Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Terrible refs...

Started by Hog Solo, January 21, 2016, 07:02:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Solo

Brought up every game I know but any questionable call is against arkansas. They kill any momentum and placed the game in their and kentuckys hands that first half.  Sucks and that is all.

hobhog

And we miss free throws to add to our misery.

And of course UK can't miss from arc, completely against thier usual game.

b_stackhouse

I can't buy this tonight. We shot more free throws and were in the double bonus before Kentucky. The problem is the defensive rebounding. Way too many 2nd chance points.

hobhog

Quote from: b_stackhouse on January 21, 2016, 07:06:19 pm
I can't buy this tonight. We shot more free throws and were in the double bonus before Kentucky. The problem is the defensive rebounding. Way too many 2nd chance points.

7 points in 10 minutes doesn't inflict much "hell".

Hog Solo

Not talking about free throw shooting exactly, but that shock clock violation foul is a 4 point swing, the second play of the game where the kentuck pg leaned into the foul, Moses Kingsley getting hit twice for a questionable walking call and then the offensive foul on the next possession were all highly dubious.  Not saying they all should or shouldn't be called but that crap adds up, and screw the refs

Iwastherein1969

agreed...the refs have made mistakes but nothing like they did at LSU..we are not blocking out and snatching rebounds....our supposed shooting guards haven't really shot well in a couple of games now, especially tonight...the up-fake and driving the lane for the runners are okay, but we need some bombs...the boys need to (and I hate to say this) but look at some tape of Rotnei Clarke and how he had a sudden acceleration around the screens which gave him room to shoot...our two shooting guards either shoot it on the run in transition or hopes the UK defense blows an assignment because they are doing NOTHING to get themselves room to shoot the 3-ball...oh well, maybe we have a run in us
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hog Solo

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 21, 2016, 07:13:22 pm
agreed...the refs have made mistakes but nothing like they did at LSU..we are not blocking out and snatching rebounds....our supposed shooting guards haven't really shot well in a couple of games now, especially tonight...the up-fake and driving the lane for the runners are okay, but we need some bombs...the boys need to (and I hate to say this) but look at some tape of Rotnei Clarke and how he had a sudden acceleration around the screens which gave him room to shoot...our two shooting guards either shoot it on the run in transition or hopes the UK defense blows an assignment because they are doing NOTHING to get themselves room to shoot the 3-ball...oh well, maybe we have a run in us

Wrong, and exactly why Moses just got a t. If they are frustrated by the refs then the fans damn sure should be too

Hogsmo Kramer

Mike needs to be the one to get a T.

Get off your butt and show some fire, maybe then your team will follow suit.

Nolan would have suplexed that ref for that.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Mr. Porkleone

Quit blaming refs.  Sure they missed a few.  But..........

WE ARE TERRIBLE.  Same ole stuff. Lack of rebounding, lack of free throw makes. Poor coaching. 

20 years and counting on blaming refs and the carry over if Nolan era is still haunting us. Face the facts.

Hog Solo

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 21, 2016, 07:22:27 pm

Last I checked Nolan isn't coaching and hasn't been for a while now.  Besides do you think it  helps for a coach to get a technical? I don't think nolans success correlated with the amount of techs he got in his career.

phadedhawg

Rebounding is bad but a lot of the edge would diminish if they were being called for over the back and pushing off.  Kentucky players are crashing the glass thru players with position and nothing is called

hobhog

Talent disparity across the board.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hawgwild child

Do we always have to have a thread like this when we lose

Iamjacksleftnutt

Moses was hacked from behind and there was NO call. He was set and they called him for blocking !!! The refs took the game away from Arkansas by saying nothing you do tonight will matter as loudly and clearly as they could. And its all over the players body language. Kentucky is attacking and playing like they have nothing to lose. Arkansas on the other hand looks like a scolded dog. This kind of garbage is why college basketball is sinking.

Officiating is killing the game. Protect the blue bloods at all costs garbage is sickening !!! The SEC sucks.

Iamjacksleftnutt

Oh and don't get me started on all the over the back calls Kentucky got away with especially early !!! UNREAL

hawgwild child

They have 22 fouls on them right now with poythress with 4.  We have out shot them from the ft line and we still whine about the refs.  The fact they even have that many fouls on them with bow soft we are playing is telling

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 21, 2016, 07:02:07 pm
Brought up every game

Let's Stickie this, The Terrible Ref Threat.... 

Danny J

Quote from: hobhog on January 21, 2016, 07:40:43 pm
Talent disparity across the board.
No doubt....need better players...some help on the way.

95_alum

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 21, 2016, 07:27:38 pm
Last I checked Nolan isn't coaching and hasn't been for a while now.  Besides do you think it  helps for a coach to get a technical? I don't think nolans success correlated with the amount of techs he got in his career.
1990? Epic shafting from the refs in Austin? You forgot? Allow me to jog your memory. Start at the 6:25 mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lLgdzJH4Tn8

Paul

The refs did not impact the game's result.  Obviously UK has much more talent. No player on our team would start for them...no one!  We played tight the whole game.  Didn't block out, missed free throws & never threatened to make this game competitive. They beat our press for easy buckets every time.. To compete with the better teams in the SEC we must recruit better or we will always be on the outside looking in.

Danny J

We could play that game 100 times and would lose all 100 times. They had the better game plan. You can tell that Cal spent all week scouting the reason we were winning and staying close in games we had no business being in. They absolutely would not let us get off 3 point shots without a hand in the face. That is how you beat us.

XavierZane

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 21, 2016, 07:07:56 pm
Not talking about free throw shooting exactly, but that shock clock violation foul is a 4 point swing, the second play of the game where the kentuck pg leaned into the foul, Moses Kingsley getting hit twice for a questionable walking call and then the offensive foul on the next possession were all highly dubious.  Not saying they all should or shouldn't be called but that crap adds up, and screw the refs

Started early too, with obvious fouls being ignored by KY.  Easy to get second chance points and stops when you're allowed to go over the back, hit their arm instead of the ball, etc. 

Even with all the help from the refs, this never turned into a blowout.  We lost by fourteen, and that's after leaving 11 at the foul stripe.  If we shoot at our normal level, this game ends up a single-digit contest easily.

Quote from: Iamjacksleftnutt on January 21, 2016, 07:48:50 pm
Moses was hacked from behind and there was NO call. He was set and they called him for blocking !!! The refs took the game away from Arkansas by saying nothing you do tonight will matter as loudly and clearly as they could. And its all over the players body language. Kentucky is attacking and playing like they have nothing to lose. Arkansas on the other hand looks like a scolded dog. This kind of garbage is why college basketball is sinking.

Officiating is killing the game. Protect the blue bloods at all costs garbage is sickening !!! The SEC sucks.

Hated seeing this.  I agree fully that our players were sent a message early, and for the second straight game. 

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 21, 2016, 07:22:27 pm

^^^^^^THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! ^^^^^^
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 21, 2016, 07:27:38 pm

I think showing some fire when you're getting jobbed by the refs does help.

If you take up for your kids they won't feel like they have to do it themselves.

Nolan was well known for taking no shite from anyone including the refs. Teams have a tendency to take on the personality of their coach and Nolan's teams were tenacious.

Maybe MA could take a page out of Nolan's book because what he did tonight didn't work.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Danny J on January 21, 2016, 08:24:23 pm
We could play that game 100 times and would lose all 100 times. They had the better game plan. You can tell that Cal spent all week scouting the reason we were winning and staying close in games we had no business being in. They absolutely would not let us get off 3 point shots without a hand in the face. That is how you beat us.
True, however, we ought to know that to counter that we HAVE to make opportunities by driving. When we did it worked great. Got to make the defense respect the drive in order to open the shooting space.

Too passive on offense and rebounding; seemed to be lost on defense a lot tonight.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Sharky

Quote from: XavierZane on January 21, 2016, 08:36:29 pm
Started early too, with obvious fouls being ignored by KY.  Easy to get second chance points and stops when you're allowed to go over the back, hit their arm instead of the ball, etc. 

Even with all the help from the refs, this never turned into a blowout.  We lost by fourteen, and that's after leaving 11 at the foul stripe.  If we shoot at our normal level, this game ends up a single-digit contest easily.

Hated seeing this.  I agree fully that our players were sent a message early, and for the second straight game.

The refs aren't out to get us. UK had more fouls, and more fouls early than us.

UK statistically beat us on rebounds, steals, blocks, fewer turnovers (they only had 6--wow), all three shooting percentage categories (FGM, 3PM, and FTM) ... but sure, just blame the refs if that makes you feel better.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: hawgwild child on January 21, 2016, 07:48:19 pm
Do we always have to have a thread like this when we lose

Absolutely.  How else can we explain and justify losing?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hobhog on January 21, 2016, 07:05:21 pm
And we miss free throws to add to our misery.

And of course UK can't miss from arc, completely against thier usual game.

Maybe it's the refs fault we cannot hit 3s and Kentucky can?  We have to blame someone,  don't we.   Maybe it was because they made us shoot outside our comfort zone.  Pressed us a little.  Oh yea, its called coaching.  And maybe Anderson let Kentucky shooters get set and into a zone?

We have to start putting blame where blame is due.  I am seeing a pattern and it is not the REFs.

hawginbigd1

I don't care how many fouls UK ended up with on stat sheet, they had twice that many! Refs contributed to this not being a game! I don't usually complain about the refs, being one and all, but 2 home games in a row we have not been getting the normal home benefit of the doubt.

As for the team, first being over aggressive on defense in the paint caused way too many 2nd chance points. Missed wide open 3s in the first 10 minutes, along with missing at least 4 front ends of 1and1 opportunities during the game kept this from being a game! We apparently have nobody on the floor that can guard Ulis!

XavierZane

Quote from: Sharky on January 21, 2016, 08:59:09 pm
The refs aren't out to get us. UK had more fouls, and more fouls early than us.

UK statistically beat us on rebounds, steals, blocks, fewer turnovers (they only had 6--wow), all three shooting percentage categories (FGM, 3PM, and FTM) ... but sure, just blame the refs if that makes you feel better.

Others in this thread have named a bunch of specific examples of the refs missing obvious calls or affecting the game through bad decisions.  Win or lose, bad officiating is bad officiating.

And I admit freely that Arkansas didn't play great or their usual style of play.  We missed eleven free-throws for one, which is essentially the difference between the score we have and our usual close losses this season.  We also took way too few threes in the first half, and too many poor ones in the second half.  Our defense was never as aggressive as it should have been and neither was their rebounding.

Doesn't change my opinion on the refs and their poor officiating though.

Hog Solo

January 21, 2016, 10:16:30 pm #32 Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:26:37 pm by Hog Solo
Agreed.   I'm not sure whats happened to our fans.  Used to be we wouldn't let the refs off the hook for how they handled the game in the first half, now it's all doom and gloom and we must fire everyone.  Sad state of affairs when we eat our own.

Sharky

Quote from: XavierZane on January 21, 2016, 09:35:43 pm
Others in this thread have named a bunch of specific examples of the refs missing obvious calls or affecting the game through bad decisions.  Win or lose, bad officiating is bad officiating.

And I admit freely that Arkansas didn't play great or their usual style of play.  We missed eleven free-throws for one, which is essentially the difference between the score we have and our usual close losses this season.  We also took way too few threes in the first half, and too many poor ones in the second half.  Our defense was never as aggressive as it should have been and neither was their rebounding.

Doesn't change my opinion on the refs and their poor officiating though.

It's just silly. The refs are always the easiest target for every fanbase.

Here's  UK complaining about the same refs you are complaining about except the exact opposite.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/kentucky-vs-arkansas-game-thread.152942/page-14

Is it easier to believe that the refs screwed us than to admit we aren't an awesome basketball team--I just don't get that point of view? We got beat because they were better in almost every category. I swear, some fans would think the refs aren't doing a good job unless we have zero fouls called against us.

Hog Solo

Who cares about the kentuck perspective.  As an Arkansas fan I saw some blatant calls against us that ended up killing the game for us. Like I said before sad state of affairs when our own fans speak up for the opposing team and caste down our own fans.

Sharky

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 21, 2016, 10:39:29 pm
Who cares about the kentuck perspective.  As an Arkansas fan I saw some blatant calls against us that ended up killing the game for us. Like I said before sad state of affairs when our own fans speak up for the opposing team and caste down our own fans.

It's not casting down fans. To me, being a fan means accepting the down years and admitting defeat. The point is that people can watch the same game as you and see the calls very differently. But the numbers generally don't lie--it's one thing when the numbers are way skewed against us, but (1) they outplayed us and (2) they were called for more fouls than us. CMA teams tend to foul a lot anyway, because we are always trying for turnovers. I just didn't see it your way.

hogsanity

Quote from: Iamjacksleftnutt on January 21, 2016, 07:49:52 pm
Oh and don't get me started on all the over the back calls Kentucky got away with especially early !!! UNREAL

You do know, well obviously you dont, there is really no over the back rule on the books. Just because someone reaches over an opponent and grabs the ball, even if contact is made, does not constitute a foul. If the player pushes the other player out of his established position, then that may be a foul, but simply reaching over and grabbing a rebound is not a foul.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WMHawgfan

agree with you on this. When we have played well, Bell has played out of his mind and the team feeds off that. UK came into the game last night determined to neutralize him and they did. Without Bell playing great we look like a very mediocre team. Home court advantage can't fix that. Defensively we had no answers either. Their guards took ours off the dribble at will. That is the one place I got angry with CMA, it seemed like we let it happen all night without changing anything we were doing. Not that it would have changed anything because it just looked like we were out classed in every way.

MountieDawg

Usually on these threads people complain that the Hogs were called for more fouls than the other team so the refs sucked.  Last night Kentucky was called for 25 fouls and the hogs for 23 and that is for a team down by 12 to 16 points with 4 minutes left and have to foul.  Still Kentucky had more fouls.  I thought the refs called too many fouls on each team which disrupted the flow... But they called many more ticky tack fouls after Moses got the T to try and keep the game from becoming a fight.

SEC!

hogsanity

Hogs were + 1 in FT attempts, + 2 in Fouls against, -9 on the glass and -3 in to's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GS99

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 09:04:43 am
You do know, well obviously you dont, there is really no over the back rule on the books. Just because someone reaches over an opponent and grabs the ball, even if contact is made, does not constitute a foul. If the player pushes the other player out of his established position, then that may be a foul, but simply reaching over and grabbing a rebound is not a foul.
True.  With grade schoolers, the refs feel bad for the little guys and always call "over the back" fouls on the tall kids just for being tall and getting a rebound when they're behind a littler guy.  Those refs think there's such a thing as "over the back" and call it even when there's no contact.  I thought of this last night when the Kentucky guys got rebounds from behind by being taller.  The refs in college know there's no such thing as "over the back".  With those correct no-calls and the terrible no-call when Moses go hammered, I knew Hogville would be all over the refs.

hogsanity

Quote from: GS99 on January 22, 2016, 09:48:00 am
True.  With grade schoolers, the refs feel bad for the little guys and always call "over the back" fouls on the tall kids just for being tall and getting a rebound when they're behind a littler guy.  Those refs think there's such a thing as "over the back" and call it even when there's no contact.  I thought of this last night when the Kentucky guys got rebounds from behind by being taller.  The refs in college know there's no such thing as "over the back".  With those correct no-calls and the terrible no-call when Moses go hammered, I knew Hogville would be all over the refs.

When you get down to it in basketball there are really only 4 calls: hold, push, block, charge. Everthing is some form of one of those 4.

OLDHOG

Kentucky had 10 offensive rebounds resulting in 12 second chance points in the first half. This IS our biggest problem IMHO. Some say rebounding is overrated, I say that's crap.

RacinRazorback

Bottom line is, as usual we aren't very good at the basic fundamentals, the refs sure didn't help but we didn't deserve to win the way we played. We looked totally unprepared to play right from the start. Was one of the most lack luster performances by us at BWA I ever remember watching. If we go to GA with the same attitudes and don't prepare any better we will get blown out. We had 2 games to make a statement, LSU and Kentucky, and lost both! I don't know where this team goes from here. Going forward we have to have more talent, role players are great but we need some players! WPS!

Rocky&Boarwinkle

And the one time no one got on Hannahs and he drained it, that guy was sitting with Cal chewing his butt and I'm not sure if I saw him back in the game for the rest of it.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247  14m14 minutes ago
Players suck, they get benched. Coaches suck, they get fired. Refs suck ... and nothing ever happens. Ever.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2016, 09:04:43 am
Technically any substantial contact from behind is a push and should be whistled.

Paul

It's childish to blame refs for our own inadequacies every time we lose