about how he treats some of his stars better than others for mysterious reasons, or he completely wrecks the next program he lands at.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 01:42:47 pm
Also, in the entire history of Duke basketball they had only been to the NCAAT 8 times. Mike went to the NCAA more than that as Nolan's assistant.

And made the F4 in 4 of those 8.  When we go back into those eras, we know we have to remember what the NCAAT was and who made it as in conf champs only till the mid 70's.