Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If this game had been called correctly by the refs

Started by JD Hogg, January 16, 2016, 09:32:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

I've thought for a while now that our team this year reminded me a lot of Nolan's last couple years, when we lived and died on outside shooting from Pargo, Dean, Gipson, and Joe. Sure, we have Moses now, and he is far better than what we had back then, but we still don't go to him enough when it matters most.

Then I saw these stats on largest FT differential from all Hogs games since 1989:

https://twitter.com/HogStats/status/688753403460214784

Is it irony or coincidence that the two largest scenarios of FT differential came when our team lived on perimeter scoring, in road games, as was the case last night? The refs aren't going to call a lot of fouls when our players prefer to score by shying away from contact inside. That was the case back then for Pargo & company, just as it was last night.

Moses needs to be more involved than he was, especially in road games. Two shots in the final six minutes, with one coming on his steal of Simmons near mid-court, isn't good enough. Durham, who sat in foul trouble for three of the final four minutes, can't be the only guy to try and create inside. Beard, Bell, and Hannahs have to do more than take 10+ shots/game, especially in crunch time.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Atlhogfan1

This is what I thought too last night while watching the fouls mount.  LSU was the aggressor in attacking our defense going towards the basket.  It was a contrast in styles.  Their leader is a F who doesn't shy away from contact.  Our scoring leader shoots a ridiculously low amount of FT's.  Power vs finesse.  That contributes to a FT discrepancy especially on the road.  Hogs had 24 fouls which is only 3 off the season avg.  The Hogs are one of the most frequent fouling teams in college basketball especially among high majors.  Most every team in the fouling range of the Hogs are mid to low majors. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 17, 2016, 10:54:33 am
I had more of a problem with LSU blatantly camping out in the lane.  You could actually hear Anderson yelling for the call the entire game.  Don't believe it was called once.

It was obvious with Simmons.  He didn't even try to step out in some instances. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 17, 2016, 11:47:33 am
This is what I thought too last night while watching the fouls mount.  LSU was the aggressor in attacking our defense going towards the basket.  It was a contrast in styles.  Their leader is a F who doesn't shy away from contact.  Our scoring leader shoots a ridiculously low amount of FT's.  Power vs finesse.  That contributes to a FT discrepancy especially on the road.  Hogs had 24 fouls which is only 3 off the season avg.  The Hogs are one of the most frequent fouling teams in college basketball especially among high majors.  Most every team in the fouling range of the Hogs are mid to low majors. 

Certainly I concur with this. I believe we've all certainly heard multiple analysts/commentators on TV state that the Hogs 'need to learn to defend without fouling.' Our lack of size will force our guys to be more aggressive (Miles' 4 fouls in just 8 minutes), and thus they will get called for a lot of fouls, especially as they tire and get sloppy.

The best way to negate this, especially at the end of games when there's more half-court play and less transition, is to get the opponent's size advantage off the floor (via foul trouble). We're not going to do that playing the way we did in the final five minutes of last night's game, putting the ball in a small guard's hands and having him drive and/or throw something up.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 16, 2016, 10:47:50 pm
It's our hand slapping, fundamentally flawed defensive style that's to blame. It's not the refs. You cannot hack at the ball and let the opposition drive the paint at will on the road. We deserve that kind of FT discrepancy.
Previous years, I would agree a lot with what you are saying here.  Last night, not so much.  I get letting the bigs play and they didn't really go after us too much on our blocking of shots.  I always watch on those to make sure that the body isn't hitting down low while going after the ball.  Kingsley has gotten really good about controlling his body and using his long arms to get at the ball without much contact.  As a result, he doesn't get called that much, but as the other poster pointed out, Miles got hit with the body and that should've been a foul.  The one that I found the most egregious was the complete slap and hitting of Bell's forearms when he received the inbounds play with around 20 seconds left and they just completely ignored it and acted like he had dropped the ball or they had made a clean steal.  I can see letting that go in the middle of the game, but when you have a one possession game and that happens, you have to call something there. IMHO that is what lost us the game, along with going cold by a few players in the last 5 minutes.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on January 17, 2016, 12:04:45 pm
Previous years, I would agree a lot with what you are saying here.  Last night, not so much.  I get letting the bigs play and they didn't really go after us too much on our blocking of shots.  I always watch on those to make sure that the body isn't hitting down low while going after the ball.  Kingsley has gotten really good about controlling his body and using his long arms to get at the ball without much contact.  As a result, he doesn't get called that much, but as the other poster pointed out, Miles got hit with the body and that should've been a foul.  The one that I found the most egregious was the complete slap and hitting of Bell's forearms when he received the inbounds play with around 20 seconds left and they just completely ignored it and acted like he had dropped the ball or they had made a clean steal.  I can see letting that go in the middle of the game, but when you have a one possession game and that happens, you have to call something there. IMHO that is what lost us the game, along with going cold by a few players in the last 5 minutes.

That was an obvious foul.  You can't let a defender slap down like that from behind.  My only guess is the official on the baseline had a bad angle and didn't see the contact.  Would have to watch the replay again and see where the official's eyes were and if he was shielded by other players. 

Iamjacksleftnutt

Some of you guys must work for the sec home office. It doesn't matter if our offense is attacking the basket or taking jump shots. A foul is a foul !!! The refs hosed us its as simple as that. When we did attack the basket we were hacked and there was no call. Simmons lowers his shoulder like a RB attacking the line of scrimmage tosses the ball in the air and we get called for a foul.

By the way I was NOT impressed with Simmons. He sucks. I'd put up his kind of numbers too if every time I touched the ball the refs put me on the line. The kids a joke. Which makes him perfect for the NBA.

LA Football fan

Simmons is still a true freshman playing and adjusting to the college game.  Sure he doesn't look as good as his hype but very few highly touted freshman players meet fans expectations.  He was a solid player, that made plays, rebounded, and forced the action.  Really, what more do you expect out of a freshman?  Look at Kentucky, are any of their highly touted freshman really performing up to expectations?  Is our highly touted freshman Whitt really performing up to the expectations that members of this board espoused?

Put Simmons on our team last night and we win the game going away.  Seems to me that he is a pretty dang good player, even if he makes several mistakes in the process.  The refs just called the game too one sided, no matter what anyone says on here.  A team that plays as aggressive a man to man defense as LSU cannot justify them having only 2 team fouls going into the last 5-7 minutes of the game, no matter how you slice it.  With their style, I and most fans would not have had a problem with them shooting more free throws last night.  Shooting 20 more free throws than us is an entirely different matter in a game decided by one possession.  Normally that kind of discrepancy occurs when a team is down by 8 or more points at the end of the game and they are fouling to try to get back into the game.   Really poor officiating no matter how some on here are trying to justify the differential.

fieldturf

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Iamjacksleftnutt on January 17, 2016, 02:10:36 pm
Some of you guys must work for the sec home office. It doesn't matter if our offense is attacking the basket or taking jump shots. A foul is a foul !!!

Bell & Hannahs put up 24 shots and just 1 FT between then. According to the PbP, 21 of those FG attempts were either 'jumpers' or 'three point jumpers.'

Victor and Simmons put up 27 shots and 18 FTs. Only 10 of those FG attempts were 'jumpers.' The rest were 'layups' and a 'missed dunk.'

It's clear as day.

Cinco de Hogo

Bout the only time Bell and Hannah's are gonna get fouled is on a screen or a rebound.  Just got to live with that.  Otherwise we aren't getting the bumping, clawing, scratching stuff that other teams do to us...inside or out.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 03:17:23 pm
Bell & Hannahs put up 24 shots and just 1 FT between then. According to the PbP, 21 of those FG attempts were either 'jumpers' or 'three point jumpers.'

Victor and Simmons put up 27 shots and 18 FTs. Only 10 of those FG attempts were 'jumpers.' The rest were 'layups' and a 'missed dunk.'

It's clear as day.
You are comparing two SGs with two PFs? Hmm I wonder which of those would shoot more free throws and shoot less "jumpers"...... Would have never thought that one.

azhog10

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 17, 2016, 04:11:49 pm
Bout the only time Bell and Hannah's are gonna get fouled is on a screen or a rebound.  Just got to live with that.  Otherwise we aren't getting the bumping, clawing, scratching stuff that other teams do to us...inside or out.
I would imagine dusty drew about as many fouls as anyone. Unfortunately for us they were all on the floor.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on January 17, 2016, 04:25:18 pm
You are comparing two SGs with two PFs? Hmm I wonder which of those would shoot more free throws and shoot less "jumpers"...... Would have never thought that one.

How astute. And what has to happen in order to shoot free throws? Take some time and think on it...no rush.

Iamjacksleftnutt

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 03:17:23 pm

It's clear as day.

Your agenda is as clear as day.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Iamjacksleftnutt on January 17, 2016, 04:54:09 pm
Your agenda is as clear as day.

There's no 'agenda.' It's rationalizing what took place. Sorry if my 'agenda' doesn't focus on crying on about blaming the refs when we dish out just 7 dimes and commit 13 turnovers, while settling for tough jump shots instead of working to feed our most efficient scorer who hardly saw the ball over the final five minutes.

Suck it up buttercup.

Iamjacksleftnutt

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 04:53:01 pm
How astute. And what has to happen in order to shoot free throws? Take some time and think on it...no rush.

The officiating was bad period. It doesn't matter if you are attacking the basket more or not. That is NOT relevant. Moses gets mugged in the paint attempting to attack the basket there was no call. Then LSU was driving and a touch foul was called against us. The officiating was bad period. You don't let one team practically tackle a guy going for a dunk on one end then blow the whistle against the other team for a touch foul on the other.

To make it worse they let Moses get knocked down to the ground while trying to catch an entry pass, then blew the whistle against us for breathing on Simmons as he was going to the basket on the other .... I could understand if you wanted to say hey they are human they were inconsistent. Even though that wasn't the case. If you think that game was called fair then you are either stupid or obtuse.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Iamjacksleftnutt on January 17, 2016, 04:58:49 pm
The officiating was bad period. It doesn't matter if you are attacking the basket more or not. That is NOT relevant. Moses gets mugged in the paint attempting to attack the basket there was no call. Then LSU was driving and a touch foul was called against us. The officiating was bad period. You don't let one team practically tackle a guy going for a dunk on one end then blow the whistle against the other team for a touch foul on the other.

To make it worse they let Moses get knocked down to the ground while trying to catch an entry pass, then blew the whistle against us for breathing on Simmons as he was going to the basket on the other .... I could understand if you wanted to say hey they are human they were inconsistent. Even though that wasn't the case. If you think that game was called fair then you are either stupid or obtuse.

Is it ever 'fair' for the road team? Of course not. But the Hogs had plenty of chances to win and they crapped the bed themselves with turnovers and bad decision making. Boo hoo about the refs all you want, but its ridiculous.

Iamjacksleftnutt

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 04:57:28 pm
There's no 'agenda.' It's rationalizing what took place. Sorry if my 'agenda' doesn't focus on crying on about blaming the refs when we dish out just 7 dimes and commit 13 turnovers, while settling for tough jump shots instead of working to feed our most efficient scorer who hardly saw the ball over the final five minutes.

Suck it up buttercup.

Buttercup ? No way you would say that to my face. You're pretty tough hiding out in your moms basement there aren't ya ? The officiating was terrible. I get it you hate Mike Anderson. Nobody is crying about shite here. We are just pointing out that SEC basketball sucks and that part of the problem is the crappy officiating. Disagree all you want but you aren't going to change what people here saw yesterday Nancy.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Iamjacksleftnutt on January 17, 2016, 05:01:00 pm
Buttercup ? No way you would say that to my face. You're pretty tough hiding out in your moms basement there aren't ya ? The officiating was terrible. I get it you hate Mike Anderson. Nobody is crying about shite here. We are just pointing out that SEC basketball sucks and that part of the problem is the crappy officiating. Disagree all you want but you aren't going to change what people here saw yesterday Nancy.

LOL wow.

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 05:00:59 pm
Is it ever 'fair' for the road team? Of course not. But the Hogs had plenty of chances to win and they crapped the bed themselves with turnovers and bad decision making. Boo hoo about the refs all you want, but its ridiculous.

HA, the officiating was horrible. Still there were other things that contributed to our loss. Regardless they played hard on the road. We should have been giving backside help to guarding Simmons all day long. It also didn't help that our blocking out was nonexistent . It also didn't help that the play to get the ball inbounds went to the corner where it is easier to trap and lose the ball. It also didn't help that Hannah , our long range shooter who had broken free , passed the ball to Beard. That resulted in a shot that missed the rim by three feet. That was pure genius that really fooled LSU. They were probably thinking that one of our two best three point shooters on the third best 3p shooting team in the NCAA would take the shot!.......excellent call

Knot2brite

It is really hard to attack the basket when every whistle seems to be against you and your play makers already have fouls. Again....officiating is subjective and it can dictate how aggressive or passive a team is on defense and offense
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 04:53:01 pm
I understand what it takes to shoot free throws. That had nothing to do with my post. It's just funny you compare two players who play a position that normally plays 20 ft from the Rim and another that plays 5 feet from the rim. Not a great comparison. I do agree we had our opportunities to win the game despite the officiating. But officiating does have an astounding impact on the game.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 17, 2016, 06:12:59 pm
It is really hard to attack the basket when every whistle seems to be against you and your play makers already have fouls. Again....officiating is subjective and it can dictate how aggressive or passive a team is on defense and offense

This.
In the ''Jordan Rules'' hey-day, MJ could moonstep down the lane, flashing people and reading a GQ magazine and never get stripped of the ball or stopped.  The refs wouldn't allow it.

Conversely, he could clothesline someone driving to the hole and the give them a suplex maneuver for good measure and never be called for a foul.

Under those circumstances, it doesn't matter what your gameplan is, what your personnel is, or what you WANT to do.  The officiating has at this point, dictated the rules of engagement.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 04:57:28 pm

Suck it up buttercup.

https://twitter.com/NWAHutch/status/688881844352204800

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 17, 2016, 06:12:59 pm
Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 17, 2016, 06:38:41 pm
The officiating has at this point, dictated the rules of engagement.

So don't run a play for Moses or make a concerted effort to work and give it to Moses for a high % shot, and don't try and draw contact and get to the line, because the refs have supposedly decided to cheat us? Yeeeeah...no.

HoopS

We had our chances. LSU got the SEC friendly home whistle. Obviously. We have improved greatly and MA is coaching really well. I'm not sure what our win total ends up but our team is making strides nonetheless.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on January 17, 2016, 06:31:26 pm
I understand what it takes to shoot free throws. That had nothing to do with my post. It's just funny you compare two players who play a position that normally plays 20 ft from the Rim and another that plays 5 feet from the rim. Not a great comparison. I do agree we had our opportunities to win the game despite the officiating. But officiating does have an astounding impact on the game.

It's funny because...huh? Yes, they are two different positions. Hence why I've been pointing out that Moses should have gotten more touches instead of being largely ignored the last 10 minutes of the game. Possession-by-possession, throughout the second half we chose to make the game harder where LSU just to work attacking the basket with two players, time after time. Still no comprende?

There's been multiple threads of people complaining about foul and FT disparity. It's clearly much easier to sit back, in retrospect, and blame them darn tootin rascally zebras instead of making real sense of it all. "Connect the dots...(la la la la)"

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 06:54:13 pm
So don't run a play for Moses or make a concerted effort to work and give it to Moses for a high % shot, and don't try and draw contact and get to the line, because the refs have supposedly decided to cheat us? Yeeeeah...no.

It's not necessarily a deliberate decision.
I think when unskilled referees are at a home venue, they are heavily influenced into how they officiate.

We'd be much better off with officials that had year round responsibilities and training to make and keep them sharp.

Sharper officials should equate to better, more consistent games with less peer pressure, bush league officiating.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 07:00:46 pm
It's funny because...huh? Yes, they are two different positions. Hence why I've been pointing out that Moses should have gotten more touches instead of being largely ignored the last 10 minutes of the game. Possession-by-possession, throughout the second half we chose to make the game harder where LSU just to work attacking the basket with two players, time after time. Still no comprende?

There's been multiple threads of people complaining about foul and FT disparity. It's clearly much easier to sit back, in retrospect, and blame them darn tootin rascally zebras instead of making real sense of it all. "Connect the dots...(la la la la)"
Ill let you go back and watch the last 5 minutes as I just did. Moses did touch the ball and there was a clear emphasis or want to get it to him. A few times our players missed him or just didn't want to throw it in. A few other times we did and it ended in some sort of turnover. So yes I comprehend quite a bit including your "excuse" to pull negative attention to CMA due to your uneasiness with him as our coach.

Our players failed to make plays, shots, and passes. The officials decided to call things tight on one end and very loose on another there's a lot of reasons we lost that game but the whole argument about deciding to not get Moses the ball may be about the dumbest one I've seen.

I also find it funny that willy was able to get better looks at the rim than Moses yet you are complaining about us not going into him. If Willy was getting looks and Moses didn't I have a hard time thinking it wasn't our guards or game plan. Moses was the reason Moses didn't get the ball more.

Knot2brite

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 06:54:13 pm

No but we could not do what LSU did and just drive to the basket willy nilly. Bears took it to the basket at the end and got bumped as he made the shot and no foul was called. Cheating implies that officials intentionally refuse to call things...I am implying that they were inept and allowed one team to play one way and the other team to not play that way. I have seen it a bunch of times from the sideline. The open shots that we did take were not falling at times. Moses also has to take the open shots at the high post because they were not going to allow him in the low block. You can want them to run low block post plays all day long but If he was getting double teamed ( and he was) and was being body checked out of the low post ( and he was) then all you are doing is pissing in the wind. There were times last night that I thought we ran out offense way too far out on the perimeter and settled. There were also times that we had the short angle jump shots that should be made. Call a couple of those early fouls on the interior and put LSU in the same circumstances of post players with foul trouble and the low block opens up
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

HoopS

Danny J

Moses was doubled or shaded with 2 guys most of the night. it stemmed from our inability to do anything from the elbow on offense by whoever Simmons was guarding. I mean why not double Moses when we have guys standing at the FT line refusing to shoot? Simmons and Victor camped out in the lane on D all night. Trey has to start shooting open shots.

mhuff

Quote from: azhog10 on January 17, 2016, 07:06:45 pm
Ill let you go back and watch the last 5 minutes as I just did. Moses did touch the ball and there was a clear emphasis or want to get it to him. A few times our players missed him or just didn't want to throw it in. A few other times we did and it ended in some sort of turnover. So yes I comprehend quite a bit including your "excuse" to pull negative attention to CMA due to your uneasiness with him as our coach.

Our players failed to make plays, shots, and passes. The officials decided to call things tight on one end and very loose on another there's a lot of reasons we lost that game but the whole argument about deciding to not get Moses the ball may be about the dumbest one I've seen.

I also find it funny that willy was able to get better looks at the rim than Moses yet you are complaining about us not going into him. If Willy was getting looks and Moses didn't I have a hard time thinking it wasn't our guards or game plan. Moses was the reason Moses didn't get the ball more.

I have to credit MA for the last few games. He has been really getting the ball inside , and the team has been shooting 3's well.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on January 17, 2016, 07:06:45 pm

Ahh there it is, your ever-present need to scream 'conspiracy.' Took you long enough to reveal your spitefulness towards HA and what you really wish to complain about. You state that the team made efforts to get Moses the ball towards the end, and failed to do so on almost every level. And at the same time, the notion that failing to get Moses more involved was a reason we lost is "one of the dumbest (reasons) you've seen?" ......you're talking yourself in circles.

By the way, I've said nothing about Coach A. Why should I? I'm laying this on the guards and what they need to do in crunch time when we have to execute better in the half-court. Coach A lets them do what they want to do.

PonderinHog

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 17, 2016, 07:08:55 pm
No but we could not do what LSU did and just drive to the basket willy nilly. Bears took it to the basket at the end and got bumped as he made the shot and no foul was called. Cheating implies that officials intentionally refuse to call things...I am implying that they were inept and allowed one team to play one way and the other team to not play that way. I have seen it a bunch of times from the sideline. The open shots that we did take were not falling at times. Moses also has to take the open shots at the high post because they were not going to allow him in the low block. You can want them to run low block post plays all day long but If he was getting double teamed ( and he was) and was being body checked out of the low post ( and he was) then all you are doing is pissing in the wind. There were times last night that I thought we ran out offense way too far out on the perimeter and settled. There were also times that we had the short angle jump shots that should be made. Call a couple of those early fouls on the interior and put LSU in the same circumstances of post players with foul trouble and the low block opens up

Beard also took it to the hole late and got an '& 1' off a drive and foul on Simmons. Moses doesn't have to be force fed at the low block with multiple defenders waiting. There are many ways to get him a higher % shot other than constantly having the same three guards perimeter screen, put their heads down, drive, and pray for a bailout. Especially when you're barely 6', on the road, and praying for a whistle. Let the bigger man go up strong.

This is a long stretch of the game we're talking about. Not just two or three possessions.

HawgAdvocate

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 07:37:47 pm
Beard also took it to the hole late and got an '& 1' off a drive and foul on Simmons. Moses doesn't have to be force fed at the low block with multiple defenders waiting. There are many ways to get him a higher % shot other than constantly having the same three guards perimeter screen, put their heads down, drive, and pray for a bailout. Especially when you're barely 6', on the road, and praying for a whistle. Let the bigger man go up strong.

This is a long stretch of the game we're talking about. Not just two or three possessions.

What you say is right on. Yes, we wanted the ball inside ,but we forced bad passes at bad times that resulted on turnovers. That is one more reason why we need to put the full court pressure  on recruiting Fisher.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

while I thought the refs were inconsistent Sat night, the overall sentiment being posted here could easily have come right from a Nolan coached game at any point in the 90's. The Hogs seemed to always have more fouls. When you go for steals, you foul, when you do not rebound well, not because you don't try, just because the other team has a size advantage in spots, you foul.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 18, 2016, 08:05:11 am
You need to expect to get shafted on the road.

We had chances to win despite the refs, and I think that is the difference between this team being almost a good one with potential and just being a flat out legit good team.

jry04

We ran a set play on the Beard and 1. It worked to perfection. The Bell turnover was unfortunate, but it also looked like he was fouled. 9 times out of 10, if and Arkansas defender slaps down on the ball and makes contact with the hand/wrist it is called a foul. Not in a crucial part of the game when LSU does it, though. Just like Simmons wasn't called for a blatant lane violation on the free throw he rebounded.

Moses scored most of his points in transition, and 1 from the free throw line. I believe he only had 2 points that came off an actual post move all game. Without him we would be in huge trouble this season, but he isn't a guy we can go to against quality big men, yet. He doesn't have the post moves, and gets shoved out of the lane quite a bit. I believe he is 1 for 5 when he caught the ball with his back to the basket on Saturday. I expect a big game from him on Thursday though, because UK's bigs play soft.

sickboy

Quote from: BBsTheMan on January 17, 2016, 01:10:43 am
As in SEC basketball?They are awful, every year.  There is at least 1 road game a year where we get absolutely screwed. Last year it was @UF and @Ole Miss, although we amazingly overcame the officiating and won that game, despite not shooting our first foul shot until like the 12 minute mark of the 2nd half?

Decent. As in satisfactory. Are they perfect? No. But watch some basketball outside of the SEC. They aren't any different than refereeing in College Basketball nationally.

hogsanity

Quote from: sickboy on January 18, 2016, 12:16:11 pm
Decent. As in satisfactory. Are they perfect? No. But watch some basketball outside of the SEC. They aren't any different than refereeing in College Basketball nationally.

It is just refereeing in general, more stuff gets called away from the basket because it is one one one, not a giant clump of bodies banging in the paint.

I was shocked they called the foul on Simmons when Beard drove late, but it was only those 2 around, everyone else had cleared out, so it was a much more obvious bump. Had Beard gone up among 2 or 3 defenders, no way that a lower body bump gets called.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2016, 09:11:06 am
while I thought the refs were inconsistent Sat night, the overall sentiment being posted here could easily have come right from a Nolan coached game at any point in the 90's. The Hogs seemed to always have more fouls. When you go for steals, you foul, when you do not rebound well, not because you don't try, just because the other team has a size advantage in spots, you foul.

Come on man. It was 24-13. And LSU plays a similar [CENSORED] style! This is a horseshit observation. Did you even watch the game? What makes this worse is the FACT that Arkansas had not been outfouling opponents season to date. Did you miss that fact too?
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 18, 2016, 08:41:35 pm
Come on man. It was 24-13. And LSU plays a similar [CENSORED] style! This is a horseshit observation. Did you even watch the game? What makes this worse is the FACT that Arkansas had not been outfouling opponents season to date. Did you miss that fact too?

I did watch the game. Most of the fouls were what many here would call touch fouls, but some were just being out of position, and at least 3 were "good" fouls which stopped easy buckets and led to missed ft's.

Why are people still surprised when the home team seems to get calls, or when a perimeter based team does not go to the line very often? Watch any game where one team plays offense around the 3 pt line, they do not shoot many ft's.

jry04

Quote from: hogsanity on January 19, 2016, 08:28:45 am
I did watch the game. Most of the fouls were what many here would call touch fouls, but some were just being out of position, and at least 3 were "good" fouls which stopped easy buckets and led to missed ft's.

Why are people still surprised when the home team seems to get calls, or when a perimeter based team does not go to the line very often? Watch any game where one team plays offense around the 3 pt line, they do not shoot many ft's.
You seem to think people are looking at the box score and getting mad about the foul disparity. People are mad about what they saw. As has been said numerous times, there were terrible calls in LSU's favor all game. Miles was hip checked on his dunk attempt, and no call when he missed it. Simmons was in the lane on that missed FT before the ball ever left the shooter's hand. Durham was shoved off with a forearm on one shot attempt, and they called us for it. Moses drug down from behind and lost the ball, but no call lead to a foul in transition. Regardless of how the two teams were playing, LSU was getting away with blatant fouls and violations without penalty. Hannah's would drive to the basket and LSU would contest the shot and make contact jumping into his body. I don't have an issue with them not calling it, but then Simmons would do the same thing and would immediately get a whistle. Trey Thompson blocked Victor from behind on a layup attempt, all ball according to the replay, and Thompson was whistled for the foul. Even the last play was questionable.  9 times out of 10 a ref will call a defender for a foul when they slap down on the ball. It looked like the player got some ball, but Bell didn't lose it until the player followed through on the swipe and ripped Bell's hand/wrist away from the ball. The examples of inconsistent calling go on and on. It wasn't a matter of contrasting styles. It was a matter of inconsistent officiating.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 11:06:59 am
I've thought for a while now that our team this year reminded me a lot of Nolan's last couple years, when we lived and died on outside shooting from Pargo, Dean, Gipson, and Joe. Sure, we have Moses now, and he is far better than what we had back then, but we still don't go to him enough when it matters most.

Then I saw these stats on largest FT differential from all Hogs games since 1989:

https://twitter.com/HogStats/status/688753403460214784

Is it irony or coincidence that the two largest scenarios of FT differential came when our team lived on perimeter scoring, in road games, as was the case last night? The refs aren't going to call a lot of fouls when our players prefer to score by shying away from contact inside. That was the case back then for Pargo & company, just as it was last night.

Moses needs to be more involved than he was, especially in road games. Two shots in the final six minutes, with one coming on his steal of Simmons near mid-court, isn't good enough. Durham, who sat in foul trouble for three of the final four minutes, can't be the only guy to try and create inside. Beard, Bell, and Hannahs have to do more than take 10+ shots/game, especially in crunch time.

That's where having a 3 guard lineup with no guard that can really attack the basket and no 4-man with any offensive skills really hurts us. We aren't going to go to the FT line much because no one is getting fouled.