Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not sure if Calapari is just trying to get another raise

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, April 25, 2016, 06:40:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

But his agent say's he'll  listen to what the Lakers have to say.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

SONofHAM

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

RaisinHog

Are we lucky enough for Cal to jump to the NBA and monk come back home ??

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

FineAsSwine

I hope he is serious and decides to make the jump, if the Lakers want him. I would love to watch him get beat up in the Western Conference going against Popovich, Rivers, Kerr and the like. Would be fun listening to him throw the team under the bus at post game pressers after a loss.
Hogs up! Covid down!

RaisinHog

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on April 25, 2016, 08:40:14 pm
No way.  Monk will go to UK no matter what

Lol idk about that but I think the bridge back into Arkansas may have been burned ... And I don't think Cal will leave anyway

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RaisinHog on April 25, 2016, 09:08:53 pm
Lol idk about that but I think the bridge back into Arkansas may have been burned ... And I don't think Cal will leave anyway

Malik wants to play with Fox he wouldn't come here even if bridges weren't burned.

Calipari will leave for the NBA if the price and team are right. Not sure the Lakers are that team

TrueBlue

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 25, 2016, 09:27:35 pm
Malik wants to play with Fox he wouldn't come here even if bridges weren't burned.

Calipari will leave for the NBA if the price and team are right. Not sure the Lakers are that team

I am not a Lakers fan by any stretch of the imagination, but if Cal is offered the Lakers gig and he doesn't accept, then he will never go back to the NBA. They have the money, the history, and most importantly for Cal, the spotlight of LA and playing in front of the stars. It is right up his alley.   

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Bionic_Pig

Monk & Foxx could care less about what University is on the front of the Jersey.  Their more concerned with a 6 month self-promotion campaign to ascend their NBA Draft stock. 

If Ulis doesn't return their on the path to another 20+ win season and a early NCAA exit.  They will simply out-talent the majority of their opponents.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Mick Hogger

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 25, 2016, 09:40:45 pm
I am not a Lakers fan by any stretch of the imagination, but if Cal is offered the Lakers gig and he doesn't accept, then he will never go back to the NBA. They have the money, the history, and most importantly for Cal, the spotlight of LA and playing in front of the stars. It is right up his alley.   

And he'll have Randle, Russell, Clarkson and a lottery pick. And his name could draw in free agents more than Luke Walton.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 25, 2016, 09:40:45 pm

What they don't have is players currently on the roster they can win with. Some nice pieces but they need some super star talent. Maybe Cal can lure that talent in FA. Maybe he can't

I honestly believe the Cavs if they don't win it all are a more realistic option. Not sure Lue would survive

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 25, 2016, 09:56:40 pm
What they don't have is players currently on the roster they can win with. Some nice pieces but they need some super star talent. Maybe Cal can lure that talent in FA. Maybe he can't

I honestly believe the Cavs if they don't win it all are a more realistic option. Not sure Lue would survive
If he can pull in all those 5 stars at UK, he sure as hell can pull in some good FAs.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Nipsey Mussle

Did you ask Monk what he would do if this situation were to occur? Oh, you're guessing.

I'd just be happy for Calipari to be out of our league.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 25, 2016, 10:13:25 pm
If he can pull in all those 5 stars at UK, he sure as hell can pull in some good FAs.

Apples to Oranges. His current pitch is I'll get you to the NBA. Doesn't really work with players already there.

2 pitches work in the NBA. We will give you max money and you can win it all here.

LA does have a lot of cap space but that hasn't really helped them the last 2 off seasons. That was rumored to be because of Kobe. I guess we will find out this off season.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Mick Hogger on April 25, 2016, 09:53:30 pm
And he'll have Randle, Russell, Clarkson and a lottery pick. And his name could draw in free agents more than Luke Walton.
Cal won't be as respected around the league as Luke is so I don't agree with that. In the NBA you have to be able to be a good in game coach.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Foshodo

cap space. Julius Randle is the weakest of your current big 3. and potential of Ben Simmons to plug in...

Cal would be a fool not to go... as a Lakers fan, i'd hate it... but as a Razorback fan, i want him out

hawgwileywyatt

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on April 25, 2016, 11:31:16 pm
Cal won't be as respected around the league as Luke is so I don't agree with that. In the NBA you have to be able to be a good in game coach.

Ditto.

Hawg Red

My take on the two topics in this thread:

1) Malik Monk will not end up at Arkansas due to his own reasoning for going with UK in the first place. (business decision/building a brand). He'll stick with UK or head to another blue blood program where he can be in the national spotlight every game.

2) Calipari is EXACTLY what the Lakers need. Byron Scott was the poplar opposite of what they needed. They need a coach that can develop and deal with that young talent. I see folks saying he wouldn't be respected in the NBA but that does not add up to me considering his time at Memphis and Kentucky. NBA players opted to be coached by the man for a season in college but they wouldn't play for him in the NBA? Wouldn't suspect Archie Goodwin would want to play for him again, but most of the others wouldn't mind it, I'd assume.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mick Hogger on April 25, 2016, 09:53:30 pm

High level free agents care more about money and who they play with much moreso than who they play for. As an NBA coach Cal doesn't have the reputation of other top coaches and the top players know it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MountieDawg

CAP SPACE with Kobe gone and the lure of LA to CAL and potential Free Agents could be enough to lure him to LA.  I think they will go with Luke Walton but its the best place Cal has been offered with some Cap Space. 
SEC!

hawgwileywyatt

At this late in the game, who would KY get to replace Cal?

King Kong

Quote from: hawgwileywyatt on April 26, 2016, 07:31:11 am
At this late in the game, who would KY get to replace Cal?

Gregg Marshall.

If Durant left OKC Billy D would probably take it as well. Just my opinion

poloprince

Calipari can't coach men, I can't imagine any scenario where he leaves Kentucky for an NBA job.
$PoLoPrInCe$

onebadrubi

Luke Walton may very well want nothing to do with LA, it's gen mngr issues, ownership debacle, and roster issues. Keep in mind that locker room isn't the greatest place right now either.

Walton has positioned himself to take a Kerr and golden state type job. He just has to wait for it to open.

Jackrabbit Hog

Maybe we'll get lucky and Josh Pastner will be hired to replace Calipari at Kentucky.  Then he can preside over a slow program decline like he did at Memphis following Cal.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on April 26, 2016, 08:14:10 am
Calipari can't coach men, I can't imagine any scenario where he leaves Kentucky for an NBA job.

Then you don't have much of an imagination.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 26, 2016, 08:38:02 am
Maybe we'll get lucky and Josh Pastner will be hired to replace Calipari at Kentucky.  Then he can preside over a slow program decline like he did at Memphis following Cal.

This is the best scenario.   :)
Hogs up! Covid down!

husker71

If you become the Lakers coach you also get Jimmy Buss   maybe the worst NBA owner.  He wanted Byron Scott to coach up the young players while everybody realizes that Scott hates to play young players.  So Laker fans are hoping Jeanie comes back but I cant imagine Cal being her coach of choice.  I would assume Cal would want some more power than just coach and that will not happen with Jeanie and Phil/Mitch

FineAsSwine

Luke Walton should be top choice for the Lakers, IMO. Don't know if he wants to take on that rebuild though. Could be a career killer.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Hard reality for the Lakers FO and fans right now is that the job is just not attractive for a number of reasons. Organization has gone to crap since Dr. Jerry died.

rude1

Can't see Cal leaving for a rebuild job, only way I can see him leaving is there is an opportunity to take over a ready built contender like Cleveland.

Being a Laker fan I know they are a few years away from coming back from obscurity. Love Kobe but he really set the franchise back by playing past his prime. I see some pointing fingers at the Lakers front office, but how can you build a team when no free agents will come play for you because you have an aging star who won't accept a lesser role or money?

Hawg Red

Quote from: rude1 on April 26, 2016, 12:20:13 pm
Can't see Cal leaving for a rebuild job, only way I can see him leaving is there is an opportunity to take over a ready built contender like Cleveland.

Being a Laker fan I know they are a few years away from coming back from obscurity. Love Kobe but he really set the franchise back by playing past his prime. I see some pointing fingers at the Lakers front office, but how can you build a team when no free agents will come play for you because you have an aging star who won't accept a lesser role or money?

The front office hired Byron Scott, didn't they? And then waited until Tom Thibadeau had already taken a job to fire Scott. Front office also signed Nick Young to a multi-year contract. They've done a really poor job.

Großer Kriegschwein

After the last few months, no way he doesn't leave.

He'd get boo'd every game for the one year he'd be here.
This is my non-signature signature.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 26, 2016, 12:33:08 pm

Nah trust me.  He'd immediately be accepted if he came here. 

Cal... Leave, go to the lakers, it's your calling.  CaLApari.  I know that's not how it's spelled but don't care.  He needs to take this great opportunity to coach a class act organization such as the lakers.  He'll be able to recruit free agents and will have great success in the nba.  Congratulations on your new job calipari.

Hawg Red

Tusks

The real question is where does Cal have the most cap space UK or LA ?   :)
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jry04

Calipari has already said multiple times to reporters and in interviews that he will not retire at UK. He has said that UK is a dream job for so many coaches, and he does not feel he should hold that position for the rest of his career. Whether that is true, who knows. At what point does he say enough is enough? My guess is he leaves after his next championship, but that is just me. I do not see him staying anymore than 10 years, and if the right opportunity opened up, maybe sooner.

jry04

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 26, 2016, 12:33:08 pm

While I do not see there being any circumstance that Monk came to Arkansas, your last statement is as silly as it gets. If Monk decided to come here we would sell out nearly every game next season, and Monk would be expected to be one of the greatest Razorbacks ever. The guy is going to be a lottery pick, and one of the top 5-10 players in all of college basketball next season. Fans would quickly get over his decision to pick UK if he decided to come here. All a dream at this point, though.

This whole situation is the very reason I thought it was stupid to sign early. Why commit early to UK when Calipari is rumored for NBA positions every year? Even if he wants to go to UK, I wouldn't sign early not knowing the future of the coach.

Hogs33

Lakers have a lot of prestige to their program. It wouldn't surprise me if Cal left or stayed.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

onebadrubi

Quote from: tusked on April 26, 2016, 01:07:37 pm
The real question is where does Cal have the most cap space UK or LA ?   :)
Someone gets it!

rude1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 26, 2016, 12:22:30 pm
The front office hired Byron Scott, didn't they? And then waited until Tom Thibadeau had already taken a job to fire Scott. Front office also signed Nick Young to a multi-year contract. They've done a really poor job.
Byron Scott was hired to finish out the Kobe era. The rebuild couldn't start until Kobe was gone, and maybe TT wasn't the coach they are looking for to do the actual rebuild job.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rude1 on April 26, 2016, 09:09:14 pm
Byron Scott was hired to finish out the Kobe era. The rebuild couldn't start until Kobe was gone, and maybe TT wasn't the coach they are looking for to do the actual rebuild job.

None of that makes any sense as the Lakers never attempted to make the playoffs under Scott and Thibadeau is heading up the next phase for Minnesota and reportedly would have been open to the Laker job. You're telling me they'd hire Byron Scott but not Tom Thibadeau?

The Lakers hired Byron Scott because they have no clue what they're doing. Look at all the coaches they've gone through in the last several years.

SuperSid4Ever

The Lakers were run a little differently when Dr. Jerry Buss was alive.  When he passed away, the power of the club was split between his son and his daughter, and it's never been anywhere close to the same as in years gone by.

IMHO, it will most likely take someone buying the franchise to ever right the ship.  The price tag will be astronomical, which tells me that it may be a while before any such sale happens.  Until it does happen, any coach who takes the job would be committing career suicide.  The organization is a total mess.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

April 27, 2016, 02:51:01 am #44 Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:28:44 pm by SooiecidetillNuttgone
Quote from: jry04 on April 26, 2016, 03:30:50 pm
While I do not see there being any circumstance that Monk came to Arkansas, your last statement is as silly as it gets. If Monk decided to come here we would sell out nearly every game next season, and Monk would be expected to be one of the greatest Razorbacks ever. The guy is going to be a lottery pick, and one of the top 5-10 players in all of college basketball next season. Fans would quickly get over his decision to pick UK if he decided to come here. All a dream at this point, though.

This whole situation is the very reason I thought it was stupid to sign early. Why commit early to UK when Calipari is rumored for NBA positions every year? Even if he wants to go to UK, I wouldn't sign early not knowing the future of the coach.

I think you underestimate the integrity of some fans.
Maybe many "forget".
Maybe even most "forget".
There would be a sizeable segment that wouldn't "forget" how Marcus played the University and state nor how Malik went slinking off to a state rival and in-conference foe.

Nope.  Some things, such as your girlfriend cheating with your worst enemy, aren't things you simply, nor should, "forget".   (Stupid auto-correct)
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 25, 2016, 10:13:25 pm

You do know that all the players in the NBA already get paid to play?

That's his thing in recruiting now. He is at a basketball royalty school and promises these kids that they will make more money by going there.

That pitch won't fly with NBA players.

Hoggish1

rude1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 26, 2016, 10:37:52 pm
None of that makes any sense as the Lakers never attempted to make the playoffs under Scott and Thibadeau is heading up the next phase for Minnesota and reportedly would have been open to the Laker job. You're telling me they'd hire Byron Scott but not Tom Thibadeau?

The Lakers hired Byron Scott because they have no clue what they're doing. Look at all the coaches they've gone through in the last several years.
I guess you aren't understanding that they hired Scott with basically knowing that it was going to be impossible to put a winning squad together until Kobe retired. Scott was a stop gap hire until Kobe retired. Unless you really believe that Thibadeau could have gone there with that roster and won, which I don't.

Inhogswetrust

April 28, 2016, 06:30:46 am #48 Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:07:53 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 26, 2016, 08:38:02 am

I'm sure by the time that happens GT will be willing to pay more to get rid of Pastner than Memphis did.....................I was flabbergasted when GT fell for that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg Red

Quote from: rude1 on April 27, 2016, 10:19:17 pm
I guess you aren't understanding that they hired Scott with basically knowing that it was going to be impossible to put a winning squad together until Kobe retired. Scott was a stop gap hire until Kobe retired. Unless you really believe that Thibadeau could have gone there with that roster and won, which I don't.

Thibadeau would have been hired this offseason. You're still not making any sense. What does Kobe retiring have to do with anything? Why even fire the coach before Scott if it didn't essentially matter who the head coach was.