Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thurman replacing Zimmerman

Started by hogcam, April 15, 2016, 06:20:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 18, 2016, 12:43:20 pm
Yes because we did not want what we currently have.
So what are we arguing about? You have your reasons, I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with those. They are your opinion. But when you say WTH am I talking about, and then you agree with it, I think I know what the hell I'm talking about.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 18, 2016, 12:47:14 pm
We've never been more familiar with a coach before he was hired to be head coach and the hire was personal to so many.  Opinions were going to be strong from the beginning.
Okay, really don't care the reason why. Point remains that there was stronger opposition to him being the head coach over any other hire. Whether the reasons were good, bad, really don't care. It wasn't an even playing field.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2016, 12:47:35 pm
Yes, the basketball game at Starkville was a debacle.
As was the MSU football game in Fayetteville.

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin on April 18, 2016, 12:48:00 pm
I think the opposition to cma was very small. I would say it is still very small
I think you have your head in the sand. Opposition is not small today, and for good reason.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on April 18, 2016, 12:49:33 pm
As was the MSU football game in Fayetteville.

YEs losing by 1 to a team that went 9-4 and you went 8-5 is exactly the same as losing by 32 to a team that went 14-17 (7-11) when you went 16-16 (9-9), yes exactly the same....lol
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

Quote from: azhog10 on April 18, 2016, 12:48:05 pm
So what are we arguing about? You have your reasons, I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with those. They are your opinion. But when you say WTH am I talking about, and then you agree with it, I think I know what the hell I'm talking about.
Because people that feel like me have been the minority since the hire was made.  Most wanted/demanded him and to indicate anything else is insincere.  Obviously you do not know what you are talking about if you think MA was unwanted from the beginning by most.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: azhog10 on April 18, 2016, 12:50:32 pm
I think you have your head in the sand. Opposition is not small today, and for good reason.
But it wasn't that way from the beginning, as you said.

Quote from: azhog10 on April 18, 2016, 12:11:03 pm
That they are, but I'm talking about acceptance. CMA was never accepted from the day he was hired. CBB was, therefore you are willing to "tolerate" more with one than the other because you have some emotional investment to it. For CMA it's a lot of hate and discontent and even when he was winning people still hated him and wanted him gone.
Not buying this even a little.  Even I supported him the first few years.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Kevin

Quote from: azhog10 on April 18, 2016, 12:50:32 pm

if you walked down the street in say fort smith, and ask their opinion of cma & the program, you think most would be unhappy with the job he has done?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pork Twain

Quote from: Kevin on April 18, 2016, 01:13:48 pm
if you walked down the street in say fort smith, and ask their opinion of cma & the program, you think most would be unhappy with the job he has done?
Agreed, because Hogville would be an awful way to gauge support or displeasure of a coach or AD.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2016, 10:51:47 am
What content is there in regards to being a college assistant coach? He played in many different foreign leagues, and was a pretty good at it. Came back to the states and started into private business before being hired by the University of Arkansas. Has never held a college coaching job before this one. At 41 years old, and after being the radio color analyst for the radio broadcasts, he is now one of the assistants on the basketball version of the Titanic.

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on April 18, 2016, 01:13:48 pm

Well, I was at a baseball tournament over the weekend and I can tell you that no one there was happy with Mike. It came up quite a bit Friday night and Sat since the Thurman news had just come out.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2016, 02:19:03 pm
Well, I was at a baseball tournament over the weekend and I can tell you that no one there was happy with Mike. It came up quite a bit Friday night and Sat since the Thurman news had just come out.

So you went around and talked to everyone there about how bad mike is? I bet you were the life of the party

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 18, 2016, 02:21:11 pm
So you went around and talked to everyone there about how bad mike is? I bet you were the life of the party

Not hardly, but in the umpire room we talked about it, and also around the tournament directors room. Probably 15-20 umpires and tournament officials.

ArkansasI

I think most people that donate to the foundation are pretty frustrated with the state of the basketball program - you might say they've about given' up hope.  The program is about dead now, and I think it is safe to say many believe someone new will have to come to Arkansas to revive the men's basketball program.

I think many Razorback fans believed Mike was given the job because there seemed to be few alternatives.  The money folks knew him from his tenure on the Hill, they like him, and wanted to complete the healing process that was left over from the nuclear meltdown that occurred when Nolan was fired.  It didn't hurt that Mike was the head coach at Missouri, either.

Mike also brings a relationship that is far more difficult to sever.  The risk we had in hiring him is playing true.  Hiring Scotty Thurman as an assistant coach won't make a change any easier...

Ask yourself, "Would Mike Anderson have ever been the Head Coach at Arkansas if he had not been an assistant to Nolan Richardson for 17 years?"  I know that is ridiculous... how can those attributes be denied?  I just doubt Arkansas would have hired Mike based upon his head coaching accomplishments.

Still, in my mind, Mike was hired dued to nepotism.  He is Razorback family.  If you don't think he is, then you weren't a Razorback fan 20-30 years ago.  That make a move away from Mike that much more difficult.

I hope we don't have to...  but through the 2015-16 season, it aint lookin' good.

Hawg Red

I don't know if Mike can survive the wrath of the little league umpires.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2016, 12:54:53 pm
YEs losing by 1 to a team that went 9-4 and you went 8-5 is exactly the same as losing by 32 to a team that went 14-17 (7-11) when you went 16-16 (9-9), yes exactly the same....lol
That's quite a stretch isn't it?  Not even sorta, kinda remotely the same.  Sheesh.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 18, 2016, 02:29:16 pm
I think most people that donate to the foundation are pretty frustrated with the state of the basketball program - you might say they've about given' up hope.  The program is about dead now, and I think it is safe to say many believe someone new will have to come to Arkansas to revive the men's basketball program.

I think many Razorback fans believed Mike was given the job because there seemed to be few alternatives.  The money folks knew him from his tenure on the Hill, they like him, and wanted to complete the healing process that was left over from the nuclear meltdown that occurred when Nolan was fired.  It didn't hurt that Mike was the head coach at Missouri, either.

Mike also brings a relationship that is far more difficult to sever.  The risk we had in hiring him is playing true.  Hiring Scotty Thurman as an assistant coach won't make a change any easier...

Ask yourself, "Would Mike Anderson have ever been the Head Coach at Arkansas if he had not been an assistant to Nolan Richardson for 17 years?"  I know that is ridiculous... how can those attributes be denied?  I just doubt Arkansas would have hired Mike based upon his head coaching accomplishments.

Still, in my mind, Mike was hired dued to nepotism.  He is Razorback family.  If you don't think he is, then you weren't a Razorback fan 20-30 years ago.  That make a move away from Mike that much more difficult.

I hope we don't have to...  but through the 2015-16 season, it aint lookin' good.

Mike's resume certainly made him qualified for the job.  He was a somewhat "hot" name in coaching both while at UAB and after the E8 run.  Mizzou fans had grown frustrated with the rumors like with Oregon and Georgia.  His resume was more accomplished at the college level than Eddie's or Nolan's.  The questions IMO more revolve around things like would he have taken the Arkansas job without the connection, what directions would our program had gone if we didn't have the anchor of his existence out there with his ties to our past and how he was doing at Mizzou.

To tie it back in to the topic, I agree making Scotty an asst won't make cutting ties easier if it comes to it.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

surprised to hear about more people jumping off the bandwagon
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: azhog10 on April 18, 2016, 12:11:03 pm
CMA was never accepted from the day he was hired.
Talk about re-writing history!
Anderson (after having his hire DEMANDED) was welcomed "home" like the second coming, celebrated in the media, paid a giant salary and the toast of the town while fans bathed in an orgy of nostalgia for the glorious return of 40 Minutes of Hell, 1994 and "Hawgball".
No Arkansas coaching hire has ever received the welcome and good will Anderson received.

Knot2brite

After reading all this about how that poor ole CMA has been mistreated ...I want to throw this out there ...while I really don't mind the hire of Thurman ...this just fits the same ole same ole that MA does. He didn't go out and actually look for a young up and comer assistant..instead he went with a guy that he has know for literally 20 plus years. He recruits kids that he knows their families or has ties to them personally ( now that is a bit of a stretch because I know there are some that He had no ties to but many he does) and he gets those kids because of his relationships and his past. The thought of stepping outside the box and getting someone in here that might induce a change other than way it has always been done is just not going to happen....
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Dr. Starcs

Here we go again.

Tearing down our own coaches to prop others up.

Are we not better than this?

azhog10

Quote from: HogBreath on April 18, 2016, 02:31:01 pm
That's quite a stretch isn't it?  Not even sorta, kinda remotely the same.  Sheesh.
It's more than a stretch, I'll agree. But I think we had that game in hand if we have 6, not 3 in mind. At least it was a game the whole way through. But I've heard on here many times a loss is a loss.....

azhog10

Quote from: Knot2brite on April 18, 2016, 03:31:03 pm
After reading all this about how that poor ole CMA has been mistreated ...I want to throw this out there ...while I really don't mind the hire of Thurman ...this just fits the same ole same ole that MA does. He didn't go out and actually look for a young up and comer assistant..instead he went with a guy that he has know for literally 20 plus years. He recruits kids that he knows their families or has ties to them personally ( now that is a bit of a stretch because I know there are some that He had no ties to but many he does) and he gets those kids because of his relationships and his past. The thought of stepping outside the box and getting someone in here that might induce a change other than way it has always been done is just not going to happen....
I don't feel bad for him. Unfortunate maybe, but he's being compensated very nicely, and ultimately he either wins and has the success Jeff Long expects or he's fired. I'd say he's in a make or break season.

HogBreath

Quote from: azhog10 on April 18, 2016, 04:01:06 pm
It's more than a stretch, I'll agree. But I think we had that game in hand if we have 6, not 3 in mind. At least it was a game the whole way through. But I've heard on here many times a loss is a loss.....
Thank you for agreeing. 

Back in the day, I can recall an AZ Hog who was one of my favorite posters.

And yes, a loss is a loss..but that basketball game in Starkville was just flat out terrible.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

RedRock

I wonder how posts in jump ball will be this time next year.

Porked Tongue

April 18, 2016, 06:47:31 pm #175 Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:53:06 pm by Porked Tongue
I tried to read the tangent conversation but it grew tiresome.

Thurman and Zimmerman success or failure is independent of other sports and their situations.  I also think some of the more vocale MA non-fans are a bit overboard.  New, young, experienced or fresh will always draw some criticism.

I look at it two ways:
1. This move seems better than making no move.
2. This move might not be enough but I'm not dissing it on spec. I'll wait it out.

rude1

I said weeks ago when there was discussion about staff changes that "if" CMA did make a staff change, I wouldn't expect that he would look outside his circle to make the change., This is just about what I would expect from him, never going to reach outside his comfort zone to improve the program. Scotty may or may not help the staff, but my one glaring question is, "Scotty has been around the program every since the staff got here, they have struggled recruiting every since they got here, if Scotty was this untapped source to better recruiting, why did it take this long to get him on staff"? Color me unimpressed, and IMO this was done for just the appearance of "shaking things up".

ArkansasI

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 18, 2016, 02:47:47 pm
Mike's resume certainly made him qualified for the job.  He was a somewhat "hot" name in coaching both while at UAB and after the E8 run.  Mizzou fans had grown frustrated with the rumors like with Oregon and Georgia.  His resume was more accomplished at the college level than Eddie's or Nolan's.  The questions IMO more revolve around things like would he have taken the Arkansas job without the connection, what directions would our program had gone if we didn't have the anchor of his existence out there with his ties to our past and how he was doing at Mizzou.

To tie it back in to the topic, I agree making Scotty an asst won't make cutting ties easier if it comes to it.
I know Mike was qualified for the job, but I don't recall much national chatter around his name at the time of his hire. He'd never been anywhere long enough to develop a reputation for being a program sustainer.

Not sure I agree with your sense of accomplishment. Mike has nothing to be ashamed of - he's enjoying a fine career. But Nolan and Eddie were their own men - geez, Nolan was a polka dot movement. Mike was a Nolan protege that did not land a head coaching job until his home town caught him from the post-Nolan freefall. Nolan wouldn't have sat second or third fiddle for 17 years. Eddie started at a lower job and earned his way up.

I have a tough time criticizing Mike for hanging with Nolan.  The pay was good and he had job security. It would have been tough to leave without a great offer.

Mizzou fans may have been frustrated with job rumors, but I think they were more tired of not competing for conference titles. Mizzou was never in contention for a Big 12, and part of me believed Mike saw Arkansas as a way to get into a less competitive conference. Coming home was icing on the cake.

We probably agree about this thing. True Hog fans want Mike to get it done. The concern is whether he can. Stan and John were let go after similar records.

Porked Tongue

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 18, 2016, 09:51:18 pm
I know Mike was qualified for the job, but I don't recall much national chatter around his name at the time of his hire. He'd never been anywhere long enough to develop a reputation for being a program sustainer.

Not sure I agree with your sense of accomplishment. Mike has nothing to be ashamed of - he's enjoying a fine career. But Nolan and Eddie were their own men - geez, Nolan was a polka dot movement. Mike was a Nolan protege that did not land a head coaching job until his home town caught him from the post-Nolan freefall. Nolan wouldn't have sat second or third fiddle for 17 years. Eddie started at a lower job and earned his way up.

I have a tough time criticizing Mike for hanging with Nolan.  The pay was good and he had job security. It would have been tough to leave without a great offer.

Mizzou fans may have been frustrated with job rumors, but I think they were more tired of not competing for conference titles. Mizzou was never in contention for a Big 12, and part of me believed Mike saw Arkansas as a way to get into a less competitive conference. Coming home was icing on the cake.

We probably agree about this thing. True Hog fans want Mike to get it done. The concern is whether he can. Stan and John were let go after similar records.

National chatter is subjective.  Chatter existed though for Mike and other jobs including the two I mentioned.

What sense of accomplishment?

Eddie had 5 seasons of head coaching experience with one NCAA appearance and 4 14/15 win seasons.

Nolan had 5 seasons with an NIT Ch and 3 trips to the NCAAT.

Mike 9 seasons, 6 NCAAT with a Sw 16 and E8.  He was the most accomplished at the time of his hiring.  Nothing more is being said here.  Not talking about personalities or innovation or looking back in hindsight as what was accomplished after hiring. 

Mike couldn't get hired as a head coach till Nolan was fired.

Few people give a darn in college basketball about conference championships.  Mizzou fans did grow frustrated with their inconsistent play, blowout losses and not competing with KU along with Mike's flirtations with other jobs.  I don't think he would have stayed at Mizzou either.  He certainly wasn't recruiting like it or planning the roster very well.

No darn that is the concern.

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 18, 2016, 02:29:16 pm
I just doubt Arkansas would have hired Mike based upon his head coaching accomplishments.

Why?  You agree his resume suggested he was qualified for the job.  Our program's hiring history suggests his resume was as accomplished as any coach we have hired (and I'm not considering Heath or Pel but you could include Altman).  So why would we have not hired him if he had been interested after Pel was fired? (and of course no ties to us)

He does have the ties of course and we did have to hire him. 

http://www.kmov.com/story/28453152/espn-georgia-offers-head-coaching-job-to-mizzous-coach-anderson

"Anderson is also believed to be a candidate for the Memphis job if Coach John Calipari takes the head coaching job at Kentucky."

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/mike-anderson-meets-with-oregon/article_c4a720b6-960a-5d5f-896c-b245b9d237d2.html

"Mike Anderson met with former Oregon Athletic Director Pat Kilkenny last night in El Paso, Texas, to discuss the Ducks' vacant head-coaching position, according to a report in The Oregonian."
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Mick Hogger

Maybe when Thurman took the non-coaching role he did, the plan all along was to develop him into an assistant. I'm glad he wants to do more with the program than just follow the team around doing radio commentary. He's a huge part of that banner hanging in the corner and he loves this program. Hopefully he can sell that. He'll be wearing his ring on his visits just like everybody else does.  It's better than spinning our wheels.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 18, 2016, 10:22:51 pm
National chatter is subjective.  Chatter existed though for Mike and other jobs including the two I mentioned.

What sense of accomplishment?

Eddie had 5 seasons of head coaching experience with one NCAA appearance and 4 14/15 win seasons.

Nolan had 5 seasons with an NIT Ch and 3 trips to the NCAAT.

Mike 9 seasons, 6 NCAAT with a Sw 16 and E8.  He was the most accomplished at the time of his hiring.  Nothing more is being said here.  Not talking about personalities or innovation or looking back in hindsight as what was accomplished after hiring. 

Mike couldn't get hired as a head coach till Nolan was fired.

Few people give a darn in college basketball about conference championships.  Mizzou fans did grow frustrated with their inconsistent play, blowout losses and not competing with KU along with Mike's flirtations with other jobs.  I don't think he would have stayed at Mizzou either.  He certainly wasn't recruiting like it or planning the roster very well.

No darn that is the concern.

Why?  You agree his resume suggested he was qualified for the job.  Our program's hiring history suggests his resume was as accomplished as any coach we have hired (and I'm not considering Heath or Pel but you could include Altman).  So why would we have not hired him if he had been interested after Pel was fired? (and of course no ties to us)

He does have the ties of course and we did have to hire him. 

http://www.kmov.com/story/28453152/espn-georgia-offers-head-coaching-job-to-mizzous-coach-anderson

"Anderson is also believed to be a candidate for the Memphis job if Coach John Calipari takes the head coaching job at Kentucky."

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/mike-anderson-meets-with-oregon/article_c4a720b6-960a-5d5f-896c-b245b9d237d2.html

"Mike Anderson met with former Oregon Athletic Director Pat Kilkenny last night in El Paso, Texas, to discuss the Ducks' vacant head-coaching position, according to a report in The Oregonian."
I believe, perhaps wrongly, that you are taking issue with my opinion just to be argumentative. That's fine... I enjoy your posts, but am having a tough time climbing on board with your thoughts.

Why couldn't Mike get hired before Nolan was fired?  Scott Edgar did. Andy Stoglin did. Perhaps Mike considered himself the head coach in waiting... But is that the type personality a man must have to build a championship program?  Where is the sense of urgency to prove himself?

The chatter you refer to may have once existed, but it was silent when we hired Mike.  Oregon never seemed like the right fit. Can't imagine Mike further West than Tulsa. I think he felt a little too far North at Mizzou. If you asked me, Mike was crazy not to take the Georgia job. It seemed clear Mike wasn't too happy in Columbia - something, perhaps his players, prevented him from moving to Athens.

Aside from my general familiarity with Mike and belief that he was not able to keep the Hogs competitively elite as Nolan lost drive, I questioned if Mike was the right hire because there was no energy around the Mizzou program when we came calling. Mizzou has very good basketball fans, and their absence from Mizzou Arena was not a good sign that Mike was going to light things up in Fayetteville.

Of course, I had hope. I smiled as I listened to his press conference on the radio. But I never had high expectations of Mike. My disappointment has been that he hasn't surprised me, and has proven worse at roster management than I imagined.

Many men are qualified to be our head basketball coach. But it will take a rare man to lead us back to national relevance. Mike is unique. But I do not see him as a rare talent.

I hope he assembles a helluva group next fall and proves me wrong.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HogBreath on April 18, 2016, 04:35:35 am
Really???  The head coach doesn't have anything to do with an assistant getting fired?

Really???  Are you certain??
Are you certain that you can read?

Never said it wasn't Anderson's decision to let Zimmerman go. I'm saying that condemning him and creating the narrative of blaming Coach Z is pretty lame.
Just so I"m clear on this: MA leaves his staff the same would mean he's too stubborn, right? MA fires Coach Z and thus he's blaming him and shouldn't have done that, right?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 18, 2016, 06:47:31 pm

Thurman and Zimmerman success or failure is independent of other sports and their situations.  I also think some of the more vocale MA non-fans are a bit overboard.  New, young, experienced or fresh will always draw some criticism.

I look at it two ways:
2. This move might not be enough but I'm not dissing it on spec. I'll wait it out.
Mike is really reminding me of HDN when it comes to his dedication to his assistants.

HogBreath

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 19, 2016, 12:04:39 am

MA leaves his staff the same would mean he's too stubborn, right? MA fires Coach Z and thus he's blaming him and shouldn't have done that, right?

Lol....wrong on both counts.

razoredge178

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 18, 2016, 06:47:31 pm

I look at it two ways:

Bo hit the nail yesterday on this. Is Scotty a perfectly fine candidate for A coaching gig? Probably. Is he a good candidate to move the needle on CMA's staff? Probably not.

It's straight up a puzzling, confusing move. What sucks for Scotty is he won't have the radio gig to fall back on when Jeff Long fires CMA next year. I'm not real sure it was a good move on his part, although I know he wants it badly.

root_hawg

Zimmerman has more years of coaching and recruiting while Scotty is a legend in hog fans' minds with 0 experience coaching so this hire might take some of the heat off of MA if he has a subpar year next year.

razoredge178

Quote from: root_hawg on April 19, 2016, 11:51:00 am
Zimmerman has more years of coaching and recruiting while Scotty is a legend in hog fans' minds with 0 experience coaching so this hire might take some of the heat off of MA if he has a subpar year next year.

Probably the opposite. All the heat will remain on CMA short of him hiring Coach K as his assistant. If anything the Scotty move tells Jeff Long that even when the going gets rough, CMA is going to hire someone in his personal circle above going out and hiring a qualified candidate in the targeted pay range and desired skill set.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 18, 2016, 11:24:36 pm
I believe, perhaps wrongly, that you are taking issue with my opinion just to be argumentative. That's fine... I enjoy your posts, but am having a tough time climbing on board with your thoughts.

Why couldn't Mike get hired before Nolan was fired?  Scott Edgar did. Andy Stoglin did. Perhaps Mike considered himself the head coach in waiting... But is that the type personality a man must have to build a championship program?  Where is the sense of urgency to prove himself?

The chatter you refer to may have once existed, but it was silent when we hired Mike.  Oregon never seemed like the right fit. Can't imagine Mike further West than Tulsa. I think he felt a little too far North at Mizzou. If you asked me, Mike was crazy not to take the Georgia job. It seemed clear Mike wasn't too happy in Columbia - something, perhaps his players, prevented him from moving to Athens.

Aside from my general familiarity with Mike and belief that he was not able to keep the Hogs competitively elite as Nolan lost drive, I questioned if Mike was the right hire because there was no energy around the Mizzou program when we came calling. Mizzou has very good basketball fans, and their absence from Mizzou Arena was not a good sign that Mike was going to light things up in Fayetteville.

Of course, I had hope. I smiled as I listened to his press conference on the radio. But I never had high expectations of Mike. My disappointment has been that he hasn't surprised me, and has proven worse at roster management than I imagined.

Many men are qualified to be our head basketball coach. But it will take a rare man to lead us back to national relevance. Mike is unique. But I do not see him as a rare talent.

I hope he assembles a helluva group next fall and proves me wrong.

I'm not trying to be.  I was going to say we actually agree almost completely. 

For some reason, other programs passed on him.  Maybe he was being choosy.  Tulsa wouldn't hire him.  It is kind of like TJ now. 

UGa won't commit to basketball.  Fantastic recruiting region of course.  But they focus on football and let the ACC programs focus on basketball.  It would be a good stepping stone job like Tubby showed.  Mike was already at a better program(or what should be) at Mizzou. 

I think we agree on what was happening with Mizzou especially if you consider how that last season ended and they had no recruiting class partly due to the scholarship imbalance they setup.  Some will tell you he was in good with Otto Porter.  But the team and program was about to be at a crossroads.  He would have had to have gotten that team "back" from their end of season collapse and then the roster was going to turn over after one more season. 

I agree Mike's way he wants to play is still somewhat unique.  But the program has no momentum or interest right now.  He isn't an innovator or a 'special' coach.  I think what success he has will come more from Arkansas kids wanting to be Hogs and a difference maker or two from that group carrying him. 

ArkansasI

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 19, 2016, 12:31:12 pm
I agree Mike's way he wants to play is still somewhat unique.  But the program has no momentum or interest right now.  He isn't an innovator or a 'special' coach.  I think what success he has will come more from Arkansas kids wanting to be Hogs and a difference maker or two from that group carrying him. 
I believe that this is very true.  That is why I have been so concerned as we've watched Arkansas's best players/difference makers leave the state.

Arkansas needs energy.  The fans are no longer buying it.

azhog10

Quote from: HogBreath on April 18, 2016, 04:50:42 pm
Thank you for agreeing. 

Back in the day, I can recall an AZ Hog who was one of my favorite posters.

And yes, a loss is a loss..but that basketball game in Starkville was just flat out terrible.
I think only described in my best Barkley voice. Yes it was very bad, and if we have another season like this last one I'm sure we will be back to agreeing with eachother.

root_hawg

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 19, 2016, 11:54:02 am
Probably the opposite. All the heat will remain on CMA short of him hiring Coach K as his assistant. If anything the Scotty move tells Jeff Long that even when the going gets rough, CMA is going to hire someone in his personal circle above going out and hiring a qualified candidate in the targeted pay range and desired skill set.

I meant from the fans.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 18, 2016, 01:23:55 pm
Agreed, because Hogville would be an awful way to gauge support or displeasure of a coach or AD.

Guys I don't think the average fan will decide when MA is asked to leave as long as 10,000+ keep going to the games.   I think it will be the big money givers who can get a private audience with Jeff Long who can make him act.  Just my thoughts.

hogsanity

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 21, 2016, 08:22:08 am
Guys I don't think the average fan will decide when MA is asked to leave as long as 10,000+ keep going to the games.   I think it will be the big money givers who can get a private audience with Jeff Long who can make him act.  Just my thoughts.

How many games this year had an actual 10,000+ human beings in the stands?Not talking tickets sold, that is another conversation, but actual living breathing human beings in the stands.

MikePiazza

Quote from: hogsanity on April 21, 2016, 08:36:21 am
How many games this year had an actual 10,000+ human beings in the stands?Not talking tickets sold, that is another conversation, but actual living breathing human beings in the stands.

7. Every SEC home game but Vandy & Auburn.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

hogsanity

Quote from: MikePiazza on April 21, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
7. Every SEC home game but Vandy & Auburn.

So only 7 out of 17 games in BWA had over 10k in attendance, that's a problem. I did not count Mercer since it was in LR. 

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on April 22, 2016, 08:24:33 am
So only 7 out of 17 games in BWA had over 10k in attendance, that's a problem. I did not count Mercer since it was in LR.
Make it 8. Texas Tech game had close to 14k.

HoopS

If things go as I think they may with this current roster (plus Ross), they'll show up.

MikePiazza

Quote from: azhog10 on April 22, 2016, 09:26:28 am
Make it 8. Texas Tech game had close to 14k.

You're right, I forgot Tech.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

azhog10

Quote from: HoopS on April 22, 2016, 10:23:23 am
If things go as I think they may with this current roster (plus Ross), they'll show up.
Will be a much needed turnaround for CMA. His '17 class is shaping up, and hopefully the next few years. I think either things have worked better for us in recruiting, or we put in a bigger effort. Can't say which, but the change is clear.