If this game had been called correctly by the refs

Started by JD Hogg, January 16, 2016, 09:32:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Hogg

Arkansas wins by ten or more easily. What a crock of $hite

Hoggish1

Quote from: JD Hogg on January 16, 2016, 09:32:24 pm
Arkansas wins by ten or more easily. What a crock of $hite

I've never seen a game called more poorly.  That was highway robbery...!

b-ash

Lot of calls on us.  Not many on them!  Just another sec road game!

hogginbama

Welcome to a road game in the SEC. Been this way for years and will not change. Teams are expected to change the way they play the game on the road.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Jeffcphog

A home game for LSU with home officials and announcers.

bvillepig

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogginbama on January 16, 2016, 09:35:01 pm
Welcome to a road game in the SEC. Been this way for years and will not change. Teams are expected to change the way they play the game on the road.

This one was exceptionally bad, IMO. Very, very one-sided. They were in the bonus 6 minutes into the game. LSU got outplayed tonight.

WorfHog

It'll be the story of the week get ready, the SEC is about to pull out all the stops to make sure Kentucky doesn't loss two in a row.

Danny J

Horrible...some of them were blatant. One possession down the court Victor absolutely knocked Moses to the ground and no whistle. There was a foul on Beard late....no call. Several over the back fouls...no call. It was outrageous.

hawgwild child

Hate this, I feel like this was the game of the year for us. We get this W were in the driver's seat with confidence and momentum. Almost think UK is a must win now

hogginbama

Kentucky feels the same way. UK = 25 fouls and 18 FT / AU = 13 fouls and 31 FT. This is the normal officiating that occurs in the SEC. If the Hogs play their style at home and away, then they should be called for the same number of fouls (or close to the same) at home and on the road. Never happens that way. Until the coaches and ADs stand up to it, this will continue to occur. I understand we get our officials from a regional pool, but we always get the same ones.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogginbama on January 16, 2016, 09:35:01 pm
It's fair (or unfair) for all teams.

I remember a game when Rod Barnes was coaching Ole Miss and they played that very physical man-to-man style of ball. One game in Bud Walton we shot 48 free throws, they had way less than that.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

I wouldn't count on getting that same advantage at home vs UK by any means.

Knot2brite

People want to talk about consistency...officiating is subjective...anyone that tells you any difference lives in a house with Pollyana. Also anyone that tells you that officials do not influence the winning or losing of a game or even the pace of a game doesn't know what they are talking about
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

WorfHog

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on January 16, 2016, 09:49:59 pm

No way the SEC let's their golden goose Kentucky lose back to back.  Greg and Cal will pull out all the stops to make sure Kentucky doesn't struggle here

HogBreath

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on January 16, 2016, 09:49:59 pm
The refs treated us like a road team in the Vandy & Miss State games, that was all that kept MSU from getting blown out of the gym last Saturday.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Danny J

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 16, 2016, 09:47:19 pm
It's fair (or unfair) for all teams.

I remember a game when Rod Barnes was coaching Ole Miss and they played that very physical man-to-man style of ball. One game in Bud Walton we shot 48 free throws, they had way less than that.
It is not fair because many times the best team loses and that hurts their chances to get into the NCAAt later in the year. It needs to be fair across the board and its simply not because the home fans start booing and the refs start peeing their pants.

Knot2brite

I will add this....to me is wasn't so much what WAS called as much as what was considered a no call and the advantage that was given on the no call. The Miles blocked dunk where the defender blocked the ball but the defenders body hit miles and turned his shoulders was a case in point. That would have been a foul on Victor and then the clear out reach around to get position against Thompson in the first half by victor would have given him three fouls in the first half. That could have changed the way victor played in the second half

jfred59

Quote from: hogginbama on January 16, 2016, 09:46:10 pm
Kentucky feels the same way. UK = 25 fouls and 18 FT / AU = 13 fouls and 31 FT. This is the normal officiating that occurs in the SEC. If the Hogs play their style at home and away, then they should be called for the same number of fouls (or close to the same) at home and on the road. Never happens that way. Until the coaches and ADs stand up to it, this will continue to occur. I understand we get our officials from a regional pool, but we always get the same ones.

You mean the Cess Pool

dhornjr1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was wondering what the hell was going on with the officiating.

I missed the first half and turned it on just after the second half started. The first two plays I see are Keaton Miles getting knocked down with no whistle and on the ensuing LSU possession, an Arkansas player breathes a little too hard on one of their players and gets called for a foul.

Sharky

We run a system that requires a lot of swatting and physical contact. Anderson teams are just always foul heavy. Get used to it.

azhog10

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 16, 2016, 09:51:01 pm
People want to talk about consistency...officiating is subjective...anyone that tells you any difference lives in a house with Pollyana. Also anyone that tells you that officials do not influence the winning or losing of a game or even the pace of a game doesn't know what they are talking about

Touch fouls when Simmons touched the ball. They seemed to let the other 9 players on the floor play more physical.
Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

azhog10

Quote from: Sharky on January 16, 2016, 09:58:42 pm
We run a system that requires a lot of swatting and physical contact. Anderson teams are just always foul heavy. Get used to it.
Then why isn't every game that way? Arkansas played their normal defense and I think dialed down their aggressiveness to stay home against LSUs size. Victor and Simmons had a number of three seconds in the lane and we didn't get a few and ones we should have and they got any that were close. A couple times officials were calling fouls by the basket from half court in transition. No way they saw anything.

YtownHog

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 16, 2016, 09:56:36 pm
I will add this....to me is wasn't so much what WAS called as much as what was considered a no call and the advantage that was given on the no call. The Miles blocked dunk where the defender blocked the ball but the defenders body hit miles and turned his shoulders was a case in point. That would have been a foul on Victor and then the clear out reach around to get position against Thompson in the first half by victor would have given him three fouls in the first half. That could have changed the way victor played in the second half

On the same play after the block the Lsu player was laying out of bounds and swatted the ball back in bounds and they called the shot clock violation.

HogBreath

Quote from: azhog10 on January 16, 2016, 10:06:27 pm
Then why isn't every game that way? Arkansas played their normal defense and I think dialed down their aggressiveness to stay home against LSUs size. Victor and Simmons had a number of three seconds in the lane and we didn't get a few and ones we should have and they got any that were close. A couple times officials were calling fouls by the basket from half court in transition. No way they saw anything.
No way these clown refs even know there is such a thing as 3 seconds in the lane.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

XavierZane

Way beyond road bias, this was laughably bad.  They just refused to call us for anything!  I mean, if you look at the fouls in detail it's really blatant.

In the first half, LSU was given the bonus after only five and a half minutes.  At that point LSU had only had 1 foul called on them.  Their 2nd foul didn't come until nearly ten minutes in, when we had 8.  They were given the double bonus with 7:33 left in the first half.  At that point LSU only had 4 fouls called on them.  We finally got into the bonus with about five minutes left... but then the refs stopped calling fouls on LSU.  We got a seventh with a whopping 2 seconds left in the half, but no free throws.

In the second half, LSU was given the bonus with about eight left in the half.  At that point, only two fouls had been called on LSU.  They were given the double bonus with three minutes left.  Coincidentally, they had only been called for three fouls at that point.  We finally got into the bonus with :38 second left.

:puke:

Knot2brite

Some of yall are waaaay too young to remember the old SWC days...but I swear I felt like we were playing at Tx Tech in the mid 80's tonight watching the officiating

3kgthog

It's our hand slapping, fundamentally flawed defensive style that's to blame. It's not the refs. You cannot hack at the ball and let the opposition drive the paint at will on the road. We deserve that kind of FT discrepancy.

HogBreath

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 16, 2016, 10:47:50 pm
It's our hand slapping, fundamentally flawed defensive style that's to blame. It's not the refs. You cannot hack at the ball and let the opposition drive the paint at will on the road. We deserve that kind of FT discrepancy.
Riiiight..we can't swat and slap, we'll get called for fouls.  That's kind of the point though..our opponents swat and slap, camp in the lane, and bowl over our guys and don't get called.  Talk about can't see the forest for the trees.

Don't overlook the obvious.

Knot2brite

Except that wasn't what was happening. Both teams were doing the same things and one teams was being called regularly for fouls being committed and the other was being called much less for fouls being committed

JD Hogg

SMH
RME

Iamjacksleftnutt

This was one of the worst officiating jobs I have ever seen. I'd like to know why Jeff Long doesn't call the SEC out on their piss poor basketball officiating ? He's supposed to be connected right ? We were screwed in the football game against the Aggies earlier in the year and we heard nothing from Jeff. Now our basketball team is hosed.

Don't get me wrong. I"m sure Jeff has better things to do then demand fair play in the SEC ... But geez. Come on. Whats the point of supporting a program that doesn't stand up for itself when its obviously done wrong ? Why not just let the SEC officiating offices tell us who wins these games after the schedule is released and spare us all the trouble of attending or watching these so called events ?

Football isn't as bad. But something needs to be done about basketball. They need to just let them play like they do in the tourney. The conference would be better off for it. Maybe we should use some of all that money we have and steal the ACC's officiating crews ? Tonights game was a disgrace.

sickboy

I agree in philosophy. Arkansas is going to be a team that presses every ref to blow the whistle. And for the most part I think the SEC has decent refereeing.  However, any halfway competent ref will look at the numbers tonight and tell you the game was poorly officiated. If you're saying otherwise, then you're lying to yourself.

old_school_hawg

Guys...we played like shite! Discipline wins this game...propper decision making wins this game....not gonna analyze this completely,.but we had the last shot, if we wanted.  But, we inbounded the ball in the corner...who inbounds in the corner when you know they are going to be trapping for a turnover??? That's called the coffin corner for a reason....get the ball there and you're dead!!! 7th graders are taught this, and that's what we draw up? I could go on,.but I'm not going to cover our lack of blocking out and poor shot selection. I'm sick of whining about officiating......we list that game.....officiating can be overcome with discipline and execution. Every time. Not sometimes, not seldomtimes, but EVERY time. Now,.smite away. I don't care, I've said my peace. 
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: sickboy on January 17, 2016, 12:40:22 am
I agree in philosophy. Arkansas is going to be a team that presses every ref to blow the whistle. And for the most part I think the SEC has decent refereeing. However, any halfway competent ref will look at the numbers tonight and tell you the game was poorly officiated. If you're saying otherwise, then you're lying to yourself.
As in SEC basketball?They are awful, every year.  There is at least 1 road game a year where we get absolutely screwed. Last year it was @UF and @Ole Miss, although we amazingly overcame the officiating and won that game, despite not shooting our first foul shot until like the 12 minute mark of the 2nd half?

Dudeman

If Arkansas doesn't turn it over so much in the last few minutes it would have probably been a W.
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

Corkscrew Johnson

Not one to typically blame the refs, but that was pretty absurd.  Simmons was getting the NBA treatment.   You can call it tight or let them play, but it's not fair to call it two different ways on opposite sides of the court.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: old_school_hawg on January 17, 2016, 01:05:23 am
Guys...we played like shite! Discipline wins this game...propper decision making wins this game....not gonna analyze this completely,.but we had the last shot, if we wanted.  But, we inbounded the ball in the corner...who inbounds in the corner when you know they are going to be trapping for a turnover??? That's called the coffin corner for a reason....get the ball there and you're dead!!! 7th graders are taught this, and that's what we draw up? I could go on,.but I'm not going to cover our lack of blocking out and poor shot selection. I'm sick of whining about officiating......we list that game.....officiating can be overcome with discipline and execution. Every time. Not sometimes, not seldomtimes, but EVERY time. Now,.smite away. I don't care, I've said my peace. 

EVERY TIME??
That's so flawed and illogical, I'm not even going to provide a counter-post.
Refs have cost games, every year in fact.
Enjoy Fantasy Land my friend.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

maxhog5

What a bunch of whining crying little girls.  Officiating was fine.  LSU won because they made one more big play than the Hogs.  The foul differential took place due to two different styles of play, LSU attacked Arkansas defense from the get go while Arkansas looked to spot up and because Miles and Thompson absolutely could not guard Simmons without fouling.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: maxhog5 on January 17, 2016, 07:29:22 am
The foul differential took place due to two different styles of play, LSU attacked Arkansas defense from the get go while Arkansas looked to spot up and because Miles and Thompson absolutely could not guard Simmons without fouling.

That's right, unfortunately. Arkansas chose to shoot jumpers for most of the night while LSU leaned on Victor & Simmons to attack. Miles had four fouls in just eight minutes, and Thompson fouled out in just 19 minutes.

The Hogs had just 7 assists on 30 made FGs. Too much one-on-one from the perimeter.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jry04

Quote from: Sharky on January 16, 2016, 09:58:42 pm
We did not press much at all last night. Also, swatting and contact is not a requirement of the system.

jry04

Quote from: maxhog5 on January 17, 2016, 07:29:22 am
What a bunch of whining crying little girls.  Officiating was fine.  LSU won because they made one more big play than the Hogs.  The foul differential took place due to two different styles of play, LSU attacked Arkansas defense from the get go while Arkansas looked to spot up and because Miles and Thompson absolutely could not guard Simmons without fouling.
You cannot honestly believe the officiating was fine with as many fouls that they got away with. Moses pulled down from behind resulting in a turnover was a good call, right? The Ben Simmons 3 step after contact continuation was good? Simmoms in the lane before the ball was even halfway to the basket on the FT is not a lane violation, is it? How about Miles on the puck back slam that was blocked by Victor from behind, and replay showed Victor threw his entire body into Miles' back?

You may feel the refs were consistently bad both ways, but you don't know much about basketball if you thought those officials were "fine." Easily the worst officiating I have seen this season, and I watch much more than just Arkansas basketball.

Cinco de Hogo

I do believe Arkansas get the short end of the stick from the refs in most games, home or away.  However we lost last nights game because of some really bad basketball in the last two minutes.  Hannah's three bailed us out of an impossible situation only to see our lack of disipline toss it away.  You can't change what the refs are gonna do but you can play your game until the buzzer sounds.  Anderson will make no excuses in front of the media or his players today.

lc480

All  I have to say is that when both teams are slapping and bumping each other on every play is that one team should not be called for twice as many fouls as the other.
That is BS. Simmons is a long ways from being a big time pro player, he doesn't like it when someone roughs him up a little bit, and when goes to the NBA he will not get those little touch calls like he got last night. He sure not the best freshman that I Have watched play over the years.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2016, 08:06:52 am
That's right, unfortunately. Arkansas chose to shoot jumpers for most of the night while LSU leaned on Victor & Simmons to attack. Miles had four fouls in just eight minutes, and Thompson fouled out in just 19 minutes.

The Hogs had just 7 assists on 30 made FGs. Too much one-on-one from the perimeter.
If we had too much one on one then what would you call LSUs offense in the second half with Simmons? Looked like one on 5 to me.

Swinesong1

I had more of a problem with LSU blatantly camping out in the lane.  You could actually hear Anderson yelling for the call the entire game.  Don't believe it was called once. 

HawgAdvocate

January 17, 2016, 11:00:33 am #49 Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:20:15 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: azhog10 on January 17, 2016, 10:43:21 am
If we had too much one on one then what would you call LSUs offense in the second half with Simmons? Looked like one on 5 to me.

Except Victor was also a big part of the 2nd half, as he made four near point-blank baskets within the first three minutes alone. Our D was so focused on stopping Simmons that we let Victor and the other LSU players take advantage. LSU had nearly TWICE as many assists as the Hogs did. If Simmons wasn't using his size and skill to draw defenders and get to the basket to draw a foul or score, he was (sometimes inadvertently, via O-boards) feeding someone else.

Arkansas had just two assists in the entire second half: one by Moses & one by Trey Thompson. What does that tell you about our offense?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12