Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

darrell walker

Started by Kevin, April 20, 2016, 01:43:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

BREAKING: Former NBA Player Darrell Walker Named New Coach of Clark Atlanta Men's Basketball
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

King Kong

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Kevin on April 20, 2016, 01:43:35 pm
BREAKING: Former NBA Player Darrell Walker Named New Coach of Clark Atlanta Men's Basketball

What the heck is Clark Atlanta Men's Basketball?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HawgWild

Best of luck Coach "Sky" Walker.

3kgthog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 20, 2016, 02:22:57 pm
What the heck is Clark Atlanta Men's Basketball?

Small black college in Atlanta

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 20, 2016, 02:56:45 pm
Small black college in Atlanta

Congrats to DW then.  I just wasn't familiar with the school.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

IronMountainHog

Word I heard was he would have gotten a chance replacing Heath, but never got his diploma. Wonder if he finished up or if they don't care at Clark.

cypress rock

I am pretty sure that he graduated and I think Eddie Sutton was the one who presented him with his diploma. It was a December graduation

hoglady

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 20, 2016, 04:01:09 pm
Word I heard was he would have gotten a chance replacing Heath, but never got his diploma. Wonder if he finished up or if they don't care at Clark.

He probably would have been the UALR coach instead of Sidney - but he didn't have that diploma at the time.
Glad to see this - it seems like he's been wanting to coach in college for a while.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

WBOBO

Congrats to my man DW.  He will make an excellent college coach and his rise up the ladder is
just now starting.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

SuperSid4Ever

WBOBO

He never had a family until he came to Fayetteville.  Coach Sutton and his wife  I think took a liking
to him and he gave saw the light. 
Was Coach's wifes name Patsy?  That's what comes to mind but somebody help me.  Good woman and tough woman.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WBOBO on April 20, 2016, 11:18:46 pm
He never had a family until he came to Fayetteville.  Coach Sutton and his wife  I think took a liking
Was Coach's wifes name Patsy?  That's what comes to mind but somebody help me.  Good woman and tough woman.

Correct. Patsy was Eddie's wife. She was an angel! Without her there is no telling what would have happened to Darrell. She was truly like a mother to him and to all of Eddie's players. She passed away in 2013.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ironhawg

Quote from: WBOBO on April 20, 2016, 11:18:46 pm

Darrell Walker is and always will be one of my favorite Hogs.  I remember more than one occasion when Eddie got right up in Darrell's grill on the sidelines during a game.  There was one time during DW's senior year that sticks out in my head.  Eddie was really upset over something and was getting after DW and DW reaches out and pats him on the shoulder as if to say "it's going to be alright coach."  The look on Eddie's face was priceless. 

HawgWild

I remember when I first saw him play in the Great Alaskan Shootout tournament. He hadn't quite got the memo on how Sutton's team's played ball. It was clear he had talent but not the discipline of a Sutton player. That came with time and he is truly one of the Razorback greats.

Sed76

I was too young at the time to remember him playing for the Hogs but had the pleasure of meeting him at the charity game Corliss Williamson had in 2003. Very humble, talked to me and my dad for about 30 minutes after the game was over about everything from his days as a Hog to playing golf with Michael Jordan. Hope he does well on his new job.

porkinsons disease

He and Alvin Robertson gave other teams nightmares. Tenacious defenders. Good times
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

PonderinHog

He was a terror along the baseline.  One of my favorite memories was when he got a technical foul for smiling at the ref.  He didn't say a word.  Can't remember where that game was - maybe A & M.

FineAsSwine

This seems like starting at the bottom of the barrel. Nowhere to go but up. Good luck D. Walker.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: cypress rock on April 20, 2016, 04:52:36 pm
I am pretty sure that he graduated and I think Eddie Sutton was the one who presented him with his diploma. It was a December graduation

He did eventually graduate, but it was long after his playing days.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 21, 2016, 08:50:35 pm
He was a terror along the baseline.  One of my favorite memories was when he got a technical foul for smiling at the ref.  He didn't say a word.  Can't remember where that game was - maybe A & M.

I remember him punching a Texass player.....Barely.
Roberts, Reeder, or Robey was it?  Just can't remember the name.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: HawgWild on April 21, 2016, 04:01:18 pm
I remember when I first saw him play in the Great Alaskan Shootout tournament. He hadn't quite got the memo on how Sutton's team's played ball. It was clear he had talent but not the discipline of a Sutton player. That came with time and he is truly one of the Razorback greats.

I saw Darrell play when he was at Westark.  I went to a game because at the time I had a former high school classmate who had signed with the Hogs and had been sent to Westark for a year or two of seasoning before he was to join the Hogs.  He was a 6'4" guard.  I went to the Westark game to say hello to him and see how he was doing.  Well, he was doing just fine and played a good game, but there was this other 6'4" guard for Westark who stole the show that night.  He was CLEARLY the best player on the court - nobody could keep up with his quickness and I'll bet he had 10 steals that night.  Found out as the game progressed that it was Darrell Walker.  Needless to say, when the next year rolled around, Darrell was in Fayetteville and my buddy went to Lamar with Pat Foster.  In the end, it worked out for the best for both of them.  Darrell became the Darrell for the Hogs that we all knew and loved, and my buddy was All-Southland Conference for two years and made good money playing overseas after that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 21, 2016, 08:50:35 pm

Eddie liked for his guards to run the baseline. It was a part of his offensive sets.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: porkinsons disease on April 21, 2016, 05:12:47 pm
He and Alvin Robertson gave other teams nightmares. Tenacious defenders. Good times

That was my time at the U of A. My first 3 years were Darrell's years. And yeah, some great hoops in Barnhill back then.

As long has he was in the Association, as a player and an assistance coach, I figured he'd end up with a head coaching job there. But congrats anyway.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

jseinfeld50

April 24, 2016, 05:20:16 am #25 Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:42:21 am by jseinfeld50

Westark - good talent back then - Kelleybrew (Brian), Shepard (DeWayne), Mays (Glenn), Brown (Sherman), etc. Also another Skulman (Robbie) from Ozark.

oldfart

was that Greg Skulman who later played for the hogs?

jseinfeld50

April 24, 2016, 11:46:37 am #27 Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:15:16 pm by jseinfeld50
Quote from: oldfart on April 24, 2016, 10:28:22 am
was that Greg Skulman who later played for the hogs?

yep, Greg was at Westark 78-79 and Robbie followed later. Skulman got kind of left out late in his career because of the glut of similar size guys (Tony Brown, Peterson, and Friess) and sort of screwed as far at PT later in his career (by Counce (assist coach) who dissed him and Counce favored Friess - although they were different players and had different strengths - there were just so few positions available with all the talent and multiple combos of players).

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on April 24, 2016, 05:20:16 am
Westark - good talent back then - Kelleybrew (Brian), Shepard (DeWayne), Mays (Glenn), Brown (Sherman), etc. Also another Skulman (Robbie) from Ozark.

Kelleybrew was my classmate that I was talking about.  Super good guy.

1highhog

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on April 24, 2016, 11:46:37 am
yep, Greg was at Westark 78-79 and Robbie followed later. Skulman got kind of left out late in his career because of the glut of similar size guys (Tony Brown, Peterson, and Friess) and sort of screwed as far at PT later in his career (by Counce (assist coach) who dissed him and Counce favored Friess - although they were different players and had different strengths - there were just so few positions available with all the talent and multiple combos of players).

So many great memories with hearing these names being brought up.  Downtown Tony Brown, who remembers that nickname?

HawgWild

Quote from: 1highhog on April 27, 2016, 04:44:13 am
So many great memories with hearing these names being brought up.  Downtown Tony Brown, who remembers that nickname?

Didn't he get that name from a shot he made against A&M?  I saw him play in an NBA game out in Salt Lake City many years ago. He was with the Minnesota Timberwolves, I think it was.

1highhog

Yes, Paul sure would add some names to the players or he either found out what the other players on the team had given each other nicknames.  Rocket Crockett, was another.  How about when a player stepped up to the FT line, he eyes it, he skies it, and he buys it.  That may have come from somewhere else but Paul sure made use of it.

Inhogswetrust

I knew Tony back then. Last time I saw him was when the Mavs came to town to play the Memphis Grizzlies. Great guy. He had the best dunk I ever saw in Barnhill against TTU one year. Ironic you should mention him since both he and Darrell are from Chicago. I hope it all works out for him since the Nets hired someone else as coach.

SuperSid4Ever

Yeah, he had some of the nastiest dunks ever thrown down by a Razorbacks player.  One of the most electric & entertaining players we ever put on the floor.

If it ever came down to it, I really don't think I'd mind having him back here as coach.