Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thurman replacing Zimmerman

Started by hogcam, April 15, 2016, 06:20:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

I love Scotty, but he doesn't show much fire. I think that's what's missing.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hawg Red

Another thing I just thought about with Scotty is that he probably knows more than a few guys in the AAU circuit from his playing days. Seems like a lot of these former players around Scotty's age are involved in AAU. I'd be more concerned with Scotty relating to those high school and AAU coaches than I would the players (though I don't see an issue there because Scotty is a cool cat).

Scotty's not the hire I wanted, but at the same time, it's the kind of hire I expected if there was a change. And I'm somewhat excited to see what happens. I don't expect recruiting to take off, but I do expect it to improve.

Dr. Starcs

I knew the "no fire" argument would be brought up. Exactly how do you measure one's fire?

I'm sure we all want to win more than any of the coaches. Smh

Pretty sure Villanova just won a title with one of the "coolest" coaches in the game. He was even calm when they hit that 3.

WilsonHog

I'm glad to see Scotty get the opportunity.

jdlittle

Hope Scotty does well, more importantly hope hogs start improving.   We do not need to dwell on Todd Day,  dont think Memphis is vital to our existence and dont know how well he would be received.    Memphis is different and all in the circles know that.      Glad Memphis hired Tubby.     

Razorbackers

I understand shaking up the staff.

I don't understand shaking it up by replacing a coach who wasn't a recruiter with a guy that's never recruited before.

Zimm was a good coach, knew the system, and has a strong track record of player development.

Scotty was a great player, a good color commentator, and will hopefully be a good coach and recruiter.

This seems odd to me.

Sivad

Quote from: Otis on April 15, 2016, 11:37:19 pm
Kind of an odd transition don't you think? Going from play by play guy, not coaching, to now coaching? Is Rick Schaffer our next assistant?
The ole bear wrassler keeping us surprised.

HF#1

Who takes Thurman's place on the radio?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Captain Morgan

Kind of an odd transition don't you think? Going from play by play guy, not coaching, to now coaching? Why not promote Mayberry instead? Who's actually been helping coach. Is Rick Schaffer our next assistant?  I like Thurman, but this just seems like an odd move.
Chuck Barrett said he's interested in giving college basketball coaching a try I heard as well  ;)

Quote from: HF#1 on April 16, 2016, 02:23:10 pm
Who takes Thurman's place on the radio?

Might be Blake Eddins

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 16, 2016, 11:35:44 am
I'm glad to see Scotty get the opportunity.

Me too.  Great person.  But this raises the stakes as far as sentimental ties although Scotty was already on staff.  If it doesn't work, now we have one of our greats and most popular former players with which to cut ties.  Guess he is getting coaching experience at least. 

Kind of an odd transition don't you think? Going from play by play guy, not coaching, to now coaching? Why not promote Mayberry instead? Who's actually been helping coach. Is Rick Schaffer our next assistant?  I like Thurman, but this just seems like an odd move.

Scotty will relate well with recruits. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Drop the Mike

Risky move by Thurman imo. He's trading a color analyst job that he could have had for the next 20 years for a spot on a staff that is feeling the pressure of being fired

PorkRinds

Quote from: Drop the Mike on April 16, 2016, 04:26:42 pm
Risky move by Thurman imo. He's trading a color analyst job that he could have had for the next 20 years for a spot on a staff that is feeling the pressure of being fired

I'm sure Scotty Thurman would have trouble getting another color analyst gig at Arkansas if he gets fired. Said no one ever.

husker71

what business are you in where you never had to fire or demote anyone??? 

Knot2brite

Thurman coming in is a good thing. Zimmerman being the one gone isn't...there is some dead weight on that staff...we all know who it is....changes were made to make the masses happy...in actuality...not much changed except who the color analyst will be on game night
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Otis

We need a token white coach now to relate to the white players.

wheelspigharvey

Maybe they just need someone to help these guys learn how to get the ball in the hoop.  Next year we have what four guys who are expected to score at a high rate (Mo, Hannahs, Barford, Macon)? That's the most we've ever had at one time with Anderson isn't it?

hogwood

I am pretty interested to see who Scotty gets assigned to in recruiting. I bet he gets on all the Louisiana kids. If he can make an impact in recruiting this is a good hire. Zimmerman will still be coaching in practice. He never made much noise on the recruiting trail.

If another replacement is made I would like to see Todd Day come on board in some way.

HogBreath

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2016, 04:42:17 pm
I'm sure Scotty Thurman would have trouble getting another color analyst gig at Arkansas if he gets fired. Said no one ever.
What would become of the guy doing the color analyst job when Scotty was fired?  He'd just be SOL?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

RaisinHog

Quote from: Otis on April 16, 2016, 07:33:41 pm
We need a token white coach now to relate to the white players.

What white players?

P.s idc what color our player are just want to win... But I couldn't resist lol

nwahogfan1

I am willing to see if this move will work but I am curious how long Mike gets to turn our bb program around?  I bet Jeff Long and some boasters are putting the pressure on.

Dr. Starcs

What are they boasting about?

In all seriousness, I think this could be a make or break year for CMA.

Porked Tongue

April 17, 2016, 04:26:25 pm #71 Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:37:46 pm by Porked Tongue
I stated back in Dec I'd heard JL was not 100% pleased with the progress in all areas.  Most wanted to dismiss it that MA was still on a hall pass.

I posted to say the accountability factor for all facets of the program were now being scrutinized. 

My belief is the inability to have a full roster of legitimate players each year became noticeable and when combined with what was going to be a down year it showed poor management and planning for a seasoned staff.

As an AD, how can you fully excuse a poor season and headcount issues?  Mike has had a full staff every year and yet he can't produce a full roster.

Personally, I've been disgusted at our overall roster.  As I said previously, the JUCO route is a shrewd way for this staff to subsidize their failures with high school players.  They pretty much HAD to go this way.  I give them full credit for apparently grabbing a few good JUCO players but it's a short term solution to a long term problem.  JUCO's can subsidize your roster but not be your bell cow.

To that end, I do think the pressure is on to recruit better.  Whether JL hinted or implied or ordered a change is really immaterial.  Something had to be done.

Now we'll see if it helps.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 17, 2016, 04:26:25 pm
I stated back in Dec I'd heard JL was not 100% pleased with the progress in all areas.  Most wanted to dismiss it that MA was still on a hall pass.

I posted to say the accountability factor for all facets of the program were now being scrutinized. 

My belief is the inability to have a full roster of legitimate players each year became noticeable and when combined with what was going to be a down year it showed poor management and planning for a seasoned staff.

As an AD, how can you fully excuse a poor season and headcount issues?  Mike has had a full staff every year and yet he can't produce a full roster.

Personally, I've been disgusted at our overall roster.  As I said previously, the JUCO route is a shrewd way for this staff to subsidize their failures with high school players.  They pretty much HAD to go this way.  I give them full credit for apparently grabbing a few good JUCO players but it's a short term solution to a long term problem.  JUCO's can subsidize your roster but not be your bell cow.

To that end, I do think the pressure is on to recruit better.  Whether JL hinted or implied or ordered a change is really immaterial.  Something had to be done.

Now we'll see if it helps.

Good post.  I think Jeff and boosters are getting impatient.  There should be no reason why Mike cannot get us back to being a top 25 program again and maintain it there.   

I think this next year must be a good year with 22+ wins plus have a very good recruiting class so it looks like we are building something up there.

I also think it would help a lot if Mike would hire a PA guy who can keep the positive news coming.  This would help in recruiting and in ticket sales.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2016, 04:42:17 pm

Really?! I'll bet the guy who takes his place might say that. Especially if it's an ex-player like eddins

HogBreath

Quote from: nwahogfan1 link=topicquote author=nwahogfan1 link=topic=611518.msg10273687#msg10273687 date=1460930126]

I also think it would help a lot if Mike would hire a PA guy who can keep the positive news coming. 

There's a number of posters on here who would seem well suited to this gig.

Probably not Sivad or Hogsanity, although both have their strong points..Hawg Advocate appears sharp & well spoken, but he's likely not the right guy either.

Hoops might be the right choice.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

jjdlc

Quote from: 40MINSOFPUKE on April 15, 2016, 10:21:44 pm
First, I hate message boards and talk radio as you might be able to see by my last post probably years ago.

I'm really not concerned with anyone's opinion on here.  I have no ill will towards Scotty Thurman.  All he did was accept a job that most people in his place certainly would.  Up until April 15th 2016 I've been in the very small minority of Mike Anderson defenders for 14 YEARS!!!  I can certainly see where any and all delusional fans out there would think firing a guy that's been with you for 14 years at the college level and has 20+ years of coaching experience should be replaced by hiring a guy who has not coached, recruited or ran a drill one day in his entire life would be a fabulous idea... (It's just the world we live in now)

I couldn't be more disappointed in Mike Anderson for making this man his "excuse" for the last year. 

I am officially retiring for defending Mike Anderson.  Hard to support a guy that throws another man under the bus.  I guess the old adage is true.  Pressure does bust pipes.

While I'm not happy with this move for a myriad of reasons, I just dont see this as throwing Coach Z under the bus.  If they were throwing him under the bus, he would no longer be an employee of the U of A.  For all we know, Coach Z was tired of recruiting, traveling, whatever, and just wanted to concentrate on the other aspects of his job.

Who knows if Scotty will be a good recruiter or not, I would rather have seen us go out and hire a proven guy, but whatever, it's CMA's job on the line if it doesn't work.

Nipsey Mussle

The folks condemning MA for "blaming Zimmerman" with this move are completely ridiculous.

HogBreath

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 18, 2016, 12:28:56 am
The folks condemning MA for "blaming Zimmerman" with this move are completely ridiculous.
Really???  The head coach doesn't have anything to do with an assistant getting fired?

Really???  Are you certain??

jjdlc

Quote from: HogBreath on April 18, 2016, 04:35:35 am
Really???  The head coach doesn't have anything to do with an assistant getting fired?

Really???  Are you certain??

He wasn't fired...

Pork Twain

April 18, 2016, 07:08:43 am #79 Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:51:53 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: RazorPiggie on April 15, 2016, 09:02:53 pm
Come on Mike. Just have the balls to fire someone or help them find a new gig and bring someone in that knows what they are doing when it comes to recruiting.
Mike is the black HDN.

This is a good first move but there needs to be some actual shakeup on this staff, as in coaches moving on to different schools.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

RealHog

April 18, 2016, 07:43:12 am #80 Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:00:10 am by RealHog
Coach Bielema is getting recruits that have been offered by the blue bloods of CFB (AL, LSU, etc.) and getting former head coaches and NFL assistants to join his staff. Coach Anderson just hired our former player/color guy that spends games 20 foot away from him already. Screams desperation and poor planning. It would be like Bielema hiring Matt Jones to an important assistant job. Love the player, but when did he become a coach, or know what it takes to recruit players away from other big name programs? I hope Anderson knows what he doing.

FineAsSwine

This hire is a hit with me. Scotty will be a great addition to the staff.
Hogs up! Covid down!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: RealHog on April 18, 2016, 07:43:12 am
Coach Bielema is getting recruits that have been offered by the blue bloods of CFB (AL, LSU, etc.) and getting former head coaches and NFL assistants to join his staff. Coach Anderson just hired our former player/color guy that spends games 20 foot away from him already. Screams desperation and poor planning. It would be like Bielema hiring Matt Jones to an important assistant job. Love the player, but when did he become a coach, or know what it takes to recruit players away from other big name programs? I hope Anderson knows what he doing.

Great points.  Scotty has to work fast because I think Mike is on a short leash to get his program turned around and show he can maintain it.  We need to recruit Arkansas better and cherry pick around the country.  We don't want a program that is making a run at the top of the SEC every 4 or 5 years.  We want to be in the running for one of the top 3 spots of the SEC every year.

DeltaBoy

Good Move by Mike Anderson.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Why does anyone think Thurman is going to be some recruiting dynamo? Outside of Ruston, LA and the state of AR he has been out of the spotlight for over 2 decades, and is now supposedly going to be a recruiting upgrade on a staff that has a poor recruiting record as a whole.

Just looks like yet another nostalgia grab to me.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SONofHAM

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2016, 08:56:18 am
Why does anyone think Thurman is going to be some recruiting dynamo? Outside of Ruston, LA and the state of AR he has been out of the spotlight for over 2 decades, and is now supposedly going to be a recruiting upgrade on a staff that has a poor recruiting record as a whole.

I would agree with most of this.  This move doesn't give me any more confidence for the future.  This move seems like it should be a slight upgrade but I still don't see us in the postseason next year. 
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

husker71

I just left the Memphis board to see who he (Tubby) is getting for assistant coaches and the same talk is going on over there with Penny Hardaway.  A bunch of them think Penny could get alot of the good players out of the Memphis area while others say " hey this guys is rich and has a great life why would he want to get into the grind of a asst coach"  Not the same situation  as Scotty but a whole lot of people want a former player.  Tubby just hired his long time asst Pooh Williamson

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2016, 08:56:18 am

Completely negative, content-free take from you. You know nothing of what Thurman has been doing in basketball, do you? People want to gouge out your eyes because of your incessantly negative spin on everything.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 18, 2016, 10:23:59 am
Completely negative, content-free take from you. You know nothing of what Thurman has been doing in basketball, do you? People want to gouge out your eyes because of your incessantly negative spin on everything.

What content is there in regards to being a college assistant coach? He played in many different foreign leagues, and was a pretty good at it. Came back to the states and started into private business before being hired by the University of Arkansas. Has never held a college coaching job before this one. At 41 years old, and after being the radio color analyst for the radio broadcasts, he is now one of the assistants on the basketball version of the Titanic.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: husker71 on April 18, 2016, 10:18:21 am
I just left the Memphis board to see who he (Tubby) is getting for assistant coaches and the same talk is going on over there with Penny Hardaway.  A bunch of them think Penny could get alot of the good players out of the Memphis area while others say " hey this guys is rich and has a great life why would he want to get into the grind of a asst coach"  Not the same situation  as Scotty but a whole lot of people want a former player.  Tubby just hired his long time asst Pooh Williamson

A tale of the tape:

Penny still somehow has his own brand of Nike shoes (and thus a strong Nike connection), the Air Penny. He's been involved in AAU basketball (Team Penny) for a long time, and of course he's practically a hero in a city that usually produces high-end DI talent each and every year. A portion of Memphis fans actually wanted him to replace Pastner as coach.

Thurman has been on campus, working for Razorback Basketball, for nearly six years now. Assuming his promotion was given in order to elevate recruiting, since Coach Z is/was the drill sergeant of the staff, I'm not entirely sure how much of an impact he's going to make. Certainly, he should have a more direct responsibility/role in building stronger relationships with recruiting targets. Any connections to AAU/prep programs have been there all along though, over the past six years. I'm not asking anyone in particular, but I wonder was he restricted by the same NCAA recruiting guidelines that the coaching staff adhered to, prior to his promotion, when he served as 'Director of Student-Athlete Development?' Was Scotty not allowed to board the plane when the staff would take off to scout various parts of the country in years passed? Could he not speak to recruits at/after tournament play (when contact was permitted)?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I expect there will be something good come from this, eventually, but Scotty's promotion to assistant certainly shouldn't be expected to have the same level of impact that Memphis' potential hiring of Penny would.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 18, 2016, 11:03:12 am
A tale of the tape:

Penny still (somehow) has his own brand of Nike shoes, the Air Penny. He's been involved in AAU basketball (Team Penny) for a long time, and of course he's practically a hero in a city that usually produces high-end DI talent each and every year. A portion of Memphis fans actually wanted him to replace Pastner as coach.

Thurman has been on campus, working for Razorback Basketball, for nearly six years now. Assuming his promotion was given in order to elevate recruiting, since Coach Z is/was the drill sergeant of the staff, I'm not entirely sure how much of an impact he's going to make. Certainly, he should have a more direct responsibility/role in building stronger relationships with recruiting targets. Any connections to AAU/prep programs have been there all along though, over the past six years. I'm not asking anyone in particular, but I wonder was he restricted by the same NCAA recruiting guidelines that the coaching staff adhered to, prior to his promotion, when he served as 'Director of Student-Athlete Development?' Was Scotty not allowed to board the plane when the staff would take off to scout various parts of the country in years passed? Could he not speak to recruits at/after tournament play (when contact was permitted)?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I expect there will be something good come from this, eventually, but Scotty's promotion to assistant certainly shouldn't be expected to have the same level of impact that Memphis' potential hiring of Penny would.
Answer to one of your questions is that Scotty was not allowed to recruit. It wasn't a CMA didn't allow him to, but the NCAA did not allow him to. I would have to try and find the actual written rules behind it, but he was not allowed to recruit kids for the University of Arkansas. Now could he have done some things on the side? Maybe, I'm sure there is a grey area to that, but at he for sure could not go on recruiting trips.

Kevin

the only recruiting scotty officially could do was on campus recruiting. He could be there when a recruit was on campus.

for those that think this is a great hire, give some reasons? his resume looks pretty bare to me
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Swinesong1

Quote from: RealHog on April 18, 2016, 07:43:12 am
How is that working record wise?  Championships?  Major bowls?

Kevin

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 18, 2016, 11:20:49 am
How is that working record wise?  Championships?  Major bowls?

would you like to compare the competition between football & basketball in the sec? of course not.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 18, 2016, 07:08:43 am
Mike is the black HDN.

This is a good first move but there needs to be some actual shakeup on this staff, as in coaches moving on to different schools.

Still waiting for a sprig from the Anderson branch of the Nolan shrub. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on April 18, 2016, 11:23:24 am
would you like to compare the competition between football & basketball in the sec? of course not.

Why do they keep trying to compare football and basketball?

Kevin

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2016, 11:25:45 am

he doesn't like cbb

can we compare the hog basketball program overall to the hog baseball program under dvh (excluding this year)

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2016, 11:25:45 am

Likely so as to get the thread sent away to V&R.

Let's not play that irrelevant game anymore.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin on April 18, 2016, 11:23:24 am
AS long as we can all agree that making a bowl game is not even remotely the same as making the NCAAT as many have tried to argue. The SEC is a tough conference in football no doubt. But high school football in the south is much better than high school basketball in the south. Exactly why you see on average better competition out of conferences like the A10, Big 10, and ACC. The east, and northeast are loaded with basketball talent where as they are not loaded with football talent. Shouldn't be a shock to see your better conferences are placed where the better regional talent comes from.

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin on April 18, 2016, 11:13:24 am
the only recruiting scotty officially could do was on campus recruiting. He could be there when a recruit was on campus.

for those that think this is a great hire, give some reasons? his resume looks pretty bare to me
Can't say why it's a good hire, also can't give a reason why it's bad and neither can you. That goes for any new addition on any staff. I think you have to let it play out and see. I think there's a chance if it is a great hire, that you see some benefits right away. If it's bad, we will know over the next couple years (that's even if CMA is here that long). All I know is people have bitched and moaned for a change and mostly with Coach Z needing to be replaced. That happens and the same people are still bitching without giving it any time whatsoever.