Started by jdunhog, January 21, 2016, 09:28:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunhog

Wild Bill Hog

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jdunhog on January 21, 2016, 09:28:35 pm
give it your best shot!
Why go there?

I would.........have more talent on my roster!

cypress rock

I am not a hater and like coach MA but he has to stand up for his team. I don't care if he gets thrown out.

BigSexyHog

I would allow for more nap time and free lollipops for made FT's at the end of practice.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

userpick

I'd probably try recruiting. Just to see if that helps

RussVegas Hawg

Hire better assistants that could help coach or that can recruit. We have neither.

urkillnmesmalls

give it your best shot!

It was blatantly obvious that KY was quicker than we were at virtually every position, and that's very difficult to overcome.  While DH and AB can shoot, they aren't going to scorch the court with their defensive prowess, so you have to make some concessions with the talent we possess.  I get that...we can't match their talent.  Unfortunately tonight, we also couldn't match their effort.  We got our dobbers down when the refs missed some calls, and that can't happen.   

Buuuuut, there is one thing that drives me crazy.  Getting beat off the dribble baseline side.  I don't care what you have to do to shade the player to the middle of the court, but you cannot constantly get beat baseline side.  You have no chance for help, and if it does come it's going to break down any chance for the rebound.  I understand that it's going to happen sometimes when a quicker players gets a step, but it shouldn't happen at nearly the frequency that it does IMO.  The first time I let a player do that to me in a game I was scolded.  The second time, I got to watch from the bench to see if someone else could prevent it from happening.

Maybe it's something that is part of his system and there's a reason for disregarding that, but it's a personal thing that just drives me NUTS.     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Bowfishinghogfan

naturalbornpigger

I'm not a hater, but the truth is that Mike is not an upper level coach.  The game where he was "mic'd up" showed this. Their was no coaching.  There is a big difference in encouraging and coaching.  Your mom can encourage - she probably can't coach.

Here is what I'd do differently.

Our half court offense against a man defense is awful.  We depend on athletes who can independently shoot and/or penetrate to score.  There is no "team" offense - it is all individuals.  This works when you have Qualls or Portis.  Teach and require the team to set good picks and execute an offense against a man defense to get shooters like Hannahs and Bell good looks.  Also, an inside-out model is more effective than the perimeter game we get stuck in.  Our bigs must learn to post up with backs to the basket.

And of course, boxing out on the boards would be nice...

Then, you win.  Which helps you recruit.  Which helps you win. 

3kgthog

Mike needs better talent to overcome his coaching. He'll never recruit at that level, so one NCAAT every 4-5 seasons is the absolute best we're going to get.

I wanted Mike to be the guy to bring us back, but he just doesn't have it. My love of the program goes deeper than the love of a coach that connects me to my favorite childhood memories. Win at a level Eddie and Nolan proved can be achieved here or go away.

Quote from: naturalbornpigger on January 21, 2016, 10:30:31 pm
I'm not a hater, but the truth is that Mike is not an upper level coach.  The game where he was "mic'd up" showed this. Their was no coaching.  There is a big difference in encouraging and coaching.  Your mom can encourage - she probably can't coach.

I think that was the Vandy game. I know we won, but the mic'd up segments were not favorable for MA.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: naturalbornpigger on January 21, 2016, 10:30:31 pm

Here is what I'd do differently.

Our half court offense against a man defense is awful.  We depend on athletes who can independently shoot and/or penetrate to score.  There is no "team" offense - it is all individuals.  This works when you have Qualls or Portis.  Teach and require the team to set good picks and execute an offense against a man defense to get shooters like Hannahs and Bell good looks.  Also, an inside-out model is more effective than the perimeter game we get stuck in.  Our bigs must learn to post up with backs to the basket.

If you watch when coaches are Mic up they never show coaches in game strategies. They never show that. So to say he was not coaching is ridiculous.

The mic up only shows what is agreeded upon. Just watch it sometimes.

Wild Bill Hog

Too many times the bear doesn't need any help.

pigmailyen

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 21, 2016, 11:07:07 pm
Mike needs better talent to overcome his coaching. He'll never recruit at that level, so one NCAAT every 4-5 seasons is the absolute best we're going to get.

I wanted Mike to be the guy to bring us back, but he just doesn't have it. My love of the program goes deeper than the love of a coach that connects me to my favorite childhood memories. Win at a level Eddie and Nolan proved can be achieved here or go away.

Nailed it.

rude1

First thing you do is recruit a complete team who are able to play the style you are trying to implement. Trying to play up tempo pressing basketball with a collection of slow unathletic guards, one wing player who isn't very good, and an overall lack of talent at most positions is a great recipe for playing .500 basketball........

donkey

I'd get better players by any means necessary.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 21, 2016, 11:07:07 pm

I don't say this in defense of MA- he should be farther along here at this point.  BUT- some of you who live in the days of Eddie and Nolan and always bring up that era need to recognize that college basketball, specifically recruiting, has changed a LOT in the last 20 years. 

majp51

give it your best shot!

Hey, isn't this also called the HDN defense?

Does that mean Arkansas fans have finally realized that CMA is the Basketball equivalent of HDN at football?

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: majp51 on January 22, 2016, 08:50:32 am
Hey, isn't this also called the HDN defense?

Does that mean Arkansas fans have finally realized that CMA is the Basketball equivalent of HDN at football?

Continuing to say that Mike is the bb equivalent of HDN just won't make it true.  Sorry.

hogsanity

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 22, 2016, 08:51:58 am
Continuing to say that Mike is the bb equivalent of HDN just won't make it true.  Sorry.

the results on the court and in recruiting, and the defense offered by his backers make it true. It really does not have to be said.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Letsroll1200

As bad as many are making this loss to be Arkansas is still in the middle of the pack in the SEC. I'm hoping this team focus on the Bulldogs. Beat the Bulldogs on Saturday and you are still in good postion.

Kentucky played great defense and their bugs made plays. MA will continue to lead this program and pull off some solid wins this season. With the exception of Texas A&M this team has played well on the road.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 08:59:03 am
the results on the court and in recruiting, and the defense offered by his backers make it true. It really does not have to be said.

MA has performed well at other programs. I don't see Houston Nutt as MA at all. Keep watching this team is going to put you in hiding again. Welcome back

The_Iceman

In 2014, we brought in the 8th ranked recruiting class in the SEC (remove Babb and its 10th, but roster departures from other teams may affect their ranking as well and I don't have time for that).

In 2015, we brought in the LAST ranked recruiting class in the SEC.

That is where you can start to coach this team differently.

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 09:05:49 am
MA has performed well at other programs. I don't see Houston Nutt as MA at all. Keep watching this team is going to put you in hiding again. Welcome back

umm, I have not been hiding anywhere. Their patterns here are identical, get a special instate kid and ride him as long as he can. Find a diamond outside the state every now and then. Rah rah them up into a upset win now and then, but lose to teams they should beat. Have a really good year and parlay it into a pass for the next seasons disaster.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

S.A.D.C

give it your best shot!

Not a hater but just for fun- on the "how would I coach differently" question:
I would modify the Fastest 40 philosophy to use more advanced statistics.  We are not going to out-athlete the Kentucky's of the world- at least not on a consistent basis.  This team has touched on this at times this year- the 3 ball is the great equalizer in Basketball.  I would build a team around that.   

dhizzle

I'm not a hater, but I'll take a swing. First I would maybe keep coach Watkins but the others would have to go. Next i wouldn't press when it's not working to help the legs of the players. Find a way to get Bell and Hannahs some open looks for the three ball  because that is the only way we are gonna win.

Jackrabbit Hog

I would call more timeouts so I would have more opportunities to not draw up plays for us to run.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 09:09:51 am
umm, I have not been hiding anywhere. Their patterns here are identical, get a special instate kid and ride him as long as he can. Find a diamond outside the state every now and then. Rah rah them up into a upset win now and then, but lose to teams they should beat. Have a really good year and parlay it into a pass for the next seasons disaster.

Would you call this season a disaster?

Our conference losses is to Texas A&M, LSU  and Kentucky. I believe all those teams will finish in the top 4 of the SEC at the end of the year. We just have to find away to beat some of the middle of the pack teams.  That will define our season.   Keep watching.

This team will be better next season because we will have somebody to play the 4 positions and Kingsley will be back. I'm excited about the present and the future.

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 09:28:43 am
Would you call this season a disaster?

Our conference losses is to Texas A&M, LSU  and Kentucky. I believe all those teams will finish in the top 4 of the SEC at the end of the year. We just have to find away to beat some of the middle of the pack teams.  That will define our season.   Keep watching.

This team will be better next season because we will have somebody to play the 4 positions and Kingsley will be back. I'm excited about the present and the future.

Yes, after going 27-9, and being in a coach's 5th year almost certainly not making the ncaat and very possibly not even making the NIT would qualify as a disaster. Losing AT HOME to Akron and Mercer is not exactly confidence boosting either.

majp51

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 22, 2016, 08:51:58 am

I suppose you are right, so far HDN has technically more accomplishments at Arkansas in FB than CMA has in Basketball.

But iif you look at overall patterns, there are some eerie similarities. There were never many if any truly "down" years in the HDN era, but neither were there really any years where you felt you could win it all. Sound Familiar? After doing really well one season or after a string of seasons HDN teams would then go 5-7, not unlike this year.

Recruiting wise it's almost identical. Complete teams are never assembled. Recruiting tends to be lopsided and mostly dependent on the "Doing more with Less" mindset. Which means you go search for "Diamonds in the Rouhg". So you end up Guard Heavy the year you need PF's and C's.

Now you might argue that these are only superficial similarities and that in fact CMA is not HDN, and will show that soon, and that is certainly possible, but the fact of the matter is that the similarities are their.

majp51

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 09:29:33 am
Yes, after going 27-9, and being in a coach's 5th year almost certainly not making the ncaat and very possibly not even making the NIT would qualify as a disaster. Losing AT HOME to Akron and Mercer is not exactly confidence boosting either.

I think the scarier thing is that it appears that three schools that have been reasonably easy wins during the Mike Anderson tenure have gotten serious about Basketball. I'm pointing at Auburn , MSU and Alabama. Shoot CMA has had the luxury of getting MSU twice a season during the Rick Ray years, that was almost like getting 2 free conference Wins every season, and Ben Howland is showing every indication that after this year they will be anything but an easy win.

The Window on being anything other than Mediocre is closing.

The_Iceman

Quote from: majp51 on January 22, 2016, 09:40:26 am
I think the scarier thing is that it appears that three schools that have been reasonably easy wins during the Mike Anderson tenure have gotten serious about Basketball. I'm pointing at Auburn , MSU and Alabama. Shoot CMA has had the luxury of getting MSU twice a season during the Rick Ray years, that was almost like getting 2 free conference Wins every season, and Ben Howland is showing every indication that after this year they will be anything but an easy win.

The Window on being anything other than Mediocre is closing.

Great points.

The recruiting class that is supposed to save this program for the next 2 years is currently ranked 5th in the SEC. Just 5th, behind Kentucky (who took our #1 instate kid), Alabama, Auburn, and Miss State.

Letsroll1200

Akron will be in the NCAA tournament. 14-4 and is currently second in the Mid-American.

This season is not a disaster because they are going to build off this. I'm not worried about Bama, Miss. State or Auburn. We have a solid team but not enough scoring from the front court. We just don't have a 4 man on the roster. Coach Huggins and Anderson missed on Miles.

S.A.D.C

You think this is bad- think of the disaster that Coach K is having this year!  They won the title last year and have lost to 3 unranked teams in a row?  One of them at home?  Will be out of the top 25.  And he is in what, year 36?? 

No one should be "happy" about this year- but calling it a disaster is just silly- at least at this point in the season.  Basketball isn't football.  Ups and downs are more volatile.  Fewer players, ect.   This isn't a vote for MA but some of you are so freaking knee jerk.  If JL and UofA ran their programs the way you wanted we would turn over coaches every three years and never be able to hire anyone. 

hogsanity

Quote from: S.A.D.C on January 22, 2016, 09:48:55 am
You think this is bad- think of the disaster that Coach K is having this year!  They won the title last year and have lost to 3 unranked teams in a row?  One of them at home?  Will be out of the top 25.  And he is in what, year 36?? 

No one should be "happy" about this year- but calling it a disaster is just silly- at least at this point in the season.  Basketball isn't football.  Ups and downs are more volatile.  Fewer players, ect.   This isn't a vote for MA but some of you are so freaking knee jerk.  If JL and UofA ran their programs the way you wanted we would turn over coaches every three years and never be able to hire anyone. 

Yes, because coach k and mike are on the same level, good grief.

I am not calling for anyone to be fired, and do not think 3 years is long enough to judge any coach, but this is year 5 and the team has the same issues it had in year 1. Long stagnant stretches on offense, pathetic perimeter defense, give up way too many 2nd chance points, and even thought it is supposed to be his staple, they do not turn over good teams very often.

You are right basketball is not football. In basketball one or two players can make your team really good, so it should not take nearly as long to turn around a basketball program.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 09:46:50 am
Akron will be in the NCAA tournament. 14-4 and is currently second in the Mid-American.

This season is not a disaster because they are going to build off this. I'm not worried about Bama, Miss. State or Auburn. We have a solid team but not enough scoring from the front court. We just don't have a 4 man on the roster. Coach Huggins and Anderson missed on Miles.

Sorry letsroll, Arkansas isn't suppose to lose at home to Akron or Mercer. Also we should never use Anthlon Bell at the Power Forward position having to post up bigs. 4 guards and 1 big man is not intelligent basketball. Basketball 101 tells you SGs won't be able to box out or defend bigger players such as Porthyress, Lee, Skai and Willis. But at the end of the day, blame the refs, blame the players, blame the coaches, blame Monk, blame the fans. Do all these things. Kentucky is simply a much deeper and a much more talented team.  >:(

latrops

Quote from: rude1 on January 22, 2016, 05:04:53 am
First thing you do is recruit a complete team who are able to play the style you are trying to implement. Trying to play up tempo pressing basketball with a collection of slow unathletic guards, one wing player who isn't very good, and an overall lack of talent at most positions is a great recipe for playing .500 basketball........

Or have the flexibility to adjust your style to fit the personnel.  We actually have a pretty good conventional, slower paced team with shooters (Bell/Hannahs), a good ball handler/distributer at pg in Durham, a quality post player in Kingsley, etc.

To be fair, he has adjusted some, but overall the personnel and style aren't ideally matched, at least for this season.

Kevin

I love how people are scared of being called a hater

"I am not a hater but"

I don't dare what a bunch of message boards posters think.

If being a consistent 30-60 ranked team, is ok, with the occasional breakout year is fine with you, and for the other years, you want to spent all your post on making excuses why it is not the coaches fault, then CMA is your guy and you will be happy with the program

I truly believe this should be a top 20 program, make the ncaa's every year.  Just got to hire the right guy.  I never believed Anderson was the right guy.

Sure hope the juco guys don't take a year to get acclimated to the sec
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogsolo

While it's nice to see the passion of all the so called haters, man you need to take a step back and chill out.

Only experienced college teams with talent will beat these Kentucky hired guns when Cal has them fired up.   Our experienced talent left the program last spring.

I'm tired of hearing how Mike can't coach.  Do you think all those passes to an open cutter or to a big where they can go aren't coached and practiced.   

This team shows an incredible about of coaching and improvement in players.  Please just relax and take a step back, I think you'll see that.

Mike deserved the Arkansas job when Nolan left and he's building a program.  There is no better option out there for Arkansas basketball.  Let Mike do his job.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 22, 2016, 09:56:01 am
Sorry letsroll, Arkansas isn't suppose to lose at home to Akron or Mercer. Also we should never use Anthlon Bell at the Power Forward position having to post up bigs. 4 guards and 1 big man is not intelligent basketball. Basketball 101 tells you SGs won't be able to box out or defend bigger players such as Porthyress, Lee, Skai and Willis. But at the end of the day, blame the refs, blame the players, blame the coaches, blame Monk, blame the fans. Do all these things. Kentucky is simply a much deeper and a much more talented team.  >:(

I don't think people remember losses at home to Morgan State, South Alabama and East Tennessee State.

We are not far removed from that time in the program and in addition to the APR issues. Kentucky was just better last night. There was time where we could have made a swing in the momentum of the game but we missed 3 point shots and free throws.

We didn't give ourselves a chance to beat a Kentucky team that has already beat Duke this season. I'm already moved on to Georgia. This team fix the rebounds and defend the backcourt at Georgia we can get a win. MA is improving this program. The numbers don't lie.

The_Iceman

Quote from: S.A.D.C on January 22, 2016, 09:48:55 am

Coach K at Duke:
13 Tournament Championships
12 Conference Championships
5 NCAA Championships
12 Total Final Fours

Coach Anderson at Arkansas:
1 NCAA Tournament appearance in 5 years.
1 NCAA Tournament win.

I think Coach K has earned a season to rebuild his roster.

psooie

MA needs to recruit better. See what happens this spring and next fall. If its like this next season, he will be in big trouble with his job status.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 22, 2016, 10:16:55 am
Coach K at Duke:
13 Tournament Championships
12 Conference Championships
5 NCAA Championships
12 Total Final Fours

Coach Anderson at Arkansas:
1 NCAA Tournament appearance in 5 years.
1 NCAA Tournament win.

I think Coach K has earned a season to rebuild his roster.

And they are still 14-5 and will almost certainly make the ncaat even in a "down" year.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 10:19:36 am
And they are still 14-5 and will almost certainly make the ncaat even in a "down" year.

Comparing Arkansas to Duke is like comparing Arkansas football to Alabama football!!! Don't make sense.

majp51

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 09:52:27 am
Yes, because coach k and mike are on the same level, good grief.

I am not calling for anyone to be fired, and do not think 3 years is long enough to judge any coach, but this is year 5 and the team has the same issues it had in year 1. Long stagnant stretches on offense, pathetic perimeter defense, give up way too many 2nd chance points, and even thought it is supposed to be his staple, they do not turn over good teams very often.

You are right basketball is not football. In basketball one or two players can make your team really good, so it should not take nearly as long to turn around a basketball program.

MSU is definitely a good example of that. While they haven't broken through yet , they have already transformed from a complete laughingstock, to at least competitive. In conference only the Arkansas game was never in doubt. And Howland didn't have time to really recruit last year, he was just fortunate enough that Malik Newman had not committed during the early signing period. This is essentially Rick Ray Talent + Howland Coaching.

Assuming that the talent he has recruited gels with the existing talent we are looking at NCAA tourney in year 2, and no later than year 3. And honestly 3 years of Rick Ray was a disaster, the Best player on the team from his era, Gavin Ware, is actually a Rick Stansbury recruit.

Perhaps Breems et al are right though, and MSU actually proves that had Arkansas hired someone like MA after the Nolan implosion, or no later than after Heath, then the recruiting void would not be so vast a chasm. Auburn I guess would be the better comparison to look at, after all MSU's pedigree over the past 20 years is actually better than Arkansas'.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 10:24:52 am
Comparing Arkansas to Duke is like comparing Arkansas football to Alabama football!!! Don't make sense.

Correct. Which is why we are pointing out how silly it is.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 10:24:52 am
Letsroll, this we agree with. Fans of Duke wouldn't be praising a year where the biggest win of the season came over Wofford. Then the fans point out their win tital and give the man in charge a pass because of the previous year.  8)

Kevin

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 22, 2016, 10:10:51 am
I don't think people remember losses at home to Morgan State, South Alabama and East Tennessee State.

We are not far removed from that time in the program and in addition to the APR issues. Kentucky was just better last night. There was time where we could have made a swing in the momentum of the game but we missed 3 point shots and free throws.

We didn't give ourselves a chance to beat a Kentucky team that has already beat Duke this season. I'm already moved on to Georgia. This team fix the rebounds and defend the backcourt at Georgia we can get a win. MA is improving this program. The numbers don't lie.

I remember those losses, and those coaches were fired
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on January 22, 2016, 10:28:57 am
I remember those losses, and those coaches were fired

and most of MA's most ardent supporters were calling for those firings.