Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 06:17:40 am

Why does UA tolerate 4-7???

Started by jj202020, August 19, 2006, 04:46:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jj202020

Why can West Virginia be a top 5 football program, but we can't??

We have better facilities and better fan support.  I would think our recruiting base would be at least as good.  Am I wrong about this?

Someone enlighten me.

John Futrall

FBPLAYER65

RazorRaider

It is simple. As long as the seats in the stadium are full on gameday and the money keeps rolling in the powers that be don't care what the win loss record is.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

fineswine

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on August 19, 2006, 04:49:30 pm
West Virginia plays no one.
Yeah...Go ask Georgia how they feel about being "no one".

Nap

West Virginia's schedule - 2006
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=277

Arkansas' schedule - 2006
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=8

Now try telling me that West Virginia has a schedule even CLOSE to being as difficult as ours.
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

Swino

Excuses, Excuses.

Why do the fans tolerate it should be the question.

Boner

Do you know how hard the SEC is?  We're lucky just to be competitive in games.  HDN deserves a 10 year extension for what he's accomplished at this podunk school.

WilsonHog

I'll give you a serious answer. Three of them, to be exact.

(1) Because those in power have succeeded in convincing themselves that in the long run we can't do any better than what Nutt has given us, so we have to put up with consecutive losing seasons.

(2) Because we have at least one booster who values his "closeness" to the program, which is maintained by keeping Nutt around; and

(3) Because our fans allow it.

wctrumpet

Boner you couldn't be more wrong, this Podunk school as you put it has won a national championship before and almost beat Texas to win another one.....we have the talent we just never seem to make it ex. in 2003 when we were undefeated. but lost to auburn 10-3 because Houston decided it was genius to run the ball every play

jj202020

So West Virginia really isn't any better than us.  They're ranked up there just because of any easier schedule.

Yeah.......keep telling yourselves that.

That reasoning also means we made a mistake of joining the SEC.  SHoulda just stayed in the SWC, got easy wins, and potentially contended, huh?

hogsmaster

It goes in cycle.  W.V. is in top 5 this year, but they are not consistently up there.  Even the top-tier schools come and go such as ND, Florida, Tennessee, FSU, and Miami.  We are capable of being ranked in the TOP 10 in certain years and was there briefly in 2003, but I felt the coaching staff allowed that team to underachieve.  Hopefully, we can take better advantage of our talent upswing the next couple of years.

Swino

Quote from: hogsmaster on August 19, 2006, 06:09:18 pm
It goes in cycle.  W.V. is in top 5 this year, but they are not consistently up there.  Even the top-tier schools come and go such as ND, Florida, Tennessee, FSU, and Miami.  We are capable of being ranked in the TOP 10 in certain years and was there briefly in 2003, but I felt the coaching staff allowed that team to underachieve.  Hopefully, we can take better advantage of our talent upswing the next couple of years.

How many times in the past 8 years did we finish in the top 10? 

hogsmaster

Quote from: Swino on August 19, 2006, 06:11:44 pm

I agree with you.  I felt that 2003 team should've.  I think that the way things are today, you can't expect to be ranked in Top 10 every year, few teams are able to do this, but we should be in the Top 25 almost every year and Top 10 every 3-5 years.

Swino

Quote from: hogsmaster on August 19, 2006, 06:17:04 pm
Quote from: Swino on August 19, 2006, 06:11:44 pm

I agree with you.  I felt that 2003 team should've.  I think that the way things are today, you can't expect to be ranked in Top 10 every year, few teams are able to do this, but we should be in the Top 25 almost every year and Top 10 every 3-5 years.

Exactly.  As it stands, we can only hope for a top 25 finish every 8 or so years.

Albert Einswine

I think y'all are missing the true reason that 4-7 is tolerated. 

It's because Dale is a fine Christian man,  is like a brother to these young men and well,  he loves that helmet.   If you aren't able to tolerate these back to back losing seasons then you're obviously not a true fan of the Razorbacks.   

Everyone knows that Dale loves this program and wants to win more than anyone.   Why,  it just kills him to lose and that's why he's willing to run off tackle 12 times in a row.  It's our most effective play and gives us the best shot,  along with the smoke draw on third and long,  to win.

If you're a true fan of the program you'll support this fine man and his buddies if you have to endure 15 consecutive losing seasons.  It really is that important!  :puke:  Did I mention that he loves that helmet? 
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Swino

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 19, 2006, 06:22:04 pm
I think y'all are missing the true reason that 4-7 is tolerated. 

It's because Dale is a fine Christian man,  is like a brother to these young men and well,  he loves that helmet.   If you aren't able to tolerate these back to back losing seasons then you're obviously not a true fan of the Razorbacks.   

Everyone knows that Dale loves this program and wants to win more than anyone.   Why,  it just kills him to lose and that's why he's willing to run off tackle 12 times in a row.  It's our most effective play and gives us the best shot,  along with the smoke draw on third and long,  to win.

If you're a true fan of the program you'll support this fine man and his buddies if you have to endure 15 consecutive losing seasons.  It really is that important!  :puke:  Did I mention that he loves that helmet? 

You are a fine Hog fan, every fan that doesn't think like you is a communist.

rlamb

Why does everyone say the impotent RRS is always full when unless it's a Texas or Bama, it never has more than 65,000 or so ?  I really don't think there are that many socialite Fall-Mart people there to just show off their wives for a social event rather than really care who wins or how bad our record is, to really fill that House. 

If Frank is really that complacent, he should retire and the BOT should ban Lindsey from having anything to do with the Atrhletic Department
and also while they're at it, kick him off the Board.  And also while they are at it, get rid of White and find a more athletic friendly President.  You can find School presidents on any streetcorner. It's not like that cretin, pointy headed, fuzzy faced pseudo intellectual from Georgia Tech, White is irreplaceable.

Swino

Quote from: rlamb on August 19, 2006, 06:29:30 pm
Why does everyone say the impotent RRS is always full when unless it's a Texas or Bama, it never has more than 65,000 or so ?  I really don't think there are that many socialite Fall-Mart people there to just show off their wives for a social event rather than really care who wins or how bad our record is, to really fill that House. 

If Frank is really that complacent, he should retire and the BOT should ban Lindsey from having anything to do with the Atrhletic Department
and also while they're at it, kick him off the Board.  And also while they are at it, get rid of White and find a more athletic friendly President.  You can find School presidents on any streetcorner. It's not like that cretin, pointy headed, fuzzy faced pseudo intellectual from Georgia Tech, White is irreplaceable.

White isn't the problem, Jimmy L is.  Don't forget that Jimmy L has sacrificed getting a better coach just so he could keep his hand around the program.

LSUfan20

You know what's funny is, 3 to 4 years from now if you've hired a 9/10 win a year coach, you'll be laughing in disbelief at the fact that giving Nutt a 9th season was even debated.  You'll be reading these threads in amazement, at things like "I expect no less than 8 wins for him to keep his job."

Root Hog

Marshall   
Eastern Washington 
Maryland   
at East Carolina   
at Mississippi State 
Syracuse   
at Connecticut   
at No. 13 Louisville 
Cincinnati   
at Pittsburgh   
South Florida   
Rutgers 

Wow.  Give us that schedule and the Nutt would win 7 games and get us back to the Isle of Capri Bowl. 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Root Hog on August 19, 2006, 07:27:59 pm
Marshall   
Eastern Washington 
Maryland   
at East Carolina  
at Mississippi State 
Syracuse   
at Connecticut  
at No. 13 Louisville 
Cincinnati   
at Pittsburgh  
South Florida   
Rutgers 

Wow.  Give us that schedule and the Nutt would win 7 games and get us back to the Isle of Capri Bowl. 

Arkansas would go 12-0 with that schedule.

I can't answer for the "UA", but for me, I don't tolerate it, I can't do anything about it tho.  I can't change it, force a HC change, or anything like that.  Unfortunately, I also can't stop cheering for, watching, and going to see the Hogs every chance I get. 

As far as the difference between WV and Arkansas, the answer is simple, one word actually, COACHING. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Boner on August 19, 2006, 05:34:55 pm
Do you know how hard the SEC is?  We're lucky just to be competitive in games.  HDN deserves a 10 year extension for what he's accomplished at this podunk school.
it's people like you who are the problem and not the solution.

Hog Belly

Quote from: jj202020 on August 19, 2006, 04:46:16 pm
Why can West Virginia be a top 5 football program, but we can't??

We have better facilities and better fan support.  I would think our recruiting base would be at least as good.  Am I wrong about this?

Someone enlighten me.

I'm sorry. Did I miss something? Has the season already started?

Enough with the negativity. Bad post.

Root Hog

Quote from: dubyacee on August 19, 2006, 07:34:03 pm
Marshall   
Eastern Washington 
Maryland   
at East Carolina  
at Mississippi State 
Syracuse   
at Connecticut  
at No. 13 Louisville 
Cincinnati   
at Pittsburgh  
South Florida   
Rutgers 

I can't answer for the "UA", but for me, I don't tolerate it, I can't do anything about it tho.  I can't change it, force a HC change, or anything like that.  Unfortunately, I also can't stop cheering for, watching, and going to see the Hogs every chance I get. 

As far as the difference between WV and Arkansas, the answer is simple, one word actually, COACHING. 

Nope.  Arkansas SHOULD go 12-0 with that schedule.  Just like Arkansas should have gone 10-1 in 2003.  The Nutt will lose games on ANY schedule.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Root Hog on August 19, 2006, 07:50:09 pm
Marshall   
Eastern Washington 
Maryland   
at East Carolina  
at Mississippi State 
Syracuse   
at Connecticut  
at No. 13 Louisville 
Cincinnati   
at Pittsburgh  
South Florida   
Rutgers 

Nope.  Arkansas SHOULD go 12-0 with that schedule.  Just like Arkansas should have gone 10-1 in 2003.  The Nutt will lose games on ANY schedule.

I started thinking that, but I also looked at that schedule about 3 itimes, and the ONLY game that should even be close on it would be Louisville, and I think our defense could stop their O.  You hit a weak ass team like that in the mouth a couple of times, they are all scared.  Outside of the Big 12 and SEC, there are no smashmouth conferences, just a lot of "finesse" teams. 

Root Hog

"Outside of the Big 12 and SEC, there are no smashmouth conferences, just a lot of "finesse" teams.  "

Did you mean the Big Ten?  Surely you don't consider the Big 12 to be as tough as the SEC.

Yo Huckleberry

HDN and John White's bow tie has cut the circulation off to his brain and JFB has been dead for 10 years, w/his mandible being moved by JL who is standing behind the curtain. :-[

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Root Hog on August 19, 2006, 07:57:32 pm
"Outside of the Big 12 and SEC, there are no smashmouth conferences, just a lot of "finesse" teams.  "

Did you mean the Big Ten?  Surely you don't consider the Big 12 to be as tough as the SEC.

I don't consider ANY conference to be as tough as the SEC, NONE.  I was referring to the type of ball they play.  I think the Big 12 is the closest to the SEC. 

Hog Belly

Marshall   
Eastern Washington 
Maryland   
at East Carolina   
at Mississippi State 
Syracuse   
at Connecticut   
at No. 13 Louisville 
Cincinnati   
at Pittsburgh   
South Florida   
Rutgers 

Nope.  Arkansas SHOULD go 12-0 with that schedule.  Just like Arkansas should have gone 10-1 in 2003.  The Nutt will lose games on ANY schedule.

I'm sure you're right. WTH EVER

Root Hog

Quote from: Hog Belly on August 19, 2006, 08:00:30 pm
Marshall   
Eastern Washington 
Maryland   
at East Carolina  
at Mississippi State 
Syracuse   
at Connecticut  
at No. 13 Louisville 
Cincinnati   
at Pittsburgh  
South Florida   
Rutgers 

Nope.  Arkansas SHOULD go 12-0 with that schedule.  Just like Arkansas should have gone 10-1 in 2003.  The Nutt will lose games on ANY schedule.

I'm sure you're right. WTH EVER

Hi Wally!  How you doing tonight?  Finished your Sunday column yet?

gopigsgo

JFB saved the school from White if the truth be known. Up to last year I had been down on Frank Broyles for a couple of seasons and changed my mind when some people from behind the scenes informed me of the facts. It was startling and scared me as to how White will be happy with a Vandy type football program. The way I understood it was that he could get plenty of funding from other sources and having a competitive program year after year wasn't all that important. Put chills down my spine and I quit any negativity towards JFB. Just food for thought on how bad it could actually be.

HogasaurusRex

Sad thing is that we keep on going to the games.....wait did I just say that?  I've discovered why I keep buying tix.....I love our team.....I guess I don't love them enough to NOT go to the games.  Are you guys suggesting we treat the HOGS like one of our kids that stays out to late on a Saturday night & lock the door? (so to speak and I wasn't being sarcastic)  Man that would suck. I'll admit that Im not sure I could do that & I just bought our 1st season tix ever!  I guess Im drinking the koolaid 'cause if there's a game I WANT to go even if we stink it up.  What do fans like me do that HATE the situation we're in but feel such an obligation to the TEAM & not the HC?

hogsmaster

Quote from: dubyacee on August 19, 2006, 08:00:22 pm
Quote from: Root Hog on August 19, 2006, 07:57:32 pm

I don't consider ANY conference to be as tough as the SEC, NONE.  I was referring to the type of ball they play.  I think the Big 12 is the closest to the SEC. 

I agree that the SEC usually is the best football conference every year, but the Big Ten is known to play smash mouth type of football.  I remembered how physical Michigan was when we played them in the Citrus Bowl.  Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin all like to run the ball down people throats.